• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Snorri Sturluson, indeed. ;)

EDIT: Check out the in-game family trees of the major clans if you're interested: https://imgur.com/a/DAiaH

Last edited:
UPDATE - Version 0.95

- The Icelandic Republic is now in the game with all the major clans of the age and 160+ new characters!
- The Norse dynasties have been overhauled once more.
- Norse place names now predominantly use the dative form.
- The Norse faith is now called "Heiðinn", and "Ásatrú" is reserved for the reformed faith.
- The "Fylkirate" is now called "Ásatrúarveldið" (The Dominion of the Ásatrú).
- Restored and fixed the line of the Scyldings.
- Fixed some errors in the Anglo-Saxon history files.
- Various other changes and tweaks to existing features.

A new game is not required, but is recommended so the new features take effect.

Full download

Advanced:

Mod only

Patch (1)

(1) For upgrading previous "full download" versions 0.7 --> 0.95

HOTFIX - Version 0.95

- Fixed an issue where Icelandic baronies and bishoprics were assigned to random characters instead of the ones listed in the titles history (due to flawed mechanics that only allow full title history for holdings that have existed since the 867 start).
- Corrected a few Norse place names.

A new game is not required.

Hotfix for "full download"

Advanced:

Hotfix for "mod only"

EDIT: I also forgot to include credits for some resources that I used for the Icelandic Republic. Thank you to Teutonic_Trash for allowing me to use his mod as a base to work from!

Last edited:
There is no list, but the relevant files are in the "events" folder, and most of the components in my new melting-pots are in "NHO_culture".

I'd say pretty much none of the cultures have "full" localisation for Britain yet.

Does this primarily have a focus on the Danes or are Norway and Sweden also part of the focus? I k now it's titled Norse Heritage but you mention that the Anglo-Dane culture will be added. Will this be prepared to handle a rising of an Anglo-Norwegian or an Anglo-Swede culture, hypothetically, in scenarios where other Scandinavian countries melt into what will become modern day England?

It focuses on all the Norse cultures, including Norwegian and Swedish (though the more modern cultures haven't received much love yet in terms of localisation). The Anglo-Danish culture also applies to the other Scandinavian cultures, and it doesn't conflict since the term "Dene" was mostly used by the Anglo-Saxons for all Norse people. There are two Norse-British melting pots: Anglo-Danish and Norse-Gaelic.

No, I have not yet begun the process of porting it to the latest version, and I've yet to decide whether to do it for the current one or wait a while yet. It also all depends how much time I have.

There are obviously quite a few things that are missing when you're running with an old version of HIP, but if you're not overly fuzzed about the Conclave and Horse Lords DLCs, and you don't mind playing without the most recent changes to EMF, I'd say, if you're interested in the areas that I've touched upon, it'd be worth a try.

In other news, the Anglo-Danish melting pot has now been included in the newest version of HIP (though slightly different from mine obviously). I'm going to try it out, and perhaps I can provide some feedback to the team in view of my own extensive testing.

EDIT: Well, damned, I can't run the newest version alone in multiplayer, so I can't make a fast run through as I usually do... Is there any other way to spectate a game without having to click away all the events all the time?

Last edited:
EDIT: Well, damned, I can't run the newest version alone in multiplayer, so I can't make a fast run through as I usually do... Is there any other way to spectate a game without having to click away all the events all the time?

You should be able to use the observe command in the console to watch the game play itself.

Reactions:
It seems to be working fine, and the code is quite a bit simpler than mine. I wonder, how did you do away with the culture and religion conversion of a random country upon a successful invasion? It was one of the reasons my code became so intricate.

Another thing that's been pestering me is how to make a new republic appear as such in the selection screen (and the in-game history); so it shows Utlande's leader as "Grand Mayor" rather than "Jarl", and Iceland's leader as "Lögsögumaðr" rather than "Konungr". It seems it has been solved in the newest version of HIP, but I can't find the relevant files.

Lastly, I've been wondering whether there's an easy way to include a port in the province of York. It's quite stupid, I think, that it doesn't have any, and if I knew how to modify the map, one or two of the major rivers in England would be navigable just like in Germany and France.

It seems to be working fine, and the code is quite a bit simpler than mine. I wonder, how did you do away with the culture and religion conversion of a random country upon a successful invasion? It was one of the reasons my code became so intricate.

Another thing that's been pestering me is how to make a new republic appear as such in the selection screen (and the in-game history); so it shows Utlande's leader as "Grand Mayor" rather than "Jarl", and Iceland's leader as "Lögsögumaðr" rather than "Konungr". It seems it has been solved in the newest version of HIP, but I can't find the relevant files.

Lastly, I've been wondering whether there's an easy way to include a port in the province of York. It's quite stupid, I think, that it doesn't have any, and if I knew how to modify the map, one or two of the major rivers in England would be navigable just like in Germany and France.

The culture and religious conversion is still there, but I'm wanting to replace or at least add to it with a more deliberate decision to actually colonise the Danelaw rather than leave it up to the shadowy culture conversion events. That should enable Jorvik to be more viable for a few decades. Odd though that the conversion event hasn't fired on yours though.

With the titles are they set via the localisation csv files or did you change them on the landed_titles.txt?

Re: the port at York, that'd require some map modding to make the Ouse a navigable river, which could happen.

EDIT - Sorry it's taken me an age to get back to you!

No worries, I didn't mean to pour so many questions out at once, and I didn't expect you to answer them all; but I just presented my current problems if anyone wanted to help me out.

The culture/religion conversion is still in? Odd. Well, at least you've removed the Norse culture from Yorkshire in 867, and I suppose it didn't pop up elsewhere since the other invasions failed. There must have been some changes to the initial invasion, I'm pretty sure I didn't see the Lothian invasion for example... Some tweaks to the feature would be interesting indeed, but I'm not even sure what triggers it and what files to edit.

Well, the problem isn't so much with the titles themselves, but that the game doesn't recognise Iceland (nor Utlande) as a republic before loading the game (it isn't included in the republic selection in the startup screen, nor are previous rulers recognised as heads of a republic). This seems to've been solved with the new HIP republics, but I don't know how.

Yes, I really think York should have a port; I guess I'll have to learn how to edit the map.

UPDATE - Version 0.96

- York now has a port.
- Tweaks to the melting pots, especially the Scottish one.
- Various other changes and tweaks to existing features.

A new game is not required.

Full download

Advanced:

Mod only

Patch (1)

(1) For upgrading previous "full download" versions 0.7 --> 0.96

EDIT: Screenshots updated.

Last edited:
It's not yet been ported to the latest version of HIP. You can, however, still play it by downloading the "Full download" which includes everything that's needed.

That said, I'm reaching a point where I'm very close to version 1.0, and with that comes the much greater chance of a porting-effort. I'm currently working on the last features I had planned (some love for Balto-Slavic and Finno-Ugric localisation), and a last effort to balance, find bugs, and quench the last vanilla localisation leftovers.

Since I had to get into modding the map for the first time I went with a more simple solution. Instead of making Ouse navigable, I simply redrew the province borders and made a port at the Humber estuary. It'd be no problem to port it to a newer version.