• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Will it have bad effects if I play in 867?
No, it's absolutely fine. It's just not very "historical". It might be fun though.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Some of the Norse 'shields' are pure black as well as being in the Christian style.

How important are the recommended game settings?

Try clearing your gfx folder here: "...\Documents\Paradox Interactive\Crusader Kings II\HIP\gfx"

• 1Like
Reactions:
Here's a small fix:

CHANGELOG
04-08-20
No Early Bascinets or Great Helms

- Fixed bug: Kings wearing "crusader crown" great helms would wear hounskull bascinets before 1200, fixed that (possibly just temporarily) by again allowing those equipable crusader crown helmets to be displayed before 1200.

No Early Bascinets or Great Helms

Features:

No longer will you see Harald Hardrada wearing a 13th century great helm. Disables bascinets before 1300, great helms before 1225 (for Crusaders 1200), enclosed helmets before 1175, flat top and kettle hats before 1125. The distribution of high martial gear based on martial skill etc. has also been tweaked slightly to accommodate the more fractured emergence of the helmet types - and for a nice transition between them.

Requirements:
HIP Frosty3 (CPRplus required)

Download:
Direct (04-08-20) NOTE: Not included in the compilation.

A small fix for Abandon Undesirable Children:

CHANGELOG:
19-08-20
Abandon Undesirable Children:

- You can no longer force your own child back to your court if you are rivals, or if you are at war/rival with the current liege of the child. This is to prevent abuse when your child survives being abandoned and goes to another court (becoming your rival and getting claims on your titles).

NHO Compilation (19-08-20)

Includes all NHO parts and all tweaks except Call to Arms, No Early Bascinets or Great Helms, and Proper Ruler Designer.

For HIP Frosty3 (EMF and SWMH required) NOTE: Unfortunately doesn't support MiniSWMH anymore.

Abandon Undesirable Children

Features:
Any ruler (including AI) that is cruel or insane enough (and/or has cultural/religious customs that allow it) can abandon children with obviously detrimental traits (dwarf, clubfooted, imbecile, weak, deaf, inbred, tiny, wrymouth, harelip, hunchback, ugly) as well as illegitimate bastard children. This is based on the Leave your child into the forest mod by Mec vraiment cool. It has been expanded and tweaked quite a bit, tailored more for HIP (with all the new traits), and unlike said mod it has been extended and balanced for the AI.

Requirements:
HIP Frosty3 (EMF required)

Download:
Direct (19-08-20)

• 1Like
Reactions:
Excuse me, are the NHO changes to the map compatible with the Comprehensive Annals of Five Dynasties mod?

Unfortunately both the main NHO part and the map part are incompatible since there's an overlap of file usage.

the norse cultures dont seem to be using the correct Unit GFX

I haven't seen that myself. Which cultures specifically? Do you have a screenshot?

I'm currently working on a new tweak that is going to bring in some significant new options for realm management; specifically I've made laws for enclosure of common land and forest restrictions, as well as two different forms of targeted taxation: land tax and poll tax, with different effects.

Main inspirations are the concepts of "geld" in England, assessed by "hides", and other land taxes, the various forms of poll taxes and taxes on individuals and movable property (eg. jizja, hearth tax, head tax, plough tax, etc.) as well as the "Norman yoke" narrative and the different charters (Magna Charta and "... of the Forest").

If you're interested in trying it out already, here's my current (stable) WIP version:

Attachments

• Taxes and Enclosures HIP07-09-20.zip
    10 KB · Views: 0
  • 3Like
Reactions:
Here's a new, improved version. Note that the tweak will significantly change game balance (especially monetary obviously).

The main features right now:

- New crown law for allowing/banning new enclosures and forest restrictions. Some cultures more likely to do it than others, and specific traits required for the AI. Especially tribals dislike this, and nobles generally approve. Independent duke-tier rulers don't need this to initiate forest restriction/enclosure.

- New law for initiating enclosure and forest restriction. Some cultures more likely to do it than others, and specific traits required for the AI. Especially tribals dislike this, and local demesne provinces affected will have increased revolt risk.

- New tax law to levy "land tax", which will tax all of your vassals (and freeholders/demesne) more or less equally percentage-wise. Noble vassals hate this, though they can levy it themselves on their own vassals if their top liege has it. Requires at least medium crown authority, and specific traits for the AI, especially the higher levels (which also require high/absolute authority).

- New tax law to levy "poll tax", which will significantly increase your demesne tax level (and somewhat your other tax levels, especially for burghers). Burghers dislike this, and you'll get a global revolt risk increase. Vassals can also levy it if their top liege does it. AI require specific traits to enact this, and are more likely to do it if they're indebted or planning/in a war.

- Extended availability of "extort subjects" decision. Can be taken if you're primary participant in a war and have the right traits (if you're a defender you don't need the "red" traits).

Attachments

• Taxes and Enclosures HIP08-09-20.zip
    10,3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
  • 2Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Very nice concept.

Perhaps some laws related to feudal land tenures types and/or peasants status within the realm (from freeman to serf)?

Cheers!

Yeah, maybe I'll build on it. I also might consider ways to use the (hidden) caste system somehow. Not quite sure yet. Perhaps I'll just focus on fine tuning the balance of the new taxes. It seems to be working out very well in my playtests. Ruler traits matter even more now, since a reckless and cruel AI might overburden the realm, etc. There's also an increase in use of mercenaries, which I don't think is bad in and of itself. All in all, I'm quite happy with it (and finally I can tax those pesky feudal landlord leeches properly ;)).

• 1Like
Reactions:
was just wondering, are you gonna make a mod like this for ck3?

I don't own CK3 yet, and I've resolved to buy Paradox releases only on sale. I have no rush really, since I can't imagine ever modding a vanilla CK3, with all its nonsense and imbalances, foregoing all the great groundwork of a team such as the one making HIP.

Who knows, perhaps in a few years, depending on whether I genuinely consider CK3 an upgrade or not.

• 3Like
Reactions:
New update.

CHANGELOG:

16-09-20
Taxes and Enclosures:
- Initial release (the laws can now also be enacted in ongoing save games).
Call to Arms:
- Changing feudal focus to taxes now doesn't give as much penalty (more in line with general opinions from taxation).
Articles of the Barons:
- The barony border gore reduction script is now restored, but it only triggers if the holding character and the dejure liege do not have the same religion.
Main Part:
- Adjusted the crown authority of the Kingdom of Wessex and England titles in the history files. Medium already in Anglo-Saxon times, with decrease in favour of noble power during Norman rule.
- Other minor changes.

NHO Compilation (16-09-20)

Includes all NHO parts and all tweaks except Call to Arms, Taxes and Enclosures, No Early Bascinets or Great Helms, and Proper Ruler Designer.

For HIP Frosty3 (EMF and SWMH required) NOTE: Unfortunately doesn't support MiniSWMH anymore.

NHO Main Part

Features:
  • Reworked Norse culture split, including four brand new cultures in Scandinavia and a completely overhauled language setup. See here for details.
  • Overhauled Norse and Norse-derived (including melting pot) character and dynasty names as well as noble and landed title localisation.
  • New or tweaked names and localisation for neighbouring cultures (Anglo-Saxon, Celtic, Balto-Slavic, and Finno-Ugric), including an effort to replace all remaining "High Chiefs".
  • A "Scots" melting-pot that will appear in the Scottish lowlands in the 11th century (around the time of Malcolm III whose descendants are of this anglophile culture along with the Scoto-Norman nobility). See here for details.
  • Revision of the Rus setup, with two new cultures and melting pot events for early and late Rus, a new Polotsk cadet branch of the Rurikids, revised succession laws for Kiev, fixes to the Novgorod Republic, corrections to the surrounding culture setup, and a split of the Mordvin culture into Erzya and Moksha, etc. See here and here for details.
  • Changes and corrections to the title and character setup in and around the Scandinavian kingdoms.
  • Tweaked Norse-Gaelic and Anglo-Danish melting-pots.
  • Slightly lowered taxes and levies of North Sea and Baltic Merchant Republics.
  • Other minor changes that enhance the experience when playing within the Norse sphere of influence (see the changelog).
Requirements:
HIP Frosty3 (EMF and SWMH required)

Download:
Direct (16-09-20)

Call to Arms

Features:
Any independent ruler, with at least one higher than baron tier vassal, that becomes primary participant in a war will have to call vassals to arms, but when at peace or a secondary participant only, the ruler will get the possibility to raise liege levies once more
NOTE:
- I've created this with inspiration, and some base code, from this mod.
- Many triggers for factions and decisions modified to take into account the drop in perceived power when no longer having liege levies.
- Taxing your feudal vassals lowers their opinion of you. This counters the inclination of players to focus on taxes (AI will always keep high levy focus by default).
- Modifiers that alter feudal liege levy percentages (e.g. imperial decay and levy efficiency) also give negative/positive opinion to your feudal vassals.
- I've made new government types for all baron-tier feudal vassals to make sure only vassals that can actually raise their own troops will be called.
- Be aware that this feature is very much experimental and will change your experience significantly.

DISCLAIMER: Due to the fundamental changes to balance etc. the HIP developers will not help you troubleshoot your game if you use this tweak.

Requirements:

Download:
Direct (16-09-20) NOTE: Not included in the compilation.

Taxes and Enclosures

Features:
- New crown law for allowing/banning new enclosures and forest restrictions. Some cultures more likely to do it than others, and specific traits required for the AI. Especially tribals dislike this, and nobles generally approve. Independent duke-tier rulers don't need this to initiate forest restriction/enclosure.

- New law for initiating enclosure and forest restriction. Some cultures more likely to do it than others, and specific traits required for the AI. Especially tribals dislike this, and local demesne provinces affected will have increased revolt risk.

- New tax law to levy "land tax", which will tax all of your vassals (and freeholders/demesne) more or less equally percentage-wise. Noble vassals hate this, though they can levy it themselves on their own vassals if their top liege has it. Requires at least medium crown authority, and specific traits for the AI, especially the higher levels (which also require high/absolute authority).

- New tax law to levy "poll tax", which will significantly increase your demesne tax level (and somewhat your other tax levels, especially for burghers). Burghers dislike this, and you'll get a global revolt risk increase. Vassals can also levy it if their top liege does it. AI require specific traits to enact this, and are more likely to do it if they're indebted or planning/in a war.

- Extended availability of "extort subjects" decision. Can be taken if you're primary participant in a war and have the right traits (if you're a defender you don't need the "red" traits).

DISCLAIMER: Due to the fundamental changes to balance etc. the HIP developers will not help you troubleshoot your game if you use this tweak.

Requirements:

Download:
Direct (16-09-20) NOTE: Not included in the compilation.

The Articles of the Barons

Features:
Reduces the baron-tier border gore reduction. See here for details. It now only triggers when the holding character and the dejure liege doesn't have the same religion.

Requirements:

Download:
Direct (16-09-20)

• 2Like
Reactions:
I know it's been brought up before, but it'd be really nice if this was made compatible with Better Slavs submod. The two seem to complement each other perfectly in content.

Also, have you tried the More Navigable RIvers HIP submod? It's pretty essential for Norse characters. Maybe you could integrate it into this mod seeing as it seems largely abandoned and to make it compatible with your map changes?

PS: I seem to be having some display errors with the Norse special characters featured in the localisation of this mod. Does anyone know how to fix this? Doesn't really hinder gameplay, but looks ugly. There is also a little issue with the "Latin and Greek religious titles" submod, which leads to religious holdings in Patriarchates (Alexandria, Antiochia...) held by Muslims being displayed as "Caliphate of X" rather than Mosque.

Last edited:
I know it's been brought up before, but it'd be really nice if this was made compatible with Better Slavs submod. The two seem to complement each other perfectly in content.

Also, have you tried the More Navigable RIvers HIP submod? It's pretty essential for Norse characters. Maybe you could integrate it into this mod seeing as it seems largely abandoned and to make it compatible with your map changes?

PS: I seem to be having some display errors with the Norse special characters featured in the localisation of this mod. Does anyone know how to fix this? Doesn't really hinder gameplay, but looks ugly. There is also a little issue with the "Latin and Greek religious titles" submod, which leads to religious holdings in Patriarchates (Alexandria, Antiochia...) held by Muslims being displayed as "Caliphate of X" rather than Mosque.

It's simply too much work, and we sometimes quite significantly differ in our approach.

I haven't tried More Navigable Rivers. Might be interesting.

That's odd that you have issues with characters. I don't know what could cause that.

I'm aware of the patriachate holding titles being a bit off when held by other religions.

I did a quick little write up for the recommended starting years:

1066 (post-conquest) - Most balanced and historically accurate start. Willelme has established his rule in England, but will his successors be able to hold on to it? Scotland is ruled by the strong Dunkeld dynasty, bringing in "Inglis" customs from the south, but the kingship is contested by the rulers of Moray. Sweden is divided between Christian and Heathen, the Norwegian throne has been inherited by Magnús, the son of the late king Haraldr harðráði, and Denmark is ruled by the strong and fertile king Svenn Ástríðarson. The Russian princes have instituted the seniority-based Rota system, but how long can it last? The Rogvolodovich branch of the Rurikids is also eyeing its chance to claim Kiev, if it should ever present itself.

1187 - Interesting late start with the 3rd Crusade as its focal point; the outcome of which will decide how historically it progresses. Richard le quor de lion has his nickname, but he's not yet a crusader. France will be hungry to take back its lands from the English king, but it looks like a difficult task. The Republic of Novgorod is well established, but surrounded by foes and tributaries hungering for independence. The pagans in Lithuania and the Baltic are hard pressed, how long will they be able to keep the Christians at bay? The blood feuds of Iceland are kicking off, and perhaps the young Snorri will have a role to play?

993 - Pretty balanced and interesting start. Æþelræd unræd hasn't committed to the St. Brice's Day massacre, so he's still in decent standing. Hákon Jarl has recently repelled the Jomsviking invasion at the Battle of Hjörungavágr, securing his de facto independence from the Danish king Svenn tjúguskegg. Hákon may try to unite Norway and claim kingship, though this may be contested, since Óláfr Tryggvason is trying to gain followers to take back the throne for the Yngling dynasty. Brian Boru is not young anymore, but does he have the willpower and strength yet to secure his legacy in Ireland?

936 - Atypical early start. England is very strong under Æþelstan, so only a combined effort from his neighbours can prevent domination. Norway is ruled by a Christian king, Hákon, fostered by the self-same "Aðalsteinn", though that might spell trouble from the pagans next door. Denmark is divided; will the descendants of Hörða-Knútr or Klakk-Haraldr unite the Danish kingship? Igor of the Kievan Rus is old and without an heir, but the nature of what was to become Russia has already been altered.

867 - A chaotic start, with very little likelihood of historical progression, but with interesting alternatives emerging. The Viking Age is at its peak, the Great Heathen Army is doing its work on the British Isles. Hrœrekr is establishing a strong kingship around Holmgarðr. Iceland has been discovered, but yet to be permanently settled by Norsemen. Haraldr lúfa has vowed to conquer and unite all of Norway before he cuts his (fair) hair again.

I now also (kind of) recommend the two earliest start dates, though I still prefer the others. I'm working on some balancing, bug fixing, and fine tuning for the 936 start especially.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: