Suggestion: how to realistically limit aircraft spam.

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I think there is a simple solution. Make the difference between veteran pilots and green pilots much bigger. Green pilots should be like cannon fodder to a wing of veteran pilots in superior planes. That was actually real life in WW2. Encourage the production of quality over quantity for both pilots and aircraft
:)
fighter pilot training has to be restricted enough that it doesn't make sense to spam fighters.
:) Something like say, 9 months of training?

• 3Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
Thank you for all the replies. It sounds like the problem is recognized by all, but solutions are not agreed upon by all. My solution, to simply have percentage of manpower that can be assigned to the air force - or maybe fighter pilots - seems the simplest to me. Decisions or focuses could be used to increase that pool (probably with trade offs) could be added as an afterthought to mods or to nations with historical options. (Glider/Pilot schools/youth aircraft clubs, air shows/competitions, etc...)

It seems like many of the other ideas posed here would call for overhauls, more micromanagement, dedicated aircraft factories, training wings, etc... All would complicate the game more, adding more micromanagement, but could all also address the issue in one way or another. I still stand by my simple fix in the light of the responses, but I do want to thank everyone for throwing in their two cents! Hopefully this will help Paradox address the issue for the next patch!

Reactions:
Just what exactly is the problem?

Countries spammed planes like crazy in WW2, same with tanks and other weapons.

Essentially all boils down to bodies, material supply and time.

Yes we can have training pilots on trainers or old aircraft,.. so what? You can fairly easily predict you production number up to infinite, thus if you know you are going to build 4-5k Luftwaffe for France, you better have those pilots ready. So you do that, anyway.

What is the mechanical problem being solved?

If you really want to limit plane spam, just increase the number of manpower needed to crew planes, by a factor of 5 to 10.
After all air forces usually required literal millions of people for various tasks, and game currently is very generous with the amount.

Yes we can have training pilots on trainers or old aircraft,.. so what? You can fairly easily predict you production number up to infinite, thus if you know you are going to build 4-5k Luftwaffe for France, you better have those pilots ready. So you do that, anyway.

If you really want to limit plane spam, just increase the number of manpower needed to crew planes, by a factor of 5 to 10.
After all air forces usually required literal millions of people for various tasks, and game currently is very generous with the amount.
I think the air superiority mechanic causes lopsided AI production, or at least that is part of the issue. It tends toward overproduction of fighters because there's no need for bombers in the game to get land combat buffs.
Your manpower idea may work in multi-player but I'd be concerned it may break the AI.

• 2Like
Reactions:
I think the air superiority mechanic causes lopsided AI production, or at least that is part of the issue. It tends toward overproduction of fighters because there's no need for bombers in the game to get land combat buffs.
Your manpower idea may work in multi-player but I'd be concerned it may break the AI.

The AI doesn't make enough fighters, unless you play a version that forces the AI to play competitively, like Expert AI. So, I would argue that if Paradox made it so that only so many pilots could be sent up for any nation, even if the player AND AI max out on plane production, they will still have only so many pilots/so much crew available to get the planes off the ground.

The question you bring up is not whether this would break the AI, well, playing the game vanilla is so easy you'd think the AI was already broken. Want to win the air war vs. AI? Spam fighters. Sea war? Spam naval bombers. You hardly need a navy or any other type of aircraft once you have air superiority, and once you have it, you'd be a fool to let the AI take it back. It's a steam roll. If you limit the number of air crew available - and maybe simply fighter/hvy fighter pilots - you bring back the use for more other types of planes and maybe break the naval bomber meta.

Historically planes were produced in even higher numbers then in the game, but trained pilots limited how many were used to much fewer then we see in the game. There is also no downside in using really obsolete planes in the game where they would never be used in history due to wasting a pilot.

• 4Like
Reactions:
Well, that was close to reality, countries tended to build 2-3 times fighters:bombers.
If AI will actually start building AA, you will not get away with building mostly fighters.
The AI doesn't make enough fighters, unless you play a version that forces the AI to play competitively, like Expert AI. So, I would argue that if Paradox made it so that only so many pilots could be sent up for any nation, even if the player AND AI max out on plane production, they will still have only so many pilots/so much crew available to get the planes off the ground.

The question you bring up is not whether this would break the AI, well, playing the game vanilla is so easy you'd think the AI was already broken. Want to win the air war vs. AI? Spam fighters. Sea war? Spam naval bombers. You hardly need a navy or any other type of aircraft once you have air superiority, and once you have it, you'd be a fool to let the AI take it back. It's a steam roll. If you limit the number of air crew available - and maybe simply fighter/hvy fighter pilots - you bring back the use for more other types of planes and maybe break the naval bomber meta.
If numbers of air crews are limited, there is even less incentive to build anything other than fighters. You also put already massively disadvantaged Axis, at every more of a disadvantage. Axis has less fuel, and less production, adding population in will make it even worse.
Historically planes were produced in even higher numbers then in the game, but trained pilots limited how many were used to much fewer then we see in the game. There is also no downside in using really obsolete planes in the game where they would never be used in history due to wasting a pilot.
It wasn't the fact that planes had a low lifetime, and needed extensive personal and maintenance, just pilots?

2 problems, the weak in reassigned pilots since one part of the problem. The lost of trained pilots was the worst but over any country air force.

The stack of planes is other problem that needs some kind of solution like a limit similar to the width in land combat. It's inane they have 3000 vs 3000 vs in a single region. Pay of the problem is the cause of the region's