• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hi chaps,

Thanks for all the comments. It's our Easter holidays here in the UK so I'll be absent for a few days, but fret not - I should have an update for you next week where you can find out what happens to Krikor II - the wuss.

Have a good Easter everyone (or if you're not a Christian - have a good weekend)!

Regards,

Iain

Vote in AARLand Choice Awards

To ease the voting simply copy this code:
Code:
Favorite Comedy AAR, CK: [[B][/B]url=http://www.europa-universalis.com/forum/showthread.php?t=429435]Suenik the Beleaguered - a None Too Serious AAR[/url] by Ian Wilson
Favorite Comedy AAR, Vicky: [[B][/B]url=http://www.europa-universalis.com/forum/showthread.php?t=461015]These Oranjes Are Not For Eating - Fun and Games in the Orange Free State[/url] by Ian Wilson
Favorite Gameplay AAR, CK: [[B][/B]URL="http://www.europa-universalis.com/forum/showthread.php?t=467253"]Kingdom of AARland[/URL] by Ian Wilson

Voted for the AARs!!!

Is Krikor dead, or am I misunderstanding something? Again?

Oh, and what about the two counts. Did their ghosts go to hell or something?

SUENIK THE BELEAGUERED
CHAPTER 70 - THE HEATHENS ARE SPLINTERED...
(1171-1172)

I hate warfare and all the needless suffering it inflicts (in addition, of course, to the fact that it also always brings with it a distinctly real chance that I'll end up in a shallow grave in some God-forsaken foreign hell hole) but I'm still Emperor, and that means I must defend my people from the foreign aggressor.

Reluctantly I send out my forces, all the while praying to God for peace.

3004.jpg

At home I'm faced with the problem that my youngest brother has taken father's death really badly and is playing up constantly.

3005.jpg

Yesterday he was caught writing on his chamber walls in what appeared to be his own faeces. It was all rather disturbing - at the highest point on the wall he had daubed "Ruben's List" and underneath he had put "Whoever took my daddy from me" and beneath that "Everyone else".

Your guess is as good as mine as to what that was all about!

Back at the front, it appears my show of force is bearing fruit. The Bey of Merv offers to make peace!

3006.jpg

Unfortunately I cannot afford to accept such humiliating terms - I'm still trying to win the trust of my vassals - so I decline.

Hopefully he will see sense before there is any bloodshed!

It is then that a bunch of heavily armed Turks show up in the capital.

3007.jpg

Not as invaders - thank God! - but offering to join my "crusade" against the heathen "Mervians".

Firstly, it's not a "crusade" - I'm not into the whole "killing people who believe differently from you" thing. That's all very Catholic.

Secondly, my father dedicated the latter years of his life to ensure that the Turks were spent as a military force - I'm not going to dishonour his memory by hiring the self same people he sought to disarm!

They are sent away with a firm "thanks but no thanks".

As I tentatively wait to see if the sands of Merv are going to be stained red with the blood of brave Suenikians my wife comes to me to discuss our daughter's upbringing.

3008.jpg

A lot of rulers are keen to foist their offspring on someone else, or else to spoil them by simply spending lavish sums of money on them, but not me. I take a good look at my child and realise that even at this tender age she is cautious and thinks things through before acting.

She will make a fine steward one day, so I send her to the monks for education.

May they teach her wisdom, patience and tolerance.

I am also made aware of a scandal brewing in my court. Mleh - a cousin of mine - and a potentially gifted diplomat, has been seen cavorting with a fifteen year old girl. I explain to him that this displeases me, and immediately I arrange a marriage for him to Antusa - a silver tongued and wily woman three years his elder.

3009.jpg

She should tame his lust for young girls!

This clearly works, because soon after he comes to me, thanks me for my wisdom, and declares the dalliance with Arina finished forever!

3012.jpg

She doesn't take it too well, but such behaviour is to be expected of a girl her age.

3013.jpg

Time will cure her broken heart I'm sure.

As I am congratulating myself on unravelling such a potentially thorny issue, I receive the news I have been waiting for - namely that the Arabs powers arrayed against me have fallen out, and that they wish to make peace!

3010.jpg

Naturally I accept, and my brave soldiers return home without having to have risked their lives!

There's less cheering than I would have expected, but I feel good none the less.

It is then that I am visited by the Abbot of the monastery where my daughter is being taught. He is visibly nervous, and explains to me that my daughter is not developing as quickly as they had hoped.

3014.jpg

I thank him for his news, but explain that he should not intervene - she will find her own way in time. Children can often surprise you how quickly they pick things up...

3016.jpg

...like how quickly young Mira here learned to pick up knives...

One of her tutors was heard remarking "It's just like the old Mira has been reincarnated!"

Ha! Not bloody likely! She's still downstairs - enjoying a nice sulphur bath! Aren't you darling sister?

Arina, the ex-object of cousin Mleh's affection, has now turned sixteen and can marry. So as to remove any future temptation and finally pour water on any simmering fires of resentment, I pack her off to Cyprus to marry the Byzantine Emperor.

3015.jpg

I don't think that this is a bad pay off for keeping quiet about the cousin of the Emperor's indiscretions, do you?

Plus, it's about time we built bridges with the Romans. As Orthodox neighbours we should be united in a common purpose - not needlessly fighting!

I also begin to court the Prince of Thessalonica, who has recently ceded from Byzantium.

3017.jpg

3018.jpg

My ancestors may have thought that advancement through bloodshed was the way forward - I intend to prove that it is just as possible to build a powerful Empire on the principles of peace, friendship and co-operation!

Is Krikor right? Is he wrong? Is he even thinking like a Suenikian ruler? Stay tuned for the next exciting episode of Suenik - Land of the Beleaguered!

Btw, I've decided to go with praxiteles suggestion and name Aboulgharib "the miserable" as that's what his name means (and he never was that happy - even when he was throwing people down wells).

On a different note, please take the time to go and vote on the AARLand Choice Awards - not necessarily for this AAR but for whatever takes your fancy! Show CK a bit of love - we've got some great writers in this forum and they deserve a bit of recognition!

I'd also urge everyone to take the time to stroll through all the forums and maybe get aquainted with - and vote for - AARs that you wouldn't normally look at. I surprised myself today by finding an excellent Rome AAR that I'd never seen before. This could be your chance to find some brilliant lunch time reading!

Oh, and while you're at it, let's all take the time to thank Swert for running the ACAs. The poor guy does this every quarter on his own!

I( want Aboulgharib to come back as a zombie and throttle the living crap out of his lame son!

All hail Aboulgharib, Lord of Realms Alive and Dead! Greatest Emperor of Greatest Suenik!

A Suenikian ruler who is actually sane!?:eek:
That Ruben.... let's just say he's like Aboulgharib taken up to 11.

Krikor is a sissy. Death to him!

Put him on Ruben's list... yeeesss...

Btw, I've decided to go with praxiteles suggestion and name Aboulgharib "the miserable" as that's what his name means (and he never was that happy - even when he was throwing people down wells).

Thanks for evaluating my suggestion :).

And for Krikor-hater Ruben fanbois: You'll see!

Long live the new emperor.

I like Krikor, primarily because he'll sooner or later snap and stop being a nice guy after someone pushes him just a little too far.

Krik... Krak... what's that? Oh, a stab in the back... ;)

My prognosis for the 'Peacehippy'...:D

Is Krikor dead, or am I misunderstanding something? Again?

Krikor I is dead. Kirkor II is very much alive.

Oh, and what about the two counts. Did their ghosts go to hell or something?

Nah - they're just not as bolshy as their descendants. Maybe they went to HEAVEN!

Imagine that.

You're a very kind man - I'm going to make you my offical Fanboy :)

Now... Why do I have a feeling that Krikor II is not as popular as Aboulgharib?

I( want Aboulgharib to come back as a zombie and throttle the living crap out of his lame son!

All hail Aboulgharib, Lord of Realms Alive and Dead! Greatest Emperor of Greatest Suenik!
Death to Krikor and his hippie ways!!!
Krikor is a sissy. Death to him!

Put him on Ruben's list... yeeesss...
Krik... Krak... what's that? Oh, a stab in the back... ;)

My prognosis for the 'Peacehippy'...:D

Ah - that'll be why. Honestly, you lot are so change adverse...

A Suenikian ruler who is actually sane!?:eek:
That Ruben.... let's just say he's like Aboulgharib taken up to 11.

Yeah - my money's on him becoming some kind of poo-themed serial killer.

Thanks for evaluating my suggestion :).

And for Krikor-hater Ruben fanbois: You'll see!

Long live the new emperor.

Ah! Someone who likes Krikor II. Let's see how he gets on, shall we?

I like Krikor, primarily because he'll sooner or later snap and stop being a nice guy after someone pushes him just a little too far.

Wow - he's got two fans...although if I'm right you like him because you think that soon he's going to become a bloodthirsty maniac like his dad?

Thanks for the feedback guys - I'll hopefully have another update for you soon!

The "Your lover has left you - no effect" never ceases to amuse me :D

Peace-loving rulers seem to be in in CK comedy AARs right now ;)

Nice change of pace with the new ruler. However I do rather hope people begin to fall down wells soon...'accidentally' of course.

Very good update!

So, which tile factory burned down since you had to build a new one?:p

And, who is gonna inherit Krikor? Ruben? Someone else? The Byzantine emperor? Someone else?

SUENIK THE BELEAGUERED
CHAPTER 71 - A HOLIDAY IN ZADAR
(1172-1174)

The first thing I do is take a look at the various territories I have inherited and realise that I'm sitting on a veritable mine of Princedoms.

3020.jpg

After I have these legally ratified, I hand them out to worthy souls whom I trust to wisely administer their new lands. Everyone seems a lot more loyal these days (especially now that a lot of them are now sitting oohing and aahing over a new, shiny Princely coat of arms) so I feel that the realm has moved to a better place.

I've still not fully taken stock of the every administrative arm of the Empire, so I take some time out to visit the nurseries and schools of the realm. I am pleasantly surprised when the teachers there introduce me to some of their pupils.

3021.jpg

With such well-mannered and intelligent young souls being produced by the Suenikian education system I can't help but smile happily and be positive at the thought of the bright future that the Empire has ahead of it.

Still... The curious thing is, I could SWEAR that when I was in the nursery that the teachers were standing with their backs pressed against a door (and that it had a REALLY big lock on it), from behind which there was the sound of screaming and banging...
Strange.

Remember when I said earlier that the loyalty situation was getting better? Well, it’s BETTER but not perfect, so I decide to take the bull by the horns and finally sort the thing out once and for all. How do I do this? Simple - I have my spy master set about creating a fake conspiracy that appears to be against those nobles I deem to be disloyal. Fearing for their holdings from this phantom cult, they come to me for protection and, like a just and protective overlord, I put paid to the scheme against them and they praise my name to high Heaven. Easy peasy.

3022.jpg

Ah! So that's what Mira meant by a "complot". I never knew that. I thought it was something to do with the fields and poo. Although I never could work out why disloyal vassals would be lured by fake poo. Still, being around this kid is an education!

I'm understandably pleased with myself, and I regale my wife with tales of my cunning.

3023.jpg

Clearly Eirene is a "brains over brawn" kind of gal.

My good mood is short lived however, when the spectre of war threatens the realm.

3024.jpg

Zadar (for the curious) is a tiny county somewhere in the Balkans. I agree to support my vassals and kind of hope that they will sort the whole mess out...

3025.jpg

...which they do.

The Prince of Dalmatia's authority restored, Zadar slips back into line and everyone is happy again.

Especially me, as I didn't have to get involved in a battle.

The thought of that...

Brrrrr...

Not really worth thinking about is it? All that death, killing and running.

Urgh.

While I am contemplating the perils of war I receive a report from a regional governor of a province that I didn't know I had.

3026.jpg

With this in mind, and with the revelation that yesterday may pet Gurgan was found lying dead in the courtyard with the words "Creaking yet Krikor?" daubed in its blood on a nearby wall (I think the perpetrator actually used the Gurgan's carcass to write the message...) I hatch a plan.

3027.jpg

Of you go, you little psychopath - go and play with the thieves, smugglers, highway robbers and Muslims.

A few months later myself and Eirene get some good news, and the whole realm rejoices at the birth of another heir.

3028.jpg

Like the name? I did. Gagik - it sounds monstrous! Gagik the destroyer! Shame he’s about a billionth in line to the throne.

Some people have a strange way of celebrating a royal birth though. Guess how the count of Zadar showed his appreciation?

3029.jpg

So it looks like I'm off to the Balkans to wet the baby's head.

Damn.

The count of Zadar senses my annoyance and has a better idea.

3030.jpg

I'm VERY happy with this (so is Eriene - it means she doesn't have to cope with the sleepless nights alone!) and so I ponder the best way to ensure that we don't have another explosion of chaos in Zadar. How can I ensure no more Zadar-Dalmatia conflicts?

3031.jpg

There - that should stop the count of Zadar attacking the Prince of Dalmatia.

Actually, given Suenik and its fondness for schizophrenic psychopaths this isn't necessarily true.

I'm slightly displeased when the clergy decide to milk it and declare the war in Zadar (which never started) a national tragedy, and then start bleating on about burnt churches and homeless children.

3032.jpg

I tell them to poke it. I am a pious man but I will not be taken for a fool.

However, it's not all bad. I find something pretty interesting in the family vaults which I have my scribes share with the whole realm.

3033.jpg

The people love it (those that can understand it anyway) and I'm hailed as a patron of the arts.

Naturally, it is around this time, having given me something good, that Fate decides to slap me in the face three times just to remind me that I'm Emperor of Suenik and not somewhere sane and well ordered.

3034.jpg

Er...I'm sure she'll recover...

3035.jpg

Well, this IS semi normal behaviour for Gardman-Aghbania females - as long as we keep her away from sharp objects I am sure everyone will be fine.

3036.jpg

Ah. Not so easy to laugh about this one is it? I guess it's time to move north for the duration. And just in case anyone decides to invade or something equally unpleasant I'd like to know that I'm going to be safe in the capital when I'm staying there.

3037.jpg

Let's hope my new castle never has to be tested though - war is a horrible beast and it's something I hope to keep as far away from the Empire as possible.

Or at least the parts that I'm in.

I'm quite precious about that.

Will Krikor have peace? Will his castle ever need to be used? Is this the end for random violence and bloodshed? Stay tuned for the next exciting episode of Suenik - Land of the Beleaguered!