• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
UK can keep her nose out of France and indeed will make things easier for both the French and the British this way. Italy is bottled up in the med and Japan can't hit anything the UK can't live without, even if they leapfrog towards Egypt.

All this is ignoring very likely if not outright inevitable UK air supremacy. Just running CAG attacks on adjactend sea zones or ports will be a victory in itself since the idea behind the attack on Copenhagen was ensuring naval supremacy for the Red Fleet in the Baltic.

Maybe if you start a game in 1936, but if they use the 1938 setup (what they do), CAG's simply aren't good enough to win from the German INT's. They get slaughtered.
Not to mention outnumbered. Stay too long and risk a Naval bomber run by Germany without fighter support. Using CAG's in hostile territory to bomb a harbor while Naval bombers are in range from other airfields isn't the smartest thing to do.

Futher more for Russian naval supremacy of the Red Fleet in the Baltic you need CAG's launching from inside the Baltic. Moving as close as possible to Copenhagen wouldn't bring Koningsberg and Danzig in range. Enough space for the Kriegsmarine to still claim the Baltic.

You're confusing several steps of the same plan into one single action. You also completely forget that there's bigger fronts in France and Russia to think about at the same time, thus it is doubtful that the Axis can achieve air superiority in any place without neglecting other areas. The few Axis NAV wings will not be able to sink UK ships and the Brits have so many of them that they can quickly swap out damaged units.

Red Fleet units can operate here at their own leisure. The threat of their fleet in being is enough to make sure that the Axis player will have to have an eye on the Baltic coast, whether or not any landing operation is conducted or not. A Soviet operation north of Berlin would also mean that the
- a) Berlin is under immediate threat
- b) the Axis forces east of this beachhead are in danger of being cut off
- c) another front needing units to seal them off or face annihilation from the rear area.

Honestly, Germany SHOULD lose in this situation. There's a reason for the Molotov-Ribbentropp pact.

Wow... maybe Stalin should have pushed Stavka into pushing as deep into Poland as he could go! So, is an Allied player assisting with the Soviet air campaign?

Yes. Zid is handling SOV air force, Red Navy and troops preparing to assault the Baltic States. And the Far East as well. I mainly concentrate at the attack on Germany (but actually duelling with ITA and JAP leaders). So, somewhat chaotic.

You're acting very passively on the front, from what I can see. When you only met 2 divisons, you should've rushed right past (leaving several divisions for the encirclement behind, of course) and kept advancing as far as you could in the north. You, for some reason, seemed to simply stop the advance, not even trying to break through their lines from the get-go. It's almost as if you're too careful. Why? The Axis aren't exactly in a position to attack you.

Keep in mind - in the first pic when you only see two German units - thats only cause the rest is in fog of war. Thats why I wanted to assemble my rag tag horde and properly scout the line - which as you can see was manned along the entire line. Also keep in mind that the Red Army has 1918 inf tec against Germany's at least 1938 (if not 40), and shitty org regain rate with officer rate on some 70. You don't fool around with that or you get royaly whacked. As you can see, I was whacked even though I took care to mass an attack at 5 to 1 or similar.

Still not convinced that such an early war is so good for Germany as some people here make up to be. Regarding laws and production for example, both the soviets and allies will have MUCH better laws than usual in 1938 already (so the big advantage that Germany has which is better production until 1939 is completely erased), and SU also loses disorganized officer corps early thus giving it a nice boost to leadership.

Nobody is really ready for this!
the Germans lack the mass and the soviets lack the quality to win.
Germany will most likely hold the short end of the stick due to bad resource situation in the near future.

Yes, we also thought it was some kind of a misstake on the Axis part, but we wheren't sure. Neither of us had any experience in such an early war and discussed it wildly. We did, however, look at the start up number of brigades in the -38 scenario and realized Axis was quite undermanned. So Allies stripped Asia and even SOV stripped Far East pretty bare as it was obvious things would be desided in the west - and probably very soon too. BUT - we knew this was all more or less known to Axis, which made us nervous. It was quite obvious they had a few surpice cards up their sleaves....

New chapter later today

Chapter III - The Attack on the Baltic States

Players: UK, FRA, SOVx2, GER, JAP, ITA
(Zid and CptEasy on SOV)

Recap: The hordes of the Red Army attacked the Germans and Italians in Jaroslaw and Zamosc with old school charge tactics and won due to being in vast superior numbers. Now, the Axis counter strikes and the Red Army is tumbling backwards. They still have the numbers however, and prepares attacks in the northern sector of the front-line as well as attacking the Baltic States. But the most determaning factors of them all. Will France hold? Also - what surprise have the Axis cooked and how will they serve it?

10-7.jpg

March 11th, 1939

Attack is the best defense. Instead of giving ground in the south, the Red Army attacked in the north. The Wehrmacht stumbled backwards and a German infantry division was outmaneuvered and crushed. This was a loss the thin German East Front could not really afford.

11-7.jpg

March 17th, 1939

While moving through the German heartlands around Köningsberg the attack against the Baltic States (Zid) was initiated. The original plan was that this attack would open up a new northern front against the Germans, but that line was already broken. The German leadership had clearly underestimated the furious roar of the Russian Bear.

Stalin was not worried about the bravery of his men… but the bravery of the French. If the French fell… things would change very fast.

12-6.jpg

March 18th, 1939

The Wehrmacht seemed to have gotten completely stuck here. They had saved the men captured in Amsterdam, but they had not managed to move the frontline in any other significant way in the last month. Stalin could scarcely believe it. If the Axis had a hidden card to play, they would better play it soon.

Stalin started to worry even more about the Japanese. They did still not do any significant movement in the Far East. Yet, the Soviet declaration of war could hardly have come as a surprise for them. What were they waiting for? Stalin moved some newly trained militias down to the Black Sea area to back up the few regulars stationed there. Would the Japs dare to attack there?

13-3.jpg

March 18th, 1939

Italian troops have shown up around Königsberg (1). The prestigious capturing of that city would not come as easy as initially hoped. At the same time, the Axis continues to keep the pressure up in the south (2). The Soviet line along the river in the south is getting even more stretched and dangerous. Stalin is still hesitant to retreat. The line will hold…

14-2.jpg

March 27th, 1939

Latvia and Lithuania is conquered (1) and the majority of that force is now moving down towards Köningsberg (2) where the offensive has stalled since the arrival of the Italian troops. The incoming Soviet reinforcement from the Baltic Campaign is about 15-20 divisions. It should add the needed punch to secure the city of Köningsberg. Stalin just don’t want to let it go.

In the meantime, the Axis push in the south has slowly formed a loose sack. It is clear they want to create a pocket. Stalin must now leave the river or risk losing troops.

In the middle of the long front line, the Red Army has launched an attack against the infamous fortress of Brest.

15-1.jpg

March 31st, 1939

The Lwow Sack is slowly evolving, but the Red Army’s retreat is progressing according to plan. Stalin is not worried – although some of his troops are quite tired and wore down.

16-1.jpg

March 31st, 1939

It might be the Northern Offensive might be able to take Königsberg even before the Baltic Army arrives. Still, plenty of Italians have showed up and hamper the pace of the advance.

18-1.jpg

March 31st, 1939

The Japanese offensive was weak and slow. The Red Army had retreated to better defensive areas where the rather weak defensive force could hope to give the Jap a fight. It seemed however, that the Jap used so few men that it would not become a serious threat. Where were their men? It was a question he asked himself all the time. It was what he believed could threat his victory; Japs showing up at the wrong place. He did try to fore say these places and at least put some militias there.

17-1.jpg

March 31st, 1939

Germany has failed utterly to break the back of France. They are still stuck in Belgium. At the same time, the Red Tide had swept in over the Baltic States and Former Poland. Germany seems painfully squeezed. To Stalin, it seems only a Japanese intervention can change the outcome of this war.

Authors note: For Japan to attack the Allies they must then break all trade with USA according to our House Rules. Also, this opens up for the Allied team to put a player on USA. It was doubtful if they wanted to do that. On the other hand, I think it is doubtful this game will be long enough for that to matter. But they can always attack Soviet from the European side.

…………………………………..

As it turned out, the Axis team had made a bad calculation of the balance of strength and their plan had crumbled. There was no trap waiting to smack. There were no Japanese navy with full transports sailing for Europe. They had simply been running to the end of the line.

Axis surrendered.

One thing that had been troubling the Axis master plan was the fact that Italy cannot DoW Allies without pulling Japan into the war – and they did not want that (and House Rules prevent us from inviting majors (as this previously could be used to avoid threat)). We have seen this in previous games, like Carnage al Dente, but Axis had not realized this event. We came to argue about the wisdom of this event or if it was really a bug. From a historical standpoint it is quite odd, to say the least.
When Germany attacked Belgium through Holland, the Italians had been waiting behind the line to add their strength. Now, they had to be railed eastwards instead. It was far from optimal – and perhaps a bad secondary effect of our House Rules which we need to seriously look at.

Personally, I am quite disappointed that my Soviet adventure became this short. I guess I’ll have to play them soon again. On the other hand, it is always interesting when some games turn out completely different than expected.

…………………………………………………………….
As the veteran readers already can guess, we have started a new game already. Due to summer holidays, we haven’t been able to keep the pace up and next AAR will not start right away, but probably in a month or so.

One of the things Hitler dreaded was a Soviet attack while he was busy in France... which is exactly what CptEasy unleashed.

Basically Hitler's worst nightmare came true.

Pfft. I just read through sudden carnage, which featured a similar scenario (rejection of Moltov-Ribbentrop, early 2-front war for Germany), and it's interesting to see how different those scenarios turned out!

I'm not sure how strongly the versions differ (Sudden Carnage was SF 2.04, I think), but one major difference that occurs to me is that, in SC, Germany has Italy in the Eastern front to support it, as well as far more troops. They also had a bit more time to prepare, and to make use of that IC and manpower.

Another difference is that, presumably, France reinforced Belgium during this iteration of the game. In SC, you specifically noted their absence.

Strange what kind of difference the small factors can make.

Lol nom nom nom Bear wants sauerkraut

Yeah next time, change in the house rules. Two front war for Germany in 1940 = big no no. But where were the jap troops then? All in Manchuria? About UK going for Denmark, it´s simple - if the UK wants naval superiority in an area they will get it. Period. Those sea zones have awful weather thus making any carrier force backed by upgraded light cruisers take quite small damage from NAVs.

Last edited:
What were the axis thinking? Leaving so thin the eastern border like this is very risky. I play with my friend against the AI (I know it isn't a true challange) as Italy and Germany and we did almost the same thing. Conquered Poland, made no MRP and when we were attacking France earlier suddenly the USSR DOWed us.. I don't know if it's coded in but the AI was good enough to spot our weakness. Otherwise it was risky for the USSR too to attack the Germans, what if there were a proper army stationing just 2-3 provinces away from the border? :)

Good game, you had though.

I got a question too: how does the expeditionary force thing work? For example the German units which were handled by Japan have the same technology and doctrine levels as the regular German units? And who provides supply to these expeditionary forces? The owner or the handler?

Argh, no Gottendamrung and Allies vs. Comintern war? :p

Please. Please! The race to puppet Germany would be excellent. What happens to a puppeted player? Does the game end?

And didn't I read that you were planning on buffing the SU forces? New HR, SU can't DOW Germany till 9 months after the start of war if there is no MR pact. It seems HR's in the last two AAR's were stacked against Axis forces.

And didn't I read that you were planning on buffing the SU forces? New HR, SU can't DOW Germany till 9 months after the start of war if there is no MR pact. It seems HR's in the last two AAR's were stacked against Axis forces.

I call bullshit on this suggestion. Axis should be punished severely for missing opportunity of having peaceful USSR. Just sign a paper, and give few useless provinces to Soviets. If you don't, suffer heavily. In this case it is Axis folly, and nobody else's fault.

hopefully next game will be more eventful -_-

and as to the suggestion of the guy above me what is even the point of signing mol-rib if the germans essentialy get a NAP with them for 9 months in either case?

Edit: Traks ninja

I call bullshit on this suggestion. Axis should be punished severely for missing opportunity of having peaceful USSR. Just sign a paper, and give few useless provinces to Soviets. If you don't, suffer heavily. In this case it is Axis folly, and nobody else's fault.

Yeah if they don´t want to sign the pact, it´s their folly.