• We will be taking the forums down for scheduled maintenance on 12 August 2020 at approximately 3PM CDT (8PM UTC / 10PM CEST), this downtime is currently estimated to last around 1 hour.
  • Pre order now!

Paradox Development Studio brings you the sequel to one of the most popular strategy games ever made! Crusader Kings III is soon upon us and you can pre order it today!

Releasing September 1st 2020

Alsaja23

Recruit
55 Badges
Apr 21, 2019
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44 -  Back to Hell
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife Pre-Order
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Cities: Skylines
  • War of the Roses
  • Victoria 2
  • Prison Architect
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • March of the Eagles
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Rome Gold
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
As a historian of the classical era I love the game but there are some things that I would like to change. I understand that it is a game and they try to discipline things but they are things that I think could improve the game.
The first thing is that I don't understand why Roman generals and politicians have a salary. in reality they did not receive money in exchange for their duties as it was quite the opposite they normally spent their money.
The second thing I do not understand why the population gets angry when you conquer a lot and you go from AE to others that when they get angry they pay less taxes ... that does not make sense it is as if nowadays you get angry with the government of your country and you decide not to pay taxes.
The third thing is regarding the army and maintenance in the Roman case (which is the one I know the most) I do not understand because having all of Italy (without the great Greece) you cannot get enough income to build a quality fleet and maintain it without going negative. In reality, during the first Punic war, Rome built several fleets of 200 ships, both hexerre and triremes, etc ... I also do not understand why it does not allow you to maintain an army many times with the Roman composition (2-6 legions) 36,000 men more or less and almost all heavy infantry to others I think it would be good to put a cam system because in those times they were not permanent armies and this would be a good thing to add. Also count that the numbers by units should change them, for example an elephants unit should not be 1k of elephants at most 50 or the cavalry that is 500 or the like.
To finish I would like them to re-implement asking for money in the peace treaty or at least asking for war reparations.
PS one thing that would be very good would be to put more time to at least military anarchy or to set a start date with the Persian wars

Hendreforgan

HENDREFORGAN
13 Badges
Dec 18, 2009
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Rome Gold
  • 500k Club
  • BATTLETECH
  • BATTLETECH - Digital Deluxe Edition
  • BATTLETECH: Flashpoint
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • BATTLETECH: Heavy Metal
  • March of the Eagles
  • Sengoku
  • BATTLETECH: Season pass
Though a strong supporter of Carthage and thus one who might see your point of view from the opposite side your comments are valid, I could add those where the game is "not true" to Carthaginian history. However I dare say so will other scholars for this period in our history and we need to look instead for the common denominator?

That "common denominator" is the game itself, or to refer to it more accurately, the "software".

If Paradox a company the size of Microsoft undoubtedly they could be persuaded to produce the game so vast in it's reaches that you could literally "dial in" whatever tweak you wanted, no matter which "State/Country/Tribal Area" you wished to play as . . . but how big would the software need to be, what minimum levels of hardware might you need, what sort of cost would the game need to be to pay for all that R&D?

Which is why the game has parts which we as enthusiastic historians know isn't quite right, almost but not perfect. First and foremost Paradox needed to construct a framework that can be adapted within reason and which is reliable when we, the end user, try to pull it to pieces. That I think is what they call their "Europa" and "Clausewitz" engines? Then they try, as best they can with the time and money they have to hand, to allow that "Engine" - try thinking of it as an "Operating System" instead - to be subtly altered so that these individual small elements of the "game" can be adjusted to do all that is possible to replicate the original in history . . .

. . . frankly I'm totally amazed they get as near to reality as they do!

So . . except the above and cut Paradox some slack?