• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Would you mind putting this up on the Steam workshop? Auto-updates are nice

Uh oh... Given the way in which the submod is structured (in various parts, not all compatible with each other) and the amount of extra time it'll require of me for each update (whether big or small), I'm afraid that's probably not going to happen. Besides, the Steam workshop is terrible to work with in my opinion. Sorry.

Just in time. Thanks @Erilaz :)

Cheers, mate!

I have a suggestion to open the passage between Hringariki, Hordafylki and Sygnafylki. The reason is that Numedalr, Haddingjadalr and Vadlres provided a passage between eastern and western Noregr.

I thought about it already (I also researched it while working on my RTW mod set in Scandinavia), but I refrained from opening up, arguing that you'd have a hard time marching an army over those passes. I'm sure there are examples of that though, so I'll consider it the next time I find myself looking at the map files.

I thought about it already (I also researched it while working on my RTW mod set in Scandinavia), but I refrained from opening up, arguing that you'd have a hard time marching an army over those passes. I'm sure there are examples of that though, so I'll consider it the next time I find myself looking at the map files.

A fellow TW modder. Oh capital. :)
Are you on TWC buddy ? I'm Greek Strategos from DEI's team. ;)

The oldest exsamples I can think of is that Sygnafylki and Hringariki before and under Harald Fairhair was under one king on several occations. Fridtjof inn Frækna was king of both regions (although a more mytical person), then Halfdan Svarti (a more likely historical figure) claimed overlordship over Sygnafylki from Hringariki wich does not seem so unlikely when followed up by Harald Fairhair he had the same realm as a starting point for his conquest. Of course a large army is not prefeable to cross those mountains, a small one could succede.

A fellow TW modder. Oh capital. :)
Are you on TWC buddy ? I'm Greek Strategos from DEI's team. ;)

"Dansk viking". I think we talked about that before actually ;-)

"Dansk viking". I think we talked about that before actually ;-)

Yeah I just forgot your username there. I saw your request as well. ;)

Cheers buddy.

Why is Norway called Noregi instead of Noregr? Noregi is the dative form of Noregr. And why do you write it Nóregi instead of Noregi?

Yes, it's the dative form. You will find that pretty much all of the Old Norse place names are using the dative form. The reason for this is that place names are mostly used in a context where the dative form is the correct one (e.g. in titles such as "Hákon jarl af Nóregi" where the preposition demands a dative form). The spelling with an accent is used in some primary sources whereas it's left out in others - so that's just a stylistic choice.

It should also be noted that I've standardised the language using what is in practise late Old West Norse (or Old Icelandic), for ease of use and recognising the fact that it would be too hard to try to distinguish East Norse from West Norse, etc. but that's another discussion.

Last edited:
Glad you added called the banners!!!

Just for this i will use this.

I'd love to hear how your game plays out when you use the Call to Arms tweak. Do you have any cool things happening when using it? What's your favourite and least favourite thing about it? Did you experience any issue that you think is caused by it?

I'm going to try out this submod today. Cheers

I'd love to hear how your game plays out when you use the Call to Arms tweak. Do you have any cool things happening when using it? What's your favourite and least favourite thing about it? Did you experience any issue that you think is caused by it?
well first off it does make devastating wars, actually devastating. If your vassals take large casualties in battles they don't seem to be replenished immediately like they are normally. It also really incentivizes you to keep your own demense and retinue troops as intact as possible.

The biggest issue, and I doubt there's any way around it, is that it REALLY clutters up the war participants parts when looking at the war overview.

is this Mod compatible with Walther's mod ? you used have a link for a compatibility patch, but that link is dead, so is this compatible with it now without a need for a patch ?

is this Mod compatible with Walther's mod ? you used have a link for a compatibility patch, but that link is dead, so is this compatible with it now without a need for a patch ?

The compatibility patch was a long time ago, and it was a much bigger effort than what it was worth.

Due to the very "broad" nature of Walter's mod, only a few, if any, of the parts/tweaks I've made may be compatible with it without any comp-patching (though mixing with some of the others may not result in a CTD, only some weird behaviour or botched up localisation). Briefly looking at it, I think only the NHO Map Changes part and the two portrait related tweaks would be completely compatible.

It seems that you can run the new version of CK2 and HIP with all the NHO parts without any major issues, but I just had a look through and there are definitely some changes that need to be looked at.

I'll try to find time to make everything compatible some time this weekend.

Here are the updates:

Changelog
27-05-18
Base:
- Updated for HIP Hydra5.

Icelandic Republic:
- The main Faeroese holding is now tribal in 1018.

Map Changes:
- Opened up several passes in the Norwegian mountains.

No Early Bascinets or Great Helms
Call to Arms:

NHO Base

Features:
- Reworked Norse character and dynasty names as well as title and province/holding localisation using standard Old (West) Norse.
- Reworked names and localisation for all Norse-derived cultures.
- Tweaked Norse culture conversion.
- New or tweaked names and localisation for neighbouring cultures (Celtic, Balto-Slavic, and Finno-Ugric), including an effort to replace all remaining "High Chiefs".
- Other minor changes that enhance the experience when playing within the Norse sphere of influence.

Requirements:
CK2 2.8.2.1, HIP Hydra5 (SWMH or MiniSWMH required)

Download:
Direct
(27-05-18)

NHO Icelandic Republic

Features:
- Iceland as a republic with all the lawspeakers, important chieftains, and major clans of the age, several saga figures, and a complete line of Bishops for both of the Icelandic dioceses.
- Important families of the Faeroe Islands around the time of conversion to Christianity and an extra holding to make the struggles for/against conversion and integration into the Norwegian Kingdom more interesting; this holding later being replaced by the diocese of the Islands.
- Added modifiers to portray the pre-colonisation (no levies), the Landnám, and the climate.

Requirements:
CK2 2.8.2.1, HIP Hydra5 (SWMH or MiniSWMH required), NHO Base

Download:
Direct
(27-05-18)

NHO Map Changes

Features:
- Redrawn borders that give York and London access to the sea.
- Opened up several passes through the Norwegian mountain terrain.

Requirements:
CK2 2.8.2.1, HIP Hydra5 (SWMH or MiniSWMH required) NOTE: Not compatible with Gaea (Updated Map).

Download:
Direct
(27-05-18)

No Early Bascinets or Great Helms

Features:
No longer will you see Harald Hardrada wearing a 15th century bascinet. Disables bascinets before 1300 and great helms before 1150. The lower tier open bascinets/sallets have been replaced by suitable alternatives.

Requirements:
CK2 2.8.2.1, HIP Hydra5 (CPRplus required)

Download:
Direct
(27-05-18)

Call to Arms

Features:
Any independent ruler, with at least one higher than baron tier vassal, that becomes primary participant in a war will have to call vassals to arms, but when at peace or a secondary participant only, the ruler will get the possibility to raise liege levies once more
NOTE:
- I've created this with inspiration, and some base code, from this mod.
- Many triggers for factions and decisions have been modified to take into account the drop in the liege's perceived power when he no longer has direct control of his vassals' levies.
- Be aware that this feature is very much experimental and will change your experience significantly.

Requirements:
CK2 2.8.2.1, HIP Hydra5 (EMF required)

Download:
Direct
(27-05-18)

Hey Erilaz, I've been some thinking on the different societies that should be available to the Norse.

A while back you asked for some recommendations, and I am not sure you got any, so I'll put some down here, assuming you are still interested.

Brief background on part of my thinking:

It is likely that there were different cults dedicated to different Gods. For instance it is theorized the fight over Heorot was due to it being built atop/apart of an ancient shrine to fertility gods. Specially the Vanir; (Ingjaldr, his father Fróði and Hrothgar's daughter Freawaru all have Vanir-related names)

Similarly there also appear to be Death-Cults or Warrior-Cults involving Odin and a belief in becoming or sharing a soul with a Wolf or a Bear. Úlfhéðnar and Berserkers.

While not quite Cults, I think a case could be made that some occupations requiring a significant amount of specialized knowledge and apprenticeship/fostering could also make good societies.

With that in mind...

Úlfhéðnar - Wolves of Oðin
male only

Martial Focus
Negative modifier to Diplomacy

Quests
Kill a Rival
Go on a Raid
Sack a Temple
Train an apprentice

Special Quests
Hanging - Hang yourself from an Ash Tree until you pass out as initiation into the order. There's a few different outcomes, most positive, with a negative outcome or two as well.
Blood Brother - Become friends with another member of the Wolf Pack and declare each other Blood Brother's beneath raised turf.
Werewolf - Let the spirit of the wolf within you.
Find a powerful weapon - Raiding mission that gives them access to a cool sword or something.
Every 9 years we hang everything - A very special blot where the character needs to furnish multiple animals and some people to really get the gods excited.
Cast a Spear Before Battle and Win it.
Tame a Wolf
- Gain a wolfish companion

Berskers - The Bear-men
male/female

Martial Focus -
Negative modifier to Diplomacy

Quests
Kill a ruler/Kill a monster
Win a War
Sack a fortress
Have some cubs

Special Quests -
Build a den - Create a hideout, a home away from home, where you can bear out without too much trouble.
Friend with Benefits - Become friends with another ruler, perhaps opening up trade with your land, or gaining something in value.
Werebear - Become the Bear.
Your Hands are Weapons - Through fighting or some quest line you realize that your hands are surer weapons than any tool could be. You get some sort of cool buff.
My Child my Curse - Have a child join the Berserks
Tame a Bear - Gain the loyalty of a Bear.

Godi of Yngvi - Priests of Freyr
male/female

Stewardship Focus

Quests
Perform Charity
Build a Temple
Go on a pilgrimage to Uppsla
Stat bonuses to Wards
Hold a Blot

Special Quests -
Thing on Faith - hold a great thing that clarifies some aspect of your faith. Increasing its morale authority.
Improve the Hold - Improves the Hold
Hold a Midsummer Dance - Upon a hill a Midsummer Fire is lit surrounded by two layers of stones. Drunk Dancers weave around the stones in the Sun Dance that lasts all day and all night. Lots of Ritual stuff involved, I can go into more detail.
Appease the Elves - Either a non-human sacrifice or money.
Study Farming - Take a trip/pilgrimage around the hold/kingdom/region/world to learn new farming techniques.
Tame a Boar - Show you are honored by your god.

The Volva of Freya
female only

Martial Focus

Quests
Seduce a Ruler
Kill a Rival
Burn down a City
Go on a Raid

Special Quests -
Become a Shield Maiden - Prove you are worth any man in Battle.
Blood Sister - Become Friends with another Shieldmaiden of Freya
Find or build a powerful shield - Claim your Shield.
A watery grave - Sacrifice nine people by drowning around a holy island
Befriend a Falcon - Keen eyed and sharp taloned.
Seduce a Smith - Use your sexual magic to get a smith to create you a wondrous artifact.
Learn Seiðr - Become a sorceress, sacrificing animals and men for power.

The Heralds of Thor - Sea Trader
male/female

Diplomacy/Stewardship Based

Quests
Get a Trading port built in your territory.
Open up a Trade Route
Build a City
Become Friends with a Ruler

Special Quests -
Become a Trader - Put your money where your mouth is.
Trading Quest to Miklagarth - Take the perilous journey to the great city and put it all on the line.
Build a Trading Fleet - One ship at a time to improve your province
Learn a new Language - Just makes things easier
Hold a Trading Thing and Convince them to turn your holding into a trading hub.
Befriend a goat -
Everyone gets Thirsty.
Find a treasure Hoard - rumor is there is one buried beneath the Rhine.

The Raven's of Oðin-
male/female

Learning/Intrigue focus

Quests
Kill a non-believer
Burn down any enemy holding
Hold a Blot
Convert a Region to your Faith
Seduce a Married Character
Raise your Morale Authority

Special Quests
Hanging - Hang yourself from an Ash Tree until you pass out as initiation into the order. There's a few different outcomes, most positive, with a negative outcome or two as well.
Acquire Wisdom - Interrogate Prisoners, steal books, go on pilgrimages. Build Libraries.
Learn Seiðr - Become a sorceress/er, sacrificing animals and men for power.
Cast Spells - Sing Songs of Power Using your Galdr
Every 9 years we hang everything - A very special blot where the character needs to furnish multiple animals and some people to really get the gods excited.
Learn The Runes - Knowledge should not be wasted
Educate - teach zealotry to the laypeople

Skalds of Bragi-
male/female

Diplomacy Focus

Quests
Make a Friend
Befriend a Ruler
Train an Apprentice

Special Quests
Challenge a Rival to a Flyting - Rap battles yo
Create a Verse for a King -
Become the Chancellor of a realm -
Invite to Study Poetry -
Go on an expedition to learn new Poetry
Accompany a Ruler into Battle -
Have your words carved into stone.

So these are some rough outlines on what some societies could look like. I can go into much more detail for any of them, and provide a lot more text as needed.

Last edited: