• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Meshed Gear

First Lieutenant
50 Badges
Apr 21, 2017
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Surviving Mars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Victoria 2
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Knights of Pen and Paper 2
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
Background: started as the Duchess of Kiev in 769, currently ~940. Bought Holy Fury and Jade Dragon during the summer sale, so this is my first time playing with those dlcs. Currently the Empress of Rus, working on forming Russia and the Slavic Union. Reformed the Slavic faith, the King of Saxony reformed the Norse faith about two years afterwards. Crusades, Great Holy War, and Jihad all unlocked. Charlemagne accomplished nothing.

I'm sure some of these issues are already addressed in CK3, but I am also sure they aren't all.

The Kingdom of Saxony reforming the Norse faith was the height of their power. Since then, the fylkir lost the throne, becoming just a duke, and more importantly lost the crown artifact. One of the petty counts in Norway holds it at the moment, it has been passed around a bit in the last 100 years. But it doesn't appear there is any motivation for the fylkir to try and reclaim the physical manifestation of their religious authority, which feels odd. And the counts can't do anything with it, it is useless to them. I think there should be an event for the head of a religion to try and reclaim their religious artifact. Whether through demands, subterfuge, bribery, or pledging some other compensation to the current owner.

Moral authority. You can hover over a religion's moral authority and it will tell you about the religion. But not what factors caused the current level of moral authority, which is what I really want to know if I am hovering over another religion's moral authority. Tell me that Catholics have a pope if I am hovering over the word Catholic. Tell me how many temples have been looted, holy sites controlled, religious wars won, when I hover over moral authority.

Speaking of holy wars, there is currently a steppe nomad that is the target of three separate holy wars from some of my vassals. All for the same duchy. Of course, none of them will gain the required warscore on their own, though together they could. Which of course means they will all be defeated, one by one. But there is no way for them to cooperate. I think it would make sense if characters in this situation had the possibility to suggest pooling their resources for the good of the faith, converting the separate wars into a mini-crusade (if the religion has crusades, jihads, or great holy wars active). Use individual contributions to decide what share of the spoils each party get if they are victorious. Zealots and holy warriors should probably be very willing to suggest or agree to this, greedy or cynical characters unwilling. Create a little event popup informing people in both faiths, and rulers in the general region, about this turn of events. With the religious head getting a decision on whether to send some support, make a token gesture, or just ignore it.

I was surprised when Jihads unlocked, because I didn't know the Muslims were threatened in any way. Thought perhaps a religious revolt had captured a duchy or something. But then I saw the Kingdom of Jerusalem was held by a young man with an angelic bloodline, which apparently means he won the children's crusade. I heard absolutely nothing about this, which seems very odd. I feel there should have been a message telling me about it, perhaps distorted by the story being thirdhand. But maintaining the central message that a child went and won a crusade. Perhaps the dismissal option being 'They are fools. But perhaps, not complete fools.' I'm assuming the other event crusades also won't tell me anything as well, unless they specifically attack me.

The Pope declared a crusade against me. Got a useful icon at the top of my screen saying how long until it is declared. Some people pledged to him, my vassal queens pledged to defend me... and then nothing. Things just fizzled out. I assume the Pope called the crusade off because we were too strong for his force, but I did not receive any confirmation. Once again, a message saying what happened would be appreciated. Even if it was just 'The Pope calls off the crusade.'

Those are issues I can think of off the top of my head, without having the game open at the moment. I would have mentioned not being able to see what reformation options the Norse took, but I know that issue is being changed in CK3.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Upvote 0
The Pope called a crusade for Aquitaine, which was approximately divided in half between the Catholic King of Aquitaine and the Iberian Muslims. This crusade succeeded, resulting in the King being both king of Aquitaine and of Crusader Aquitaine. Which seems rather silly.

I spent a day or two thinking it over, and feel like a better alternative than making a crusader kingdom title is to give the kingdom itself a character modifier. Click on the shield to look at the Kingdom of Aquitaine (or whatever kingdom the crusade happened to be for) and see a 'crusader kingdom' modifier. This could help with making immediate reconquests less likely as well, if a successful crusade gives the kingdom temporary modifiers that strengthen it either militarily or diplomatically for a year, a decade, or a century.

Edit

On the other hand, I as a reformed slavic won a great holy war for Finland against the Queen of Sapmi. Only for the conquered land to be given over to the Tengri nomad Khan who held the title King of Finland. Which felt very wrong, to say the least. Which I suppose is a strong demonstration of why the crusades create titular titles for the kingdoms. But it feels like the situations are backwards. The King of Aquitaine didn't need an extra title, whereas a Slavic Finland title would have prevented the land being ceded to an infidel who happened to have a claim on it.

In summary, I think titular crusade titles should be created if someone who isn't getting the title is already king or queen of whatever land was being targeted. Otherwise, just creating or usurping the title should be fine.

It would also be situationally useful if crusades had the option to include targets besides the principal enemy who have land in the target kingdom. It is a bit pointless to declare one for a kingdom... that is a half dozen independent dukes or simply border gore, since you can only conquer the lands of one.

More of a bug, but my character successfully defended against a Catholic crusade and is now known as 'the sword of Jesus.' Going to assume this isn't intentional behaviour.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: