• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Nardi77

Recruit
38 Badges
Apr 7, 2015
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Tyranny: Gold Edition
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • Magicka
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44 -  Back to Hell
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44 Deluxe Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Field Marshal
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • Knights of Honor
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Steel Division: Normand 44 - Second Wave
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II
Good morning'm a big fan of the studio Paradox and Obsidian get too sad to sabar the Tyranny game will not have subtitles in Portuguese it is an even more shame that the gaming market in Brazil is the most yields within and outside the country please revisit this because pay a translator to make this service will be cheap and you guys will be able to do more Brazilians to play the game thank you for your attention to have a good day a hug

Lucas Nardi

There are no plans for Portuguese at this moment, only English, French, German, Spanish, Polish and Russian. It may be added in the future but that remains to be seen.

It is absurd the big studios do not respect Brazilian consumers so know Brazil is the fourth in rank in the world gaming niche and still not make translation must be because the Portuguese is not a poor language

It all comes down to costs and which parts of the world we have the majority of our customers from. Spending thousands of Euros (possibly tens of thousands as Tyranny has several thousand lines of dialogue!) on translating a game to a language that, statistically, a very small percentage of the players come from doesn't make sense from a business perspective. This is why you don't see our games translated to all languages but a select number.

It should also be added that this can ofc change in the future, we may decide to add more translations as we see the market grow, but we can't do it all at once.

Reactions:
I completely understand the issue of spending and customers but I see that once the big studios such as Blizzard who has the diablo 3 and all your games now in Portuguese see that just put the language that Brazilians begin to buy the game this prerogative not translate because of the client letter is indeed an ignorance without much size that has forums in Brazil that are translating Pillars of Eternity and I am appalled at the lack of consideration for customers of Brazil

Reactions:
It all comes down to costs and which parts of the world we have the majority of our customers from. Spending thousands of Euros (possibly tens of thousands as Tyranny has several thousand lines of dialogue!) on translating a game to a language that, statistically, a very small percentage of the players come from doesn't make sense from a business perspective. This is why you don't see our games translated to all languages but a select number.

It should also be added that this can ofc change in the future, we may decide to add more translations as we see the market grow, but we can't do it all at once.
serious, or market ALREADY GROW, hoe much grow you want?

did you guys really make a studie before or this is just some excuse?
i want to see the data!

Reactions:
serious, or market ALREADY GROW, hoe much grow you want?

did you guys really make a studie before or this is just some excuse?
i want to see the data!
I think you are missing the point. It doesn't matter how many gamers there are in Brazil, what matters is how many of those gamers actually play our games. If 100 million play games but only 1000 played Pillars of Eternity, translating Tyranny doesn't make much sense. We could, in effect, find ourselves spending more money on translations than revenue from sales and that isn't good business. I understand this isn't what you want to hear alas it's the lay of the land and you will need to accept this.

Reactions:
I think you are missing the point. It doesn't matter how many gamers there are in Brazil, what matters is how many of those gamers actually play our games. If 100 million play games but only 1000 played Pillars of Eternity, translating Tyranny doesn't make much sense. We could, in effect, find ourselves spending more money on translations than revenue from sales and that isn't good business. I understand this isn't what you want to hear alas it's the lay of the land and you will need to accept this.

Isn't this a chicken or the egg situation a bit? Can it be that the sales in Brasil and Portugal are low because it is not in Portuguese. It seems like an endless cycle in that case... I'm from a country that will never have a translation and even though my english is acceptable/good, I had to struggle to understand the wording of Pillars at times (even had to google it up). It's not like an FPS were you could get by with some basic words and that's it. Where I'm getting at is there are just so many people fluent in a given country in the available languages, perhaps that's why your sales figures don't add up for those countries.

well TinyWiking have to accept is one thing so I will not buy the game and I hope that many of my friends and Brazilians start to value studios that give value to the Brazilian market as Blizzard thank you for your great contribution, good afternoon big hug

Isn't this a chicken or the egg situation a bit? Can it be that the sales in Brasil and Portugal are low because it is not in Portuguese. It seems like an endless cycle in that case... I'm from a country that will never have a translation and even though my english is acceptable/good, I had to struggle to understand the wording of Pillars at times (even had to google it up). It's not like an FPS were you could get by with some basic words and that's it. Where I'm getting at is there are just so many people fluent in a given country in the available languages, perhaps that's why your sales figures don't add up for those countries.
THIS, THIS SO MUCH THIS, its dosent help when the guys dont even try !!

i see many LITTLE studios that can not eve dream in make a rpg but still make their little games in portuguese, just look at steam so much little indies that could go easy and just realease their games in english,spanish but they go in hope for something more and release in some languages that big studios guys like say are not ''profit''

funny thing stellaris, hearts of iron IV have a portuguese subs, seems that paradox have some faith on us, and know what? its helps, its make grow a little more the brazilian community in this kind of game!
why not this, why not obsidian?

Last edited:
THIS, THIS SO MUCH THIS, its dosent help when the guys dont even try !!

i see many LITTLE studios that can not eve dream in make a rpg but still make their little games in portuguese, just look at steam so much little indies that could go easy and just realease their games in english,spanish but they go in hope for something more and release in some languages that big studios guys like say are not ''profit''

funny thing stellaris, hearts of iron IV have a portuguese subs, seems that paradox have some faith on us, and know what? its helps, its make grow a little more the brazilian community in this kind of game!
why not this, why not obsidian?

In this, I actually have to defend Obsidian. This isn't on their table at all. Paradox as the publisher handles localizations, just like in Pillars of Eternity.

That being said, I completely understand their position. While Tyranny has tons of dialogue and narrative issues, the sheer volume of the combined text shouldn't be understated. It's absolutely massive, which makes it prohibitively expensive to translate it unless there's a very clear and present market incentive to do so. Comparing to Stellaris isn't viable, because it's a completely different beast. I could sit down and translate much of Stellaris to Portuguese with Google Translate, and I don't speak a lick of Portuguese - the point being, Stellaris is very short on narrative or conversational writing.

I can understand the frustration, but the fact of the matter is that in terms of PC Gaming as a culture (ignoring consoles and smartphone "games"), CRPG:s, especially supposedly-narrative-driven ones, is a niche within a niche. That there are this or that many total "gamers" in Brazil (such statistics often being tremendously flawed, due to the ambiguity of the terminology or gamer self-identification) doesn't really say much, either, and for whatever reason, finding reliable publicly available statistics relating to genre and sales preferences in South America isn't easy.

And finally, many that are interested in these games are already people that are, to some degree, "intellectual" (for lack of a better term, I realize it sounds aggrandizing, not to mention belittling to FPS-mass-market knuckle-draggers and console peasantry), and given that almost a full third (32%) of Portugal speaks English and English has eclipsed French in Brazil as the principal second language among educated people, this will further bite into the already questionable value of translating the game to Portuguese.

Reactions:
Consider this as a possibility, reach out for the community. During my graduate studies I got my spare cash teaching english here in Brazil, having finished High school in the US, and still have my certifcates of english as second language, part of my masters was in the Germany, which I don't speak, so I had to communicate in english. I wouldn't and couldn't promise to do the work all by myself, nor would I do it without someone to recheck my work, I translate medical articles constantly for friends, but because of my job. I can't promise a lot of time to help, nor perfection in it, hence the need for someone to check my work, however what I can do is work, consistently, and for free.
Cheers.
Dan.

It's very nice of you to offer and I don't doubt that we could get the community involved, however, if we'd decided to translate the game into another language it would be done by an agency. There are several reasons for this but mainly because we'd then be able to control the quality of the work in a better way than we would if several different volunteers did it.

Reactions:
It's very nice of you to offer and I don't doubt that we could get the community involved, however, if we'd decided to translate the game into another language it would be done by an agency. There are several reasons for this but mainly because we'd then be able to control the quality of the work in a better way than we would if several different volunteers did it.

Quite understandable. Thank you for taking the time to respond.
A consideration, just thinking outside the box, is hiring, if the agency agreed to a lower price, to proofread the already made community translations.
Such agreement could possibly get you a better bottom line. You could form a cadre of 'known' participants with reliable skills and they'd (the agency) would later proofread.
I also agree it would be very difficult to maintain the quality shown in your games' translations with unknown freelancers.
Silly of me to think you guys hadn't thought of the community yet. Although I'm mainly a 'voyeur' in this forums, I've been here long enough to know you guys care, and listen to us, (your response just another evidence), and are fully aware how much the community loves your (I really want to say ours here because I sometimes feel your games are made just for me...) games.
Cheers,
Dan

Okay, the game was not translated by cost issues.
I bought the game and I really liked it, can I translate the game and publish it in github?

This game is very reminiscent of Brazilian politics.