• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
IMO, the Severn (e.g. Gloucester), the Great Ouse (e.g. King's Lynn), the Thames (e.g. London), the Ouse/Humber (e.g. Hull), the Trent, the Wye, and the Nene all have a fairly strong arguments to be navigable rivers up to a certain point (in that they had fairly large docks for open-sea ships of the late Middle Ages at some distance inland via means of the river). England is pretty exceptional in terms of naturally navigable major waterways even by European standards. If that's too long a list, you could probably cut off the Trent (just use the Humber estuary), as well as the Wye and the Nene, but the other four really were like superhighways of the era.

Reactions:
I've seen muslims gain +opinion when being decendant of Prophet Muhammed or his relatives. Norse pagans fabricated often that they where decandant of gods like Odin or Yngve-Frøy to legitimize their rule. Could this be something for this mod?

That would be possible perhaps, though I've not fiddled much with traits before. I believe I've seen something like this in one of the earliest Norse-oriented mods of CK2 back many years ago.

I actually intend to expand some more old Norse houses. I've only done some work on the Scyldings, but I'm going to look at expanding the Ynglings and perhaps some other ones along with a couple of expansions for the Anglo-Saxon royal dynasties (Iclingas for example).

If you going looking at the Ynglings note that Haraldr Fairhair (Hárfagri) uncle Olafr was petty king in Vestfold not Raumariki. Historians can't be sure if Harald inherit Vestfold from his cousin. However Harald ruled Sogn in 860 with help from his uncle Guttorm (acording the sagas). Same year Harald beat a rebelion and a attack from Gandalfr in Vingulmork and seized it along with the entire Upplands. 863 Harald entered Trøndalg making Håkon Jarl (ruled Trøndelag and Hålogaland, except Naumdalr wich where rules by the brothers Herlaug and Rollaug) Allied and married her daughter. Note there are two of the same Ragnvaldr Mørejarl in the game, one in Trøndelag (which is not the historical place he ruled) and one son of Øystein Glumri who rules Hringriki and Gudbranddalr (reality his father Glumri ruled Heidmørk and Dag in Heidmørk ruled Hringriki). After Håkon Harald subjugated Hålogaland and killed the petty kings of Nordmære and Raumdalr in 863-865.

Reactions:
I wasn't aware that the early Norwegian setup was so wrong. I'll try to look into it and see what I can do. When I said I'd have a look at the Ynglings, I actually meant an expansion of the ancestral line (though what you suggest would be more useful of course).

Thank you for listening. Btw Harald was married to sevral wifes at the same time, so i would have let Fairhair be unmarried and have the option to choose wich one. Hring (reative to Fairhair mother if I'm not mistaken) father of Åshild, Øystein Glumri (special ancestours) father of Ragnvaldr, Sigurd and Svanhildr. Håkon Jarl (special ancestours) father of Grjotgard, Herlaug, (both slain in battle) Åsa and Sigurd and later another. Eirik of Hordaland father Gyda. Skaldekvad mention he have 9 wifes (of Norwegian nobles) before marrying Ragnhild mother of Eirikr Blodøks. Another thing Haralds uncle is older than his father. And Harald was known as Opplands Konung and not Viken.

Reactions:
UPDATE - Version 0.98

- Introduced title localisation to all Balto-Slavic and Finno-Ugric cultures. No More "High Chiefs"!
- Restricted the creation of most duchies in Denmark and Sweden (as well as the Faroe- and Channel Islands) in order to prevent the unhistorical spam.
- Reworked the Swedish-Geatish culture emergence once again.
- Added and modified certain landed titles and their localisation.
- Changed a few culture colours to better match their culture group etc.
- Patched various title localisation in northern and eastern Europe.
- Added place-holder dynasties for cultures without any in order to prevent the generic "Smiths".
- Various other changes and tweaks to existing features.

A new game is not required, but recommended.*

* You may have to delete the gfx folder under "Documents\Paradox Interactive\Crusader Kings II\HIP (2.3.6)" for all CoA to show correctly.

Full download

Advanced:

Mod only

Patch (1)

(1) For upgrading previous "full download" versions 0.7 --> 0.98

It currently runs on a stable and very good version for CK2 v. 2.3.6, however, when I reach 1.0 I will eventually make an effort to port it to the newest version (but I will not do it if that is a version for a CK2 with as many flaws as the current one - broken alliances, unbalanced Conclave, etc.).

Last edited:
I'm flattered ^^

Well, I have one last patch planned for the 2.3.6 version. After that, all my modding-time will be spent on getting my features into the newest version. Hopefully we'll see a CK2- and a subsequent HIP patch that fixes some of the more glaring issues of the current version. When that happens my porting will most likely follow shortly thereafter.

It might be worth trying whether the newest version is even working in multiplayer; I haven't tried that, but I know for a fact that NHO on 2.3.6 runs pretty well in multiplayer in case you want to try it out.

Reactions:
The latest HIP works in multiplayer. I'm in a group that has been playing with it.

The only reported issue to my knowledge is that the battle duel engine does not work properly during multiplayer sessions. I believe it has been deactivated by the HIP team for multiplayer sessions as a result.

Rorik and his brother Harald of Frisa should have a claim on Danmark (Jylland and Slesvig), since he is probably of Harald Klaks family. Harald Klak and and his brothers (one of them probably father of Rorik and Harald) where able to usurp Slesvig-Jylland after the death of Konung Gudrød. Thou could not last when the sons of Gudrød led by Horik returned.

Is there any potential that skalds could affect the liege prestige? Because in the viking age skalds used to creat great poems about how great their liege is, or create a bad image of them.
Well, there's no special Norse 'skald' to my knowledge, but I suppose it's very similar to some Vanilla events. I'm not convinced it would add very much to make a unique event for this - also since I'm no expert when it comes to modding regular events.
Rorik and his brother Harald of Frisa should have a claim on Danmark (Jylland and Slesvig), since he is probably of Harald Klaks family. Harald Klak and and his brothers (one of them probably father of Rorik and Harald) where able to usurp Slesvig-Jylland after the death of Konung Gudrød. Thou could not last when the sons of Gudrød led by Horik returned.
I suppose so, it's all very shady, and I haven't touched these characters much (except for separating Strút-Haraldr and his sons from the house of Hilditönn, since that connection is unlikely). I might give this whole business a slight overhaul at some point, but it's not a priority currently.

Love it. I hope it would soon be directly integrated in HIP.
Yeah, this is a historical submod, and it doesn't make anything worse, so there is no reason for it not to be in the mod.
I don't get the feeling that the HIP team wants to directly integrate features from my mod. They have made some similar changes (such as the addition of the "Englisc" culture), but that's as far as it gets currently. I suppose it would be an arduous task for them to integrate some features from my mod since many of my changes are hidden in the vastness of text-files, and they have no means to know where to look. Some parts, especially some later additions like the Icelandic Republic are pretty well separated, and could easily be extracted (only a few minor changes to already existing characters). On the other hand, I haven't received very much good will from the team due to, I assume, some disagreements about the direction of the mod and CK2. I can only assume that, if indeed they want to head in the direction I've laid out here, they want to do so on their own, and in their own time - even though I would be quite willing to help make these things take shape.

PS. Progress is currently at a halt. I have made some changes a while ago, but not enough to warrant a new version, and I want the next release to be worthy of a 1.0. I'll resume eventually.

Last edited: