• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
So, here's a rather big update:

CHANGELOG

13-01-21
Main Part:

-In the 993 start, Robert (Archbishop of Roun and Count of Évreux) is now the younger brother of the future Richard II instead of the older brother set to inherit. His son, Richard, will change dynasty after his father's death (in the history files) instead of being born with it.
- Rollo stays Christian after conversion (no weird lunacy).
- Norman culture can spread even though the top liege is not Norman (French in the 936 start).
- Rouen and Cherbourg are Norman already in 930.
- English melting pot will also trigger if held be a French liege.
- Sigvaldi of the Jomsvikings have been given the whole province of Wolgast in the 993 start since the baron script took away the Jomsborg holding otherwise. The castle has been given a highly upgraded Housecarl Training Ground as well.
- The Jomsviking event will not trigger when starting after 960, creating Palnatóki with his "holy order", since that's in the past, and the Jomsvikings are in decline since the Battle of Hjörungavágr.
- Palnatóki isn't yet born in the 936 start date, otherwise we might end up with two of him...
- Óláfr kyrri, son of Haraldr harðráði and younger brother of Magnús, now owns the Duchy of Viken at the 1066 start.
Taxes and Enclosures:
- Poll taxes now slightly decrease chances of provinces increasing in prosperity (due to inefficiency, inequality, migration/lower population growth, and unrest - and because the unrest modifier wasn't enough to somewhat balance out the large tax increase); It stacks on provinces for each tier of liege that enacts the tax, and the heavier it is, the higher the malus.
Call to Arms:
- Major revolt leaders fighting an independent liege will now always have to call to arms on the same terms as de facto independent leaders.
- A non-tribal vassal who has been called to arms for an offensive war may receive an angry letter from their liege if they have not contributed to it for more than 2 years and the liege has below 25% warscore - resulting in loss of prestige.
- A non-tribal vassal who has been called to arms for a defensive war may receive an angry letter from their liege if they have not contributed to it for more than 2 years and the liege has below 25% warscore - resulting in loss of a lot of prestige and, unless the liege has zero crown authority, a reason for imprisonment due to a breach of the feudal contract.
- A non-tribal vassal who is not currently active in a war and who has recently refused a call to arms may receive an angry letter from their liege if the liege has below 50% warscore at any time in a defensive war - resulting in loss of a lot of prestige and, unless the liege has zero crown authority, a reason for imprisonment due to a breach of the feudal contract.

NHO Compilation (13-01-21) including hotfix

Includes all NHO parts and all tweaks except Call to Arms, Taxes and Enclosures, No Early Bascinets or Great Helms, and Proper Ruler Designer.

For HIP Frosty3 (EMF and SWMH required) NOTE: Unfortunately doesn't support MiniSWMH anymore.

NHO Main Part

Features:
  • Reworked Norse culture split, including four brand new cultures in Scandinavia and a completely overhauled language setup. See here for details.
  • Overhauled Norse and Norse-derived (including melting pot) character and dynasty names as well as noble and landed title localisation.
  • New or tweaked names and localisation for neighbouring cultures (Anglo-Saxon, Celtic, Balto-Slavic, and Finno-Ugric), including an effort to replace all remaining "High Chiefs".
  • A "Scots" melting-pot that will appear in the Scottish lowlands in the 11th century (around the time of Malcolm III whose descendants are of this anglophile culture along with the Scoto-Norman nobility). See here for details.
  • Revision of the Rus setup, with two new cultures and melting pot events for early and late Rus, a new Polotsk cadet branch of the Rurikids, revised succession laws for Kiev, fixes to the Novgorod Republic, corrections to the surrounding culture setup, and a split of the Mordvin culture into Erzya and Moksha, etc. See here and here for details.
  • Changes and corrections to the title and character setup in and around the Scandinavian kingdoms.
  • Tweaked Norse-Gaelic and Anglo-Danish melting-pots.
  • Slightly lowered taxes and levies of North Sea and Baltic Merchant Republics.
  • Other minor changes that enhance the experience when playing within the Norse sphere of influence (see the changelog).
Requirements:
HIP Frosty3 (EMF and SWMH required)

Download:
Direct (13-01-21) including hotfix

Call to Arms

Features:
Any independent ruler, with at least one higher than baron tier vassal, that becomes primary participant in a war will have to call vassals to arms, but when at peace or a secondary participant only, the ruler will get the possibility to raise liege levies once more
NOTE:
- I've created this with inspiration, and some base code, from this mod.
- Many triggers for factions and decisions modified to take into account the drop in perceived power when no longer having liege levies.
- Feudal vassals who do not participate in the liege's wars may lose prestige and opinion with the liege, and might face imprisonment if the liege has any authority in the realm.
- Taxing your feudal vassals lowers their opinion of you. This counters the inclination of players to focus on taxes (AI will always keep high levy focus by default).
- Modifiers that alter feudal liege levy percentages (e.g. imperial decay and levy efficiency) also give negative/positive opinion to your feudal vassals.
- I've made new government types for all baron-tier feudal vassals to make sure only vassals that can actually raise their own troops will be called.
- Be aware that this feature is very much experimental and will change your experience significantly.

DISCLAIMER: Due to the fundamental changes to balance etc. the HIP developers will not help you troubleshoot your game if you use this tweak.

Requirements:
HIP Frosty3 (EMF required)

Download:
Direct (13-01-21) NOTE: Not included in the compilation.

Taxes and Enclosures

Features:
- New crown law for allowing/banning new enclosures and forest restrictions. Some cultures more likely to do it than others, and specific traits required for the AI. Especially tribals dislike this, and nobles generally approve. Independent duke-tier rulers don't need this to initiate forest restriction/enclosure.

- New law for initiating enclosure and forest restriction. Some cultures more likely to do it than others, and specific traits required for the AI. Especially tribals dislike this, and local demesne provinces affected will have increased revolt risk.

- New tax law to levy "land tax", which will tax all of your vassals (and freeholders/demesne) more or less equally percentage-wise. Noble vassals hate this, though they can levy it themselves on their own vassals if their top liege has it. Requires at least medium crown authority, and specific traits for the AI, especially the higher levels (which also require high/absolute authority).

- New tax law to levy "poll tax", which will significantly increase your demesne tax level (and somewhat your other tax levels, especially for burghers). Burghers dislike this, and you'll get a global revolt risk increase. Vassals can also levy it if their top liege does it. AI require specific traits to enact this, and are more likely to do it if they're indebted or planning/in a war.

- Extended availability of "extort subjects" decision. Can be taken if you're primary participant in a war and have the right traits (if you're a defender you don't need the "red" traits).

DISCLAIMER: Due to the fundamental changes to balance etc. the HIP developers will not help you troubleshoot your game if you use this tweak.

Requirements:
HIP Frosty3 (EMF required)

Download:
Direct (13-01-21) NOTE: Not included in the compilation.

PS. I also attached an extra download here, which contains some minor tweaks that didn't really fit in any of my other parts:
- The regular coronation decision can be taken after 20 years instead of 30, even if at war (resulting in the inferior battlefield coronation, but countering the huge opinion penalty from being uncrowned).
- ERE coronation decision allowed for regularly crowned kings ascended to the imperial throne.
- Kingdom of Germany retains "Francia Orientalis" in the 936 start date rather than using "Deutschland".

Attachments

• Minor Tweaks HIP13-01-21.zip
    9,4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
  • 4Like
Reactions:
An important hotfix to make sure that the English melting pot triggers correctly. (Download links above and in first post updated).

Last edited:
@Erilaz, both files cannot be downloaded

Ah, thanks for the heads up! All the other links have been updated with the hotfix included, so you can just get them there.

@Erilaz, still "not found" error with both (Main Part and Compilation)

Weird. They worked for me before. Uploading them again with the same file name didn't solve it, so I reuploaded them with different names and triple-checked. Should work now!

Now its working, thx. Is this mod compatible with the Divine Right: Coronation for non-Catholics mod by Murdim?
I really don't know. If it's compatible with HIP (and especially EMF) I can't see why it shouldn't be compatible with NHO and the tweaks.

Does the No Bascinets and Great Helms HIP mod still work? I don't really like seeing my characters wear great helms starting out in 1066 or earlier bookmarks.

@Erilaz
Once more into the fray ;)
I'm glad you still keeping this updated, buddy!
I'm planning to use this unofficial HIP patch. I guess I'll have no issues with your smaller parts-tweaks, right?

Cheers!

Last edited:
Does the No Bascinets and Great Helms HIP mod still work? I don't really like seeing my characters wear great helms starting out in 1066 or earlier bookmarks.

Oh yes, all of the tweaks are still working.

@Erilaz
Once more into the fray ;)
I'm glad you still keeping this updated, buddy!
I'm planning to use this unofficial HIP patch. I guess I'll have no issues with your smaller parts-tweaks, right?

Cheers!

Well, I just had a quick look at it, and there are a few overlaps for NHO Main Part (succession_laws.txt and emf_buildings_triggers.txt), Passive Finno-Ugric Pagans (00_religions.txt), and Call to Arms (emf_demesne_laws.txt and emf_obligations_laws.txt). The author has shown how to merge the changes (in his "compatibility patch" section).

• 1Like
Reactions:
Oh yes, all of the tweaks are still working.

Well, I just had a quick look at it, and there are a few overlaps for NHO Main Part (succession_laws.txt and emf_buildings_triggers.txt), Passive Finno-Ugric Pagans (00_religions.txt), and Call to Arms (emf_demesne_laws.txt and emf_obligations_laws.txt). The author has shown how to merge the changes (in his "compatibility patch" section).
Thank you for checking! I'm currently using only Call to arms and the other smaller tweaks. so It'll be easy to patch them.
Cheers!

Erilaz, just wanted to extend my thanks for this mod of yours, now that I'm jumping back into CK2 I'm eager to get into it! Just one question/request... would you consider making warrior lodges an enable/disable option in the game rules? Some of us players may be a touch, uh, less refined when it comes to ahistoricity. Still want to get to grips with this feast you've cooked up here though!

EDIT: Silly me: just realized that if I downloaded NHO Main Part, as opposed to the Compilation, I could skirt the No Warrior Lodges tweak at will. I think. Chalk it up to newness to the modding community!

Last edited:
Erilaz, just wanted to extend my thanks for this mod of yours, now that I'm jumping back into CK2 I'm eager to get into it! Just one question/request... would you consider making warrior lodges an enable/disable option in the game rules? Some of us players may be a touch, uh, less refined when it comes to ahistoricity. Still want to get to grips with this feast you've cooked up here though!

EDIT: Silly me: just realized that if I downloaded NHO Main Part, as opposed to the Compilation, I could skirt the No Warrior Lodges tweak at will. I think. Chalk it up to newness to the modding community!
Yeah, you can bundle together the parts/tweaks that you want. The compilation is just there as an easy package for people that want more or less the full package.

Cheers!

• 1Like
Reactions:
@Erilaz
Hey, man! I hope everything is all right!
Just a question about a weird tooltip entry.
I'm using your coronation extra tweaks, but it's probably also HIP-related.
Talking about the second ''all of the following must be true conditions'' entries.
Any ideas?
Untitled8.png

@Erilaz
Hey, man! I hope everything is all right!
Just a question about a weird tooltip entry.
I'm using your coronation extra tweaks, but it's probably also HIP-related.
Talking about the second ''all of the following must be true conditions'' entries.
Any ideas?
Hey! All good here. Been spending most of my game time on my old Rome: Total War mod, and following the Remastered release.

It's not my work, I only changed the number of years of rule required to bypass the "At Peace" requirement. My changes to Empire tier coronation is a separate decision only relevant for the (Eastern Roman) Empire type government - so I guess what you're looking at there is regular feudal empire requirements. Not sure what the purpose is. Perhaps there's another decision or event chain if you do not have free investiture?

PS. I forgot to mention it in this thread, but I made a new tweak for ducal appointments (Anglo-Saxon style) if you fancy trying out something new. Check it out here:

Reactions:
Hey! All good here. Been spending most of my game time on my old Rome: Total War mod, and following the Remastered release.

It's not my work, I only changed the number of years of rule required to bypass the "At Peace" requirement. My changes to Empire tier coronation is a separate decision only relevant for the (Eastern Roman) Empire type government - so I guess what you're looking at there is regular feudal empire requirements. Not sure what the purpose is. Perhaps there's another decision or event chain if you do not have free investiture?

PS. I forgot to mention it in this thread, but I made a new tweak for ducal appointments (Anglo-Saxon style) if you fancy trying out something new. Check it out here:
I haven't touched the Rome 1 remastered yet, but I'll probably dive into it later this month! You know me, I wouldn't have missed such a classic!
Not sure why the decision is written that way in HIP and I thought that maybe you'll have a crazy theory or something, lol.
I can take the decision, despite the missing requirements and I'm definitely not an Emperor, anyway if it's badly written but still working, then no worries. I just hope the AI can take the decision without issues.

Will definitely check your new work! I always like flavorful tweaks!

Cheers!