• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Qutb87

Second Lieutenant
16 Badges
Apr 12, 2013
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
Final version of the sub-mod is a history only one which amends only character and title histories without really adding mechanics. A few muslim holy orders are added as well a unique Khwarazmian adventurer event troop tributary in the 1241 to 1244 starts for As-Salih Ayyub.
Out of date mod details for the obsolete TMM Updated 19.05.19 in the below spoiler;
Introduction

In a nutshell this mod adds basic mechanics for relevant Islamic rulers to recruit slave (mamluk, ghulam, etc) commanders and armies. The aim is to represent as much as possible some of the military slave systems which were so integral to many medieval Islamic powers.

It also aims to add many more Egyptian and Indian based historical mamluk and so called mamluk rulers. There will also be attempts to expand Golden Horde and Ilkhanate game play in particular when it relates to Mamluk Egypt.

I've added it here just to see what if anything people think. I'm still working on it but all the basic stuff functions.

What's included?

Recruit different types of slave commanders

A realm decision which does exactly as it says. They will have a significant loyalty boost for life to their patron and can be assigned as landed non-hereditary rulers in your realm. There are basic events and decisions for them to request hereditary rights from their liege.

On recruitment they convert to their liege culture but obviously keep their ethnicity. The only exception being Bahri and Burji mamluks whom will always convert to the Egyptian culture. Slave commanders will also have an event fire which assigns them a name from an assorted list.

Available for Muslim duke tier and above feudal rulers with at least level 2 keeps or castle towns in their capital.

These requirements will change or become more dynamic as I just needed a basic scope for availability. There are many ways to improve this involving trade routes, laws, technology, religious/cultural spreads etc.

Realms with European territories can recruit Saqaliba.
Well known Slavic or European military and bureaucratic slaves widely used in Andalusia for instance. In game I've drawn them from Balkan cultures bordering the Adriatic.

Available automatically for the holder of k_andalusia.

Realms in African lands can recruit Abid al-Shira.
Black soldiers extensively used by the Fatimids.

Currently anachronistically available for all African territories. I am currently working out how to limit this via geographic regions. North and West African realms have another historically based type to recruit which I will add later.

I have selected their culture as from within the west African group as oppsed to the often assumed Nubian. From what I can tell the sub-Saharan gene flow into Egypt since Islam arrived has been from west or central African areas. It seem logical the slaves provided to northern powers came from cultures therein. Terms such as Nubian can often just be a catch all term to describe anybody south of Egypt.

Nubians and North Sudanese are and were back then an Afro-Asiatic speaking group whom would have raided and traded for slaves beyond their borders to meet the insatiable demand. The same especially goes for Ethiopian/Abyssinian 'Habesha' groups represented in the game.

Realms in Egypt, Syria and Anatolia can recruit Greek/Armenian ghulams
Currently restricted to pre-Mongol Empire unification periods. I'm working on making their availability more dynamic. Perhaps tied to how Islamised the whole of Anatolia has become.

Realms in or east of Mesopotamia can recruit Turkic ghulams

As above, restricted to pre-Mongol empire periods and meant to represent earlier ghulams from Oghuz and other hitherto mostly non-Muslim regions.

Available automatically for the holder of e_arabia.

Post Mongol arrival they are replaced with Cuman ghulams.

Bahri Mamluks
After the Mongols kick off, these become available only for the ruler of Egypt and any of his vassals themselves Bahris or of Bahri mamluk descent. There will be more detail for this involving events etc but currently it just happens. These will be Cuman.

Burji Mamluks
As above except any vassals need to themselves be either descended from or Burji mamluks themselves. Currently their availability is also tied to how Islamised the Steppes have become. These will hail from the Caucasus.

Rulers with lands spanning mulitple regions can recruit whatever slave commander type is available. The only restrictions being of course for Bahri or Burji types.

Slave Armies

This is currently very basic in every way so naturally the aim is to improve this feature massively.

Using a slave commander, independent king-tier + rulers can raise slave armies as mercenary vassals. Three types are Saqaliba, Abid Guard and Mamluk Kassakiya. Only one of each type can be raised. Their numbers can be added to, company disbanded etc.

Availability is currently based on castle town or keep size being at least level two.

The slave company can rebel either in response to the commander being replaced or as an aggressive declaration against a disliked liege.

Thanks to the Standing Armies mod ( not on this site anymore?) creator for this idea.

Historic rulers

This is what is taking so long. Currently mapping out and adding historic mamluk emirs to Egypt. I have easy to use sources on Syria during the Qalawun to an-Nasir periods.

Egypt during this period and earlier is much harder as I'm having to jump across or cross reference multiple ones at a time.

Once I'm done with Egypt I will start on the Delhi Sultanate of which I have a large amount of detail thankfully.

Also adding family members, spouses, historic courtiers etc. Too many to go through but I try to leave notes in the character files for anybody interested. Currently added just over 40 characters for Egypt.

Other tweaks

These are also basic and will be massively improved on. Just needed to see if they work.

# Added a decision for the post Hulegu Ilkhanate to spawn a large cavalry force up to 1303. The Ilkhanate quickly collapses every play through for Hulegu's successors. Particularly the non-Muslim ones owing to massive independence factions. Needless to day the Ilkhans frequently posed a mortal threat to Mamluk Egypt until 1303 so this helps immersion. There is historical basis for this as the Ilkhans still often functioned in a nomadic fashion right into the 14th century. It would be clearly wrong to turn them nomadic as per CK2 mechanics but this certainly helps with some representation.
The huge mounted armies they took into Syria were extensively made up of still nomadic or semi nomadic Mongol.

# Similar albeit less numerous force for the Golden Horde. In this case for the post Batu event troop period of Berke onward so he can be a rival for Hulegu and his vast horde. The Golden Horde/Ilkhan conflict was a significant factor in the Ilkhans having to sometimes withdraw from conflict with the Mamluks.

# Emirate of Crete, Almoravid and early Ottoman troop raising decisions.

# Janissary & Kapikulu vassals. These are more placeholders for what I plan on being a more immersive Ottoman military.

# Ghilman and Mamluk vassals can be led by a slave commander. As above, a placeholder tweak while I hope to make these two vassals more dynamic and involved.

# Numerous historical character stat changes based as much as possible on what sources illustrate.

Install as you would any mod.

Place both the MOD.file and the TMM Basics folder in your CK2 mod folder area.

Thanks to Aasmul and the HIP team

As well as elvain's below thread which I think helps greatly with the mechanics of how to represent much of this idea in game.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...nd-enhanced-islam.905195/page-2#post-20617714

Attachments

• TMM Updated 19.05.19.zip
    615,9 KB · Views: 228
  • TMM History Only.1.9.20.zip
    471,8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions:
great idea!

Would it be worthwhile to add raiding to the Iqta government type? Aside from being a big deal, it also should serve as a means to let said slave armies be used, and also encourage rebelliousness on their part.

Raiding mechanics are something which can certainly be used further down the line. Namely the idea that wars (particularly in Outremer) were often series of raids and counter raids. Massive pitched battles tended to be rarer. However government modding is quite a bit out of range for me right now. Especially when I use the Call to Arms mod from the Norse submod a lot anyway. I'll certainly give it a go at some point. You can also play around with the files to see if you have any luck.

Mainly trying to expand and perfect the basic concepts i.e hiring ghulams, raising armies and making them have a dynamic responsive relationship within the realm. I certainly aim to add CBs for different slave armies to attack each other during periods of weak rule or regencies etc.

I ask because I am lurking around modding in stuff for early feudal government, and intend to allow raiding to occur on both Christian and Muslim powers more frequently (both the Iqta and early feudal government will allow it). It seems fitting, especially given regional conflicts in the Mediterranean (especially Iberia but also Fraxinet and Sicily), or the various raids against the Byzantines by the Caliphate and the Seljuks.

Quick fix
As I work on the main updates, just realized the slave army CBs are totally mucked up and the wars invalidate straight away. Corrected the error in the attached file. Just replace the relevant CB file with the attached.

Attachments

• my_cb_types.txt
    19,2 KB · Views: 57
As I work on the main updates, just realized the slave army CBs are totally mucked up and the wars invalidate straight away. Corrected the error in the attached file. Just replace the relevant CB file with the attached.
Please include it in the zip file of the first post :)

Could you make the Fatimid caliphate a tributary of France for more historical accuracy?
Do you mean like how Eastern Roman pay tribute to the Arabs, the Turks, and the Bulgars at a certain time? I don't think putting the name 'France' on Egypt is a good idea just as putting the name 'Abbasids', 'Bulgaria', and 'Ottomans' over Byzantine.

I only really know of the Fatimids paying tributes to the Franks in Jerusalem. So as famaouz states, not sure this would be accurate for the mod.

I think it makes sense just to have the Kingdom of Jerusalem be a tributary instead of all of France.

Could you make the Fatimid caliphate a tributary of France for more historical accuracy?
I only really know of the Fatimids paying tributes to the Franks in Jerusalem. So as famaouz states, not sure this would be accurate for the mod.
Aside from the simple question of when the Fatimids should be a tributary of the Kingdom of Jerusalem, I would also like to add that you should also consider gameplay impact of said tributary status. Does it make sense for the Fatimids to call for KoJ help when attacked (and vice versa)? Also, was the financial agreement between the two realms as regular and semi-permanent as CK2's tributary relation would suggest?

If tributary relationship leads to historically implausible situation, tributary relationship is not worth it IMO.

Aside from the simple question of when the Fatimids should be a tributary of the Kingdom of Jerusalem, I would also like to add that you should also consider gameplay impact of said tributary status. Does it make sense for the Fatimids to call for KoJ help when attacked (and vice versa)? Also, was the financial agreement between the two realms as regular and semi-permanent as CK2's tributary relation would suggest?

If tributary relationship leads to historically implausible situation, tributary relationship is not worth it IMO.
Think it had to do with Crusaders fucking up Fatamids and forcing them to pay money in exchange for peace, or just Fatamids giving money rather than risk protracted warfare and another crusade. Crusaders paid them money for peace sometimes as well

I've been playing with this mod activated for a little while now, and I've noticed that the "martially trained slaves" tend to be extremely good. Maybe a bit too good?

I've been playing with this mod activated for a little while now, and I've noticed that the "martially trained slaves" tend to be extremely good. Maybe a bit too good?

Yes balancing, stats etc in general for all things is something to feedback on since I've been fairly arbitrary with them. The only central aim for me is to have distinguishing between the various types of slave commander whether it's effectiveness or bonus types.

For instance whatever their stats, I'd say the Bahri or Burji groups should be noticeably improved over other contemporary mamluk types. During their heyday, the entirety of the Egyptian state was geared towards sustaining that military system. Just about every reading on the subject I have mentions this difference and their noticeable professionalism.

There is a lot that could be done with the Varangians and I'm thinking of doing a Janissary trait /system too.

Yes balancing, stats etc in general for all things is something to feedback on since I've been fairly arbitrary with them. The only central aim for me is to have distinguishing between the various types of slave commander whether it's effectiveness or bonus types.

For instance whatever their stats, I'd say the Bahri or Burji groups should be noticeably improved over other contemporary mamluk types. During their heyday, the entirety of the Egyptian state was geared towards sustaining that military system. Just about every reading on the subject I have mentions this difference and their noticeable professionalism.

There is a lot that could be done with the Varangians and I'm thinking of doing a Janissary trait /system too.

That would be really nice. Can't wait for your new additions!
Cheers!

Introduction

In a nutshell this mod adds basic mechanics for relevant Islamic rulers to recruit slave (mamluk, ghulam, etc) commanders and armies. The aim is to represent as much as possible some of the military slave systems which were so integral to many medieval Islamic powers.

It also aims to add many more Egyptian and Indian based historical mamluk and so called mamluk rulers. There will also be attempts to expand Golden Horde and Ilkhanate game play in particular when it relates to Mamluk Egypt.

I've added it here just to see what if anything people think. I'm still working on it but all the basic stuff functions.

What's included?

Recruit different types of slave commanders

A realm decision which does exactly as it says. They will have a significant loyalty boost for life to their patron and can be assigned as landed non-hereditary rulers in your realm. There are basic events and decisions for them to request hereditary rights from their liege.

On recruitment they convert to their liege culture but obviously keep their ethnicity. The only exception being Bahri and Burji mamluks whom will always convert to the Egyptian culture. Slave commanders will also have an event fire which assigns them a name from an assorted list.

Available for Muslim duke tier and above feudal rulers with at least level 2 keeps or castle towns in their capital.

These requirements will change or become more dynamic as I just needed a basic scope for availability. There are many ways to improve this involving trade routes, laws, technology, religious/cultural spreads etc.

Realms with European territories can recruit Saqaliba.
Well known Slavic or European military and bureaucratic slaves widely used in Andalusia for instance. In game I've drawn them from Balkan cultures bordering the Adriatic.

Available automatically for the holder of k_andalusia.

Realms in African lands can recruit Abid al-Shira.
Black soldiers extensively used by the Fatimids.

Currently anachronistically available for all African territories. I am currently working out how to limit this via geographic regions. North and West African realms have another historically based type to recruit which I will add later.

I have selected their culture as from within the west African group as oppsed to the often assumed Nubian. From what I can tell the sub-Saharan gene flow into Egypt since Islam arrived has been from west or central African areas. It seem logical the slaves provided to northern powers came from cultures therein. Terms such as Nubian can often just be a catch all term to describe anybody south of Egypt.

Nubians and North Sudanese are and were back then an Afro-Asiatic speaking group whom would have raided and traded for slaves beyond their borders to meet the insatiable demand. The same especially goes for Ethiopian/Abyssinian 'Habesha' groups represented in the game.

Realms in Egypt, Syria and Anatolia can recruit Greek/Armenian ghulams
Currently restricted to pre-Mongol Empire unification periods. I'm working on making their availability more dynamic. Perhaps tied to how Islamised the whole of Anatolia has become.

Realms in or east of Mesopotamia can recruit Turkic ghulams

As above, restricted to pre-Mongol empire periods and meant to represent earlier ghulams from Oghuz and other hitherto mostly non-Muslim regions.

Available automatically for the holder of e_arabia.

Post Mongol arrival they are replaced with Cuman ghulams.

Bahri Mamluks
After the Mongols kick off, these become available only for the ruler of Egypt and any of his vassals themselves Bahris or of Bahri mamluk descent. There will be more detail for this involving events etc but currently it just happens. These will be Cuman.

Burji Mamluks
As above except any vassals need to themselves be either descended from or Burji mamluks themselves. Currently their availability is also tied to how Islamised the Steppes have become. These will hail from the Caucasus.

Rulers with lands spanning mulitple regions can recruit whatever slave commander type is available. The only restrictions being of course for Bahri or Burji types.

Slave Armies

This is currently very basic in every way so naturally the aim is to improve this feature massively.

Using a slave commander, independent king-tier + rulers can raise slave armies as mercenary vassals. Three types are Saqaliba, Abid Guard and Mamluk Kassakiya. Only one of each type can be raised. Their numbers can be added to, company disbanded etc.

Availability is currently based on castle town or keep size being at least level two.

The slave company can rebel either in response to the commander being replaced or as an aggressive declaration against a disliked liege.

Thanks to the Standing Armies mod ( not on this site anymore?) creator for this idea.

Historic rulers

This is what is taking so long. Currently mapping out and adding historic mamluk emirs to Egypt. I have easy to use sources on Syria during the Qalawun to an-Nasir periods.

Egypt during this period and earlier is much harder as I'm having to jump across or cross reference multiple ones at a time.

Once I'm done with Egypt I will start on the Delhi Sultanate of which I have a large amount of detail thankfully.

Also adding family members, spouses, historic courtiers etc. Too many to go through but I try to leave notes in the character files for anybody interested. Currently added just over 40 characters for Egypt.

Other tweaks

These are also basic and will be massively improved on. Just needed to see if they work.

# Added a decision for the post Hulegu Ilkhanate to spawn a large cavalry force up to 1303. The Ilkhanate quickly collapses every play through for Hulegu's successors. Particularly the non-Muslim ones owing to massive independence factions. Needless to day the Ilkhans frequently posed a mortal threat to Mamluk Egypt until 1303 so this helps immersion. There is historical basis for this as the Ilkhans still often functioned in a nomadic fashion right into the 14th century. It would be clearly wrong to turn them nomadic as per CK2 mechanics but this certainly helps with some representation.
The huge mounted armies they took into Syria were extensively made up of still nomadic or semi nomadic Mongol.

# Similar albeit less numerous force for the Golden Horde. In this case for the post Batu event troop period of Berke onward so he can be a rival for Hulegu and his vast horde. The Golden Horde/Ilkhan conflict was a significant factor in the Ilkhans having to sometimes withdraw from conflict with the Mamluks.

# Emirate of Crete, Almoravid and early Ottoman troop raising decisions.

# Janissary & Kapikulu vassals. These are more placeholders for what I plan on being a more immersive Ottoman military.

# Ghilman and Mamluk vassals can be led by a slave commander. As above, a placeholder tweak while I hope to make these two vassals more dynamic and involved.

# Numerous historical character stat changes based as much as possible on what sources illustrate.

Requirements: 2018-06-21 (Hydra6)

I have the full HIP installed as below

[HIP Release 2018-06-21 (Hydra6)]
EMF: Extended Mechanics & Flavor (v8.06 - 2018-06-21)
Arumba and Internal Tab Shortcuts (2018-06-16)
ARKO Interface (2018-06-16)
SWMH (v3.12 - 2018-06-21)
ARKO Armoiries (2018-06-16)
LTM (C - 2017-12-09)
CPRplus (v2.9.4 - 2018-05-02)

As far as DLC is concerned I have everything except the Aztec one.

Install as you would any mod.

Place both the MOD.file and the TMM Basics folder in your CK2 mod folder area.

Recommended!

# So far I can see this goes really well with Erilaz's Call to Arms sub mod.

The importance of slave armies is significant when you don't directly control or raise your vassal's levies and are entirely dependent on them simply deciding to aid you. Extremely historical.

Thanks to Aasmul and the HIP team

As well as elvain's below thread which I think helps greatly with the mechanics of how to represent much of this idea in game.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...nd-enhanced-islam.905195/page-2#post-20617714

Would you ever consider making a Timur-Mod? Since there are not many people interested that much into Central Asia I thought you might be willing to give it a try since you seem very dedicated. I could do a lot filling in Historical characters but I am not that versed in direct modding.