Summary of HBS developer AMA on Reddit

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
And no one asked about Quads?

They've already said No Quads.

Quads, like LAMs, require a ton of changes for a tiny number of mechs. Quads require a different damage track, different movement styles, different stability rules, as well as different animations and in-game things. It's like, a completely different world. Same issue with LAMs, (ignoring the getting sued by HG aspect) you would basically have to implement Aerotech just for a few mechs that basically got retconned out. I'm not saying Quads and Aerotechs aren't cool, but I would think the ROI on the effort is low.

Any word on ECM being added to the game?

ECM doesn't exist in this timeframe. It doesn't show up until 3039, and even then isn't in the hands of mercs. Same's true about AMS.

ECM doesn't exist in this timeframe. It doesn't show up until 3039, and even then isn't in the hands of mercs.

ECM, in 3025, does exist but it's a bulky 7 ton experimental lash-up in Liao space in extraordinarily rare amounts. Capellan researchers had a prototype working in 3024.

Quads, like LAMs, require a ton of changes for a tiny number of mechs. Quads require a different damage track, different movement styles, different stability rules, as well as different animations and in-game things. It's like, a completely different world. Same issue with LAMs, (ignoring the getting sued by HG aspect) you would basically have to implement Aerotech just for a few mechs that basically got retconned out. I'm not saying Quads and Aerotechs aren't cool, but I would think the ROI on the effort is low.

I know, I was being facetious. When you've heard Mitch go from "in success all things are possible, including quads", to "not just no, but HELL NO" to quads, it's fun to poke a little bit now and again.
It's become it's own entity now, it's not even just a meme. The quest for quads is now something to be brought up in jest just to watch Mitch go apoplectic.

ECM doesn't exist in this timeframe. It doesn't show up until 3039, and even then isn't in the hands of mercs. Same's true about AMS.

Good to know. Didn't realize that about AMS either.

So many changes to the single player champaign... but i feel like they had to be done before the release, because by the time they will be out (concidering most of them isn't even in development yet), most of the players will already complete game. I'd rather saw new champaign as a dlc with all those features, possibly even using your save file with all your gear and taking place after the story events. Of course i am not agains adding them to the current champaign, but it would be much better if new one was released alongsinde. Also, apart from current tasks - remaking and reballancing current ones could be great. It's not use having an escape zone that is fully blocked by enemies who just spawn there, for example. Enemies that just appear without even dropship coming isn't good either.

Great that we will have lostech in multiplayer. Sad that server errors not adressed. Wonder, will we have pilot customization there?

ECM, in 3025, does exist but it's a bulky 7 ton experimental lash-up in Liao space in extraordinarily rare amounts. Capellan researchers had a prototype working in 3024.

Much like Sarna, I've always considered it apocryphal. ( http://www.sarna.net/wiki/ECM_3025 )

I mean, you could rationalize any LosTech or prototypes based on LosTech in. Some of it probably exists in some cache SOMEWHERE (or got looted off Wolf's Dragoons). My larger concern is, it breaks suspension of disbelief even further if you give it to random AI spawns, because how many people are out there still finding SLDF caches? And if you don't give it to AI, then the PC units are just that much more OP. The game is already pretty easy.

I agree the Raven looks pretty cool.

ive been taking it slow and steady so i dont get to that end content too fast .... gives them some more time to get that DLC or FreeLC out there. maybe have some more backgrounds than just being a noble... also maybe having the chance to find different people to populate the Argo. i think some more contracts that take you further away than just one world which just seems to move you back and forth between 2 worlds would be nice as well

Character backstory missions seem like an obvious way to offer something between campaign story and random side missions. Also, I'd really like to be able to negotiate with some of those pilots/vets you go up against. Join up, surrender, or die.

Grudges is really exciting. It was really cool in MW4 for the enemy mercenaries to remember you, and for enemies you were facing to hire Mercs to fight you.

I was dealing massive damage to the Taurians (including on their capital) and it would have been cool to walk into a mission and have the Taurians go “fuck off, you’ve been screwing with us for a while so here’s a heavy Merc lance to ruin your day.”

The UrbanMech is in the game? Oo I literally didn't come across a single one during my campaign.

I never fought one (but I haven’t been to Liao space yet either) but I bought one in Taurian space for the fun of it.

Weapons are being rebalanced. In particular lostech weapons will get a boost.

FFS, no. Just leave it alone.

You know what made me ultimately hate MWO? This. People would whine about weapon balance every single patch, devs would adjust the weapons and cause new complaints, and the game would see-saw between different weapons being 'always use this loadout / never use that loadout'. Eventually this got so convoluted and stupid that the game had to start implementing concepts like 'ghost heat' and gauss cannons that instantly exploded the moment they were nicked with MG fire.

Forget the whiners, because there are always going to be a hundred more whiners over the horizon when you try to make 'balance' adjustments.

Leave. It. Alone. Numbers should be absolutely set in stone the moment they are made live, IMHO. If people don't like them, they can always mod them (alternatively, maybe there could be options sliders to adjust energy weapon heat?).

idk why i see it plastered all over the place about extra expansions and dlc when the game as pitched for the money that made it possible (from kickstarter backers) hasn't even been finished yet. So if any extra paid features are announced when a slew of stuff from the initial kickstarter hasn't even made it into the game there will be backlash with a vengeance.

idk why i see it plastered all over the place about extra expansions and dlc when the game as pitched for the money that made it possible (from kickstarter backers) hasn't even been finished yet. So if any extra paid features are announced when a slew of stuff from the initial kickstarter hasn't even made it into the game there will be backlash with a vengeance.
Cut features are things that were already cut. While I'm sure they'll work for as many of them as feasible, they are not obligated to pursue any particular feature.

Did anyone ask about expanding what the Company has access to, like an augmented lance from Capella? The ground vehicles are already in the game and the Company seems to be much larger than just 6 Warriors and 4 support staff. Plus according to the artbook they already have implemented colour scheme changes, and as some people have been complaining, they aren't exactly instant deathtraps. Maybe have only access of up to four at once but sacrifing two 'Mechs or another configuration of two at once with a full lance of 'Mechs, as well as having either no pilots or seperate pilot types

please... no clans any time soon UNLESS you have missions where we can run into other Merc units. One being the Wolfs Dragoons in their "never before seen" mechs lol. Id just once love a BT game that can focus in the IS and not have to deal with Clans or Clan tech and so on. Much later... sure. But there is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much more you can do in the IS leading up to the Clans. Please dont do a PGI and jump right into it as a money grab.

please... no clans any time soon UNLESS you have missions where we can run into other Merc units. One being the Wolfs Dragoons in their "never before seen" mechs lol. Id just once love a BT game that can focus in the IS and not have to deal with Clans or Clan tech and so on. Much later... sure. But there is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much more you can do in the IS leading up to the Clans. Please dont do a PGI and jump right into it as a money grab.

So much this

Yeah, I would prefer they focused on improving the base game, multiplayer, and maybe a single-player expansion in the intervening years before touching Clans. Like, if people still love this game and its mechanics three or four years from now, maybe then, in a full-fledged sequel.

Clans aren't needed at this point in the game. As stated before, there is so much to still discover and do in this era. I mean we still have the whole 4th Succession War coming up. That in itself leads to a huge amount of possible DLC/freeLC. "After making a name for yourself in the periphery, a number of major Houses are now seeking you out for work. Etc, etc" Not to mention chance encounters with well known merc units, planet wide campaigns. The list goes on and on.

I doubt they will rush the clans, there is still so much more they can do first. On the other hand it would be nice to get some of the mechanics needed for "better tech", like endo,ff, UAC,RAC,LBX etc. as they can't really be modded in easily if at all currently, just so people have more option for mods and stories. I am just glad that it sold well an there will be more things coming.

Character backstory missions seem like an obvious way to offer something between campaign story and random side missions. Also, I'd really like to be able to negotiate with some of those pilots/vets you go up against. Join up, surrender, or die.
OOOhhhh yeah i really like that idea as well building your forces from captured mechwarriors would be awesome .... at first they would be untrustworthy a bit depending on your reputation but then slowly they advance once they realize your doing pretty good ... or even having your people get dissatisfied with the choices you make ... great idea there