• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Licarious

First Lieutenant
112 Badges
May 17, 2013
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Surviving Mars
  • BATTLETECH
  • Crusader Kings Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Prison Architect
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • Victoria 2
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
What is it?
This Variant of More Navigable Rivers is a map overhaul based around adding and altering the rivers and waterways of Europe and the Middle East intended to be a Submod to HIP/SWMH.

For Frosty1 - Frosty3 and 3.3.x
More Navigable Rivers - SWMH: Steam Workshop | Direct Download
For Golden4 and CK2 3.3.x
More Navigable Rivers - Expanded Map by mechl: Direct Download

Legacy support
Furry4 - Bastard2 and CK2 3.1.x - 3.3.x
More Navigable Rivers - SWMH: Direct Download
Standalone Suez Canal: Direct Download (Also woks with Furry1 - Furry3 and CK2 3.0.x)
Furry1 - Furry3 and CK2 3.0.x
Hydra6 and CK2 2.8.x
Standalone Suez Canal: Direct Download

Main Features:
Changed several minor rivers to major rivers making them navigable for boats.
Northern Europe: Elbe, Havel, Saale, Oder, Vistula, Neman
Central Europe: Danube, Olt, Sava, Tisza, Drava, Po
Middle-east: Nile, Karun, Tigris, Euphrates, Khabour
Expanded Map: Ganges, Brahmaputra

Including several options to:
Add/Remove a Canal of the Pharaohs linking the Mediterranean Sea to Red Sea
Enable/Disable ports to Caspian Sea
Connect/Disconnect Caspian Sea form the rest of Atlantic/Mediterranean Ocean region
Defaulting to no Canal, with disconnected Caspian Sea that has ports
To change preset copy the default.map file from the appropriate folder within the Options folder to the map folder.

Support for Vanilla, CK2Plus, and WtWSMS can be found found on the main forum thread Here.
SWMH
-Updated for Frosty2
SWMH
-Updated for Frosty1
Expanded Map
-Updated for version released on 10/25/2019
1.2.5:
SWMH
-Updated positions for changes in Golden3
Expanded Map
-Updated for version released on 9/6/2019
1.2.4:
Expanded Map
-Updated for version released on 7/11/2019
1.2.3:
SWMH
-Updated positions for changes in Furry5 to Furry7
1.2.2:
Expanded Map
-Updated for southern extension
-Added Ganges
1.2.1:
Reverted port positions to that of Furry3
1.2:
Updated for Furry4 and 3.1.x
fixed access to middle of Caspian sea when it is isolated form Atlantic/Mediterranean
1.1.2:
Fixed an adjacency mismatch which allowed people to hop for Syrmia to Prato
Thank you UrsusAtlanticus
1.1.1:
fixed misplaced ports
fixed inability to navigate the Tigris-Euphrates
changed method of linking Mediterranean and Red Seas from "Suez Canal" to "Canal of the Pharaohs"
1.1:
Updated for Furry1 and 3.0.x
added Po river
extended Nile and Neman rivers
1.0:
Initial Release for Hydra6

All added rivers displayed here.
XdRViGj.png

Close up look.
UFrfcCX.jpg

GUbogoU.jpg

3biqCEW.jpg

x2LNATY.jpg

Attachments

• Suez Canal HIP-SWMH.7z
    3,2 KB · Views: 43
  • MNR HIP-SWMH.7z
    3,7 MB · Views: 46
  • Suez Canal HIP-SWMH 1.1 .7z
    3,2 KB · Views: 58
  • MNR HIP-SWMH 1.1.2 .7z
    3,7 MB · Views: 61
  • MNR hip-Expanded 1.2.4 .7z
    12,4 MB · Views: 14
  • MNR HIP-SWMH 1.2.5 .7z
    3,7 MB · Views: 62
  • MNR hip-Expanded 1.2.6 .7z
    12,4 MB · Views: 70
  • MNR HIP-SWMH 1.3.1 .7z
    3,7 MB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Does this enable the "bring in some settlers" cultural conversion event for landlocked rulers with access to one of these rivers?
I am not familiar with this particular event but if it uses something like borders_major_river within the event limit then it probably will. However, if it requires province IDs then it probably won't.

I just tested your mod and I dont like the fact that the provinces which now border your rivers do not have ports like provinces with hip rivers (this is also the trigger for the culture spread event i was talking about). So basically you are landlocked and a target for realms with ports but you have no possibility to strike back... useless for me atm...

With all of this talk of wonders I am curious.
Would people prefer a physical "Canal of the Pharaohs" over the current abstraction of a "Suez Canal" for connecting the Mediterranean and Red Seas?
Baring in mind that because of a bug at least part of the Nile deltas eastern branch would need to be changed from a river into a sea.

Last edited:
With all of this talk of wonders I am curious.
Would people prefer a physical "Canal of the Pharaohs" over the current abstraction of a "Suez Canal" for connecting the Mediterranean and Red Seas?
Baring in mind that because of a bug at least part of the Nile deltas eastern branch would need to be changed from a river into a sea.
Changing it into a sea so everyone can transverse it (instead of Germanic/reformed pagans only) is a good idea.

But can it be "switched on/off"? Historically, Pharaoh's Canal has been "switched on and off" numerous times and the last time it's reopened is in the 7th century by 'Amr and then finally closed in the middle of 8th century, so it should be already closed at the start of the game.

Edit: even better if it can dynamically change, so everyone not in good terms with its controller should not be able to transverse it

Last edited:
Changing it into a sea so everyone can transverse it (instead of Germanic/reformed pagans only) is a good idea.

But can it be "switched on/off"? Historically, Pharaoh's Canal has been "switched on and off" numerous times and the last time it's reopened is in the 7th century by 'Amr and then finally closed in the middle of 8th century, so it should be already closed at the start of the game.

Edit: even better if it can dynamically change, so everyone not in good terms with its controller should not be able to transverse it
I agree that it should be off by default at the start of the game.

Unless there are some major with the way CK2 handles the map it probably wouldn't be possible to do a change like this while the game is running. So no events or decisions to rebuild or destroy the canal. It would probably be stuck at the current system of copying some files over at the start of a campaign or after some RP milestone then starting the game up.

Hello, I think there's a wrong connection in the adjacencies, Syrmia (1000) is connected to Prato (1137) instead of Macva (1127). It results in some funny teleportation over the Adriatic.

Hello, I think there's a wrong connection in the adjacencies, Syrmia (1000) is connected to Prato (1137) instead of Macva (1127). It results in some funny teleportation over the Adriatic.
Thank you UrsusAtlanticus, that is now fixed in 1.1.2.

Any chance you could make a version of this compatible with the Expanded Map submod, assuming it's not too much work and mechl has no problem with it? Love having more sailable rivers!
Mechl map is very impressive. If he is okay with it I would not mind releasing a sub mod for it. But, that will probably wait tell after it has been updated to 3.1.

Hello, the links to the ports from c_ajadabiya to c_alexandretta appears to be broken in my game, the ships are sent northwards in the middle of Europe, while for some counties there's no valid path. I'm not really sure if it's related to your mod, but can you check this out please? I'm having issues trying to understand what is the problem here, I've updated your mod together with Furry4 and I'm sure that I was using the default configuration (separate Caspian with ports, no Suez canal).

EDIT: The problem appears in new games too, not just my current save.

Last edited:
Hello, the links to the ports from c_ajadabiya to c_alexandretta appears to be broken in my game, the ships are sent northwards in the middle of Europe, while for some counties there's no valid path. I'm not really sure if it's related to your mod, but can you check this out please? I'm having issues trying to understand what is the problem here, I've updated your mod together with Furry4 and I'm sure that I was using the default configuration (separate Caspian with ports, no Suez canal).

EDIT: The problem appears in new games too, not just my current save.
This looks like it was a problem that SWMH introduced when the positions file were updated for wonders.
You might want to also report it to them.

Last edited: