• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hey Erilaz, I've been some thinking on the different societies that should be available to the Norse.

A while back you asked for some recommendations, and I am not sure you got any, so I'll put some down here, assuming you are still interested.

Brief background on part of my thinking:

It is likely that there were different cults dedicated to different Gods. For instance it is theorized the fight over Heorot was due to it being built atop/apart of an ancient shrine to fertility gods. Specially the Vanir; (Ingjaldr, his father Fróði and Hrothgar's daughter Freawaru all have Vanir-related names)

Similarly there also appear to be Death-Cults or Warrior-Cults involving Odin and a belief in becoming or sharing a soul with a Wolf or a Bear. Úlfhéðnar and Berserkers.

While not quite Cults, I think a case could be made that some occupations requiring a significant amount of specialized knowledge and apprenticeship/fostering could also make good societies.

With that in mind...

Úlfhéðnar - Wolves of Oðin
male only

Martial Focus
Negative modifier to Diplomacy

Quests
Kill a Rival
Go on a Raid
Sack a Temple
Train an apprentice

Special Quests
Hanging - Hang yourself from an Ash Tree until you pass out as initiation into the order. There's a few different outcomes, most positive, with a negative outcome or two as well.
Blood Brother - Become friends with another member of the Wolf Pack and declare each other Blood Brother's beneath raised turf.
Werewolf - Let the spirit of the wolf within you.
Find a powerful weapon - Raiding mission that gives them access to a cool sword or something.
Every 9 years we hang everything - A very special blot where the character needs to furnish multiple animals and some people to really get the gods excited.
Cast a Spear Before Battle and Win it.
Tame a Wolf
- Gain a wolfish companion

Berskers - The Bear-men
male/female

Martial Focus -
Negative modifier to Diplomacy

Quests
Kill a ruler/Kill a monster
Win a War
Sack a fortress
Have some cubs

Special Quests -
Build a den - Create a hideout, a home away from home, where you can bear out without too much trouble.
Friend with Benefits - Become friends with another ruler, perhaps opening up trade with your land, or gaining something in value.
Werebear - Become the Bear.
Your Hands are Weapons - Through fighting or some quest line you realize that your hands are surer weapons than any tool could be. You get some sort of cool buff.
My Child my Curse - Have a child join the Berserks
Tame a Bear - Gain the loyalty of a Bear.

Godi of Yngvi - Priests of Freyr
male/female

Stewardship Focus

Quests
Perform Charity
Build a Temple
Go on a pilgrimage to Uppsla
Stat bonuses to Wards
Hold a Blot

Special Quests -
Thing on Faith - hold a great thing that clarifies some aspect of your faith. Increasing its morale authority.
Improve the Hold - Improves the Hold
Hold a Midsummer Dance - Upon a hill a Midsummer Fire is lit surrounded by two layers of stones. Drunk Dancers weave around the stones in the Sun Dance that lasts all day and all night. Lots of Ritual stuff involved, I can go into more detail.
Appease the Elves - Either a non-human sacrifice or money.
Study Farming - Take a trip/pilgrimage around the hold/kingdom/region/world to learn new farming techniques.
Tame a Boar - Show you are honored by your god.

The Volva of Freya
female only

Martial Focus

Quests
Seduce a Ruler
Kill a Rival
Burn down a City
Go on a Raid

Special Quests -
Become a Shield Maiden - Prove you are worth any man in Battle.
Blood Sister - Become Friends with another Shieldmaiden of Freya
Find or build a powerful shield - Claim your Shield.
A watery grave - Sacrifice nine people by drowning around a holy island
Befriend a Falcon - Keen eyed and sharp taloned.
Seduce a Smith - Use your sexual magic to get a smith to create you a wondrous artifact.
Learn Seiðr - Become a sorceress, sacrificing animals and men for power.

The Heralds of Thor - Sea Trader
male/female

Diplomacy/Stewardship Based

Quests
Get a Trading port built in your territory.
Open up a Trade Route
Build a City
Become Friends with a Ruler

Special Quests -
Become a Trader - Put your money where your mouth is.
Trading Quest to Miklagarth - Take the perilous journey to the great city and put it all on the line.
Build a Trading Fleet - One ship at a time to improve your province
Learn a new Language - Just makes things easier
Hold a Trading Thing and Convince them to turn your holding into a trading hub.
Befriend a goat -
Everyone gets Thirsty.
Find a treasure Hoard - rumor is there is one buried beneath the Rhine.

The Raven's of Oðin-
male/female

Learning/Intrigue focus

Quests
Kill a non-believer
Burn down any enemy holding
Hold a Blot
Convert a Region to your Faith
Seduce a Married Character
Raise your Morale Authority

Special Quests
Hanging - Hang yourself from an Ash Tree until you pass out as initiation into the order. There's a few different outcomes, most positive, with a negative outcome or two as well.
Acquire Wisdom - Interrogate Prisoners, steal books, go on pilgrimages. Build Libraries.
Learn Seiðr - Become a sorceress/er, sacrificing animals and men for power.
Cast Spells - Sing Songs of Power Using your Galdr
Every 9 years we hang everything - A very special blot where the character needs to furnish multiple animals and some people to really get the gods excited.
Learn The Runes - Knowledge should not be wasted
Educate - teach zealotry to the laypeople

Skalds of Bragi-
male/female

Diplomacy Focus

Quests
Make a Friend
Befriend a Ruler
Train an Apprentice

Special Quests
Challenge a Rival to a Flyting - Rap battles yo
Create a Verse for a King -
Become the Chancellor of a realm -
Invite to Study Poetry -
Go on an expedition to learn new Poetry
Accompany a Ruler into Battle -
Have your words carved into stone.

So these are some rough outlines on what some societies could look like. I can go into much more detail for any of them, and provide a lot more text as needed.

I like what I see although I'd note that a man practing Seiðr was considered "ergi" (unmanly) Just accusing another man of practicing seidr would considered a deadly insult and quite possibly holmgang-worthy and possibly very negative opinion modifiers to his vassal's opinion of him. After all, it seems that Seiðr was considered a woman's province(!)

@Erilaz

Hey buddy. Just reinstalled everything for a new playthrough.
Shouldn't NHO Base loaded before HIP ? (I know how to do it myself ) so I just letting you know for the next version's update.

Cheers.

@Erilaz

Hey buddy. Just reinstalled everything for a new playthrough.
Shouldn't NHO Base loaded before HIP ? (I know how to do it myself ) so I just letting you know for the next version's update.

Cheers.

I'm not quite sure what you mean. NHO Base already has this line: "dependencies = { "HIP - Historical Immersion Project" }", if that's what you're talking about...?

Any chance at cultures for the Norse in Russia?

That's a excellent suggestion, actually particularly regarding Novograd and the Kievan Rus.

It could be interesting indeed. Any suggestions how it could look? Are we talking about a melting-pot between the more or less purely East Slavic tribes and the Norse (i.e. the "Rus")? That'd mean redefining the current "Russian" culture. It's a pretty complicated subject...

I'm not quite sure what you mean. NHO Base already has this line: "dependencies = { "HIP - Historical Immersion Project" }", if that's what you're talking about...?

Υeah I forgot about NHO having it already. Shame on me...:oops:

It could be interesting indeed. Any suggestions how it could look? Are we talking about a melting-pot between the more or less purely East Slavic tribes and the Norse (i.e. the "Rus")? That'd mean redefining the current "Russian" culture. It's a pretty complicated subject...
well the various East Slavic tribes don't show up in the start HIP has so I was thinking more of Norse ruler + Russians

i really like the call to arms mini submod, but sadly it makes it impossible to use boats, since your allies can't/don't lend your their boats, so you can only use the ones from your demesne and mercenary boats

i really like the call to arms mini submod, but sadly it makes it impossible to use boats, since your allies can't/don't lend your their boats, so you can only use the ones from your demesne and mercenary boats

True. It's a good idea to have some coastal provinces under direct control. That said, since your vassals control their own armies (with your directions, just like with allies), you will not need to transport as many troops as you otherwise would - the vassals will do that themselves.

It is all a bit more complicated and harder to control, but then again, that's one of the main features of the tweak; with added complexity comes more challenges.

Did you find an approach that helped you overcome the issue or did it make you disable the tweak?

I added a section in the first post that addresses compatibility with other mods/submods:

Compatibility with other mods/submods:
Here I'll list commonly used mods/submods in accordance to their compatibility with NHO (and the other tweaks).

Mods known to be compatible:

Expanded Trade

Turks, Mongols & Mamluks

Mods known to be incompatible:

Gaea (Updated Map) (Conflicting with NHO Map Changes)

Walter's HIP Mod Mod (Vassal Kings Are Dumb) (Conflicting with NHO Base)

Minor Improvement Project (Conflicting with NHO Base)

Iberian Project (Conflicting with NHO Base)

Other mods in general:

If the mod in question edits any of these files, they'll conflict with NHO:

"...\common\landed_titles\swmh_landed_titles.txt"
"...\common\cultures\00_cultures.txt"
"...\common\dynasties\00_dynasties.txt"

Also, changes to the localisation files (especially if the other mod includes: "...\localisation\A_Nobletitles.csv") will likely overwrite many of NHO's localisation changes (but not cause crashing or the like).

If you're in doubt about a specific mod, feel free to ask.

In other news, I've been working on a very big update that, among many other things, especially includes corrections and changes to Russia and its surroundings, thanks to @Herr Doctor.

Last edited:
I added a section in the first post that addresses compatibility with other mods/submods:

Compatibility with other mods/submods:
Here I'll list commonly used mods/submods in accordance to their compatibility with NHO (and the other tweaks).

Mods known to be compatible:

Expanded Trade

Turks, Mongols & Mamluks

Mods known to be incompatible:

Gaea (Updated Map) (Conflicting with NHO Map Changes)

Walter's HIP Mod Mod (Vassal Kings Are Dumb) (Conflicting with NHO Base)

Minor Improvement Project (Conflicting with NHO Base)

Iberian Project (Conflicting with NHO Base)

Other mods in general:

If the mod in question edits any of these files, they'll conflict with NHO:

"...\common\landed_titles\swmh_landed_titles.txt"
"...\common\cultures\00_cultures.txt"
"...\common\dynasties\00_dynasties.txt"

Also, changes to the localisation files (especially if the other mod includes: "...\localisation\A_Nobletitles.csv") will likely overwrite many of NHO's localisation changes (but not cause crashing or the like).

If you're in doubt about a specific mod, feel free to ask.

In other news, I've been working on a very big update that, among many other things, especially includes corrections and changes to Russia and its surroundings, thanks to @Herr Doctor.

Good to know. Thanks buddy!

True. It's a good idea to have some coastal provinces under direct control. That said, since your vassals control their own armies (with your directions, just like with allies), you will not need to transport as many troops as you otherwise would - the vassals will do that themselves.

It is all a bit more complicated and harder to control, but then again, that's one of the main features of the tweak; with added complexity comes more challenges.

Did you find an approach that helped you overcome the issue or did it make you disable the tweak?
The problem is that not all your vassals will have access to boats unless you're in kingdoms like Denmark. It'll be fun to see how the crusades go

It'll be fun to see how the crusades go

In the Crusades, you're not primary participant, so you'll be able to use liege levies.

Revision of the Rus setup Vol.1 (10-09-18)
Here's the new major update. I hope you enjoy it!

CHANGELOG:

10-09-18
Base:
- Major revision of the Russian setup, especially in later bookmarks (focus on 1066 and 1187).
- The Novgorod Republic (appearing in 1136) has been fixed and tweaked. It is now Duke-tier and has a Rurikovich Prince (King-tier) as liege; the Prince title of Novgorod uses tanistry-succession (as the closest approximation of the actual system). However, the republic owns the vast majority of the land and troops. Both titles have full title-history.
- Succession between 1019 (ascent of Yaroslav) and 1097 (Council of Lyubech) is now seniority in all Rurikovich-controlled principalities (as the closest we can get to the rota-system).
- The Polotsk branch of the Rurikids now has its own dynasty (Rogvolodovich).
- There's now an additional titular principality (Drutsk) within Polotsk, and the line of holders for all of them have been added to the history-files.
- Many Russian rulers of primarily Norse (or Swedish) descent now use Norse portraits.
- Catholic religious titles now use Latin, and Orthodox religious titles use Greek, instead of English.
- The in-game "Autocephalous Patriarchs" are now called "Mitropolítis" (Metropolitan) since real Patriarchs beside the Ecumenical one only appeared in the Pentarchy and in Bulgaria within the game's time frame; the temple holdings where they appeared will now give the title "Patriarkhes" if held by an Orthodox character and "Patriarcha" if held by a Catholic character.
---
- Embarking and disembarking ships is now faster; vanilla speed values rather than twice as slow EMF values.
- Further tweaks to the Norse culture conversion and British melting-pots. Younger Scandinavian cultures now appear slightly later (intermediary cultures for Danish, Geatish, and Swedish characters still WIP).
- Younger Scandinavian cultures now use Old Danish, Old Norwegian, and Old Swedish noble titles (character names are still WIP).
- Distribution of land in Denmark in 1066 has been revised. Count-tier vassals preferred rather than Duke-tier.
- Birger Brosa now controls Östergötland between 1166 and 1202 rather than his younger brother, Magnus.
- Duke-tier Bergen, Jämtland, Södermanland and Hälsingland now use the Count-tier noble title (to avoid an over-abundance of Jarl titles).
- Various levels of council power added to Scandinavian and Russian kingdoms.
- Other minor changes.

Icelandic Republic:
- Various minor adjustments.
No Early Wendish Kingdoms:
- Renamed for better launcher overview.
No Early Bascinets or Great Helms:
- The high martial enclosed helmet will no longer appear after 1300.
- Slight adjustment of requirements for the different tiers.

Portrait Realignment Pack - Custom version:
Proper Ruler Designer
Call to Arms:
The Articles of the Barons:

NHO Base

Features:
  • Reworked Norse character and dynasty names as well as title and province/holding localisation using standard Old Norse (Old Icelandic).
  • Old Danish, Old Norwegian, and Old Swedish noble titles for younger Scandinavian cultures.
  • Reworked names and localisation for all Norse-derived cultures, and tweaked Norse culture conversion and melting-pots.
  • New or tweaked names and localisation for neighbouring cultures (Anglo-Saxon, Celtic, Balto-Slavic, and Finno-Ugric), including an effort to replace all remaining "High Chiefs".
  • Overhaul of the Rus setup, with a new Polotsk cadet branch of the Rurikids, revised succession laws for Kiev, and fixes to the Novgorod Republic, etc.
  • Other minor changes that enhance the experience when playing within the Norse sphere of influence.
Requirements:
CK2 2.8.3.2, HIP Hydra6 (SWMH or MiniSWMH required)

Download:
Direct
(10-09-18)

NHO Icelandic Republic

Features:
  • Iceland as a republic with all the lawspeakers, important chieftains, and major clans of the age, several saga figures, and a complete line of Bishops for both of the Icelandic dioceses.
  • Important families of the Faeroe Islands around the time of conversion to Christianity and an extra holding to make the struggles for/against conversion and integration into the Norwegian Kingdom more interesting; this holding later being replaced by the diocese of the Islands.
  • Added modifiers to portray the pre-colonisation (no levies), the Landnám, and the climate.
Requirements:
CK2 2.8.3.2, HIP Hydra6 (SWMH or MiniSWMH required), NHO Base

Download:
Direct
(10-09-18)

Other tweaks:
NOTE: Please read and understand the requirements before using these tweaks: some of them need specific modules/DLCs alongside them, and they are not all compatible with each other.

No Early Wendish Kingdoms

Features:
Removes the titular Wendish kingdoms in the 867 bookmark, but allows their creation when owning the core areas and being Wendish.

Requirements:

Download:
Direct
(10-09-18)

No Early Bascinets or Great Helms

Features:
No longer will you see Harald Hardrada wearing a 15th century bascinet. Disables bascinets before 1300 and great helms before 1150. The lower tier open bascinets/sallets have been replaced by suitable alternatives.

Requirements:
CK2 2.8.3.2, HIP Hydra6 (CPRplus required)

Download:
Direct
(10-09-18)

Portrait Realignment Pack - Custom version

Features:
A custom version of iron0037's Portrait Realignment Pack. Changes the Norse, Russian, and Celtic faces to the vanilla ones, while still using the hair styles and accessories from the DLCs. Note: Does not change the checksum.

Requirements:
CK2 2.8.3.2, Russian Portraits DLC, Norse Portraits DLC, Celtic Portraits DLC NOTE: Not compatible with CPRplus.

Download:
Direct
(10-09-18)

Proper Ruler Designer

Features:
Brings back the +/- of the Ruler Designer to stop yourself and your friends from overindulging.

Requirements:
CK2 2.8.3.2, HIP Hydra6 (EMF required)

Download:
Direct
(10-09-18)

Call to Arms

Features:
Any independent ruler, with at least one higher than baron tier vassal, that becomes primary participant in a war will have to call vassals to arms, but when at peace or a secondary participant only, the ruler will get the possibility to raise liege levies once more
NOTE:
- I've created this with inspiration, and some base code, from this mod.
- Many triggers for factions and decisions have been modified to take into account the drop in the liege's perceived power when he no longer has direct control of his vassals' levies.
- Be aware that this feature is very much experimental and will change your experience significantly.

Requirements:

Download:
Direct
(10-09-18)

The Articles of the Barons

Features:
Removes the baron-tier border gore reduction. See here for details.

Requirements:

Download:
Direct
(10-09-18)

Last edited:
@Erilaz
Very extensive update. Downloading ASAP.
If Paradox was half as industrious as you they would have fixed the raiding bug already.

All right. A very small update to NHO Base here. Mostly releasing it early because it fixes an annoying bug in Swedish names, but as a bonus you'll also get a little thing I changed recently: Englisc and Angelcynn characters can now join the Varangian Guard.

Changelog:
11-09-18
Base:
- Englisc (Anglo-Danish) characters can now join the Varangian Guard, and Angelcynn (Anglo-Saxon) characters can join after 1066.
- Fixed a bug where Swedish characters would sometimes be named "=".

NHO Base

Features:
  • Reworked Norse character and dynasty names as well as title and province/holding localisation using standard Old Norse (Old Icelandic).
  • Old Danish, Old Norwegian, and Old Swedish noble titles for younger Scandinavian cultures.
  • Reworked names and localisation for all Norse-derived cultures, and tweaked Norse culture conversion and melting-pots.
  • New or tweaked names and localisation for neighbouring cultures (Anglo-Saxon, Celtic, Balto-Slavic, and Finno-Ugric), including an effort to replace all remaining "High Chiefs".
  • Overhaul of the Rus setup, with a new Polotsk cadet branch of the Rurikids, revised succession laws for Kiev, and fixes to the Novgorod Republic, etc.
  • Other minor changes that enhance the experience when playing within the Norse sphere of influence.
Requirements:

Download:
Direct
(11-09-18)

All right. A very small update to NHO Base here. Mostly releasing it early because it fixes an annoying bug in Swedish names, but as a bonus you'll also get a little thing I changed recently: Englisc and Angelcynn characters can now join the Varangian Guard.

A very likeable feature. Thanks for adding it.

EDIT
Were in the files that new addition is located ?

Last edited:
Were in the files that new addition is located ?

"...\Documents\Paradox Interactive\Crusader Kings II\mod\NHO Base\events\oldgods_various_events.txt"

Just search for "varangian".

"...\Documents\Paradox Interactive\Crusader Kings II\mod\NHO Base\events\oldgods_various_events.txt"

Just search for "varangian".

Found it. I wanted to check it cause I have another mod with Varangian targeted decisions for Germanic, Anglonorse and Saxon characters, but I guess it wont interfere as it's player only. Right ?