• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I'm not sure, you'd still have the same CB available. I think, if you want a challenge, give the AI some extra powers; crank up the difficulty and give characters like Harald Fairhair and other successful figures "lucky ruler". Another thing, also, it's pretty easy to gather a lot of land as one character, but when your character dies, it's quite a lot hard to keep hold of it all.

It is true, HIP isn't what you'd call a hardcore mod, it doesn't significantly increase the difficulty, you have to challenge yourself in various ways. Try starting as a count-tier vassal like Blekinge or another small county.

I'd say one of the few things I find myself missing from newer versions of CK2 when using this mod is the ability to have tributaries, and maybe the tribal map mode. Other than that it doesn't really bother me that I'm playing 2.3.6.

Reactions:
What features, exactly, are you missing from the more recent versions?

There are features in the 2.3.6. version that have been removed in later versions; such as Irish and Scottish provinces and NBRT (that makes the map much more beautiful). From what I've seen, the newer versions do not add any significant improvements to a game focused on North-West Europe (which is my area of interest), except for the HRE culture split, which I've already included in NHO.

There are quite a few features missing, and yes they did take away from the area concerning this mod. They needed to remove those provinces, it was a little too much compared to the rest of the map. I don't see why the province change would keep you from updating other than personal taste. I spent money on the new expansions and I want to use them. Without updating, it's less of a sub-mod and more like a personal mod, which is cool. It's your mod.

You're right, most of what I'm doing is about personal taste as well as a pedantic attention to small details that interest me.

What features, exactly, are you missing from the more recent versions?

There are features in the 2.3.6. version that have been removed in later versions; such as Irish and Scottish provinces and NBRT (that makes the map much more beautiful). From what I've seen, the newer versions do not add any significant improvements to a game focused on North-West Europe (which is my area of interest), except for the HRE culture split, which I've already included in NHO.

To name a few differences, and only really speaking of stuff directly affecting my most focused sphere with HIP:

- Horse Lords compatibility (which is about a lot more than nomads)
- Conclave compatibility (tons of improvements to gameplay depth, diplomacy, warfare, laws, a better feudal model, etc.)
- All the new features and fixes (vanilla and otherwise) and evolution of EMF from almost a year of development [I'd mention SWMH, but you seem to only care that northwestern europe is on the map, to be frank.]
- All the new features and fixes and enhancements done to vanilla itself through 2 major patches
- Compatibility with LTM, likely to become bundled w/ HIP (though that's still pending a vote) too, so definitely back to beautiful SWMH map terrain textures and graphical shaders
- The ability for you to rely upon the HIP team to be able to help sort out bugs into which you run, since the code would be common

... and so much more.

Let me be frank, and please remember that I intend no insult whatsoever:

One ought look at the process of compatching with the latest HIP (just as we constantly compatch with the latest vanilla) as productive: you're actively removing bugs and suboptimal behavior from your sub-mod, and you're actively adding to your mod's content.

TBH, I find your mod ideas interesting, but since you do not do these things, there's no way in hell I'd currently waste my time playing stuff that is officially in the way-outdated category. I'm not going to enjoy what I've actively spent so much time improving far beyond. This is especially true because updating your topic-specific sub-mod to the latest HIP is a lot easier than compatching to the latest vanilla patches and fixing them (which we are doing for you if you'd only accept), as that sort of attitude regarding providing the most enjoyable and polished experience for players that you can is a very ill indicator indeed of the quality to be expected.

But that is just my personal opinion.

I'm not sure, you'd still have the same CB available. I think, if you want a challenge, give the AI some extra powers; crank up the difficulty and give characters like Harald Fairhair and other successful figures "lucky ruler". Another thing, also, it's pretty easy to gather a lot of land as one character, but when your character dies, it's quite a lot hard to keep hold of it all.

Almost all of the changes in EMF since 2.3.6 have been focused upon making the game far more challenging and high-stakes. If you want a challenge, don't play EMF from almost a year ago, but play a recent version.

It is true, HIP isn't what you'd call a hardcore mod, it doesn't significantly increase the difficulty, you have to challenge yourself in various ways. Try starting as a count-tier vassal like Blekinge or another small county.

Turning-up the difficulty will do essentially nothing on that old version of EMF, in contrast to recent versions.

Reactions:
I'm interested in the content and have been awhile, but I really don't want to go back to that version. Like Zijistark said, HIP itself has changed a lot, but the Vanilla game even more.

@zijistark: You are right, of course, and I understand why you more than anyone else would think the version I'm using is outdated; since the additions and changes that you've made over more than half a year are the the most game-changing ones. But please understand my current stance: I am not interested in keeping this submod up to date with the newest version of CK2 and HIP at all times - for the simple reason that I don't have time for it. When the HIP team releases a positively stunning and unavoidable update (and this on a CK2 version that is stable and will receive a permanent roll-back option), then I will, if time permits, port all my features to such a version.

Yes, I hope that you, HIP developers, are not offended by what I'm saying here; I'm not trying to undermine all the hard work you are doing. It is just like you say; I need to keep things focused and not try to do all at once - If I tried to keep this submod up to date with the most recent version of HIP [and CK2], all my time would be spent making it compatible and porting old features, making me unable to add new features, or polish and perfect existing ones. First I'd be dependent of Paradox and their whims, just like HIP's developers, and then I'd have to wait for HIP to release to be able to start patching my own work. It's just not a sustainable situation.

Why not to integrate this mod into HIP/SWMH? I believe the changes are really brilliant and improve the historical aspect of the northwestern part of Europe a lot. So, you won't need to bother updating them separately all the time.

Reactions:
Why not to integrate this mod into HIP/SWMH? I believe the changes are really brilliant and improve the historical aspect of the northwestern part of Europe a lot. So, you won't need to bother updating them separately all the time.

Well for the obvious reason that Erilaz is using an outdated version of SWMH, that includes quite a few provinces that we (the SWMH team) have decided to cut out of SWMH

Woodyman has been brought on to SWMH team in order to improve on the heavily Vanilla title history and Culture setup of the British Isles. He might shift some provinces around as well and change the de-jure title history, but the number of provinces will remain stable in the British Isles as we are much more satisfied with the new number of provinces.

Last edited:

While I personally think a lot of my changes should be integrated into HIP, quite a few of the changes I've made are matters of taste. Still, the overall culture changes I've made are pretty well documented; then it's just a matter of whether you like my choice of names etc. As I stated in my introduction, I would be happy indeed if some of my work could, at least, inspire the HIP team - if they only choose to take parts of it, that's fine with me. If they like the changes I made to personal names, for example, but not my approach to the Scandinavian culture split (which is a makeshift solution anyway), then I'm fine with that, and they should only use what they believe is fitting in their own scheme of things.

Would it be that hard to add them back in for this sub-mod?

The provinces are not a necessity for the features I've modded, the reason theKing1988 mentions them is, I believe, because that was one of the reasons I gave for my postponing of the port to a newer version. In any case, if the melting-pot events are to be implemented into HIP/a newer version, they would have to be completely rebalanced (I spent a lot of time making sure the development made sense), but that would be the case even if the provinces were reintroduced (which they won't because of the increased amount of provinces elsewhere, and also because they are probably anachronistic anyway).

Last edited:
Reactions:
While I personally think a lot of my changes should be integrated into HIP, quite a few of the changes I've made are matters of taste. Still, the overall culture changes I've made are pretty well documented; then it's just a matter of whether you like my choice of names etc. As I stated in my introduction, I would be happy indeed if some of my work could, at least, inspired the HIP team - if they only choose to take parts of it, that's fine with me. If they like the changes I made to personal names, for example, but not my approach to the Scandinavian culture split (which is a makeshift solution anyway), then I'm fine with that, and they should only use what they believe is fitting in their own scheme of things.
Exactly what I was thinking. Of course there were some extensive changes to the map recently, but the main outline of stuff introduced in Norse Heritage mod could be quite logically taken as a model to design the region cultural setup for SWMH. You did amazing work here.

Thank you for the praise. The way I see it currently, I want to finish all my planned features and polish it up, then when I've reached a point where I feel I've done most of what I set out to do, I'll start thinking about porting it all to a newer version.

I'm currently working on Iceland, and it's getting pretty good. Should be done soon, and I'll also include some other minor changes as usual when I get around to release the next version.

Reactions:
Thank you for the praise. The way I see it currently, I want to finish all my planned features and polish it up, then when I've reached a point where I feel I've done most of what I set out to do, I'll start thinking about porting it all to a newer version.

I'm currently working on Iceland, and it's getting pretty good. Should be done soon, and I'll also include some other minor changes as usual when I get around to release the next version.
I like the sound of that, thumbs up :)

I'm just making the final touches to the new Icelandic republic. Meanwhile, you can listen to this:

Lyrics:
Hverir vökðu mér
varman dreyra?
segið mér ok segið mér,
sárt var ek leikinn;
ætlask virðar,
ok veit Tumi,
gleðr mik ok gleðr mik,
Gizur veiða.

Translation:
Who shed upon me
warm blood?
tell me, tell me,
badly was I treated;
our aim is,
and Tumi knows,
it gladdens me, it gladdens me,
to hunt for Gissur.

Reactions:
UPDATE - Version 0.95

- The Icelandic Republic is now in the game with all the major clans of the age and 160+ new characters!
- The Norse dynasties have been overhauled once more.
- Norse place names now predominantly use the dative form.
- The Norse faith is now called "Heiðinn", and "Ásatrú" is reserved for the reformed faith.
- The "Fylkirate" is now called "Ásatrúarveldið" (The Dominion of the Ásatrú).
- Restored and fixed the line of the Scyldings.
- Fixed some errors in the Anglo-Saxon history files.
- Various other changes and tweaks to existing features.

A new game is not required, but is recommended so the new features take effect.

Full download

Advanced:

Mod only

Patch (1)

(1) For upgrading previous "full download" versions 0.7 --> 0.95

Reactions:
Cheers!

The screenshot section has been updated, here are the screenshots showcasing Iceland:
vMTlFZE.png
4KqmMPn.png
dIgcaGM.png