• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Just wanted to note that I'm currently trying to make the submod work with the latest HIP release. I'm not sure I'll manage to release before the Christmas.

Are you still on the M&T team that is working on 3.0?
I never officially left the team, but neither did I put any effort into 3.0. That's a baby of the other team members.

Dev Diary #2 後唐廢帝清泰三年七月甲辰 August 7th 936 AD
Dev Diary #2 後唐廢帝清泰三年七月甲辰 August 7 936

The reason I changed the scope of my submod. Originally it was meant to be focused on 1066, Tanguts and Khitans as I didn't expect neither the timeline extension nor the pace in which it was done (for both vanilla and SWMH). However, when the dev diaries started coming out I decided to switch and around June I began working on this bookmark. The first region to get worked on was:

Later Shu
oDmfpws.jpg

It's a third year of Mingde era (明德三年), 18th day of 7th lunar month. It's the second year of the reign of young Meng Chang (孟昶) who inherited the throne of Later Shu after the death of Emperor Gaozu (後蜀高祖). The young Emperor is not really talented and has to rely on the skills of his Jiedushi to defend against the armies of Later Tang. They don't lack the military prowess necessary to fight the Shatuo Emperors, but they were loyal to the charismatic Emperor Gaozu, who knows whether they will stay loyal with the young and inexperienced Emperor.

The Empire is divided into 10 Circuits:
- Xichuan (西川) with the capital at Chengdu (成都) and a personal fief of the Emperor.
- Yongping (永平) with the capital at Yazhou (雅州), under the command of Sun Hanshao (孫漢韶)
- Wude (武德) with the capital at Zizhou (梓州), under the command of Zhao Tingyin (趙廷隱)
- Wuxin (武信) with the capital at Suizhou (遂州), under the command of Zhang Zhiye (張知業)
- Wutai (武泰) with the capital at Fuzhou (涪州), under the command of Hou Hongshi (侯弘實)
- Ningjiang (寜江) with the capital at Kuizhou (夔州), also currently under the command of Hou Hongshi
- Baoning (保寜) with the capital at Langzhou (閬州), under the command of Zhang Gongduo (張公鐸)
- Zhaowu (昭武) with the capital at Lizhou (利州), currently without a Jiedushi and so in a fief of the Emperor
- Shannan Xidao (山南西道) with the capital at Xingyuan (興元府), under the command of Zhao Jiliang (趙季良)
- Wuding (武定) with the capital at Yuanzhou (源州), under the command of Pan Rensi (潘仁嗣)

Later Tang
ggBs0mM.jpg

It's also a third year of Qingtai era (清泰三年) and a third year of the reign of the usurper Li Congke (李從珂). His father's surname was Wang (王) and was adopted by Emperor Mingzong in his youth. Just three years ago he defeated and later ordered the murder of a true-born son Li Conghou (李從厚). His rule fragile from the outset he is now facing a major rebellion of Hedong Jiedushi supported by Khitans and a mutiny in Tianxiong army. Still, his realm is the biggest and most populous of all.

The Empire is divided into 30 circuits:
- Dongdu (東都) the capital region around Luoyang (洛楊) in Henan (河南府) and the personal fief of the Emperor
- Heyang (河楊) with the capital at Mengzhou (孟州), under the command of Chang Congjian (萇從簡)
- Kuangyi (匡儀) with the capital at Luzhou (潞州), under the command of Gao Xingzhou (高行周)
- Anguo (安國) with the capital at Xingzhou (邢州), currently without a Jiedushi
- Chengde (成德) with the capital at Zhenzhou (鎮州), under the command of Dong Wenqi (董溫琪)
- Yiwu (義武) with the capital at Dingzhou (定州), under the command of Yang Guangyuan (楊光遠)
- Lulong (盧龍) with the capital at Youzhou (幽州), under the command of Zhao Dejun (趙德鈞)
- Weisai (威塞) with the capital at Xinzhou (新州), under the command of Zhai Zhang (翟章/翟璋)
- Datong (大同) with the capital at Yunzhou (雲州), under the command of Sha Yanxun (沙彥珣)
- Zhenwu (鎮武) with the capital at Shengzhou (勝州)*, under the command of An Shuqian (安叔千)
- Jianxiong (建雄) with the capital at Jinzhou (晉州), under the command of Zhang Jingda (張敬達)
- Huguo (護國) with the capital at Hezhong (河中府), under the command of Han Zhaoyin (韓昭胤)
- Weisheng (威勝) with the capital at Dengzhou (鄧州), under the command of Huangfu Yu (皇甫遇)
- Shannan Dongdao (山南東道) with the capital at Xiangzhou (襄州), under the command of An Congjin (安從進)
- Zhenguo (鎮國) with the capital at Huazhou (華州), under the command of Huangfu Li (皇甫立)
- Kuangguo (匡國) with the capital at Tongzhou (同州), under the command of Yang Hanbin (楊漢賓)
- Xijing (西京) with the capital at Chang'an (長安) in Jingzhao (京兆府), under the command of Li Jingzhou (李敬周)
- Fengxiang (鳳翔) with the capital at Fengxiang (鳳翔府), under the command of Prince of Qi (岐王) Li Congyan (李從曮)
- Xiongwu (雄武) with the capital at Qinzhou (秦州), under the command of Kang Fu (康福)
- Zhangyi (彰義) with the capital at Jingzhou (涇州), under the command of Li Dechong (李德珫)
- Jingnan (靜難) with the capital at Binzhou (邠州), under the command of Zhang Xichong (張希崇)
- Baoda (保大) with the capital at Fuzhou (鄜州), under the command of An Shenhui (安審暉)
- Baosai (保塞) with the capital at Yanzhou (延州), under the command of Yang Hanzhang (楊漢章)
- Dingnan (定難) with the capital at Xiazhou (夏州), under the command of Li Yiyin (李彝殷)
- Shuofang (朔方) with the capital at Lingzhou (靈州), under the command of Zhang Congbin (張從賓)
- Guiyi (歸義) with the capital at Shazhou (沙州), under the command of Cao Yuande (曹元德)
- Tianxiong (天雄) with the capital at Weizhou (衛州)* under the command of Zhang Lingzhao (張令昭), currently under a mutiny
*Actually should be Fuzhou (府州), but since that province was quite small I merged it into Shengzhou
*Actually should be Weizhou (魏州), but that province is outside of the current game map.

Later Jin
3hVJGkg.jpg

It's been 73 days since the beginning of the rebellion. Li Congke provoked Shi Jingtang (石敬瑭) to rebel by ordering him to change post from Hedong (河東) to Tianping (天平) in Shandong. Seeing that Li Congklve has far more resources and soldiers than him, Shi Jingtang made a pact with the devil and against the advice of his general Liu Zhiyuan (劉知遠) offered Datong, Zhenwu, and Lulong to Emperor Yelü Deguang of Liao (遼太宗) in exchange for the military support.

Shi Jingtang controls almost whole Hedong circuit with the capital at Taiyuan (太原府), with the exception of a lone province ruled by a prefect (刺史) Ding Shenqi (丁審琦), who refused to join forces with the Shi Jingtang and remained loyal to Li Congke, at least for now.[/spoiler]

Liao
TSsh3AK.jpg

It's the 10th year of Tianxian era (天顯) and Yelü Deguang is as ambitious or even more than his father Emperor Taizu (遼太祖). Shi Jingtang offered him a deal no one would dare to refuse. For decades Khitans of Liao were raiding northern China and trying to make inroads into the fertile and wealthy Central Plain, but the opposition fielded by the Chinese was too fierce and invasion too risky. Now, they were willingly giving up the land they fought so hard to protect, only a fool wouldn't exploit the situation and lead hundreds of thousands of Khitan, Qay, Shirwi, Dilaq and other tribes into the heart of China. Bolstered by an early defection of Zhang Yanchao (張彥超) the prefect of Yuzhou (蔚州) in 932, Khitans can unravel their might onto the Later Tang.

The realm of the Great Central Khitan state is currently expanding into the Tatar regions in the direction of the former Uighur Khaghanate. In recent decades it also subjugated parts of Datong and Zhaowu circuits.

Great Yining
BYhqYHh.jpg

The once mighty Nanzhao is in the exact same situation as Later Tang. The currently ruling Yang family made enemies with Duan Siping, the Jiedushi of Tonghai (通海) stationed at Xiushan (秀山). In defeating the tyrants he is joined by a protector (守) of Shanju (善巨) Gao Fang (高方). Right now the target is clear, to take the Dali fortress and build a new kingdom ruled by Duan and Gao clans!

Nanping
rBEuepP.jpg

And on the of the map a lone indpendent state of Jiedushi of Jingnan (荆南), Gao Conghui (高從誨) bides his time spending time with his big family.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Suggestion as a compromise between the Japan and non-Japan crowd: include physical Japan (with projection and all) but don't fill it with provinces and maybe let others do it? Would be immensely valuable to them as a resource, and you yourself don't have to worry either about Japan or performance

Suggestion as a compromise between the Japan and non-Japan crowd: include physical Japan (with projection and all) but don't fill it with provinces and maybe let others do it? Would be immensely valuable to them as a resource, and you yourself don't have to worry either about Japan or performance
I didn't do the map, Mechl stitched the maps of SWMH and Tianxia and in the files I have there's only a dozen of pixels or so of modern Goto islands present. Even if I wanted, there's no possibility for me to add Japan on my own.

Yeah, I saw that from their post. If they would share their GIS project (assuming that's how it was made, didn't check), someone could do it on their own.

First and foremost i think Warial should focus on working. He is on a roll by the looks of things and stopping someone who is on a roll, is something i would be very sad about, as a fellow modder.

That being said, the permission i have given to Warial would extend to Japan too, if somebody wants to extend the projection.

Last edited:
First and foremost i think Warial should focus on working. He is on a roll by the looks of things and stopping someone who is on a roll, is something i would be very sad about, as a fellow modder.

That being said, the permission i have given to Warial would extend to Japan too, if somebody wants to extend the projection.

I'd be interested, if only I knew how you all made it :D

I've been picking up GIS for my own purposes lately, and saw this today, and was wowed by the surprise convenient coincidence

Dev Diary #3 後梁太祖開平元年四月甲子 June 1 907 - End of Tang bookmark
Dev Diary #3 後梁太祖開平元年四月甲子 June 1 907 - End of Tang bookmark

So, I guess this time I wanted to show off a bit with something other mods don't have. As I said in the OP: every year, every month and every day between 867.1.1 and 960.2.4 is gonna be playable. So, some bookmarks are in order. End of Tang is the first (and currently only) bookmark added to the mod. Why this date? Because it's exact day Zhu Quanzhong (朱全忠) was declared an Emperor of [Later] Liang and China was finally split into several independent factions.

Later Liang

O3Smkt8.jpg

The immediate reason for Tang's downfall is the regime led by a man on whose orders Emperor Zhaozong (唐昭宗) was killed and who forced his son (唐哀帝) to relinquish the throne to him on 12th of May. Most of the ministers and subjects supported this move, seeing that Tang Emperors are mere puppets and warlords reign free in their circuits.

In all, The Emperor of Liang has 17 circuits accepting his rule:
- Xuanyi (宣義), known as Tianxiong in 936, due to lack of Kaifeng representing the capital of Later Liang. (1 province)
- Heyang (河楊) under the command of Zhang Zongshi (張宗奭). (2 provinces)
- Xidu (西都), known as Dongdu in 936, also under Zhang Zongshi who was tasked with rebuilding it after the destructive effects of warfare over the last decades. (2 provinces)
- Zhaoyi (昭儀), known as Kuangyi in 936. Currently the Jiedushi is on the side of the rebellion, but all but one province is under Liang control. (6 provinces)
- Wushun (武順), known as Chengde in 936, under the command of Prince of Zhao (趙王) Wang Rong (王鎔). (4 provinces)
- Yiwu (義武), under the command of Wang Chuzhi (王處直). (3 provinces)
- Lulong (盧龍), under the command of Liu Shouguang (劉守光). (9 provinces)
- Zhongyi (忠義), known as Shannan Dongdao in 936, under the command of Yang Shihou (楊師厚). (4 provinces)
- Jingnan (荆南), under thr command of Gao Jichang (高季昌). (1 province)
- Baoyi (保儀), under the command an Imperial nephew Zhu Youliang (朱友諒). (2 provinces)
- Huguo (護國), under the command of Zhu Youqian (朱友謙). (6 provinces)
- Kuangguo (匡國), under the command of Liu Zhijun (劉知俊). (1 province)
- Zhenguo (鎮國), under the command of Cai Jingsi (蔡敬思). (1 province)
- Youguo (祐國), known as Xijing in 936, under the command of Wang Chongshi (王重師). (2 provinces)
- Dingnan (定難), under the command of Li Sijian (李思諫). (4 provinces)
- Shuofang (朔方), under the command of Han Xun (韓遜). (4 provinces)
- Guiyi (歸義), under the command of Zhang Chengfeng (張承奉). (6 provinces)

Prince of Jin/Later Tang

FSo4wmz.jpg

The arch-nemesis of Zhu Quanzhong and the master of Hedong is the Shatuo leader and Prince of Jin (晉王) Li Keyong (李克用). He has been the hegemon of Shanxi since he retook Chang'an from the usurper Huang Chao and since then he kept growing in power. A self-proclaimed loyalist, he didn't accept that the Tang dynasty ended and officially his domain kept using the symbols of power granted to him by the late Tang Emperors.

He rules over 4 circuits:
- Hedong (河東), the personal fief of the Prince. (9 provinces)
- Zhaoyi (昭儀), currently under the command of Li Sizhao (李嗣昭). (1 province)
- Zhenwu (鎮武), currently under the command of Li Kening (李克寜). (4 provinces)
- Datong (大同), currently without a Jiedushi and under a personal control of the Prince.

Prince of Qi

XjhQaqg.jpg

In the west, another warlord refusing to accept Zhu Quanzhong's rule is collecting soldiers to send off to war, the Prince of Qi (岐王) Li Maozhen (李茂貞). He himself previously rebeled against the Tang, but he never dared to declare himself an Emperor. He certainly won't accept Zhu Quanzhong as one.

He rules over 6 circuits:
- Fengxiang (鳳翔), a personal fief of the Prince. (3 provinces).
- Xiongwu (雄武), under the command of his nephew Li Jichong (李繼崇). (4 provinces)
- Jingnan (靜難), under the command of Li Jihui (李繼徽). (4 provinces)
- Baoda (保大), under the command of Li Yanbo (李彥博). (2 provinces)
- Baosai (保塞), under the command of Hu Jingzhang (胡敬璋). (3 provinces)
- Zhangyi (彰義), currently without a Jiedushi and so under a personal control of the Prince. (4 provinces)

Prince of Shu/Former Shu

6N5RHca.jpg

And resembling the situation from 936, Sichuan is under independent rule of Prince of Shu (蜀王) Wang Jian (王建). He made his career on pacifying rebellions in the southwest for which he was made a Jiedushi of Xichuan (西川), then in an opportunistic move he first rebelled against Tang and then betrayed his co-rebel, took over his domain while swearing once again fealty to Tang. From then on he kept expanding his power and control over neighbouring circuits until in 907 he could boast to control the entirety of southwest China. While he refused to acknowledge Liang as a dynasty, unlike Qi and Jin, Wang Jian doesn't feel much loyalty towards the old dynasty and would rather sate his own ambitions...

Shu has 11 circuits under control:

- Xichuan (西川), a personal fief of the Prince. (14 provinces)
- Dongchuan (東川), known as Wude in 936, under the command of Wang Zongji (王宗佶). (6 provinces)
- Wuxin (武信), under the command of Zhao Kuangming (趙匡明). (6 provinces)
- Wutai (武泰), under the command of Wang Zongben (王宗本). (3 provinces)
- Zhenjiang (鎮江), known as Ningjiang in 936, under the command of Wang Zongju (王宗矩). (4 provinces)
- Longjian (龍劍), with the capital at Longzhou (龍州). Currently without a Jiedushi. (2 provinces)
- Xingwen (興文), with the capital at Wenzhou (文州). Currently also without a Jiedushi. (2 provinces)
- Zhaowu (昭武), currently also without a Jiedushi and so split between Wuding and Shannan Xidao. (4 provinces)
- Shannan Xidao (山南西道), under the command of Wang Zonghe (王宗賀). (4 provinces)
- Wuding (武定), currently under the command of Wang Zongwan (王宗綰). (3 provinces)
- Baqu (巴渠), with the capital at Bazhou (巴州). Currently under the command of Wang Zonglang (王宗郎). (4 provinces)

Several things to note:
- Army sizes are inflated due to the fact that most of provinces have maximum possible holdings build from the start. I'm probably gonna limit the 'full' provinces only to the most major ones at the start before the release.
- Forming China is done through repurposed Adopt Chinese Imperialism decision, which creates a new empire title for a character (or gives them a historical one if it has no holder). No Empire title is creatable through normal means, primarily to keep Temple names from gaining regnal numbers.
- On usurpation of the title it is destroyed and a new one is generated.
- On forming a new Empire you get an event in which you can choose the flag and the name of the new dynasty.
- Temple names are assigned after death as they should have been from the day 1 (seriously PDS? It was the easiest thing to change).
- Only Tang starts as a de-jure title, all others are titular at the game start to make vassals more prone to independence wars.
- Due to the half of the realm being outside the game map, Liang is a bit screwed, while Former Shu is OP.
- Disbalance between duchies is a feature.

Last edited:
Reactions:
I'm amazed by your work. Keep it up!

I'm amazed by your work. Keep it up!
Thanks!

I still have several things to do:
- CoA changes for historical renaming of Jiedushi titles (history only).
- Finish populating Mongolia with fictional rulers (unfortunately there's a lacuna in history between the fall of Uyghur Khaghanate and the rise of Mongols)
- Populate Qinghai with fictional rulers (again, nothing is really known until the Kingdom of Tsongkha).
- Decrease the number of holdings in each province to more balanced numers

When it comes to characters and title history, it's gonna be a never ending story. Right now all duchy, kingdom, empire level titles are set. I guess there won't be more than a dozen of counts yet to add and I'll be revisiting history on the way. So, I once get the above points sorted out, I should be ready for the initial release and feedback.

- Finish populating Mongolia with fictional rulers (unfortunately there's a lacuna in history between the fall of Uyghur Khaghanate and the rise of Mongols)

History of Mongolian Plateau between Uyghur Khaganate and formation of Mongol Empire:
After fall of Uyghur Khaganate, Yenisei Kyrgyz ruled Mongolia between 840 and 860s.
860s, Toquz Tatar defeat Yenisei Kyrgyz and ruled Mongolia until rise of Liao(Liao conquered the east of Khentii Mountains in 928 and the west of Khentii Mountains in 1000).
1125, Jurchen Jin defeat Liao, but never ruled Mongolia. So Khamag Mongol tribal confederation dominated Mongolian Plateau until rise of Temujin.

Yenisei Kyrgyz ruled Mongolia between 840 and 860s.
860s, Toquz Tatar defeat Yenisei Kyrgyz and ruled Mongolia until rise of Liao
Sources?

I know of no evidence of Kirghiz domination of Mongolia after their destruction of Uyghur Khaghanate in 840.

Neither have I heard of Toquz Tatar ruling over whole Mongolia either.

I don't have access to CNKI unfortunately (so if anyone can share any publication from there that might be helpful for our timeline, I'll be much obliged) , but I read several of Bai Yudong's works on the topic of Toquz Tatar written in Japanese.

He doesn't claim that Tatars defeated the Kirghiz in any of those, neither does he claim that Tatars ruled over whole Mongolia. To the contrary, Toquz Tatars are to be understood as the Zubu 阻卜 of Liaoshi, which realm seems to have been concentrated around Orkhon and old Uyghur capital, but didn't extend over whole Mongolia.

Ok guys, I'm sick, I don't feel like writing another new diary and I just missed the Lunar New Year.
Also, with the amount of work that's still left to be done, I'm never gonna finish this mod.

So you know what? I might as well release what I have and maybe get some feedback from you guys? The link is in the OP, enjoy!

- Map extension to include half of China.
- All years playable between 867.1.1 and 960.2.4.
- New Bookmark 907.6.1 Fall of Tang
- Historical Emperors, Kings/Princes, Dukes and Counts as far as sources allow.
- In multiple cases family trees reaching long before Tang dynasty.
- On usurpation of the Empire with a different dynasty than the previously ruling one a completely new Empire is generated.
- Temple names are granted on death, including fathers and grandfathers who didn't rule personally, but their sons/grandsons did.
- Probably most exhaustive Yelü family tree ever made, including data from excavated funerary epitaths.
- Tangut province and barony names in Northwestern China based on Marc Miyake's notation.
- Greatly expanded Chinese character name list.
- Multiple new cultures: Shatuo, Serbi (Xianbei, mostly history), Tatar, Shirwi (Shiwei, WIP), Thoghon (Tuyuhun), Liao, Dongman, Baiman, Wuman, Bohai.
- Historical bloodlines for Southern Liang, Southern Qi, Tang, Later Liang, Later Tang, Later Jin, Later Han, Later Zhao, Former Shu, Later Shu, Southern Liang, Southern Qi and descendants of Confucius.
- Bureaucratic Government for China allowing to hold cities without penalties and in which liege is allowed to vote for the successor of his vassal titles (Feedback most appreciated).

Congratulations on your release :)!
Definitely going to try it, once the semester is over at the end of next week. Really looking forward to it.

Edit:
If you made the period 867-936 fully scrollable, that means you also touched upon Africa, the Middle-East and Europe correct?

Last edited: