• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I would love to do something like this.

CK+DV with the latest beta patch, I assume?
I think that's probably the way to go.

Plus, we're going to need A LOT of players I think to go from 1066-1453? Don't you all think?

I ran something like this a while back with MTW2, worked pretty well and fun too. Although, it was believed that some people went against the rules, such as if something bad happens such as your monarch dying or your lost a war, you can't just "reload" the game and continue playing, if your monarch dies for whatever reason, then it's the next person's turn. Also, we made it a rule since several people were playing that you have to wait at least (2) generations before you can play again, so basically it would be like.. YOU play, john plays, bill plays, YOU play, etc etc.

Basically we had to rely on trust that people just didn't reload a saved game 1,001 times just to make their reign really long.

Basically.. off the top of my head.. the rules were..

1. You agree to not load a saved game just to change the direction of battle or to prevent the death of your character, and etc. From the initial loading of the game from a previous player, you shall not reload it again from that save point or another save point of your creation unless

A) You have to stop the game to take care of something in RL.
B) You crash to desktop, lightning storm, etc.

2. You cannot play again unless (2) generations have passed. Such as, You play, Bob plays, Julie plays, You play, etc.

3. If you see a generation has been completed, you need to post in the forum that your currently playing and give a time frame of when you believe you'll be done (ie few hours, 1-2 days, etc).

Allowing to play again after (2) generations would appear to be a large enough gap between your playing times, so that by that period a lot of things would change for better or worse. This would also help with finding enough people, since in reality you would only need a minimum of 3 people. The big reason why rule #1 was there, was so that people understand that running a kingdom isn't always peachy and good, sometimes you lose and bad things happen, and that is part of the roleplaying experience.

Also while we played (we played like 2-3 games at the same time as different nations, done with one hop on the other one) we created short summaries of our characters life, for example..

----------------------------------------

Count Ryan Lancaster (1194-1267) assumed the throne upon his father's death and continued the family struggle to gain the Dukedom back that was recently lost. He participated in the Battle of Red River in 1245 with his host of 500 men in hopes that the King of England would recognize his legal claim to the Lancaster Dukedom. Later, he married the noblewoman, Elizabeth Blount, who some say was quite a beauty, from that they had two sons and a daughter. A year before his death, in 1266, the he managed to get enough support to reclaim his former families Lancaster lands when he was made Duke by Henry XII, King of England.

The summaries usually helped people understand what was happening during the previous player character's life, and with that was the link to the save file.

Anyhow, basically ranting lol :)

I ran something like this a while back with MTW2, worked pretty well and fun too. Although, it was believed that some people went against the rules, such as if something bad happens such as your monarch dying or your lost a war, you can't just "reload" the game and continue playing, if your monarch dies for whatever reason, then it's the next person's turn. Also, we made it a rule since several people were playing that you have to wait at least (2) generations before you can play again, so basically it would be like.. YOU play, john plays, bill plays, YOU play, etc etc.

Basically we had to rely on trust that people just didn't reload a saved game 1,001 times just to make their reign really long.

Basically.. off the top of my head.. the rules were..

1. You agree to not load a saved game just to change the direction of battle or to prevent the death of your character, and etc. From the initial loading of the game from a previous player, you shall not reload it again from that save point or another save point of your creation unless

A) You have to stop the game to take care of something in RL.
B) You crash to desktop, lightning storm, etc.

2. You cannot play again unless (2) generations have passed. Such as, You play, Bob plays, Julie plays, You play, etc.

3. If you see a generation has been completed, you need to post in the forum that your currently playing and give a time frame of when you believe you'll be done (ie few hours, 1-2 days, etc).

Allowing to play again after (2) generations would appear to be a large enough gap between your playing times, so that by that period a lot of things would change for better or worse. This would also help with finding enough people, since in reality you would only need a minimum of 3 people. The big reason why rule #1 was there, was so that people understand that running a kingdom isn't always peachy and good, sometimes you lose and bad things happen, and that is part of the roleplaying experience.

Also while we played (we played like 2-3 games at the same time as different nations, done with one hop on the other one) we created short summaries of our characters life, for example..

Count Ryan Lancaster (1194-1267) assumed the throne upon his father's death and continued the family struggle to gain the Dukedom back that was recently lost. He participated in the Battle of Red River in 1245 with his host of 500 men in hopes that the King of England would recognize his legal claim to the Lancaster Dukedom. Later, he married the noblewoman, Elizabeth Blount, who some say was quite a beauty, from that they had two sons and a daughter. A year before his death, in 1266, the he managed to get enough support to reclaim his former families Lancaster lands when he was made Duke by Henry XII, King of England.

The summaries usually helped people understand what was happening during the previous player character's life, and with that was the link to the save file.

Anyhow, basically ranting lol :)

I think the emphasis here should be on ROLE PLAY rather than winning the game or doing well. So I don't think anyone should resort to those tactics. Like you have nothing to gain anyway. It's not a competition about who can create the most prestigious and pious character.

But yes I like the idea of writing about the character's life at the end. So it could be like an AAR.

Indeed, sometime bad things happen. Like your promising 22 martial heir dying in a stupid skirmish and leaving you with a 1 year old as heir-apparent. ;_;

Anyway, It would be great if people actully planned an Aar, as opposed to just writing whatever they remembered in the end as an afterthough, but I suppose thats left up for personal preference...

I think we should do the AAR, thats how its being done in eu3, really fun!

So, were 6 people if i counted right, CK+DV and latest beta?

Darn, did I arrive too late? I'd love to join in, but I've never done one of these. I'd also say roleplaying it would be much funner than "power gaming" it.

I think the emphasis here should be on ROLE PLAY rather than winning the game or doing well. So I don't think anyone should resort to those tactics. Like you have nothing to gain anyway. It's not a competition about who can create the most prestigious and pious character.

But yes I like the idea of writing about the character's life at the end. So it could be like an AAR.

That was the reason for the rule, because we know that out of several people there is always that one that would resort to reloading a previous save point just to do it better. Even my character (King of England) in MTW2 only lasted a few years, if I remember correctly he conquered the rest of Britain, but then died from natural causes soon after, it was a short reign.

CK+DV and latest beta?

I believe I have the most up-to-date patch for CK+DV, but I'm not using any mods.

Would we start as a count and then work our way up? What nation? I'm in favor of England, France, Ireland, or Scotland. I've never started as anything other than a count, I like plotting against my fellow vassals and working my way up to the throne. I usually play as the Count of Lincoln or somewhere around there, since it's always in between the King of England and the Duke's of Lancaster and Northumberland, which always seem to have a civil war.

Roleplaying over powergaming is definitely the way to go. Once you reach Kingdom level in CK its way to easy to just gobble up the world and spend the next hundred years putting down rebellious vassals. Roleplaying helps to slow that process down a little bit. I know I always try to choose the options in events that make the most sense for the character, even if it might not make the most sense from an objective of dominating everyone.

A county is probably good to start with, though it should probably be far away from heathens. It would suck if the first person to play had to come back to this thread sheepishly and say "Guys I got dowed and annexed by muslims on day 3" :(

I'm in favor of anywhere really though...

Well, if I'm allowed to join in (CK is afterall a very long game :)) I'd like to suggest a count in England or France. I can think of a few in England who its a little hard to be gamey with, but I don't know enough of France, but I'll list some interesting choices.

In England:

The Count of Cornwall(in vanilla) or Count of Exeter for Velds Alternate Scenario setup, or the count of Kent. Both are the half brothers of William the Conquerer. Robert is historically remembered as being modest and amiable to his family, whereas Odo is infamous for his depraved nature.

The Dukes of Lancaster or Northumbria, Edwin and Morcar. This may be hard however, and I don't think it'd work out so well.

In France:

The count of Vermandois is the last direct descendant of Charlemagne. That alone makes for a good backstory.

The count of Bourbon is sort of interesting. A decent province and if you play your cards right, you can maybe inherit Aquitaine.

so no one is in?:(

Obviously we missed something. Do we need to actually sign up somewhere, send you an email or what? I've never played multiplayer or joined in any of those other types of 'joint' games, but i'd be willing to give it a shot (CK/DV, latest patch).

just post here if you want to join. people can join in any time, but i think we should vote on who were going to be playing as. And if we keep to voting open until tommorow night (european time) does that sound good? I vote the Count of Vermandois:)