• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Unintellectual

Corporal
48 Badges
Dec 31, 2016
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Prison Architect
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
I've finally managed to get elected as the Byzantine Emperor, and I'm instantly having issues.

I reclaim Constantinople for myself, get coronated, and suddenly I can no longer recruit a single levy from any of my vassals. Confused, I checked to see why they were providing nothing to me- there is a 100% law malus. Huh? I check the laws and everything is normal. Low feudal obligations, medium crown authority, not to mention that the previous emperor, mere moments before his death, was able to field nearly 20,000 troops from his vassals alone.

Needless to say, this is a game breaking bug.

So I reloaded and found that the decision which reclaims Constantinople caused the issue. So, I avoided it. Got into a fun civil war and everything is going fine.

Mid way through the war, and the vassal issue returns- from maybe 13,000 troops, to 0 out of nowhere.

Im running about 30 mods, but they are all very light and mostly cosmetic, with the exception of a couple which I've added for this run, titled "VIET Events", "Co-Emperors and Symbasileus (HIP)", "Better AI: Roleplaying education focus", "Imperial Stratocracy: HIP" (the version which is compatible with Better AI: Roleplaying focus.) (I've treid disabling these before loading a save right before becoming emperor and it doesn't help.)

None of these should mess with Byzantine laws like this. I'd appreciate any help, insights, or suggestions.

Thanks boys.

EDIT: Also, this is ONLY happening to me a month after becoming emperor. No other NPCs are affected.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Test another save without these mods and see if the problems continue. :)

I've also run into the '0 levies on succession' problem, and I'm fairly confident it's because of a combination of the 'Levy Inefficiency' mechanic for large realms (around -50% to 60% minimum levies for me) as well as the stacking 'Recent Succession x5' modifier you get, which gives (I think) -35% minimum levies. There might be other minor maluses, but I haven't found them.

Anyways, the way I fixed this problem was to increase the 'Feudal Obligations' and 'Crown Authority' as much as possible because it increases the 'Minimum Levy %' (Because if the minimum is 0, then vassals don't give anything).

• 1Like
Reactions:
I don't think that's the issue. Though that could be a problem for some, I don't think that's the issue I'm having.

All of the previous emperors (even before getting crowned) did not have this issue. They would be sitting around 10,000 (which is low-average for the Byzantines) While I have purely my own demesne levies and retinues, nothing else.

Some quirks I've noticed are these:
- After reloading saves, I've noticed that the -100% "law" malus "kicks in" after around a month sometimes. No clue why.
- Vassals of mine that are currently locked in a war with another vassal within my own realm CAN be recruited from, but only as lng as their war lasts. As soon as their war ends, the -100% law malus affects them.
- It has nothing to do with a specific religion- in my first campaign, I was Orthodox, in my current one, I am Catholic (and so are 90% of my vassals.)
- This only happens to my character, shortly after being elected as the Byzantine Emperor.

Over the past week I started a new campaign with only the LIGHTEST mods equipped, none of which should effect law modifiers. I've not tampered with this save whatsoever, or loaded/unloaded mods like I did for the one previous where I ran into this problem.

The only similar situation I've found on the internet is others who can't recruit from vassals, but because they are drastically over the vassal limit. I'm not even close to approaching mine, the Byzantine Empire is not so large in my current campaign.

Thanks for the input so far though, boys. I hope I can get this fixed with your help, or else so ends my CK2 career because I'll never go back to vanilla.

If you want to see any files to help me diagnose this issue then please tell me what to post and how to find it.

Cheers

EDIT: In case I wasn't very clear, I've disabled practically all of the mods mentioned in my first post, minus the VIET Events one.

I've also run into the '0 levies on succession' problem, and I'm fairly confident it's because of a combination of the 'Levy Inefficiency' mechanic for large realms (around -50% to 60% minimum levies for me) as well as the stacking 'Recent Succession x5' modifier you get, which gives (I think) -35% minimum levies. There might be other minor maluses, but I haven't found them.

Anyways, the way I fixed this problem was to increase the 'Feudal Obligations' and 'Crown Authority' as much as possible because it increases the 'Minimum Levy %' (Because if the minimum is 0, then vassals don't give anything).
I think that this MIGHT actually be my issue. I booted up the save and changed the feudal obligation from minimal to low, and was able to recruit a handful of troops- only a 97.5% malus on all of my vassals due to "laws".

I'm gonna do some more lurking around to see what's going on.

If it really IS that accursed "Recent Succession x5" modifier, then I MUST know how to remove that from the game, because only I am getting it. AI gets off scot-free and I'm not cool with that- there's no way for me to be able to wait out that horrible modifier because I'm dethroned before my coronation is over by the 10 million factions in the Empire. I'm sure it can't be intended this way.

Seriously, I get that low obligations is bad but I'm sitting at HIGH crown authority and can't recruit a single chap from my vassals?

• 1Like
Reactions:
I have the EXACT same problem and was about to post about it. I have a -89% malus due to “laws” after a succession. Is this working as designed? I have a few submods too.

EDIT: Okay it's definitely recent succession. I've edited the modifiers to be a little less harsh and hopefully that will help. I've played HIP for like a thousand hours and never seen this before. It's under emf_core if you want to change it.

Editing the core EMF file worked. I reduced the malus by about 40% and it seems more fair to me now.

Last edited:
Reactions:
I have the EXACT same problem and was about to post about it. I have a -89% malus due to “laws” after a succession. Is this working as designed? I have a few submods too.

EDIT: Okay it's definitely recent succession. I've edited the modifiers to be a little less harsh and hopefully that will help. I've played HIP for like a thousand hours and never seen this before. It's under emf_core if you want to change it.

Editing the core EMF file worked. I reduced the malus by about 40% and it seems more fair to me now.
Weird.

I've also played forever and don't remember this happening even once. Is this unique to Frosty 3 or something?

The annoying thing about that modifier is that it ONLY effects you, the player, from what I've seen. I thought it used to affect everyone?

So confused. I'm considering removing it entirely if that's possible.

PS: How exactly do I find emf_core, and what line(s) do I edit?

Last edited:
Weird.

I've also played forever and don't remember this happening even once. Is this unique to Frosty 3 or something?

The annoying thing about that modifier is that it ONLY effects you, the player, from what I've seen. I thought it used to affect everyone?

So confused. I'm considering removing it entirely if that's possible.

PS: How exactly do I find emf_core, and what line(s) do I edit?
What I did was do a file search and just look for recent_succession in the file emf_core. To find emf_core, simply search for it in your common folder and then edit the values to be whatever you want. I took it from like 0.07 to .04 — make sure to edit all of them, for feudal, city and temple vassals alike.