• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Henring

Private
Sep 6, 2020
Hello there,

So, here I am. Already posted a thread in bug reports still waiting for an awnser, replied to similar threads and now i decide to come here, hoping to have some response, and tips to fix the issue i am facing.
Let's start with the beginning. I have the last version of CK2, and i bought Sunset Invasion and The Republic during the Steam Winter Sales. I am planning to explore the full CK2 games and DLC and only a few are not in my possession : Jade Dragon, Conclave, Reaper's Due and Horse Lords.
And by so, i mean also getting the achievements, cause, you see, i am the kind of scum who identify himself as an achievement hunter. I consider having finished a game when I got all of them, so i'm praying you not to judge me on this.
And finishing CK2 means for me being able to freely move to CK3.

So, this is the full context. Now, let's go for the issue.
If you read the title, you know what I mean.
The events are trigerring, anouncing the arrival of the Aztecs, but when the Sunset Invasion is announced, the only thing that actually happens are the aztecs troops dropping in a random county and sitting there... Menacingly. But technicaly, they're just doing tourism.
I've tried at least 10 to 15 games. Everytime, the Aztecs are chilling where they land and stay like this until the game ends.
I've been looking for a way to fix this.
Some says it's because they can't attack pagans, but all countries they land on are either christians or muslims, so it's not this.
Other says it's an issue of diplomatic distance. i tried to check this by modifiying the rule and still, the aztecs keep chilling.
I tried to assassinate as many rulers I could, for no result.
I tried to test a fix in the casus belli game files, even though it makes my games non elligible for achievements. Still the same. Aztecs not attacking at all.
Some says its because I need Horse Lords. Eventually, i'll buy it in a next sale, but i've seen awnsers that says it's not this.

So, I am running out of options and I come here asking for help. And also, if you face the same issue, don't hesitate to give your voice.
Even though I am more frustrated for the achievements, I have to admit it's a shame to have a DLC that only propose an invasion that actually never triggers.

My deepest apologizes for the poor english too.

This is a long-time bug and I don't think there's any way to fix it without the console.

With the console (ie. not ironman), you could probably: give the emperor a single county, switch to him, declare war, switch back.

However, in ironman, I don't think there's anything you can do except restart (or revert to an earlier backup). Which sucks if you're in a long game and want the achievement. :-/

EDIT: If all you want are the achievements, you could: get a claimant into your court; give them a county; press their claim on the Aztec Empire; win*; they become landed and independent**; attack them; win; get achievements. Not worth the hassle IMO, but YMMV.

* This assumes you can win a claim war from nothing but battles. May or may not work in practice.
** Compare with the current Aztec Empire, which is titular and independent.

Last edited:
Guess it's worth the try. Still, a bit of a shame to see all these guys on youtube having no problems with Aztecs like I do. I'll still have the feeling to miss something.
I'll keep updates.

Yeah, it's a bug that occasionally happens, but I have no idea why it's happening to you so frequently.

(Incidentally, when this bug happens it means since they're unlanded, it's possible as a fellow pagan of any variety with the right succession law to marry yourself or your heir into the end of their line of succession and kill off the rest of the line so you inherit the empire title, the event troops and their starting cash, if you want to suddenly become stupid powerful for whatever reason...)

• 1Like
Reactions:
That's interesting. I may consider this as an alternative if no claimer desire to join my court. I am curently running the Empire of Scandinavia as a reformed germanic ruler and the invasion is set to XIII century, so, in my game, it's hapening in 200 years.

• 1Like
Reactions:
(Incidentally, when this bug happens it means since they're unlanded, it's possible as a fellow pagan of any variety with the right succession law to marry yourself or your heir into the end of their line of succession and kill off the rest of the line so you inherit the empire title, the event troops and their starting cash, if you want to suddenly become stupid powerful for whatever reason...)

Is "fellow pagan" really necessary?
  • Maybe to invite a son to your court for matri-marriage (with elective succession, where your grandson will inherit)? But temporary conversion to paganism would suffice for this.
  • Maybe to arrange a regular marriage to your son? But you can probably do this as any religion by buying a favor.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Here is the update !
I think i'm almost there. I just invited the successor of the Aztec Empire into my court, as Emperor of Scandinavia (Germanic). I gave him a little county I just conquered just for it. I gave him independance. I can choose to kill him or the Emperor, no matter who dies, the Aztec Empire will finaly be landed.
What isn't really fun though is that i'm not really ready to face them. For now.

• 1Like
Reactions:
What isn't really fun though is that i'm not really ready to face them. For now.

If they only have 1 county, it's easy - bait their armies away, then swoop in and fully occupy that county. (Send as many troops as are supported by the supply limit, plus a siege general, so that you can assault as quickly as possible.) Instant 100% warscore!

If they only have 1 county, it's easy - bait their armies away, then swoop in and fully occupy that county. (Send as many troops as are supported by the supply limit, plus a siege general, so that you can assault as quickly as possible.) Instant 100% warscore!

Perhaps, but I think the achievement requieres to annihilate their troups too. I thinks it is doable if I spam war on them, their event troops can't really grow back, i guess.
Anyway, I am planning to expand before i attack them. Already have 50k troops with medium tribal authority law + 7k from holy order i vassalized. Shouldn't take too long before I have the men to crush them ^^

• 1Like
Reactions:
Perhaps, but I think the achievement requieres to annihilate their troups too.

Good point. I just checked the wiki and you're correct.

To do that conventionally, you're going to need a lot of high-quality troops. (IIRC, they get about 150k fairly low-quality troops. Unless you gave them a province with really good tech, in which case they might be medium-quality.)

If you want to do it unconventionally (and you are not temporal head of your religion[1]), try: getting your ruler all of the warrior lodge commander traits[2], moving every subunit of your army into one flank, and setting your ruler as that flank's commander. Once you have 6-7 commander traits (and, hopefully, a martial stat in the mid-20s), any flank led by your ruler will melt enemy armies 10x its size.

Further, if you have shattered retreat turned on in game rules, you should expect the war to drag on for quite a long time.

---

[1] Weird things can happen if you change religion while being temporal head. In general, it's not a good idea to risk it (unless you never want to go back to that religion). This is why I personally always go heirocratic or autonomous.
[2] Get to rank 2, get the trait, leave, wait for the cooldown to expire, pause, convert to another pagan religion via a concubine, click "join" on the warrior lodge, convert back to your original religion.

Last edited:
Well, actually, i don't need to really think when i go to war with them.
I just went full monkey on them. Their conquest of the Francia and Hispania territory made them go from 180k troops to 24 troops. I think making able to assault 5 tier holdings helped a lot bringing down the number (+ siege events i guess)
Taking aztecs down shouldn't be a big challenge.

EDIT :unlocked the achievement Medieval Shlieffen, the Mongol Empire conquered Hispania before converting to islam. Aztecs took away their counties except one.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Here it is. The Aztecs are no more. After conquering West Francia and a good part of Hispania, the Crusade and the Muslim took back the land, with also my intervention.
And the achievement is mine.
What a relief. Now, i can move on and conquer the rest of the achievements without worrying of the Aztecs event not firing properly. Still mad that it will remain bugged forever and i won't experience the fear of the arrival of this foreign invader, nor the thrill of the preparation to resist the doomstacks flooding my lands.

Thanks a lot to you all for your suggestions and advices, I would have kept hoping for the event to fire like an idiot, instead of thinking of mariage/court tricks.
I hope this thread will also help those who are struggling like me with this kind of bug.

• 1Like
Reactions: