Surviving Mars - Attempting to install mods results in file system error [Win10 Store ver]

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

yxkillz

Recruit
16 Badges
Jun 16, 2019
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Magicka
  • Ship Simulator Extremes
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Magicka 2
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Prison Architect
Description
Attempting to install mods results in file system error [Win10 Store ver]

Windows

Other

What is your game version?
Do you have Space Race installed?
No

Please explain your issue is in as much detail as possible.
The game has issues accessing the file system where Windows 10 apps are installed which results in a file system error whenever any attempts to install mods are made. Even the mod editior is unable to function right.

Can you replicate the issue?
Yes. Just try installing any mod on the Windows 10 store version of the game.

Attachments

Attachments

• Game error message.png
    Game error message.png
    820,4 KB · Views: 192
Upvote 0
Hey! we're investigating this with our mods team. Thanks for reporting!

I am having this same problem as well over a full year later. Very disappointing that it looks like someone that might have been able to help with this issue (Azurespectre) posted the above in June of last year and then never replied again. Was this issue addressed in another thread? I've seen some workarounds posted but I just downloaded the game to PC through my GamePass Ultimate sub, purchased all the DLCs and then tried to start adding mods after launching the game.

My experience is a little different in that I already previously played the game on Xbox, already have a Paradox account setup on Xbox and have been playing with mods for quite a while. As soon as I launched the game on my pc and logged into my Paradox account I immediately began getting error messages the mods I added previously (on the xbox console) could not be added citing the same error message from the OP. Presumably this is occurring because the new game instance on my PC is trying to mirror what I already had setup on my Xbox console.

I get one pop-up error message for every mod I have installed on the Xbox which is about 60 mods. If I click to acknowledge all the error messages it eventually clears them until my mods list shows 0 installed. From that point if I try to install anything I get the error message. Additionally if I close the game and re-open it, the process starts all over again, getting prompted 60+ times for mods that are already in place that can't be installed in the PC instance.

So unless I uninstall all the mods from the console, I'm going to get spammed with these errors every time I load the game. And even if I do, I can't then install mods on the PC instance. So this is still pretty game breaking and again its really disappointing there was initial responsiveness to look into this and then just nothing for over a year. If anyone has an update on this, I'd really appreciate it.

Last edited:
Hi

No mods here, but I lost my saved games.

Is there a solution? I downloaded from MS Game Pass, played it all day yesterday and saved a load of times. When I saved I could see the other files. This afternoon nothing. I don't really want to start again if this is going to happen again. No mods, just one clean install and one game with various saves.

EDIT: I found my hidden saved file directory (below) how do I get the game to see it, or move the files somewhere that it might?
C:\Users\mitch\AppData\Local\Packages\ParadoxInteractive.SurvivingMars_zfnrdv2de78ny\LocalCache\Roaming\Surviving Mars\Save

Last edited:
Hi

No mods here, but I lost my saved games.

Is there a solution? I downloaded from MS Game Pass, played it all day yesterday and saved a load of times. When I saved I could see the other files. This afternoon nothing. I don't really want to start again if this is going to happen again. No mods, just one clean install and one game with various saves.

EDIT: I found my hidden saved file directory (below) how do I get the game to see it, or move the files somewhere that it might?
C:\Users\mitch\AppData\Local\Packages\ParadoxInteractive.SurvivingMars_zfnrdv2de78ny\LocalCache\Roaming\Surviving Mars\Save

Think I may have solved it. I saved a newly created game and it saved it here:
C:\Users\mitch\AppData\Local\Packages\ParadoxInteractive.SurvivingMars_zfnrdv2de78ny\LocalCache\Roaming\Surviving Mars\[my username]
and not under "save"

I moved the saved game files over from ../save to ../[my username] and they appeared in the game loadscreen. They loaded and no problems so far ... not sure why this would change over night. Hope it helps somebody.

NB, You need to view hidden files, so need to change settings for that in WIndows. This is Win10 (64bit), download from Microsoft Game Pass.

Last I heard MS saved them under C:\Users\{UserName}\AppData\Roaming\Surviving Mars\{MS account name}\ ... looks like they've moved them or something? How weird!

I'm having this same problem, no fix anyone gives me seems to work.

Think I may have solved it. I saved a newly created game and it saved it here:
C:\Users\mitch\AppData\Local\Packages\ParadoxInteractive.SurvivingMars_zfnrdv2de78ny\LocalCache\Roaming\Surviving Mars\[my username]
and not under "save"

I moved the saved game files over from ../save to ../[my username] and they appeared in the game loadscreen. They loaded and no problems so far ... not sure why this would change over night. Hope it helps somebody.

NB, You need to view hidden files, so need to change settings for that in WIndows. This is Win10 (64bit), download from Microsoft Game Pass.

There is no /save folder for me anywhere in this filepath, so this is irrelevant but.... if they saved in /username and not under /save, how and why did you move your files from /save to /username? That doesn't make any sense.

Are you done investigating? Mods don't work on PC. It's October 2020 and I constantly get "File System Error" when trying to install mods. I installed the game via Xbox Game Pass for PC. Did you abandon the game?!

So much this. It seems like they acknowledged the problem, realized they can't fix it, and decided to ignore it instead of following up. I wonder if it has something to do with game pass licensing and they just don't want to admit it?

• 2Like
Reactions:
The almighty problem is, Windows stores xbox/win store apps in WindowsApps which is a SYS only folder, and if you give yourself perm to write or read it The files are encrypted.

The only way around it is to dump the game via an UWP dumper

• 1Like
Reactions:
Last edited:
> a long time ago
That xbox beta is from June 2020, last update for SM was Oct 2019.
I doubt Paradox is going to pony up money for a game they already stopped updating (plus the devs are with another publisher working on another game).

Why is Paradox boycotting MS Store? The only version without official mod support, see for example other games like Bethesda's products:

Mod support is a feature implemented in XBox years ago:

There are mods available for both the Win10 store edition and Xbox edition of this game. Can you explain your issue in more detail please?

There are mods available for both the Win10 store edition and Xbox edition of this game. Can you explain your issue in more detail please?
Please, enable XBox mod option: this way will be much easier to work on mods since it will unlock the access to public mod folders for the MS Store edition...

• 1Like
Reactions: