• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Good to hear. It should be in the next version barring someone coming up with compelling reasons to use something else or something weird happening (e.g. an accidental revert on that file after I commit the changes).
I would still recommend using ’army/jun’ as the administrative subdivisions of duke level viceroys as opposed to fanzhen but that is just being fussy on my part.Fanzhen also works fine,just a bit less formal than Jun.By the Song Dynasty,every Jiedushi is basically known as ‘Jiedushi of X army/jun’.

I guess it's impossible to be accurate organizationally given the game's limitations, but here're some info to consider anyway.

Tang started out with something like 10 dao, but by the end, the number grew to about 20. Fanzhen was generic term for a military-administrative area, not a division unit. Jiedushi were either given a dao or a new administrative area would be carved out for them, called 軍 /jun/army.

Anything that was headed by a jiedushi was a fanzhen, both dao and jun. This is why some places had the word jun permanently attached to them, like Guiyi, Xuanwu, Jinghai... These things had their origins in 都督府/dudu fu, or the military office of the dudu. In critical places, zhou would be converted to dudu fu. Hence in later eras, bigger zhou were called fu, but they were the same level. If the fu contained less than 10 zhous, it was a dudu fu; if more, it would be a da dudu fu. In the newly conquered areas, dudu fu were called 都護府 /duhu fu. This is the western protectorate in vanilla. I'm not sure about the ranking between jiedushi and da dudu, but jiedushi were certainly given a greater mandate. Annan duhu Gao Pian asked the Tang government to turn Annam into a jun (Jinghai) and him into a jiedushi.

Last edited:
I guess it's impossible to be accurate organizationally given the game's limitations, but here're some info to consider anyway.

Tang started out with something like 10 dao, but by the end, the number grew to about 20. Fanzhen was generic term for a military-administrative area, not a division unit. Jiedushi were either given a dao or a new administrative area would be carved out for them, called 軍 /jun/army.

Anything that was headed by a jiedushi was a fanzhen, both dao and jun. This is why some places had the word jun permanently attached to them, like Guiyi, Xuanwu, Jinghai... These things had their origins in 都督府/dudu fu, or the military office of the dudu. In critical eras, zhou would be converted to dudu fu. Hence in later eras, bigger zhou were called fu, but they were the same level. If the fu contained less than 10 zhous, it was a dudu fu; if more, it would be a da dudu fu. In the newly conquered areas, dudu fu were called 都護府 /duhu fu. This is the western protectorate in vanilla. I'm not sure about the ranking between jiedushi and da dudu, but jiedushi were certainly given a greater mandate. Annam duhu Gao Pian asked the Tang government to turn Annam into a jun (Jinghai) and him into a jiedushi.
Technically speaking jiedushi doesn’t have any rank until the Song Dynasty.In the Tang Dynasty Jiedushi is just a ‘designated government post’ like Supreme Allied Commander Europe.The government post from which they derived their actual rank from are usually posts like the various great generals/諸大將軍.Periodically though Jiedushis in both the Song and Tang Dynasty actually got promoted to the post of dadudu after a long period of service.From this we can see that there’s greater prestige in the title of dadudu than simply just Jiedushi even if the title of dadudu was functionally meaningless.Moreover during the Yuan and Ming period the post of dadudu actually became functional again and became the supreme commander of all imperial forces—therefore did become superior in the command chain over the rank of Jiedushi.

It’s not terribly accurate to use the rank dadudu to rule over kingdoms,but we would still need to simulate a rank that’s higher than Jiedushi, and I think it’s better than great Jiedushi because there’s no such post as great Jiedushi in China’s history.Alternatively we could just use the Song Dynasty title of ZhiZhishi 制置使.

Last edited: