• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

safe-keeper

• ← 2mm hole in reality
54 Badges
Sep 6, 2012
livetkanfly.com
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Semper Fi
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Magicka
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Cities in Motion
  • For the Motherland
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Field Marshal
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Steel Division: Normand 44 Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44 -  Back to Hell
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2
With the last DD covering so much stuff, and garnering several hundreds of replies, I thought it might be an idea to compile as much info as possible into a single post. Feel free to add to this or correct my mistakes.

Essentials of the dev diary (and some Podcat replies):
  • A hotfix is coming up for MP issues. I suppose that's the one that was just released.
  • More info will be revealed at PDXCon this May.
  • Patch coming out in June, but attention focused on next major patch and DLC, which will focus on the eastern front.

• Everything to do with logistics is still WIP and subject to change.
  • Logistics and weather are about to become way more important, and invite more player interaction.
  • Previously supply flowed from capital to frontline via ordinary states. Now the focus is on railroads, which trains use to transport supplies.
    Suplies are transported from rail hub to rail hub to the frontline. Poorly developed rails will act as supply bottlenecks.
  • Trains are going to be an equipment type of their own, used to transport supply.
  • The hope is that the player will want to plan their advance around rail systems, to keep their troops in supply.
  • When rails are captured, there will be a delay before they can be used at full efficiency.
  • Rails and supply hubs are buildable, but costs and time will be obstructive, particulalry in difficult terrain, as devs want you to focus on planning around what is already there.
  • Rivers can also be used as "rails" for supply, as long as you control both banks.
  • Regular infrastructure remains for supply transport, but is capped at level five rather than 10.
  • Strategic redeployment may or may not be closer tied to railroads, or only on railroads.
  • Off-rail supply transport is handled by trucks, or, when you have none, abstracted horse carriages, which transport supply at a lower efficiency. There will also still be local supply, for smaller troop concentrations.
  • From what I gather, the front will be less about constant battles and more about targetted offensives where you try to advance as far as you can before you need to stop advancing and form defensive lines, supply lines permitting.

More of Podcat's follow-up replies:

Release year?

2021 (and again, "some goodies" and a patch are also expected in June)

Italian focus tree?
No.

Supply production or stockpiles?
Supply is still abstracted, and so you can't stockpile or capture supplies.

Railroads to resource locations will "sort of" increase resources gained, more info to come.

German-Soviet railroad gauge difference?

There might be a penalty to simulate the extra time it took the Germans to re-gauge captured Soviet rails.

Armoured trains and railroad guns?
Unconfirmed, more info to come.

l33t specops para-drops on enemy supply hubs?
Yes, the enemy may capture rails behind your lines, so guard them well.

National focuses around infra?
Some will modify rails, some don't. For example, German Autobahn focuses won't.

Changes to air combat system?
Not yet, hopefully for future DLC to reduce micro.

Upcoming focus trees
Some will be "quite large", to the point where focus tree diaries will be split in two.

Future focus trees
Focus tree diaries "pretty soon".
Product manager nags Podcat for South American country pack "daily" :p . Poland is another possibility. I guess this is confirmed with the new Poland DD ;) .

Tank designer?
Neither confirmed nor denied. Podcat was asked and said he'd talk more about the next patch and DLC's features in future dev diaries.

Last edited:
  • 9Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Hopefully if they do SA focus tree they also add a bit of international politics to the US's and Germany's focus trees to reflect their dealing with those countries.

• 2Like
Reactions:
I feel like there shouldn't be a special penalty for german to soviet rails (or the other way around) but rather a general penalty on repairing rail in any non-core province. This would more cleanly cover any ahistorical occupations with different rail gauges.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Even though it can be included in it's own country pack, all this talk of rail roads make me think of the Persian corridor and Iran as on of the possible countries in this expansion.

• 4Like
Reactions:
Even though it can be included in it's own country pack, all this talk of rail roads make me think of the Persian corridor and Iran as on of the possible countries in this expansion.
Even if PDX didn't go as far as to give them get focus trees, I wouldn't be surprised if they got some love in this patch and DLC :) .

Rivers can also be used as "rails" for supply, as long as you control both banks.
That’s a really good inclusion imo! A follow up question of mine(sorry if this is already in the game), is, will the supply system also utilize seaports to deliver supplies closer to the front?

A pet peeve of mine from HOI3, was that the supply system would not use sea convoys to move supplies if you had a contiguous land route back to your capital. It might have gotten patched in eventually(I can’t remember), but playing as Germany you would think it would be very beneficial to capture Leningrad so that you could move tons of supplies to the front by sea without having to drag them all the way through Poland, Belarus, and Western Russia or at least supplement the flow but such was not the case.

Reactions:
Wonder if there will be a garrison order to protect railways and rivers
Very good question. At the very least there should be one for railroad hubs.

Reactions: