• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Cheers! For the next version (when I'm back home from my vacation) I'll be adding some more appropriate "Scots" localization: e.g. the culture will be "Scottis" and "Earl" will be "Erle". I'll mostly follow the language conventions of Barbour's The Brus (1375) as the closest source we have aside from northern Old English dialects which I think would be too archaic for the later bookmarks.

@Erilaz
Hey buddy,
Since I'm currently using BLG instead of CPR (it's kinda barren with no updates for a long time) do you believe we could have a compatch for it when you have the time and mood?

Cheers!

Regarding the Scots culture - shouldn't it be rather in the West Germanic cultural group?

Logically, especially in the beginning, yes. It must be noted though that the culture groups don't always follow the linguistic divisions. I decided to go for the Celtic culture group for reasons of gameplay; e.g. so the Scottish nobility would intermarry and so the malus wouldn't be as noticeable.

Also, there is a possibility to turn Scots back into Englisc if the right conditions are there.

@Erilaz
Hey buddy,
Since I'm currently using BLG instead of CPR (it's kinda barren with no updates for a long time) do you believe we could have a compatch for it when you have the time and mood?

Cheers!

Is that even compatible with regular HIP? I don't think I can allocate the time to make a comp-patch unfortunately, especially since it's not something I would use myself.

Logically, especially in the beginning, yes. It must be noted though that the culture groups don't always follow the linguistic divisions. I decided to go for the Celtic culture group for reasons of gameplay; e.g. so the Scottish nobility would intermarry and so the malus wouldn't be as noticeable.

Also, there is a possibility to turn Scots back into Englisc if the right conditions are there.
Also thought about the issues of maluses, it's a bit of a problem. On the other hand the cultural division between Lowlands and Highlands was quite noticeable for centuries not only linguistically but more of cultural and social nature. Plus the process of certain cultural assimilation was turning the Highland elites closer to Scots culture and language, not vice versa. I think Lowlands and Highlands were more linked by the loyalty to the Scottish crown rather than culture.

You should also consider quite close links of the Scottish and English Norman elites that preserved for centuries despite the fierce military and political struggle between the two kingdoms.

Btw, is it possible to give Scots culture Norman gear and clothes (I think it's logical)? And probably giving Highland/Albannaich provinces and culture the Gallowglass military building (which makes more sense for medieval time) while living Schiltron exclusive for the Scots Lowlands provinces?

Btw, is it possible to give Scots culture Norman gear and clothes (I think it's logical)?
Same btw with the Scandinavian cultures as they are now divided into earlier and later versions (at last for the Danish and Swedish) in the mod: would be nice to have West European/German looking gear and holdings icons later rather than "furs" Viking stuff and wooden buildings of earlier period. Small thing but quite immersive sometimes.

Also thought about the issues of maluses, it's a bit of a problem. On the other hand the cultural division between Lowlands and Highlands was quite noticeable for centuries not only linguistically but more of cultural and social nature. Plus the process of certain cultural assimilation was turning the Highland elites closer to Scots culture and language, not vice versa. I think Lowlands and Highlands were more linked by the loyalty to the Scottish crown rather than culture.

You should also consider quite close links of the Scottish and English Norman elites that preserved for centuries despite the fierce military and political struggle between the two kingdoms.

Yes, unfortunately the game only allows us to choose one culture group association (though you can add a "parent" culture, which for "Scots" is currently "Angelcynn", but could just as well be "English"). I did spend some time considering the current setup ever since I made the melting pot culture originally a couple of years ago, but I'm open for arguments for changing it if it makes sense for gameplay and/or a more historical outcome.

I think having the Anglophone Lowland Scots and the Highland Scots in the same culture group is currently the best way to represent the dual-purpose "Scots" culture (1. Anglophone Lowland population - 2. Anglophile Scottish and Scoto-Norman nobility). Another alternative that could be tried is moving the "Scots" culture into West Germanic and having "Albannaich" as parent culture; that would mean that "Albannaich" characters will have no malus towards "Scots" characters and vice versa, but the provinces will have a high malus if held by the other culture. The current setup gives a small malus (half) between characters and provinces of the two Scottish cultures (as well as other Celtic ones) - while "Scots" characters will be friendly with "Angelcynn" characters due to the parent culture (again, this could be changed to "English", I haven't decided what's best yet).

Btw, is it possible to give Scots culture Norman gear and clothes (I think it's logical)? And probably giving Highland/Albannaich provinces and culture the Gallowglass military building (which makes more sense for medieval time) while living Schiltron exclusive for the Scots Lowlands provinces?

Currently the "Scots" characters use Anglo-Saxon gear and portraits (and using CPR that makes them look pretty Norman in my opinion, with the nice nasal helmets).

I still think the Gallowglass military buildings should be reserved for the Gall Goídel provinces.

Same btw with the Scandinavian cultures as they are now divided into earlier and later versions (at last for the Danish and Swedish) in the mod: would be nice to have West European/German looking gear and holdings icons later rather than "furs" Viking stuff and wooden buildings of earlier period. Small thing but quite immersive sometimes.

Again, I haven't actually seen the state of the character portraits without CPR since HF was released, but using CPR the Christian Scandinavians use pretty much continental gear. Do they use furs and "Viking" gear in your game?

Yes, unfortunately the game only allows us to choose one culture group association (though you can add a "parent" culture, which for "Scots" is currently "Angelcynn", but could just as well be "English"). I did spend some time considering the current setup ever since I made the melting pot culture originally a couple of years ago, but I'm open for arguments for changing it if it makes sense for gameplay and/or a more historical outcome.

I think having the Anglophone Lowland Scots and the Highland Scots in the same culture group is currently the best way to represent the dual-purpose "Scots" culture (1. Anglophone Lowland population - 2. Anglophile Scottish and Scoto-Norman nobility). Another alternative that could be tried is moving the "Scots" culture into West Germanic and having "Albannaich" as parent culture; that would mean that "Albannaich" characters will have no malus towards "Scots" characters and vice versa, but the provinces will have a high malus if held by the other culture. The current setup gives a small malus (half) between characters and provinces of the two Scottish cultures (as well as other Celtic ones) - while "Scots" characters will be friendly with "Angelcynn" characters due to the parent culture (again, this could be changed to "English", I haven't decided what's best yet).
Personally I like the second variant for the reasons mentioned above (considering quite significant differences in culture and social structures of the two Scottish groups); but both options have their own pros and cons.

Currently the "Scots" characters use Anglo-Saxon gear and portraits (and using CPR that makes them look pretty Norman in my opinion, with the nice nasal helmets).
Ah, thanks, I see now.

I still think the Gallowglass military buildings should be reserved for the Gall Goídel provinces.
But why? Considering their actual Highland Scottish (Norse-Gaelic) origin from high medieval period.

Again, I haven't actually seen the state of the character portraits without CPR since HF was released, but using CPR the Christian Scandinavians use pretty much continental gear. Do they use furs and "Viking" gear in your game?
I'm using CPR too. Some fur clothes are still there indeed in late game.

But why? Considering their actual Highland Scottish (Norse-Gaelic) origin from high medieval period.
Highland Scottish (Albannaich) is different from Norse-Gaelic (Gall Goídel) which is the group associated with the Gallowglass mercenaries.

I'm using CPR too. Some fur clothes are still there indeed in late game.

Hmm.. Yes, I see. Actually all the Scandinavian cultures use "norsegfx". You're probably right that the late Danish and Swedish cultures should have some more continental mixed in there. I'll give it a try at some point.

Also, I looked now again, and Scots use the "englishgfx", so it's actually even more Norman looking than the Anglo-Saxon gear.

Highland Scottish (Albannaich) is different from Norse-Gaelic (Gall Goídel) which is the group associated with the Gallowglass mercenaries.
This makes sense. Some difference between them would be good in some form. Perhaps mix of heavy infantry and pikemen for the Highlands and light cavalry (Border Reivers) and pikes mix for the Lowlands? Just as an idea.

Also, I looked now again, and Scots use the "englishgfx", so it's actually even more Norman looking than the Anglo-Saxon gear.
I've noticed that they are somewhat different from original Norman, but was a bit unsure.

Is that even compatible with regular HIP? I don't think I can allocate the time to make a comp-patch unfortunately, especially since it's not something I would use myself.

Yeah, it's fully compatible. No problem, it's not a huge deal. Maybe when you have more free time. It's a major mod though with thousands of users if you check it on STEAM ;)

It's sad that CPR is a bit ''barren'' atm. Let's hope the guys will find the time to enhance it at some point.

So! Here's a big update. I was actually just about ready to release one when Golden2 rolled in, so I had to switch back to modding gear to deliver you this.

Lots of changes in here, some have been forgotten along the way (don't ask me to take notes all the time!) and there's also two new parts (1.No Randomly Generated Daughters 2. Very Rare Female Peasant Leaders). Long live the freedom of choice!

For those of you that are getting a bit overwhelmed by the amount of tweaks, I've decided to make a compilation that includes all my mods.

Enjoy!

CHANGELOG:
24-07-19
Main Part:
- Updated for Golden2.
- Tweaked the British melting pots for a more historical outcome (e.g. English culture starts to emerge 25 years later in 1125).
- Regular character culture conversion has received multiple checks (e.g. Scots won't convert to a Celtic liege culture).
- Scottish Higlands won't convert to Anglophone cultures (including Scots) through regular events.
- Frisian provinces in Friesland proper won't convert to any other culture (this always happens otherwise due to the scarcity of Frisian holders of these provinces).
- Revised the Scottish title holders, especially for 1066.
- De jure setup in Scotland and surroundings revised: Galloway is now under the Kingdom of the Isles in the 11th century while the Northern Isles have drifted into Norway at that point; Dublin is also under the Kingdom of the Isles (Duchy of Man) until the 12th century; Cumberland is de jure England after the dissolution of the Cumbric kingdom.
- Tweaked the Gall Goídel setup slightly, and gave out claims on Dublin and Man in 1066.
- Many other (less important) changes, bug fixes, and tweaks that haven't been documented!
No Icelandic Republic:
- Updated for Golden2.
- The modifiers used for the Icelandic "climate" have been merged into one unique one that is much more balanced. It now effectively and significantly lowers the tax income and also the levies that the Icelandic Republic (and the Faeroe Islands) can levy.
- Merchant Republic respect factors now somewhat closer to vanilla (after the recent EMF changes): age matters once more and there's also the slight random factor, but the increased prestige and lowered campaign gold weight carries over.
- The "Foreign Wife" event has been disabled, so we won't see Hindustani and South of Sahara African wifes in Iceland all the time.

No Early Bascinets or Great Helms:
- Updated for Golden2.
- Flat top helmets and kettle hats won't appear before 1125 (they will just use mail coif before that).
- The requirements for lower tier high martial helmets lowered significantly, so it'll be quite common (though not too common). There'll now be a smooth transition from regular nasal helmets over flat tops and kettle hats to the enclosed helmets and great helms (and later bascinets).
- Minor balancing and tweaking of the requirements across the board.
Proper Ruler Designer:
- Updated for Golden2.
Call to Arms:
- Updated for Golden2.
The Articles of the Barons:
- Updated for Golden2.
No Warrior Lodges:
- Updated for Golden2.
No Randomly Generated Daughters:
- Initial release.
Very Rare Female Peasant Leaders:
- Initial release.

NHO Full Compilation (24-07-19) - For HIP Golden2

(Includes all NHO parts, all tweaks, as well my pre-HL portrait frames)

Updated Parts & Tweaks:
NHO Main Part

Features:
  • Reworked Norse culture split, including four brand new cultures in Scandinavia and a completely overhauled language setup. See here for details.
  • Overhauled Norse and Norse-derived (including melting pot) character and dynasty names as well as noble and landed title localisation.
  • New or tweaked names and localisation for neighbouring cultures (Anglo-Saxon, Celtic, Balto-Slavic, and Finno-Ugric), including an effort to replace all remaining "High Chiefs".
  • A "Scots" melting-pot that will appear in the Scottish lowlands in the 11th century (around the time of Malcolm III whose descendants are of this anglophile culture along with the Scoto-Norman nobility).
  • Revision of the Rus setup, with a new Polotsk cadet branch of the Rurikids, revised succession laws for Kiev, and fixes to the Novgorod Republic, etc.
  • Changes and corrections to the title and character setup in and around the Scandinavian kingdoms.
  • Tweaked Norse-Gaelic and Anglo-Danish melting-pots.
  • Other minor changes that enhance the experience when playing within the Norse sphere of influence.
Requirements:
CK2 3.2.1, HIP Golden2 (EMF and SWMH/MiniSWMH required)

Download:
Direct
(24-07-19)

NHO Icelandic Republic

Features:
  • Iceland as a republic with all the lawspeakers, important chieftains, and major clans of the age, several saga figures, and a complete line of Bishops for both of the Icelandic dioceses.
  • Important families of the Faeroe Islands around the time of conversion to Christianity and an extra holding to make the struggles for/against conversion and integration into the Norwegian Kingdom more interesting; this holding later being replaced by the diocese of the Islands.
  • Unreformed pagans can use the "convert to merchant republic" decision (when all other requirements are met).
  • Added modifiers to portray the pre-colonisation (no levies), the Landnám, and the climate.
Requirements:
CK2 3.2.1, HIP Golden2 (SWMH/MiniSWMH and EMF required), NHO Main Part

Download:
Direct
(24-07-19)

No Early Bascinets or Great Helms

Features:
No longer will you see Harald Hardrada wearing a 13th century great helm. Disables bascinets before 1300 and great helms before 1200 (for Crusaders 1150). The distribution of high martial gear based on martial skill etc. has also been tweaked slightly to accommodate the more fractured emergence of the helmet types.

Requirements:
CK2 3.2.1, HIP Golden2 (CPRplus required)

Download:
Direct
(24-07-19)

Proper Ruler Designer

Features:
Brings back the +/- of the Ruler Designer to stop yourself and your friends from overindulging.

Requirements:
CK2 3.2.1, HIP Golden2 (EMF required)

Download:
Direct
(24-07-19)

Call to Arms

Features:
Any independent ruler, with at least one higher than baron tier vassal, that becomes primary participant in a war will have to call vassals to arms, but when at peace or a secondary participant only, the ruler will get the possibility to raise liege levies once more
NOTE:
- I've created this with inspiration, and some base code, from this mod.
- Many triggers for factions and decisions have been modified to take into account the drop in the liege's perceived power when he no longer has direct control of his vassals' levies.
- Be aware that this feature is very much experimental and will change your experience significantly.

Requirements:

Download:
Direct
(24-07-19)

The Articles of the Barons

Features:
Removes the baron-tier border gore reduction. See here for details.

Requirements:

Download:
Direct
(24-07-19)

No Warrior Lodges

Features:
Sends all the warrior lodges back to the abyss of fantasy.

Requirements:

Download:
Direct
(24-07-19)

No Randomly Generated Daughters

Features:
The game will not generate random daughters for historical (or otherwise defined) characters during startup.

Requirements:

Download:
Direct
(24-07-19)

Very Rare Female Peasant Leaders

Features:
Peasant Leaders will have a 1% (1 in 100) chance to spawn as female instead of HIP's default 50%.

Requirements:

Download:
Direct
(24-07-19)

Last edited:
lol at the 1%
The alternative was removing them entirely (which would propbably be more historically plausible), but I decided to keep the 1% for spice (girls).

Clicking the link to download the helmets submod in the OP instead gives me the Wendish kingdoms one. You should fix that.

Thanks! Fixed it.

EDIT: Had a few beers before uploading everything - I also gave the wrong date in the changelog... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
A few minor changes that I felt worthy of a small update.

CHANGELOG:
25-07-19
Main Part:
- Minor tweaks to the British melting pots.
No Icelandic Republic:
- Minor tweaks to the modifiers.

No Early Bascinets or Great Helms:
- Enclosed helmet will now be more common and last from 1150-1225, whereafter it will be largely (even more than before) superseded by great helms.
- Early crusader great helm (the one along with black tabard) will only appear until 1250.
- Other minor tweaks for a more consistent usage of the helmet types.

NHO Full Compilation (25-07-19)

Includes all NHO parts, all tweaks, as well my pre-HL portrait frames.

For HIP Golden2 (EMF, SWMH/MiniSWMH, and CPRplus required)

NHO Main Part

Features:
  • Reworked Norse culture split, including four brand new cultures in Scandinavia and a completely overhauled language setup. See here for details.
  • Overhauled Norse and Norse-derived (including melting pot) character and dynasty names as well as noble and landed title localisation.
  • New or tweaked names and localisation for neighbouring cultures (Anglo-Saxon, Celtic, Balto-Slavic, and Finno-Ugric), including an effort to replace all remaining "High Chiefs".
  • A "Scots" melting-pot that will appear in the Scottish lowlands in the 11th century (around the time of Malcolm III whose descendants are of this anglophile culture along with the Scoto-Norman nobility).
  • Revision of the Rus setup, with a new Polotsk cadet branch of the Rurikids, revised succession laws for Kiev, and fixes to the Novgorod Republic, etc.
  • Changes and corrections to the title and character setup in and around the Scandinavian kingdoms.
  • Tweaked Norse-Gaelic and Anglo-Danish melting-pots.
  • Other minor changes that enhance the experience when playing within the Norse sphere of influence.
Requirements:
CK2 3.2.1, HIP Golden2 (EMF and SWMH/MiniSWMH required)

Download:
Direct
(25-07-19)

NHO Icelandic Republic

Features:
  • Iceland as a republic with all the lawspeakers, important chieftains, and major clans of the age, several saga figures, and a complete line of Bishops for both of the Icelandic dioceses.
  • Important families of the Faeroe Islands around the time of conversion to Christianity and an extra holding to make the struggles for/against conversion and integration into the Norwegian Kingdom more interesting; this holding later being replaced by the diocese of the Islands.
  • Unreformed pagans can use the "convert to merchant republic" decision (when all other requirements are met).
  • Added modifiers to portray the pre-colonisation (no levies), the Landnám, and the climate (these will also limit the amount of gold earned by the Merchant Republic).
Requirements:
CK2 3.2.1, HIP Golden2 (SWMH/MiniSWMH and EMF required), NHO Main Part

Download:
Direct
(25-07-19)

No Early Bascinets or Great Helms

Features:
No longer will you see Harald Hardrada wearing a 13th century great helm. Disables bascinets before 1300 and great helms before 1200 (for Crusaders 1150). The distribution of high martial gear based on martial skill etc. has also been tweaked slightly to accommodate the more fractured emergence of the helmet types.

Requirements:
CK2 3.2.1, HIP Golden2 (CPRplus required)

Download:
Direct
(25-07-19)

Last edited:
Οur most industrious Viking modder :)