• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I really don't care who we play as.

But we need to have a list of players and their email addresses so we can get a roster going and so we can pass the games on when the character dies.

I'm assuming that we're sending the games via email?

How about an AAR? I've never done an AAR before but to do one for a character only should be doable for me.

Would we be playing as a count? I've always liked where the Count of Leon is situated, in the top left french area in the Dukedom of Brittany... between the rest of France and England. Either that or something like Kent, or a count in Aragon since it's close to a lot of action if you want it.

I'll officially join in then. I vote for the count of Vermandois as well.

We'll do the AAR thing, i will start anofficial thread in the AAR forum once the voting is over in 7 hours from now (17.00 euro time) if thats okay with you guys?

The players who have joined in is:

pilsen - Count of Vermandois
Cromelex - no vote
GJScarritt - Count of Vermandois
Sam L - no vote (still open)
LordofSaxony - Count of Leon(?)
LouisXI - Count of Vermandois
Draztikus - Count of Lübeck
deadmeat1471 - no vote
pdubz - no vote

the count of vermandois it is then:)

Here's the playing order, i used random.org:

1.Draztikus
2.LouisXI
3.GJScarritt
4.deadmeat1471
5.pilsen
6.Cromelex
7.pdubz
8.Sam L
9.LordofSaxony

Draztikus, you may start off the heirs of Charlemagne:)

Last edited:
cool GJ. Just vote away folks, new people joining can vote too:)

BTW I was thinking we could just upload the save to rapidshare or something and post the link in the AAR at the end of the update. And i was thinking of making the playlist random, maybe using random.org. what do you think?

Last edited:
There was a good AAR about popes by several players, it might be good if through some necromancy it could be revived but a new story would also be interesting :). Roleplaying can be fun even in defeat, with so many different CK characters with their own traits and different writing styles this looks very promising and I look forward to this AAR.

There was a good AAR about popes by several players, it might be good if through some necromancy it could be revived but a new story would also be interesting :). Roleplaying can be fun even in defeat, with so many different CK characters with their own traits and different writing styles this looks very promising and I look forward to this AAR.

Don't care to join?

So this is a bit of the background on the one that it looks like we'll be playing?

In 1077, the last count of the first house of Vermandois, Herbert IV, received the county of Valois through his wife. His son Eudes (II) the Insane was disinheredited by the council of the Barons of France. He was lord of Saint-Simon through his wife, and the county was given to his sister Adela, whose first husband was Hugh the Great, the brother of King Philip I of France. Hugh was one of the leaders of the First Crusade, and died in 1102 at Tarsus in Cilicia. The eldest son of Hugh and Adela was count Raoul I (c. 1120-1152), who married Petronilla of Aquitaine, sister of the queen, Eleanor, and had by her three children: Raoul (Rudolph) II, the Leper (count from 1152-1167); Isabelle, who possessed from 1167 to 1183 the counties of Vermandois, Valois and Amiens conjointly with her husband, Philip, Count of Flanders; and Eleanor. By the terms of a treaty concluded in 1186 with the king, Philip Augustus, the count of Flanders kept the county of Vermandois until his death, in 1191. At this date, a new arrangement gave Eleanor (d. 1213) a life interest in the eastern part of Vermandois, together with the title of countess of St Quentin, and the king entered immediately into possession of Peronne and its dependencies.

Sounds fine to me, situated right next to the French King and also right next to Germany. :D

Was curious how that County would play, so i gave it a test run. Turns out that the King of France gave me the Duke of Valois title (I'm guessing this county gets that title almost every time?) on Apr. 13, 1067. Even tho my father-in-law owned 2 counties (only Amiens in that Ducal area) with Amiens having a higher base income, my total Stewardship won out? Good thing i married in a 15 Steward for one of my brothers.

My silly father-in-law refused to give up Amiens, so now I have to wait for the old man to die, so my son can get it. Oh, and my wife turned up pregnant in Feb of that year. Thank goodness for a fertile 27 year old. lol

Edit: He finally gave up both titles by the start of 1068 (he had married and new young wife was pregnant - and BTW, why doesn't my wife have a mother?). The former Count of Amiens/Vexin had no sooner settled in the Court of Boulogne (I was really hoping he'd move to my court, his eldest daughter IS my wife after all) when I got a Tourney event and layed claim to Boulogne. Sheesh, this game surprises ya sometimes. lol

So i gave Vermandois to my son and kept the richer provinces of Amiens and Vexin (he had already started building something in Vexin, so why not - saved me some money). :)

Last edited:
Was curious how that County would play, so i gave it a test run. Turns out that the King of France gave me the Duke of Valois title (I'm guessing this county gets that title almost every time?) on Apr. 13, 1067.

I was originally going to ask other opinions of how easy it was to become the Duke of Valois within the first couple months, but instead I just tried it on (3) different occassions within 5 minutes (not kidding).

First Attempt: The first, I married and played the game like usual, I became Duke of Valois in 1067. Reloaded from scratch for another attempt.

Second Attempt: I did nothing, didn't marry, didn't take fosterlings, I became Duke of Valois in 1067. Reloaded again for final attempt.

Third Attempt: Repeat of second attempt, did nothing, just sat there. Became Duke of Valois in 1067.

The only way I can see for not becoming a Duke is probably really ticking off the King within the first month or two of gameplay, or quickly switching allegiances to another country, or something drastic.

If it's that easy to become Duke (doing even nothing gets you it) then it lessens my desire to play. I like getting County titles, Duke titles, and even King titles by my own hand from strategic marriages and conquering if needed. Playing as Count of Vermandois is basically just like starting as a Duke in the game. Or perhaps I'm just that incredibly lucky and got it 3 times in a row.

I'll re-look at the map and let you guys know what my final vote is. :D

I did some searching around for other prime candidates for us to play. Basically I was looking for anyone who is young and/or not married and/or and without children.

(French) Baudouin de Guines - North France, 27 years old, no kids, no wife. First person gets a long run, picks his wife, and hopefully has offspring to start our dynasty. Has the title of Count of Guines, on the north tip of France between rest of France and England, and a little to the east is the Kingdom of Germany.

(French) Raymond-Bernard Trencavel - South East France, 30, married to a 15/16 (says 15, but the game is set to pause before it begins, probably flips to 16 at the start), has no children, has both titles of Count of Carcassonne and Montpellier. Starts with the advantage of having 2 counties, on the edge of south France, in which Montpellier is a coastal town. Good position for people wishing to expand due to south spain being a short boat ride away. Also right next to the Kingdom of Germany, and a little to the west, the Kingdom of Aragon.

(French) Foulques d'Anjou - Northern area of France, holds the title Count of Tourraine, brother to Duke of Anjou. Inherits dukedom, unless the Duke can bare a male son. Foulques is married, but has no children yet. He's 25 years old, lots of time for the first person to reign.

(English) Odo De Conteville - South right area of England, 36 years old, doesn't have a wife, doesn't have children. He has the title of Count of Kent. The first person gets to pick a wife and start our dynasty.

(Brittany/French) Geoffry de Rennes - North left tip of France, currently a part of the Dukedom of Brittany (which I've seen usually cede to France really early on). 41 years old, no wife, no kids. Holds title of Count of Rennes.

I did some searching around for other prime candidates for us to play. Basically I was looking for anyone who is young and/or not married and/or and without children.

(English) Odo De Conteville - South right area of England, 36 years old, doesn't have a wife, doesn't have children. He has the title of Count of Kent. The first person gets to pick a wife and start our dynasty.

Oooh, i just checked him out. It'd be alot of work just to get the Duke title. All 3 Counts are vassals of the KOE, so he'd have to wait until Surrey or Sussex broke free, just to DOW them. And no way to inherit the other two at the start. We'd definitely be laying low the first generation or two, unless we got some lucky breaks.

Oooh, i just checked him out. It'd be alot of work just to get the Duke title. All 3 Counts are vassals of the KOE, so he'd have to wait until Surrey or Sussex broke free, just to DOW them. And no way to inherit the other two at the start. We'd definitely be laying low the first generation or two, unless we got some lucky breaks.

I've played Kent a long while back. Sometimes you see the Kent's neighboring vassals declare their independence but it's a rarity really. Playing as Kent would be really tricky. On another token, the only people to attack who are not of the religion would be in the east area, it's not too long of a boat ride though (within reasonable distance).

I've played Kent a long while back. Sometimes you see the Kent's neighboring vassals declare their independence but it's a rarity really. Playing as Kent would be really tricky. On another token, the only people to attack who are not of the religion would be in the east area, it's not too long of a boat ride though (within reasonable distance).

I play as his brother Robert alot. He only has two daughters and has difficulty having a male due to the age of his wife and I guess their low fertility, but normally I'll get a male eventually. You almost never earn enough to even attack your neighbors even after they declare independence. On the plus side, I think you only need one province to declare yourself Duke of Cornwall :). Never played as Odo though, he's just so ugly :p.