• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hope this submod is updated together with the SWMH map for 936 anytime soon. Really itching to play as a one of the Roman Symbasileus in that date.

Anyhow great job

What incompabilities have you encountered? I've played it along with several other mods and barring the born in the purple trait not showing up for symbasileus' children, it pretty much works as intented.

What I'd like to see are more features, maybe a strong vassal (or your regent) can appoint themselves as or force you to makenthem your symbasileus? Would this be historical?

Excellent mod.

So I started work on this around the time the devs released the 1043 bookmark as a minor flavour mod for Zoe and Theodora (hence the name, Google Translate-ese for "Long Live the Empresses"), since I didn't think a weak claim alone was enough to represent their importance. Since the stuff I made for them has largely been rendered obsolete by a combination of bloodlines and the imperial succession law, it branched out into a general Byzantine Empire flavour mod.

If the devs want to integrate this submod as a whole or any part of it into SWMH, EMF or whatever, just say the word. As long as I get credit, that's fine by me.

Features:

* The main feature is co-emperorship, represented by the symbasileus minor title.
** This title, if it's going to be used by players at all, should be used with caution: it isn't revocable and immediately grants a strong claim on your primary title (if the co-emperor somehow loses the title, they'll revert to whichever strength claim they had beforehand, if any).
** The conditions to grant it are fairly restrictive (mainly to stop the AI screwing itself over by handing out co-emperorships like Smarties), but historical, so you probably won't be able to grant it to (m)any people immediately after starting.
** It has double the weighting on imperial succession that the despot title has, and counts as born in the purple.
** You can create up to 3 co-emperors because (apart from in the interval between the Macedonian and Komnenos dynasties when pretty much all of Constantine X, Romanos IV, and Michael VII's sons were (largely symbolic) co-emperors at various, overlapping points) that was the most to exist at any one time during the game period (under Romanos I).
** And of course, any co-emperor and their spouse will receive snazzy new imperial finery to suit their station (although the new clothes won't show up on the same day you grant the title).
** UPDATE: Symbasileus parents will now have purple-born children.

* Since having Basil ahistorically start as emperor is no longer such a requirement for the rise of his dynasty, I've resurrected Michael III in the 867 bookmark, and added his missing mother and sisters to the game (they're all nuns, though, so not much use as successors). Also, his wife, Eudokia Dekapolitissa.

* Basil, and all other historical co-emperors from the game period, start as co-emperors. To this end, I've also added in Andronikos I Komnenos' missing second son, Ioannes, who was his chosen heir and co-emperor (surprised he wasn't in-game already tbh).

* Basil still starts married to Eudokia Ingerina (whose culture is now Greek, but is still ethnically Norse), but she's also Michael III's lover, and Basil has Michael's sister Thekla as a lover.

* Updated and standardised all Greek character names in line with the updates to the Greek name list a few patches ago.

* Finally, I've opened up the Varangian Guard not only to North Germanics, but also East Slavs, Anglo-Saxons and Anglo-Norse (provided there are no independent rulers of either culture, to match history), Englishmen, and Crimean Goths (because why not?). Any kind of non-Hellenic pagan who joins the Varangians is now at risk of returning home a Christian zealot, rather than just Norse pagans. Scandinavians will also stop joining up once their top liege has protected inheritance (a historical measure employed by the Scandinavian monarchies to stop so many of their men pissing off to Miklagard because joining the Varangians was that lucrative a career path).

Known issues:

* None, currently

Edit: made a separate version (Zeto e Basileios) with Basil the Macedonian starting as emperor in 867

Hello! I've played not a long time but enough time and this mod is fantastic, but have you think about add the year 769 to this mod? That could be very cool, even if there weren't historics co-emperors in that years. Why add that? 769 is the first year that you can play in vanilla game, you can develop yours baronies/posessions. So... if you can make this possible that would be great. Thanks !
PD: Mi english is a work in progress xd Thanks !

Update almost ready, just need to sort out the version with Basil I and some weird bug where you can make the Varangian Captain a co-emperor even though the conditions should exclude it.

Hello! I've played not a long time but enough time and this mod is fantastic, but have you think about add the year 769 to this mod? That could be very cool, even if there weren't historics co-emperors in that years. Why add that? 769 is the first year that you can play in vanilla game, you can develop yours baronies/posessions. So... if you can make this possible that would be great. Thanks !
PD: Mi english is a work in progress xd Thanks !

Well, Leon IV was a co-emperor in 769 so I'll put that in the title history. As for the 769 bookmark itself, I'll make a version of the bookmark file that includes it. I suppose you'll still need HIP without SWMH for it to work properly though.

Update almost ready, just need to sort out the version with Basil I and some weird bug where you can make the Varangian Captain a co-emperor even though the conditions should exclude it.
Amazing to hear, was just about to start another Roman game but that can wait.

What would be the highlights of the update for you?

Been feeling an itch to play in or near the ERE lately. Will give this a try when you've updated :)

One thing that would be cool as an expansion on the ERE theme is some more incentive for the Emperor to revoke themata from characters that are bad in both administration and strategy, especially if they hold more than one. I don't know how this could be achieved though.

Any news on the update? Really looking forward to trying this out in a Byzantine game, just what I've been missing! Looks really neat.

Any news on the update? Really looking forward to trying this out in a Byzantine game, just what I've been missing! Looks really neat.

Obviously the update in December set me back a bit, but now that the holidays are over I have a few free weeks before the start of the next semester, so I'll try to get it done in that time. Most of the hassle is just from a few huge files that inevitably get changed often.

Last edited:
Obviously the update in December set me back a bit, but now that the holidays are over and I have a few free weeks before the start of the next semester, so I'll try to get it done in that time. Most of the hassle is just from a few huge files that inevitably get changed often.
Looking forward to it! Been wanting to try my hand at a Byzantine run lately, and would love to include this mod :)

Didn't realize until last week that the main mod has been updated to cover 936. I do hope that this mod is updated anytime soon so I finally can be able to play as the Co-Emperors and to finish the Makedonian restoration or maybe a new Lekapenos dinasty. :)

Would this still be compatible with the current version of SWMH? Such a simple yet great mechanic both historical as well as in gameplay terms, taking a risk in the present to decrease the risk of turmoil upon succession.

This isn't exactly the same as this mod, for one thing it lacks the modified history files with (almost) all the historical co-emperors. Also this mod adds some modifications to the Varangian Guard events. IIRC the mechanic to appoint a co-emperor is different as well. Actually I've been keeping an updated version of this mod for my own use, but it's partially modified to suit my uses/opinion and at any rate I'd need the permission of Lysistrata to post it.

Reactions:
This isn't exactly the same as this mod, for one thing it lacks the modified history files with (almost) all the historical co-emperors. Also this mod adds some modifications to the Varangian Guard events. IIRC the mechanic to appoint a co-emperor is different as well. Actually I've been keeping an updated version of this mod for my own use, but it's partially modified to suit my uses/opinion and at any rate I'd need the permission of Lysistrata to post it.

You're welcome to do so, I've been modding/playing other games lately.

• 1Like
Reactions:
You're welcome to do so, I've been modding/playing other games lately.
OK, thanks for the permission. This is my updated version, it has two main differences as far as I can remember, the minor titles and elective modifier weights match the original "Co-emperor and Symbasileus" mod, before this mod I was using my own modified version of that mod together with HIP and I got used to those values. The other difference is that every Greek Neapolitan character is Catholic, this is because historically Neapolitan bishops went to Rome for confirmation. I'm posting this as it is, literally unmodified, but if anyone needs some tweaks or finds some issues I can try to do something about it.

Attachments

• Zeto e Basileios Frosty 3 Update-Mod.zip
    112 KB · Views: 0
  • 3Like
Reactions:
Thanks for sharing, I'll give it a try over the Steam version.

Byzantinist nitpick: You guys really should decide between ζώντων αἱ βᾰσῐ́λῐσσαι (Zonton e Basilisse, i.e. Long Live the Queens!) or ζήτω ὁ βᾰσῐλεύς (Zeto o Basileus, i.e. Long Live the King!). :*

OK, thanks for the permission. This is my updated version, it has two main differences as far as I can remember, the minor titles and elective modifier weights match the original "Co-emperor and Symbasileus" mod, before this mod I was using my own modified version of that mod together with HIP and I got used to those values. The other difference is that every Greek Neapolitan character is Catholic, this is because historically Neapolitan bishops went to Rome for confirmation. I'm posting this as it is, literally unmodified, but if anyone needs some tweaks or finds some issues I can try to do something about it.

Does your version of the mod work with the Roman Empire title too? Also, does it have different localizations for different cultures, like Roman culture?

Last edited: