• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Vishaing

MM Prime Minister in Exile
12 Badges
Jan 25, 2008
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • March of the Eagles
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
So in a bit of curiosity, I loaded up the 1820 start, just because I wanted to see if something I figured was true was actually true. Unfortunately, it was.
Man I hate always being right.

So yeah...Poor Britain. I didn't know conquering India permanently crippled their ability to advance in Naval Technology.

So one of the ways in which the game provides a cost to certain actions is via the Relationship Limits like this one, which prevent you from having too many alliances, vassals, etc. Fortunately, the Developers realized this could throw a wrench in a game as the Holy Roman Emperor with the penultimate reform. Passing this Reform gives you those vassals as free vassals, and a cursory glance over the code, I don't see anything in there specifying the Vassals you get as any different from any other vassal. This suggests the exception is hard-coded into the engine, unless I'm just missing something.

Unfortunately it seems the Devs forgot about Britain's conquest of India, leading to the above situation. Now obviously they could just program another hard-coded exception, however I think a better solution is to expand upon the basic idea of certain situations giving you Free Relations with other countries to deepen the strategy involved in diplomacy. And export it to a text (common\free_relations.txt) file so we can add our own.

For instance, for the India thing, the text file should look something like this;
Code:
indian_empire = {
	trigger = {
		ROOT = {
			capital_scope = { continent = europe }
			technology_group = western
			OR = {
				has_country_modifier = india_trade_co
				has_country_modifier = dutch_india_trade_co
				has_country_modifier = portuguese_india_trade_co
			}
		}
		FROM = {
			capital_scope = { continent = india }
			NOT = { num_of_cities = 6 }
		}
	}
	effect = {
		free_relation = vassal
		free_relation = guarantee
		free_relation = warning
		free_relation = military_access
		free_relation = fleet_basing
	}
}
Essentially, Root is the country that gets the free relation, From is the country they get that relation with. The effect block is optional, but if the effect block is there it means you can specify which relations you get upkeep free. If blank, you get all of thim.

The above, will mean that any Western European country with an India Trade Company will get the ability to vassalize any Indian country without upkeep, but only so long as that country remains under 6 provinces in size. This, combined with Coring Costs, should encourage Europeans to vassalize their way through India, breaking the existing states into smaller pieces to do so and no longer needing to annex them to move forther inward. If the Europeans try to engage in mutual diplomacy with a powerful state, such as getting an Alliance with a Large Mughal Empire, they will still have to pay the upkeep.

Another sample
Code:
french_estates = {
	trigger = {
		ROOT = {
			tag = FRA
			capital_scope = { region = french_region }
			culture_group = french
		}
		FROM = {
			capital_scope = { region = french_region }
			culture_group = french
			vassal_of = ROOT
		}
	}
}
This simple one represents the French Estates General, and gives France free relations with all of its French Vassals. This way France will actually be able to conduct diplomacy in the beginning without needing to annex some of their vassals first.

And the simplest;
Code:
dynastic_politics = {
	trigger = {
		FROM = {
			dynasty = ROOT
		}
	}
}
This one is the simplest, and gives you free relations with any country you share a dynasty with. Since by definition both countries in the pair would satisfy this, the effect is mutual, although from a coding standpoint it is applied independently to each.

There are plenty of other places this could be used. China for instance could be reduced to 0 max Relations so long as they have the 'Inward Perfect" modifier, but then could have a series of Tributary States, denoted by other country modifiers, that they could conduct Free Diplomacy with. Japan could have a similar situation but only receiving Free Relations with their Daimyo Vassals. The Informal Empire of the Ottomans in North Africa could use some of this as well.

And I could Really Use it when I get around to redesigning the MM House of the High Lords system for EUIV.

Just Sayin'

Thoughts?

LOL! IRL GB IS SUCH A NEWB, NOT KEEPING TRACK OF ITS REL8IONSHIPS! But yeah, it seemed kind of silly that HRE gets that exception but Japan didn't when I played over there, and this would be useful for various things, I like it.

I still haven't had a game last long enough (or started one late enough) to notice this issue but I completely agree with you. Out of interest, is 'ROOT' already in the modable files or would it be a new variable?

Also it would be good to have some of these game mechanics to keep AI/Player from annexing all their vassals.......especially since cores can be wiped. After 1650 it is very hard to breakup a blob.

Make it so annexing free vassals doesn't give cores? That'd remove the much of the incentive to annex them for me at least.

Muscowy has this same problem some time in the 1450's when they have added Ryazan, Tver and Novgorod as vassals as well as the original three.

This would be a nice mod trigger to have in the long run.

You could kind of fake it right now with a family of triggered modifiers that check when you meet the criteria and then checks how many vassals you have that meet the necessary criteria, and simply add diplo-relations. The annoying part is that you'd essentially need to copy the same triggered modifier multiple times to give +1, +2, +3, +4, etc, so it's less than ideal.

Interesting idea tho i think it would be kinda OP in players hands. Restricting it to AI only would be a way to go. Free guarantee and basing rights is a bit OP too, maybe make it just for vassals?

@Isaios: being 1 or 2 relations over the limit for a few years is not a big deal, also annex and sell Tver to Whathisnameslav, it's about the same AE wise and you don't waste the relation and diplomat time.