• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Reworked Norse culture split (17-09-18)
All right. I've been feeling extra industrious lately (or I've just been procrastinating), so I finally achieved one of my big goals: a new set of Scandinavian cultures!

Don't even ask how long it took (especially adding entries for landed_titles localisation) and how stiff my neck is...

The East Norse cultures (Danish, Swedish, Geatish, and Gutnish) will split off in the 10th century, all except Gutnish later developing into younger forms. Norwegian splits off in the 11th century, while Iceland and other West Norse areas in the Atlantic will remain the same.

Culture name: Language (Language sources) ~ Year

Norrœnn: Old Norse (Early Icel. texts/Reconstructed)

- Danskr: Old East Norse (Runic/Reconstructed) ~ 900
--> Dansk: Old Danish (Skånske/Jyske Lov) ~ 1100​

- Svænskr: Old East Norse (Runic/Reconstructed) ~ 900
--> Svænskær: Old Swedish (Västgötalagen/Erikskrönikan) ~ 1100
- Gøzkr: Old East Norse (Runic/Reconstructed) ~ 900
--> Gøzkær: Old Swedish (Västgötalagen) ~ 1100
- Gutniscr: Old Gutnish (Gutalagen) ~ 900

- Norrønn: Old Norwegian (Gulatingsloven) ~ 1000
Changelog:
17-09-18
Base:
- Four new cultures derived from the Norse: Svænskr (will later develop into Svænskær, i.e. Swedish), Gøzkr (later Gøzkær, i.e. Geatish), Danskr (later Dansk, i.e. Danish), and Gutniscr (Gutnish). The early East Norse cultures start to appear in the year 900, and will use Old East Norse as a base (post-monophthongization), except Gutniscr which is entirely distinct. The later (Swedish, Geatish, and Danish) ones start to appear around 1100, and will use Old Swedish and Old Danish (though character names are WIP, so they remain modern Swedish and Danish for now).
- The Norwegian culture is now called "Norrønn" and uses Old Norwegian (much closer to Old Norse/Icelandic than modern Norwegian), it starts to separate from Norse (Norrœn) around the year 1000 (usually after the death of Canute the Great if you start in 1018).
- Character and province history-files as well as title localisation overhauled to reflect the above changes.
- Asbjørn, the brother of Svend Estridsen, now holds the titular Jarldom of Denmark in 1066 (he was styled "Eydanajarl").
- Thrugot is now Jarl of Jutland again in 1066 (he is sometimes described as "hirðjarl" to Svend Estridsen).
- The Jarldom of Sjælland is now distributed amongst the sons of Svend Estridsen after his death, as described by Knýtlinga saga.
- Lettigallian culture renamed "Letu" (as suggested by Herr Doctor).
- Other minor changes and corrections.

NHO Base

Features:
  • New Norse-derived Scandinavian cultures: Danskr, Svænskr, and Gøzkr, (these three will split off in the early 10th century and use late Old East Norse language; developing into younger versions using Old Danish and Old Swedish in the 12th century). Gutniscr (using Old Gutnish) will appear on the island of Gotland in the 10th century, and Norrønn (using Old Norwegian) will split off from Norse in the 11th century.
  • Reworked Norse and Norse-derived (including melting-pot) character and dynasty names as well as noble and landed title localisation.
  • Changes and corrections to the title and character setup in the Scandinavian kingdoms.
  • New or tweaked names and localisation for neighbouring cultures (Anglo-Saxon, Celtic, Balto-Slavic, and Finno-Ugric), including an effort to replace all remaining "High Chiefs".
  • Revision of the Rus setup, with a new Polotsk cadet branch of the Rurikids, revised succession laws for Kiev, and fixes to the Novgorod Republic, etc.
  • Tweaked Norse-Gaelic and Anglo-Danish melting-pots.
  • Other minor changes that enhance the experience when playing within the Norse sphere of influence.
Requirements:
CK2 2.8.3.2, HIP Hydra6 (SWMH or MiniSWMH required)

Download:
Direct
(17-09-18)

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Speechless. You've been very industrious indeed mate.
And I thought I could play a bit of Total War today. :p Now to check what to com-patch for the Cultural bonuses submod.

The new cultures in the culture file are rune (danish,gothic,swedishl) and Gutnish right ? So I'll just need to add bonuses to the 4 of them, I guess.

Cheers and many thanks for the update.

Last edited:
Speechless. You've been very industrious indeed mate.
Cheers and many thanks for the update.

Cheers!

And I thought I could play a bit of Total War today. :p Now to check what to com-patch for the Cultural bonuses submod.

The new cultures in the culture file are rune (danish,gothic,swedishl) and Gutnish right ? So I'll just need to add bonuses to the 4 of them, I guess.

Yeah, they are "runedanish", "runeswedish", "runegothic", and "gutnish". All under the "north_germanic" culture group of course.

Cheers!
Yeah, they are "runedanish", "runeswedish", "runegothic", and "gutnish". All under the "north_germanic" culture group of course.

Done. It was a 1 min editing. :)

PS
I gave them mixed bonuses prev( danish,swedish,gothic,gutnish) plus a combo of them.

Finally! Testing it now.

Also, it's a bit confusing: Divine says that we need to opt into a beta, but the patch thread has been updated with the fix.

Yeah. I can't test it atm though. Is 2.8.3.4 released already ?

Yeah. I can't test it atm though. Is 2.8.3.4 released already ?

I can confirm that it works when you're using the beta version, but not on the current default one. I assume they intend to get it into the current version soon.

I can confirm that it works when you're using the beta version, but not on the current default one. I assume they intend to get it into the current version soon.
The current one is 2.8.3.3 right ? I guess they'll add it in the 2.8.3.4 as the thread suggests.

So, with AI raiding working again, there's an issue that needs to be settled: whether the likes of the Estonians and Wends should be allowed to do seaborne raids. The issue is that these cultures will raid too far away compared to what they did historically (they were known to raid Danish and Swedish shores, but certainly not English for example).

The current NHO Base version allows it, unlike regular HIP (with EMF), but I'm a bit torn in this question. Anyone else have an opinion about this?

If you don't want them to do seaborne raids, you can go into the NHO Base folder and delete this file: "...\mod\NHO Base\common\cultures\zz_emfswmh_cultures.txt"

Last edited:
So, with AI raiding working again, there's an issue that needs to be settled: whether the likes of the Estonians and Wends should be allowed to do seaborne raids. The issue is that these cultures will raid too far away compared to what they did historically (they were known to raid Danish and Swedish shores, but certainly not English for example).

The current NHO Base version allows it, unlike regular HIP (with EMF), but I'm a bit torn in this question. Anyone else have an opinion about this?

If you don't want them to do seaborne raids, you can go into the NHO Base folder and delete this file: "...\mod\NHO Base\common\cultures\zz_emfswmh_cultures.txt"

Personally I feel like the negative of having Wends and Esonian's raiding Western Europe, the Muslim World and Byzantium outweigh the positives of allowing them to raid scandinavia. Would be great if we could put a maximum distance on raiding but without that ability I think Paradox had it right.

Personally I feel like the negative of having Wends and Esonian's raiding Western Europe, the Muslim World and Byzantium outweigh the positives of allowing them to raid scandinavia. Would be great if we could put a maximum distance on raiding but without that ability I think Paradox had it right.

That's my current stance now as well, and having seen where they raid both in the early bookmark and 1066, I'm even more convinced, since they still seem to raid England even though the Scandinavian kingdoms are Christian and feudal.

Another issue is the fact that Christian Norse and Norse-Gaelic characters (e.g. in Ireland, Iceland, and the Faeroe Islands) are allowed to raid due to culture, and will therefore go raiding in North Africa when the closest "infidels" are the Muslims in the later game (when there's still pagans on the Baltic coast, they'll go there as well, which is equally silly). I'm even leaning towards removing the ability to raid through culture for most cultures (excluding the Muslim North Africans, Berbers etc., since they won't get the ability from religion or government type). That would mean that you'd have to be either pagan or tribal to raid.

I'm still considering this, so any input is welcome.

Also, for the next update I may open up seaborne raids for Englisc (Anglo-Danish) and Norman characters in case we see tribals or pagans of these cultures.

I'm not sure about it, since I don't mind the raiding ''Ahistorical'' outcomes. I'd prefer more raids just for the extra challenge. Sometimes I even play with Unrestricted raiding on. :cool:

Edit: I'm thinking to start a new game using your Banners submod bundled with
Turks,Mongols & Mamluks one. Any tips ?

Cheers.

In terms of the Call to Arms submod, it's good to know that when you're independent (and liege of at least one count), when you go to war (and have to call to arms), you won't be able to get troops from your direct baron vassals, which is the biggest down side of the mod. This also means that you're better off directly owning your castles or having them under a count/duke vassal to get the troops, and that having high tax focus is preferable for especially city and church vassals (to some degree also feudal vassals).

So it makes the game harder ? I would prefer that, since I'm thinking using it for a more difficult experience. How much it will change my usual game?

Last edited:
So it makes the game harder ? I would prefer that, since I'm thinking using it for a more difficult experience. How much it will change my usual game?
Not necessarily harder, but different, and sometimes harder to manage.

Not necessarily harder, but different, and sometimes harder to manage.

Since you have spent time creating if for us, I'll give it a go. ;)

Since you have spent time creating if for us, I'll give it a go. ;)

I'd love to hear your opinions about it when you've played with it for a while.

---

I currently have a few ideas what I want to work on next: Firstly I want to revise Norman names ("Willelme" rather than "William" etc.) for which I have a nice and handy source. Secondly I want to have a look at the state of early Russia, involving a new melting-pot, though that is quite time consuming, so there's no knowing when it'll materialise.

Other than that, I've made a few minor changes and additions, most notably the change to raiding mentioned above, but also some additional early Icelandic characters (including an Easter egg... something about heavy knives and ravens flying). I might release a small patch soon, before starting work on any major new aspect.

I currently have a few ideas what I want to work on next: Firstly I want to revise Norman names ("Willelme" rather than "William" etc.) for which I have a nice and handy source. Secondly I want to have a look at the state of early Russia, involving a new melting-pot, though that is quite time consuming, so there's no knowing when it'll materialise..
Sounds very interesting. Keep it up.

I'd love to hear your opinions about it when you've played with it for a while.

Will do buddy. As soon as I get the chance. ;)

I currently have a few ideas what I want to work on next: Firstly I want to revise Norman names ("Willelme" rather than "William" etc.) for which I have a nice and handy source. Secondly I want to have a look at the state of early Russia, involving a new melting-pot, though that is quite time consuming, so there's no knowing when it'll materialise.

Other than that, I've made a few minor changes and additions, most notably the change to raiding mentioned above, but also some additional early Icelandic characters (including an Easter egg... something about heavy knives and ravens flying). I might release a small patch soon, before starting work on any major new aspect.

Excellent. I especially like the possible Norman changes, since I play with them quite a lot.