- Jul 17, 2010
IntroductionImperator Rome v.1.4 Archimedes
This thread will be updated regularly. It will be discontinued when a new patch comes out and a new thread will take its place.
Why do I care: EU:Rome was my very first of many Paradox games way back in 2009 and has a special place in my heart. (And I’m a stupid Rome nerd)
- The Map we play on is THE most important thing to constantly see. Very big objects that “gets in the way” must be avoided if possible.
- Utilize dead space. Everything must have a clear meaning. A very big, pretty picture is of no real meaning and can be half the size.
- Scale - All windows/tabs should be of the same scale at 100%. One window/tab that is much larger than another is a no-go.
- Clarity - Everything must be easy to see and understand from a first glance. If you fail to understand with basic knowledge, then the UI has failed you.
What can we learn from EU4?
- You can easily see what tech you will unlock at next tech
- You can easily see what shock & morale you currently get from tech
- You can easily see all modifiers, how better your troops are from tech
- Small & compact UI, although Imperator’s Tech UI isn’t too bad
Stellaris is perfect in terms of actual mechanicsChanges:
- Stellaris Style: Actually research the Inventions. No more weird money throwing. It’s much more dynamic and let the player chose what they want to research
- When selecting a new research, a new tab will open that only have the research for that researcher available. (Like Stellaris)
- What we are researching should sometimes have more impact than just modifiers, like new Tactics to use, things that makes you want to get that thing fast
- Display what is being researched properly. No hiding things inside the Tooltip unless necessary.
- Statesmanship icon is removed and statesmanship progress bar is implemented together with the skill, which makes the most sense and is less confusing.
- Research Tree / Technology Tree. Paradox should really start to implement the Tech tree’s into their games, instead of relying on the Wiki.
- Researched. We can see what we actually have researched.
- Characters should display their names. And if from a Great family, it should show their colours. If scorned, that should show too
- Picture - Character picture is copied and pasted from the government tab. So it isn’t larger than that.
I succeeded in getting much more relevant information inside by taking better advantage of the Tech UI, and making tech more dynamic.
I failed to get even 3 of the 4 researchers into the Tech tab. But here is the idea anyway, which I think is vastly better than Imperator Tech UI in 1.4 Archimedes
This system shows much more information and let the player interact better with the research system.