• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Surely though for simple diplomatic action additions, it would be cheaper to do diplo_range as a decision filter, rather than doing all, and then checking for diplo_range?
Presumably your action has more conditions than just diplomatic range. Almost certainly, most of them are cheaper than checking diplomatic range.
Given that, checking those things from "all" and then diplomatic range is almost certainly cheaper than a diplomatic range filter would be.

Presumably your action has more conditions than just diplomatic range. Almost certainly, most of them are cheaper than checking diplomatic range.
Given that, checking those things from "all" and then diplomatic range is almost certainly cheaper than a diplomatic range filter would be.
mmmm I guess.

Also while I have your attention, any good news on getting some flank scopes? :D

Diplo range is a somewhat expensive check, so having that be the first thing you filter on doesn't really make much sense.
In almost all cases it'll likely be cheaper to do all_characters and then have some cheap conditions, and only finally check diplo-range.

Right, gotcha. You're checking all characters to see if they're in range anyway, I don't know why that didn't occur to me when I made that suggestion. :rolleyes:

Also while I have your attention, any good news on getting some flank scopes? :D
It's something I want to do, but the question is whether I'll have time to do it. We don't have a vanilla usecase for it, so that makes finding time for it more difficult.

Right, gotcha. You're checking all characters to see if they're in range anyway, I don't know why that didn't occur to me when I made that suggestion. :rolleyes:
Exactly, yeah.

Can we get the ability to set variables on artifacts? We can scope to them sorta, so it might make sense to be able to get variables on them.

Also health doesn't work currently exporting to a variable.
Yeah that is one as well that I have reported too Korbah :D My duel engine is still better I am sure! :D

@blackninja9939, I'll steer this question to you since you helped develop the GoT mod: do you think having a real_mother code to match the real_father code would be useful for certain scenarios in the GoT mod? I'm thinking of R=L=J in particular, in which both his real parents could be hidden. I also imagine this could be useful for modders when making adoption decisions/events they make, with the adopted parents becoming the official ones, and the birth parents becoming hidden through real_father/real_mother code. Seems like it could be useful for a few different role-playing scenarios in some mods.

@blackninja9939, I'll steer this question to you since you helped develop the GoT mod: do you think having a real_mother code to match the real_father code would be useful for certain scenarios in the GoT mod? I'm thinking of R=L=J in particular, in which both his real parents could be hidden. I also imagine this could be useful for modders when making adoption decisions/events they make, with the adopted parents becoming the official ones, and the birth parents becoming hidden through real_father/real_mother code. Seems like it could be useful for a few different role-playing scenarios in some mods.
You can use a cached trait and a dynamic character flag to easily scope to such things currently. As for the real_mother scope it would only really be useful for those very specific cases like R+L=J and would have next to no use at all in vanilla so would be extremely low priority on the list of modding things desired.

It's something I want to do, but the question is whether I'll have time to do it. We don't have a vanilla usecase for it, so that makes finding time for it more difficult.

Sir, if you don't mind, do you think you could check out the proposition I made about the Pentarchies a few pages back? You seem to be responding to some of the recent posts, so I thought I'd like to get mine in. Adding dynamic localization for Pentarchies would be really good for modding.

You can use a cached trait and a dynamic character flag to easily scope to such things currently. As for the real_mother scope it would only really be useful for those very specific cases like R+L=J and would have next to no use at all in vanilla so would be extremely low priority on the list of modding things desired.

While I agree on the rest, you definitely cannot use cached traits to signify "A is real mother of B" or in general "A bears X relation to B" since traits only relate to their bearer and no second party, so to speak.

While I agree on the rest, you definitely cannot use cached traits to signify "A is real mother of B" or in general "A bears X relation to B" since traits only relate to their bearer and no second party, so to speak.

But you can use dynamic flags! it is more complex to reveal them, but dynamic flags can easily be used in this way, I gave you code doing this years ago..

But you can use dynamic flags! it is more complex to reveal them, but dynamic flags can easily be used in this way, I gave you code doing this years ago..

Ok, It's doable, it's jus not really practical. Say, character A has the flag real_mother_of_@<some character ID>. And you want to scope from A to said character; you have to do any_character = { limit = { <scope to A> = { has_character_flag = real_mother_of_@PREV } } }.

As you well know, this is horribly for performance, specially if you have to do this check regularly for all characters.

Ok, It's doable, it's jus not really practical. Say, character A has the flag real_mother_of_@<some character ID>. And you want to scope from A to said character; you have to do any_character = { limit = { <scope to A> = { has_character_flag = real_mother_of_@PREV } } }.

As you well know, this is horribly for performance, specially if you have to do this check regularly for all characters.
Or give them a cached trait as well...

Or give them a cached trait as well...

Except cached traits would only relieve the performance burden on triggers, since you cannot scope in effects to all characters with a cached trait without going through any_character, which again should be avoided in general for perfomance reasons.

I dont know if this has been suggested or not.. with search bringing up nothing, but I think it would be super nice if we could have a 'is playable = yes' Tag or something for government types that are currently hardcoded unplayable, such as Theocracies or none-merchant Republics. As it is right now, the only way to make them 'playable' is to fake it with a Feudal Government that simply shares traits/sucession with the others.