Suggestion: Country Localisation/Flag Change upon Government Type, ala Victoria II

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(424342)

Banned
10 Badges
Dec 17, 2011
steamcommunity.com
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Divine Wind
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Pillars of Eternity
What I really liked about Victoria II was how your country name and flag would change with your government type.
Including this in EU3 would introduce more customization through modding and add another layer of historical plausibility. For instance - Revolutionary Republic France would have the tricolor flag instead of requiring a second nation to be created for it, therefore wasting a TAG that could be used for a brand new nation.

A lot of people have been asking for this since the game was announced. Let's hope PI is willing to indulge us. :)

I agree. Even just the name and a few select flags (no need to do alternate flags for every Indian OPM) like Revolutionary France.

Yeah, it doesn't need to be used for every country. There are a lot of countries where this feature would be useful though. If the Timurids move to a non-tribal/nomadic government, they could name/flag change to the Mughals. If Manchu gains an imperial government type, they could become Qing. There's a lot of potential here.

As long as we're talking about alternative flags, having multiple union flags would also be cool. If Scotland created Great Britain, for example, I could see their flag being slightly different from the modern flag.

As long as we're talking about alternative flags, having multiple union flags would also be cool. If Scotland created Great Britain, for example, I could see their flag being slightly different from the modern flag.

The fun thing is that IRL it actually was Scotland who united the isles through a personal union with England, and since the crown of England was the more prestigious title it was that one which came one top on the flag.

If Scotland would've CONQUERED England however, and thus proven themselves superior to the Englishmen, now that's a completely different story! I'd love to see a Celtic Union!

But on the OP, I'm not sure I agree. If anything I'd like to see, like the above is an example of, more "secondary" states such as a Scottish Union, maybe a Finnish Scandinavia, how about an Andalucian or Catalan Spain, or even more importantly more Revolutionary states with non-Iberian names.

Also, this is just me nitpicking ('cause nitpicking is important! Important I tell you!), but I would love for the revolutionary states to share more with what they broke off from. Maybe I've just missed it, but if I have a USA that brakes off from a Scandinavian colonial empire, I'd want the president to carry a Scandinavian name, and thus the American culture tag to be placed in the Scandinavian culture group. This kind of adaptable system must be hard to do, sure, but it still would pacify my inner roleplayer.

They already do though. If you have the USA break free of Portugal they have Portuguese names.

I agree that different flags would be great, even if for only the first 3 tiers. It'd mean you wouldn't need tag changes to do it either.