• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
How cool would it be if the genealogy line can go all the way back to Yan Hui.
Actually, it goes to his father Wuyou (顏無繇).

rP6x8Cu.png

The only problem is that due to the inability to add BCE dates 16 generations of descedants of Yan Hui appear as children. I'm considering adding some static image, like Isis has in EMF and Mohammad in vanilla, which could be applied to all BCE historical characters. I would be overjoyed if someone could help with that.

Wow, this mod looks really good, I hope that playing as China you get special events, decrees and government type like Tianxia and away from china because i really enjoyed that mod and I hope that most of the far east gets developed. Right now I wish you the best of luck and will watch and hope for updates or dev diary's

Wow, this mod looks really good, I hope that playing as China you get special events, decrees and government type like Tianxia and away from china because i really enjoyed that mod and I hope that most of the far east gets developed. Right now I wish you the best of luck and will watch and hope for updates or dev diary's
If you have suggestions for events then don't be shy.

If you have suggestions for events then don't be shy.
I can only think of certain events such as dynasty relevant events for example the An Lushan rebellion for the Tang, Mongol Invasion for the Song, the Red Turban Rebellion for the Ming, Five Dynasties 10 Kingdoms, warring states etc etc where when these events fire you can fire certain events to give the current dynasty event spawned troops or modifiers so they dont literally get steam rolled every time it fires.Im not too well versed in Chinese History but something like a modifier to represent the Mandate would be cool but thats all i can think of currently

Maybe there could be some events based on stories of Chen Tuan and Zhao Kuangyin. Chen had supposedly met Zhao either as a baby or a youth and prophesied the latter's great destiny. This could be a 'child of destiny' type event. Later Zhao wanted Chen to serve a court position but ended up losing to Chen Mount Hua in a game of chess.

rP6x8Cu.png

The only problem is that due to the inability to add BCE dates 16 generations of descedants of Yan Hui appear as children. I'm considering adding some static image, like Isis has in EMF and Mohammad in vanilla, which could be applied to all BCE historical characters. I would be overjoyed if someone could help with that.
Would it work if one creates a new identical culture, like han_2 or something, and then delete the daughter and son overlays? That way characters would appear as adults regardless of age.

I can only think of certain events such as dynasty relevant events for example the An Lushan rebellion for the Tang, Mongol Invasion for the Song, the Red Turban Rebellion for the Ming, Five Dynasties 10 Kingdoms, warring states etc etc where when these events fire you can fire certain events to give the current dynasty event spawned troops or modifiers so they dont literally get steam rolled every time it fires.Im not too well versed in Chinese History but something like a modifier to represent the Mandate would be cool but thats all i can think of currently
I would refrain from railroading apart from the game start. Maybe Mongols will be an exception, but rebels I'm gonna leave to the vanilla mechanics.
Maybe there could be some events based on stories of Chen Tuan and Zhao Kuangyin. Chen had supposedly met Zhao either as a baby or a youth and prophesied the latter's great destiny. This could be a 'child of destiny' type event. Later Zhao wanted Chen to serve a court position but ended up losing to Chen Mount Hua in a game of chess.
That's actually quite common motif and a good idea. Also the chess themselves could be added as some flavour events. If you would like to write event descriptions (I can handle coding if you are unable to do so), then I would love to see them added to the game.
Would it work if one creates a new identical culture, like han_2 or something, and then delete the daughter and son overlays? That way characters would appear as adults regardless of age.
I think that instead of adult portraits we would have no portraits at all, but I'm not sure. Could be certainly tested.

Last edited:
That's actually quite common motif and a good idea. Also the chess themselves could be added as some flavour events. If you would like to write event descriptions (I can handle coding if you are unable to do so), then I would love to see them added to the game.
Id love to but I have no understanding of how to do these things however. Whatever anyone can come up with I'm sure would be better. My only take is that perhaps multiple parts of the story should both trigger independently as standalone or together as a single chain for more flexibility. For example, the version "Chen Xiyi rejects 4 appointments" recorded by Feng Menglong recounts that Chen Tuan met the Zhao bothers as babies and later as adults. For the player character, maybe you can meet Chen the first time while you are a young adult, but if the event trigger for you or your son as a baby, it would be you meeting Chen again as an adult. Feng's version also involves a prophetic poem in which Chen foretold the usurpation of Later Zhou by Song, which can trigger if the pc is a Zhou vassal.

Maybe we can also nick other stories for our player characters.
  • Taizu dissolves military power with a cup of wine: vassal opinion bonus in exchange for military penalties
  • Zhao Pu administers the state with half the Analects: if you employ Zhao Pu as chancellor, bonus to imperial decay or stewardship but incur religious authority or learning penalties.

Just some quirks I noticed in the current version.

• The add_consort history command works from the perspective of the one whom it is filed under, and it is very often a man. The person who is added by the command is the consort, usually a woman. Some characters have this reversed, and as the result the husband become the concubine. For instance, 1414009, the Korean consort of Liao Jingzong.
  • Southern Tang's Li Bian had his uncle instead of his father as his listed father.
Astounding work truly. Can't wait for future updates.

Id love to but I have no understanding of how to do these things however. Whatever anyone can come up with I'm sure would be better. My only take is that perhaps multiple parts of the story should both trigger independently as standalone or together as a single chain for more flexibility. For example, the version "Chen Xiyi rejects 4 appointments" recorded by Feng Menglong recounts that Chen Tuan met the Zhao bothers as babies and later as adults. For the player character, maybe you can meet Chen the first time while you are a young adult, but if the event trigger for you or your son as a baby, it would be you meeting Chen again as an adult. Feng's version also involves a prophetic poem in which Chen foretold the usurpation of Later Zhou by Song, which can trigger if the pc is a Zhou vassal.

Maybe we can also nick other stories for our player characters.
  • Taizu dissolves military power with a cup of wine: vassal opinion bonus in exchange for military penalties
  • Zhao Pu administers the state with half the Analects: if you employ Zhao Pu as chancellor, bonus to imperial decay or stewardship but incur religious authority or learning penalties.
While flavour events are nice to have, something as significant as curbing the military power of Jiedushi shouldn't be handled with just an event. Though I'm not yet sure how to handle it.
Just some quirks I noticed in the current version.

• The add_consort history command works from the perspective of the one whom it is filed under, and it is very often a man. The person who is added by the command is the consort, usually a woman. Some characters have this reversed, and as the result the husband become the concubine. For instance, 1414009, the Korean consort of Liao Jingzong.
  • Southern Tang's Li Bian had his uncle instead of his father as his listed father.
Astounding work truly. Can't wait for future updates.
Duly noted and thanks for the kind words!

Status update:
China north of Yang-tze completed. Currently I'm working on Southern Tang subjects and after that I'm moving onto Chu and Wuyue. Min and Qingyuan are also ready, so after that the last piece of the puzzle will be Southern Han. The internal politics of those realms are not as well preserved, so they should take less time and be done relatively quickly. That is, unless I stumble again upon a character who is distantly related to already added character.

To be honest I already have one prefect at Shezhou (歙州) called Ma Can (陸傪) serving in 880s, whose ancestor was a brother of a very popular historical figure Lu Xun (陸遜). Also Ma Renyu (馬仁裕) a Jiedushi of Southern Tang claimed descent from Tang general Ma Sui (馬燧), while another Jiedushi Zhou Ben (周本) claimed descent from another 3 Kingdoms celebrity Zhou Yu (周瑜). While those claims might very well have been made up, they are soooo cool, that I'm gonna probably end up adding them sooner or later. But probably later, as I want the release before summer.

rP6x8Cu.png

For characters dead the time Jesus lived, there's a little trick for portrait.
"immortal_age" is actually working in history files.
For instance, Gaius Julius Caesar
Code:
145290 = {
   name="Augustus"
   # Gaius Iulius Caesar Octavianus Divi Filius Augustus
   dynasty=8648
   dna="dgbdfhhcaap"
   immortal_age = 75 # <16 for child portrait; 16~50 for adult; >50 for old age
   properties="0a0e0d"
   religion="hellenic_pagan"
   culture="roman"
   trait="just"
   trait="brave"
   trait="ambitious"
   trait="gregarious"
   trait="diligent"
   trait="genius"
   trait="augustus"
   trait="grey_eminence"
   3.1.1={
       birth="3.1.1"
   }
   14.8.19={
       death="14.8.19"
   }
}
ck2_56.png
(Mod; The Chad Augustus)
And here's a comparison with original look.
ck2_57.png
(Vanilla; The Vergin Basileus boy)

Now you can have all 1-year-old confucius descendants old man look, congrat!

For characters dead the time Jesus lived, there's a little trick for portrait.
"immortal_age" is actually working in history files.
For instance, Gaius Julius Caesar
Code:
145290 = {
   name="Augustus"
   # Gaius Iulius Caesar Octavianus Divi Filius Augustus
   dynasty=8648
   dna="dgbdfhhcaap"
   immortal_age = 75 # <16 for child portrait; 16~50 for adult; >50 for old age
   properties="0a0e0d"
   religion="hellenic_pagan"
   culture="roman"
   trait="just"
   trait="brave"
   trait="ambitious"
   trait="gregarious"
   trait="diligent"
   trait="genius"
   trait="augustus"
   trait="grey_eminence"
   3.1.1={
       birth="3.1.1"
   }
   14.8.19={
       death="14.8.19"
   }
}
View attachment 566895 (Mod; The Chad Augustus)
And here's a comparison with original look.
View attachment 566896 (Vanilla; The Vergin Basileus boy)

Now you can have all 1-year-old confucius descendants old man look, congrat!
Wonderful, thanks! Implemented immediately :D

Fantastic mod! Inclusion of the rest of South & Central Asia along with more regions in the Far East completes SWMH in my opinion.
Thanks for kind words. :)

This is absolutelly amazing. Great work!

Guys, I need your advice. Do you guys think that China should have navigable rivers just like Europe does? I'm personally torn on the issue.

Pros:
- Chang Jiang was a major route for riverine fleets during the period. Gao Jixing of Jingnan attacked Later Shu controlled Kuizhou (around Three Gordes Dam)
- It is consistent with how most other major rivers are treated in the game.

Cons:
- No warfare means that players and AI can load troops and potentially move them deep into enemy territory unimpeded, which wasn't the case.
- Riverine warfare in China was mostly an extension of land warfare. Naval battles were fought primarily to allow/block river crossing for land armies. This likewise cannot be represented.

What does everyone else think?

Guys, I need your advice. Do you guys think that China should have navigable rivers just like Europe does? I'm personally torn on the issue.

Pros:
- Chang Jiang was a major route for riverine fleets during the period. Gao Jixing of Jingnan attacked Later Shu controlled Kuizhou (around Three Gordes Dam)
- It is consistent with how most other major rivers are treated in the game.

Cons:
- No warfare means that players and AI can load troops and potentially move them deep into enemy territory unimpeded, which wasn't the case.
- Riverine warfare in China was mostly an extension of land warfare. Naval battles were fought primarily to allow/block river crossing for land armies. This likewise cannot be represented.

What does everyone else think?
I think it would be nice to have navigable rivers if only for the consistency, but if the ability to move troops into enemy territory using them would be too unbalanced then perhaps it would be best not to have them.

and isn't navigating major rivers a religion/culture feature anyway? What if Chinese cultures just didn't have the ability to move fleets through them