• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Quick fix
  • As I work on the main updates, just realized the slave army CBs are totally mucked up and the wars invalidate straight away. Corrected the error in the attached file. Just replace the relevant CB file with the attached.

Attachments

• my_cb_types.txt
      19,2 KB · Views: 57
    Updated 6.10.18
  • Update time. I was intending to hold off completely until a new HIP release but thought I 'd show what I've been busy with.

Naturally this will require a new save.

Changelog: 6-10-18

TMM: Basics

Slave Armies
    - Refined the slave army mechanics. The amount they increase by is now tied to your castle construction technology level. Couldn't get it to work in relation to actual castle keep size.
    - The ability to actually increase size is now limited to the slave army power level. Armies with an equal relative power to their liege cannot be increased.
    - Circumstances involving their disbanding now more defined. They need to be a certain size,threat or wealth level to their liege before the option even appears.
    - If an attempt is made to disband, they may peacefully dissolve on your command or in worst cases become landless raiding adventurers. It works but is still experimental.
    - An ambitious commander may ask to increase troop size himself.

Slave commanders, courtiers, rulers etc
    - Lowered stats for instant recruit soldiers in response to feedback. Their base stats are now the same as the generic employable nobles.
    - Over time child trainee mamluks etc now a appear for king-tier and above rulers who have recruited the above mentioned commanders. As such they can be trained in any education.
    - Generals of slave armies including the Mamluk & Ghilman companies now recruit 2 of their own commanders. Dependent on whether their liege is also doing so.
    - Events for commanders of slave companies similar to the vanilla mercenary tombola chain. These are the basics of more interactive events for them which I'm creating.

Historic characters and landed rulers
    - More or less fully mapped out the historic Mamluk na'ibs of Damascus from 1265-1337. Many of their subordinates and contemporaries also now present. More to come.
    - Added more governors in upper Egypt from the mamluk era. Again this is still ongoing.
    - More wives and daughters added for mainly the Qalawunids but also Baibars al-Zahir.
    - More historic courtiers added. Many of these will eventually be landed once I get to their relevant holdings.
    - Sifted through various characters and granted them traits based on the records I have. As well as adding relevant causes of death to history files.

Other stuff
    -
    Mamluk and Ghilman companies can now be vassalised by relevant rulers.
    - Sorted out an issue where slave armies were given land by their liege somehow on rare occasions. Almost always happened in the Seljuk expansion starts.
    - I am working on trying to make it so they are landed with a baron tier castle in your capital. However this is a long way down the road.
    - Various localisation fixes for the sub-mod's events, decisions etc. There are still more to do however.

As always these are still WIP so things may be very different for the next release. Any suggestions/feedback heartily received and need!

Requirements: 2018-06-21 (Hydra6)

I have the full HIP installed as below

[HIP Release 2018-06-21 (Hydra6)]
    EMF: Extended Mechanics & Flavor (v8.06 - 2018-06-21)
    Arumba and Internal Tab Shortcuts (2018-06-16)
    ARKO Interface (2018-06-16)
    SWMH (v3.12 - 2018-06-21)
    ARKO Armoiries (2018-06-16)
    LTM (C - 2017-12-09)
    CPRplus (v2.9.4 - 2018-05-02)

As far as DLC is concerned I have everything except the Aztec one.

Install as you would any mod.

Place both the MOD.file and the TMM Basics folder in your CK2 mod folder area.

Thanks to Aasmul and the HIP team

As well as elvain's below thread which I think helps greatly with the mechanics of how to represent much of this idea in game.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...nd-enhanced-islam.905195/page-2#post-20617714

Attachments

• TMM Updated 6.10.18.7z
      250,3 KB · Views: 32
    Last edited:
    Updated 10.03.19 - (Furry2) compatible
  • Yuuuuge update.
    May as well release something now or I never will....

Changelog: 10-03-19

TMM: Basics for (Furry2)

Slave Armies

-
    They are now set up to have landed baron tier castles either in or adjacent to your capital province.
    - Achieved via targeted decision on whichever non-dynastic, non-religious head etc baron whose castle you intend to "acquire".

ck2_3.png

- As such slave armies can only be enlarged, improved etc if they are landed. They can still function unlanded and there are decisions to grant them barony holdings if needed.

- Mamluks now exist only after 1240 and as-Salih's rise to power. They are based in the b_fustat holding and I have assigned historical characters who served as Atabek al-'Asakir to the title where possible. They can also still be created similar to the Varangians by decision after the Mongol Empire arrives.

- The Ghilmans now exist for the Abbasids but I am yet to work on them regarding holdings. They can be assigned a barony.

- Both Ghilman and Mamluks can be enlarged provided they are landed. They are also capable of rebelling if provoked or if they prefer your heir. Keep a sharp eye on their opinion.

- Slave commanders can only be jailed or suffer hostile diplomatic acts if they have been stripped of their command. Granting them diplomatic immunity is a workaround to stop the AI being dumb and trying to revoke their baronies. They can still be assasinated.

Obviously I intend to flesh all this out massively with their landed or landless status having effects on rebellion, morale, declining numbers, possibly factions etc. For now I just needed to see if it works.
    At least with land they now have cause to spend the incredible amounts of money mercenaries hoard.

- Added much needed offspring and wives to three major mamluk emirs.
    - Kitbugha, Tankiz and Qarasunqur now have their named historical sons. I'll probably add their named grandchildren too at some point. Tankiz now has his most well known spouse.
    - Further source based additions to Levantine title history files. Chiefly more Mamluk governors of Kerak as well as regions in Edessa and Antioch. The Khwarezmian future father in law of Baybars now also holds Jerusalem when relevant. I intend my first war bookmark to be the Battle of La Forbie so this history change is the beginning of that modding process.

Retinues, buildings etc.
    -Feudal Levantine and Egyptian Arabs no longer use camels. Replaced by Mujaffafat al-khayl which is supposed to represent the cataphract style cavalry employed in particular by central Islamic powers from the Ummayads onward. Either freeborn nobles or ghulams and mentioned regularly in both Muslim and Byzantine sources.

- Also given them the embolon tactic since their armies would have been heavily influenced by their Byzantine opponents and vice versa.

- Their castle culture now gives cavalry but this is just a placeholder.

I mainly used David Nicolle's paper on horse armour in the Islamic Middle East for unit name as well as the general idea.

-Various new buildings to really beef up Berber,Bedouin and other tribals. Tied to things such as terrain and culture. Norse rulers in eastern European provinces with ports get special buildings too.

- Certain cultures ( e.g Yemenis, Latin groups in Outremer, Ethiopians ) or religious orders ( Ismail'i assassins) if feudal also get new buildings to highlight historical martial characteristics.

Government
    -Muslims can call tribal vassals to arms yet receive no tax from them. Hopefully provides some historic parallel especially with the more powerful tribals. In early bookmarks they should be valuable yet volatile military vassals.

Removed features
    - Trainee mamluks; they kept being culled by the game often when reaching the age of 16. This is generally an issue anyway with many historical courtiers not being tagged as essential in large courts.
    - The ghulam dynasty traits will be gone in the next release as they are pointless

Things to do
    Far too much to say. Essentially whatever you think can be improved/added is probably what I also want to do!

Requirements: HIP Release - 2019-03-04 (Furry2) - Full SWMH & EMF

Attachments

• TMM Updated 10.03.19.7z
      621,1 KB · Views: 49
    Updated: 20-04-19
  • Changelog: 20-04-19
    TMM: Basics for (Furry4)

Slave Armies
    Starting to make the vassal merc armies more related to the status of the creator's realm
    -Parameters for their creation more restrictive, e.g can't be over demesne limit.
    -Increasing their size now dependent on military organisation tech level.

Beginning to work towards the 1244 La Forbie bookmark.
    - 1229 to 1244 has the county of Jerusalem back under Frankish control. In reality Jerusalem changed hands more than once during this 15 year period. The Al-Quds holding should stay with the Ayyubids as happend historically, but it keeps reverting to the KOJ after startup so I've compromised and given the KOJ control over the whole county.
    - Around 1250 to 1260 has an-Nasir Yusuf as an independent king tier ruler of Syria. Historically he was essentially the Sultan of Damascus during this period after refusing to accept Mamluk rule.
    - I've had to amend the off_map China histories a little. Namely just changed the status from civil war to stable etc. A big problem for me is the regular or immediate collapse of Mongol China during periods when ruled by the Ogodeid and Toluid dynasties. In vanilla they are just Borjigin so the events for off_map China are still geared towards this and the Mongols never successfully win off_map invasion events nor stay in power for a historically accurate length of time.

Events
    - Historical mamluks now spawn at allotted times in relevant courts if they are not yet mamluks at the start of various bookmarks. Provided certain criteria are met of course. This can also be removed by setting the HIP historical outcomes to passive.

Retinues, buildings etc.
    -Various additional feudal buildings relevant to Outremer Christian rulers.
    - I'm working on having reinforcement events for Outremer Crusader states so these buildings may just be placeholders.

Things to do
    As always many features are still being worked on. I'll probably start posting more information in between releases.

Requirements: HIP Release - 2019-04-15 (Furry4) - Full SWMH & EMF

Attachments

• TMM Updated 20.04.19.zip
      923,8 KB · Views: 46
    Last edited:
    Updated 19.05.19
  • Changelog: 19.05.19
    TMM: Basics for (Furry7)

Requirements: HIP Release - (Furry7) - Full SWMH & EMF

Attachments

• TMM Updated 19.05.19.zip
      615,9 KB · Views: 37
    Snippet of progress
  • A much smaller and more vague progress update than I hoped. I also can't seem to post images properly so links will have to do.

In a nutshell I'm making it so relevant Muslim rulers rely entirely on retinues ( more on them later) and special baron tier mamluk regiments for their chief military power. Cities will be only good for wealth and temple holdings only really martial in certain contexts. Overall I'm trying a military overhaul generally with much of martial Christendom also being looked at.

Baron tier vassals now represent mamluk regiments as opposed to the dynamic merc model from before. Availability is currently based on a special military slavery law available to specific feudal government Muslim realms at certain tech levels.

They have their own government which is essentially fully subservient to their liege when it comes to obligations.

https://imgur.com/lOVpStU

Specific unit compositions will depend on the type of mamluk regiment owning the holding. In this single case, Bahri mamluks. Relevant Muslim rulers will have these sorts of mamluk vassal regiments already present on start up via on action events. The numbers and buildings are just at a basic placeholder level. Will need to work out troop amounts etc later.

https://imgur.com/a/zf2F2eL

All their buildings will be handled via decisions or perhaps events. Only the basic regiment building giving units is currently ready. There will be other location specific buidlings to counter province modifiers which negatively affect levy amounts etc. These are meant to represent a standing army after all and their growth is down to the actions of a liege.

Military Changes 1: Basic Premise & Byzantines
  • Terrain Based Armies
    As a default this is what is always available to all as the basic option. For example mountainous provinces give mainly infantry. Another would be forests, jungle etc. giving mainly archers, or cavalry only usually being found in open plains.
    Done to save having to edit the many different cultural castles in order to make portraying slave armies easier. This sort of does the same thing as culture castles but in a much less detailed fashion. Cultures on the map generally correspond to their environment anyway.

More Advanced Armies
    These replace more basic systems and allow for incorporating more heavily armed and professional forces. Less limited by location, terrain, culture etc. in the armies they can field.
    Heavier units (knights, pike-men & heavy infantry) are far more restricted to these states. Outside of mercenaries or a handful of other exceptions, only the richer societies in game can have them.

Imperial Byzantine
    An example of a more advanced military setup relative to other states, would be the Byzantine Empire. They will be given a very abstract portrayal of their historical military. This is the basic progress so far.

- Themes
    The basis of this can be shown as the Themes system of army divisions. Here they are building chains which offer a decent level of heavy infantry and some heavy cavalry right from the start. The higher levels of these buildings are only able to be built by Duke tier or above characters. Themes are only available to Imperial Government Byzantine Empire characters. May restrict them even further to Greek culture characters.

https://imgur.com/a/kYRQHOX

- Tagmata
    Available only to the emperor and located in Constantinople to represent the many standing army divisions. A series of buildings which give a large boost to retinue caps. May also create special much more cost effective retinues which can be recruited if the Tagmata buildings are present. This will be where the emperor gets the bulk of his heavy cavalry.

https://imgur.com/Fzyvjde

Last edited:
    Mamluk Succession
  • Seems possible to do as a succession type for certain mamluk run states. At this point just for Egypt as a special one similar to the ERE mechanics. This was less than a month into the start. Eventually more eligible candidates appeared.

https://imgur.com/a/gIdwjL4

Likely should not be default and only present in certain starts (Aybak etc ). Just an example in this instance.

Last edited:
    News Update: More Historical Rulers
  • Sorry for late replies. Back to adding more history files which will be present for whenever I release the latest version.

Still many gaps with vanilla placeholders which needed fixing. Main focus still on improving Mamluk Syria as I continue work on the special Mamluk government concept.

Mamluk al-Bira
    Approximately corresponding to the in game al-Ruha/Edessa region, this was one of the most important fortresses in the Mamluk empire. A major line of defense against Mongol invasion.
    Added historical Mamluk governors of this region from the time of Baybars all the way until the last start date.
    A famous one being Aqqush al-Barli. Former mamluk of al-Aziz Muhammad, veteran of Ayn Jalut, brief governor of Palestine under Qutuz, Syrian adventurer, aspiring sultan of Aleppo and ultimately a rival of Baybars before he submitted.

https://imgur.com/a/sALYMuU

Mamluk Palestine

Breaking up some of the duke tier blobs such as Jerusalem and Syria in certain starts with various characters.

One example being Badr al-Din Muhammad. Son of the notorious Khwarizmi chieftain, brother in-law to Baybars and uncle to Baybars' short lived successor. Important emir during the reign of Baybars and his first son. Made him ruler of Jerusalem as his family apparently remained active in the area and his clan mausoleum is generally accepted to be located there.

https://imgur.com/a/PHh0k9S
    Stats are random.

Ilkhanate Syria

Adding historical members of the various Mongol invasions. Either as commanders, family members or governors brought in to administer the conquered areas.

We all know of Kitbuqa, the defiant Mongol commander at Ayn Jalut. Well did you know that history has recorded the name of at least one of his sons? Named as Qutlugh Qaymish by Ibn Wasil. Apparently captured and had a conversation with Qutuz during or after Ayn Jalut. This may have served as the inspiration behind the likely fictional boast Kitbuqa is said to have made before his death.

https://imgur.com/a/Df86few
    Random stats

Kitbuqa's brief occupation government, his commanders and pro-Mongol collaborators. An expanding list.

https://imgur.com/a/SWVpsoj - Tukal Bakhshi. Unnamed and alluded to in Arabic sources but named in the Persian ones. Foreign bureaucrat ( likely a Uighur Buddhist or perhaps eastern/steppe Muslim ) governor of Aleppo under Kitbuqa

https://imgur.com/a/g8L8yOz - Badr al-Din Yusuf al-Khwarazmi. An ex-Ayyubid governor of Baalbek. Sided with the Mongols so they reinstated his position. Was likely still overseen by an unnamed Mongol superior.

As well as at least 3 of his named key commanders. With the accompanying stats and historical entries relevant to their characters.

Ilkhanate Mosul

https://imgur.com/a/GG4ki5E - The mysterious Mulay. Mongol governor of Mosul by at least 1296 and major military commander in the Ilkhanate. Leading part of Ghazan era major offensives into Mamluk Syria. Works of historical fantasy have apparently on occasion fused this Mongol general with the Templar Jacques de Molay.

How playable is this mod exactly right now?

Not very I'd say. History files are well out of date but the old dynamic merc stuff probably works.

Last edited:
    TMM History Only release - 09.07.20 - EMF & SWMH required
  • Any news on how things are going with the mod? Just a general status update would be fine.

Speak of the devil.....

I should really release something. This version adds most of the large history file updates I have been working on. Still working on the actual full version containing all my various poor man attempts at representing military slavery.

- Found another historical wife for Baibars al-Zahir
    - Massive update to Qalawunid family tree with various improvements. Corrected the ethnicity of his spouses and added more historical in laws as well as children.
    - More major non-royal mamluk emirs now have their male progeny
    - More historical count and duke tier rulers in the Mamluk Levant as well as a fully mapped out Mamluk al-Bira frontier.
    - More historical late Ayyubid and Mamluk era governors in various parts of Egypt. Specifically the powerful vice-Sultan Salar.
    - Added various Wafidiyya (Mongols, Kurds etc) characters. Many of these are also married into various mamluk dynasties
    - Added various Mongol officials during the brief occupation prior to Ayn Jalut
    - Numerous character trait updates based on whatever I can dig up from primary or secondary sources.
    - Two Sunni Muslim Holy Orders
    - Added the Khwarazmian plunderer of Jerusalem to his historical areas in the Jazirah prior to his attack on the holy city. A starting event gives him a claim and a historically accurate number of horde cavalry. 12,000 to be exact.

Just unzip as you would any mod to the relevant Paradox mod folder.

Attachments

• TMM History Only.zip
      470,2 KB · Views: 0
    • 7Like
    Reactions:
    TMM History Only release - 12.07.20 - EMF & SWMH required - Frosty 3
  • I'll need to do an information cleanup as far as the opening post is concerned if or when I release the full sub-mod.

For now please see an updated version of TMM History Only for Frosty 3. Not much changed as I think the old version was compatible but I added some of the presumably updated SWMH character files merged with the changes I have made to my own. Also added an odd fix for a weird apparent SWMH issue with the unit sprites for the Arabic culture group.

Attachments

• TMM History Only.12.07.20.zip
      439,8 KB · Views: 0
    • 4Like
    Reactions:
    Retinue Spawning?
  • Apparently it is now possible to spawn retinues into the game similar to event troops. I have done a few tests and it basically works.

From the wiki this command works from any character scope and spawns a full stack of whatever retinue is specified albeit with reinforcing morale in your capital.

create_retinue = RETTYPE_CUL_HUNG.

My original intention was to use retinues to represent slave armies with a whole new building line to represent the infrastructure required to have them. However the feudal government AI (in particular Egypt king tier rulers) never build them quick enough or ever in some cases. This new information changes quite a bit and may open new opportunities.

My current WIP system uses levies for slave armies and has them represented as special capital scope only vassals. They have a government type that bypasses levy obligation laws using the "max_liege_levy =" feature in government. They hold a single castle barony and have a dynamic duke tier title eventually.

ck2_3.png

They also get modifiers to make them as good as retinues in terms of various building modifiers. Meaning they are a retinue type vassal who can join factions, marry, declare war, rebel etc. In this case the two Military Govt vassals ( one historic and the other generated on start up ) in the capital province give an army almost identical to the real maximum amount of Royal Mamluks that were active in Egypt in the late 13th century. Generally 4-10 thousand from the 1250s onward.

ck2_5.png

However this isn't perfect as they still suffer from the levies raised too long opinion hit. As well as still not providing the absolute max number of troops even with the special government type. Together with it being hard to give specific amounts numerical wise owing to the various background modifiers that need to be taken into account.

ck2_4.png

I might use this system instead to represent other types of military regiments such as the eventually largely freeborn Halqa in Egypt or the various other non-mamluk Kurdish, Berber, Turcoman, Iranian etc. groups employed throughout Islamic states. These were salaried soldiers but also were semi-professional in that they were more like adventurers or part time mercenaries a lot of the time.

• 6Like
    Reactions:
    Final history update 1.9.20
  • CK3 is here! A final history file only update for anybody interested. Adds more early (1250 to 1270'ish) mamluk emirs. Mainly a number of Baibars' initial officer corps. A few other additions here and there too.

I will be transferring over to CK3 fully and continuing my efforts there regarding military slavery mechanics. Much of what I was planning here might be more effective using the new game engine. I will likely try my own full mod first since it might be sometime before a CK3 HIP appears.

Attachments

• TMM History Only.1.9.20.zip
      471,8 KB · Views: 0
    • 3Like
    Reactions: