• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Question, are you going to do something regarding the Sassanids that fled to China after the Arab conquest of Persia? From what I know, Narsieh, son of Peroz III (son of Yazdegerd III, last Sassanid King of Kings) fled with his father to China where they attempted to reconquer Persia which failed, they lived the rest of their lives in China with prestigious positions and marrying chinese nobility. Apparently Narsieh even adopted the family name "Li". Sadly Narsieh and his uncle Bahram VII seem to be where information on the Sassanids in China stops, though they apparently did have descendants (both sons and daughters, with Bahram VII having a son's name confirmed, the name being Khosrau/Khosrow/Juluo), so I'm wondering if you might not have Sassanids in China thanks to this, or if you're going to include some made up ones (or ones that I missed) as easter eggs.

Question, are you going to do something regarding the Sassanids that fled to China after the Arab conquest of Persia? From what I know, Narsieh, son of Peroz III (son of Yazdegerd III, last Sassanid King of Kings) fled with his father to China where they attempted to reconquer Persia which failed, they lived the rest of their lives in China with prestigious positions and marrying chinese nobility. Apparently Narsieh even adopted the family name "Li". Sadly Narsieh and his uncle Bahram VII seem to be where information on the Sassanids in China stops, though they apparently did have descendants (both sons and daughters, with Bahram VII having a son's name confirmed, the name being Khosrau/Khosrow/Juluo), so I'm wondering if you might not have Sassanids in China thanks to this, or if you're going to include some made up ones (or ones that I missed) as easter eggs.
If I were to stumble upon a character that could be assumed to be alive in 867 or later, then I would add him. Otherwise, Sassanids are out of luck.

Reactions:
Super new to the mod, sorry if the questions are redundant. In my game all of china only has cities built everywhere, Tang 907 start date, other start dates too. Also is there a reason for all the plain terrain type provinces in the steppe region, Orkhon etc ? Shouldnt those be steppe terrain ? I am using latest patch and frosty3 HIP.

Super new to the mod, sorry if the questions are redundant. In my game all of china only has cities built everywhere, Tang 907 start date, other start dates too. Also is there a reason for all the plain terrain type provinces in the steppe region, Orkhon etc ? Shouldnt those be steppe terrain ? I am using latest patch and frosty3 HIP.
Cities is WAD, I've already explained this decision earlier in this thread. Terrain probably could be looked at as I didn't modify Tianxia's terrain map.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Pardon me, but why do courtiers keep coming to me? Every game month my court is filled up by a steady river of refugees from China, and it has become a tiresome to have to tell people to leave.

Nevermind what I previously stated. The courtiers stopped coming after a few years, however when they were coming... It had a slight adverse effect on my polity, and I had cause to give thanks for console commands.

Pardon me, but why do courtiers keep coming to me? Every game month my court is filled up by a steady river of refugees from China, and it has become a tiresome to have to tell people to leave.
Hmm, courtier logic is hard oded AFAIK. It's possibly because many landed characters at the game start are quite old and the game kills them off quickly and their courtiers have to go somewhere. I'm not sure whether this is something fixable.

Help needed

Guys, no one wants to help me with this mod? I was sort of hoping that maybe someone would offer his services or maybe codes some event/decision which he would like to be added to the mod, but unfortunately offers were quite sparse, so I'm going to beg now. :p

I know that the most players are looking forward to the addition of events/decisions/game mechanics, the flavour in general. On the other hand I the most like to research history, read through sources, research genealogies for the characters who end up not even being playable and unnoticed by the most. I would love to have people working on the flavour stuff, adding ways to get artificats, option to take part in Imperial Examinations, add religions to the region so it's less monolithic, new festivals for all the new cultures, maybe new execution methods...

I would love to share the experience of making the mod with others once again.

People here(me yay) may be so unfamiliar with middle ages China so I just settled in what I already had now.
More, the five dynasties could be most neglected era in chinese history. Even folks tell little story about it.
Tales are sparkles that enlightened a modder. Without motivation, it's hard to create a (sub)mod.
(And it's amazing that you had the whole work done, solely. what a man!)
Back to modding, even I could not image what kind of life a 10C chinese lives. neither their administration nor their fashion trending.
If I have to add story events for this mod, I even not knowing any one of the legends.
As 3 kingdoms, there's Cao Cao versus Liu Bei; as 1081, there's Alexiad; As Cuba, there's Che; As five dynasties, sorry...

So I'd like you tell us what to do, since I really don't know much about it.

Last, here's my little CoA flavor mod for a previous han run. If this can polish your mod, just take it.

Last edited:
I'd love to help with the research but I don't know what help I could offer since my Chinese is almost nonexistent.

Sounds like it's every thing else other than research he needs help with, if you read his post.

Seems like he is doing just fine on research and creating character and province history files

Last edited:
Sorry guys for lack of responses, I've been quite busy with RL.

People here(me yay) may be so unfamiliar with middle ages China so I just settled in what I already had now.
More, the five dynasties could be most neglected era in chinese history. Even folks tell little story about it.
Tales are sparkles that enlightened a modder. Without motivation, it's hard to create a (sub)mod.
(And it's amazing that you had the whole work done, solely. what a man!)
Back to modding, even I could not image what kind of life a 10C chinese lives. neither their administration nor their fashion trending.
If I have to add story events for this mod, I even not knowing any one of the legends.
As 3 kingdoms, there's Cao Cao versus Liu Bei; as 1081, there's Alexiad; As Cuba, there's Che; As five dynasties, sorry...

So I'd like you tell us what to do, since I really don't know much about it.

Last, here's my little CoA flavor mod for a previous han run. If this can polish your mod, just take it.
You know, I actually toyed with the idea to have Hanzi CoA, but had no idea how to make it work, so I'll gladly take a look at your submod. If you wanted to help with that, maybe even create a custom style for players to pick their own Hanzi, then I would greatly appreciate that.

I'd love to help with the research but I don't know what help I could offer since my Chinese is almost nonexistent.
Yeah, as King said I'm quite fine with research. I'm currently going through Korean chronicles and genealogical books to complete the Korean province ownerships and I expect it's going to take me some time as unlike in China I don't have ready tables anywhere to help me (or maybe they are, but I don't know and can't read Korean).

Primarily I would need help with simpliest flavour things, like festivals for all the new cultures. Chinese Buddhists really shouldn't celebrate a Divali, but Spring Festival and other celebrities. I actually started to make this one, but once again I overdid it and went for searching for clues in the Rites secion of the New Book of Tang, which is certainly an overkill and not even that fun on a second thought.

Things like Festivals, Imperial Examinations, events about eunuchs, historical works. Small things (or big if you want) that give a different feel to the new parts of the map.

Primarily I would need help with simpliest flavour things, like festivals for all the new cultures.
The only counterpart of festival thing in ancient China I known is 上巳(Double Third Festival). The other candidates are lunar new year, while 重陽(Double Nineth) and midwinter are in the list but a bit short for eventchain.
And I didn't not know whether chinese people in 10C. celebrate them or not, I'm much more familiar with Jin and six dynasties (兩晉六朝).

As for Imperial Examinations, I think a annual eventchain that gives player a few tier 3 or 4 educated trait scholars is enough.
(With some event like cheating caught, bribes, mad old student, etc...)
It's hard to emulate Imperial Academy(國子監). More, 5 dynasties era are chaotic that examinations tends to suspend all the time. Even there is, only a few comparing with Tang dynasty.
I know there's an university mod however I just don't like the way it works.

Adding more Hanzi CoA is OK but CoA is too small for a dynasty motto, even a four-character compound may barely fit.
Tanghau is most capable thing I can imagine. Any records in Book of Tang mentioned Hanzi using for a family?

Back to festival events. If you can accept the idea of 上巳, I could create an eventchain contains 流殤(floating wine cup game), 祭祖(veneration of ancestors), 臨水沐浴(taking a bath by a creek or pond, sometimes having an outdoor sex)
Hope they still practice these stuffs in the 10 century.

Last edited:
The only counterpart of festival thing in ancient China I known is 上巳(Double Third Festival). The other candidates are lunar new year, while 重陽(Double Nineth) and midwinter are in the list but a bit short for eventchain.
And I didn't not know whether chinese people in 10C. celebrate them or not, I'm much more familiar with Jin and six dynasties (兩晉六朝).
Yeah, this side of history is not my forte, so I'm also not very well knowledgable here.

As for Imperial Examinations, I think a annual eventchain that gives player a few tier 3 or 4 educated trait scholars is enough.
(With some event like cheating caught, bribes, mad old student, etc...)
It's hard to emulate Imperial Academy(國子監). More, 5 dynasties era are chaotic that examinations tends to suspend all the time. Even there is, only a few comparing with Tang dynasty.
I know there's an university mod however I just don't like the way it works.
When the player is the ruler receiving a skilled advisor with proper traits would be enough. But I wanted to also have it as an alternative way for gaining land for the family. Like playing as landed character and having your sons study so they can take part in the exam and if the do very well they will have an option of becoming a courtier in the capital or getting a landed title.

Adding more Hanzi CoA is OK but CoA is too small for a dynasty motto, even a four-character compound may barely fit.
Tanghau is most capable thing I can imagine. Any records in Book of Tang mentioned Hanzi using for a family?
Can't recall any instances. It's not really a Chinese tradition to have family crests.

Back to festival events. If you can accept the idea of 上巳, I could create an eventchain contains 流殤(floating wine cup game), 祭祖(veneration of ancestors), 臨水沐浴(taking a bath by a creek or pond, sometimes having an outdoor sex)
Hope they still practice these stuffs in the 10 century.
It seems that during Tang parts of the festivies, especially those connected to veneration of ancestors were moved to 清明節 Qingming festival which is soon after. Maybe you could add something about Qingming too? But to be honest I would be already very happy to have Shangsi in the mod.

Maybe you could add something about Qingming too? But to be honest I would be already very happy to have Shangsi in the mod.
Sure, so it is a Shansi-Qingming festival, including two phases. I will use the vanilla tribal festival eventchain as the basis for modification.
If all goes well, I could do this mod next week at the script level, localization strings excluded.
Shall I pm you then?

Sure, so it is a Shansi-Qingming festival, including two phases. I will use the vanilla tribal festival eventchain as the basis for modification.
If all goes well, I could do this mod next week at the script level, localization strings excluded.
Shall I pm you then?
Sure.

Will there be a ck3 version of this mod?
I don't think I'm going to make one, but Chinese modders are already working on one, so you can look forward to that. It's going to be localised to English when they are ready for a release.

• 1Like
Reactions: