• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Captain Waffles

Breakfast Connoisseur
28 Badges
Oct 31, 2016
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Prison Architect
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
Ayleid Anew - An Ayleid Restoration Submod
glo_meridia.jpg

So recently I decided to create a small submod that would add flavour for the Ayleids in an unlikely instance they would manage to recover their homeland. I felt they were lacking in the events and bloodlines department so now an Ayleid restoration run should be more gratifying. This was made with the latest SVN version and may not be compatible with any revisions before 351 or the Steam release version.

This is because of the recent addition to the SVN where LeSingeAffame added the decision to create a bloodline for Ayleids who have conquered all of Cyrodiil. And I changed the decision to fire an event giving you a choice between getting that bloodline or Umaril's. At some point I may create a separate version for Steam.

Also check out the Landmarks and Models submod by bobpotato for the unique Ayleid building models. And other features.

To have the decision appear you must have both the Ayleid racial trait and and culture, and have your capital in Cyrodiil. To claim Umaril's bloodline you must openly worship Meridia.

Many thanks to:

• The dev team for creating the Elder Kings mod and going through the painful process of guiding me in creation of the submod.
  • The ever-gracious FrostySapphire for providing the government and religion icons.
  • LeSingeAffame for letting me mess with their Proclaim Ald Cyrod decision.
  • Paradox for releasing this excellent Medieval simulator.
Features:
  • A unique bloodline for Umaril the Unfeathered.
  • An event to claim that bloodline.
  • Ayleid cultural empire.
  • Custom government and succession for that empire.
  • Reclamation events if you have the Ayleid empire and take back fully a region that was once settled by Ayleids; that includes Cyrodiil, Valenwood, Hammerfell, High Rock and Black Marsh.
  • Opportunity to declare a new religion for the Ayleids.

ck2_1.jpg

ck2_2.jpg

ck2_2.jpg
Planned Features:
  • Welkynd and Varla stones.
  • The ability to resurrect Umaril as a powerful commander.
Requirements: SVN revision 351 or later.

Changelog:

Version 0.1

• Original Release
Version 0.2
  • Added opinion malus for Umaril's bloodline for Nedic Pantheon worshippers
  • Added the decision to create the Ayleid empire (must be Ayleid, own two of these kingdoms: Cyrodiil/Valenwood/Hammerfell)
  • Added custom government for the Ayleid empire
  • Added custom succession law for Ayleid empire
Version 0.2.1
  • Added province reclamation events
Version 0.2.2
  • Fixed the government icon Ayleid Hegemony
  • Fixed a bug when creating the Ayleid empire, it would an Imperial Commune, which is just wrong.
Version 0.3
  • Ayleid religion added as well as an ability to declare it (Nine Divines-esque).

Attachments

• ayleidanewV0.3.7z
    1,3 MB · Views: 686
Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Just wanted to give you a heads up about a bug, opening the religion tab causes a CTD. This occurs regardless of the religion in question and is definitely Ayleid Anew, as it does not CTD unless it is activated.

Just wanted to give you a heads up about a bug, opening the religion tab causes a CTD. This occurs regardless of the religion in question and is definitely Ayleid Anew, as it does not CTD unless it is activated.
The issue is fixed now, just download the file in the original post.

Not to be pedantic*, but you've misspelled Dawnbreaker in the bloodline.

*Said he, being pedantic.

Thanks! Just to let you know: I'm making religion subsubmod to your submode.

I'm thinking small first, but in a nutshell:

Ayleid who is king or better can take a decision to convert into ayleid faith (I called it Annuel quite arbitrary), which have no mechanics worth noting except selection of patron meric deity or daedra (so, Ayleid faithful have access to selection from Azura, Meridia, Mephala, Boethiah, Mehrun Dagon, Sheogorath, Molag Bal and Hermeus Mora, as Ayleid didn't make a difference between 'bad' or 'good' ones). That's it, ayleids of current era are scattered group of refugies, who are running blindly around without actual groups of priests who would know correct rites - and even if they would, well, later Ayleidish realm was not exactly superior spiritually (and it was really, really filled with daedric cults).

When Ayleid realm finished conquering 3 of 5 holy sites (Imperial Isle, Ada-Mantia, Pyrrahn, Falinesti and King's Heaven), they can Reform religion by reformation mechanic with doctrines. I didn't wrote doctrines yet.

Last edited:
If you want my help or my current works, just say so.

If you want my help or my current works, just say so.
Thanks for the offer! I’m currently finishing up the version 0.3 which will have the religion I’ve been working on. As soon as you finish your version just post it here and I’ll make sure to include it in the top post with credits.

If I can ask, what's your approach on Ayleid religion?

If I can ask, what's your approach on Ayleid religion?
It’s mostly based off how the Nine Divines religion is formed in the Elder Kings mod. When you control the Ayleid Empire you have a decision to go on a tour of Tamriel where you meet up with representatives of different faiths (including Vivec) as well as making deals with a couple of Daedra. Then a decision appears where you can declare the new Ayleid Divinity religion if you meet the piety requirements as well as controlling 3 of the holy sites. All Ayleid rulers get a chance to convert.

The pantheon is made up of Magnus, Mara, Auriel, Kynareth, Meridia, Azura, Hermaeus Mora, Vaermina and Mephala. Meridia serves as a high god of the pantheon and Molag Bal is considered a purely evil entity due to his opposition of Meridia.

The holy sites are the Imperial Isle, Stormhold, Elinhir, Elden Root and Balfiera.

The religion is included in the Mer Pantheon religious group.

Holy Orders will be added later, and also I’m considering adding in a divine marriage mechanic for them but that’s still on the fence.

Hm. If it's Meric Pantheon, why Meridia is high deity? As far as I remember, she wasn't exactly "the daedra of Ayleids" (and it wasn't such thing, right?), but personal deity of some kings (doesn't serve them right, by the way). Abargarlas followed Molag Bal, for example, and nowhere I can remember info about them being some kind of traitors for basic ayleidish tenets.
Also, what is your approach on Amulet of Kings?

Hm. If it's Meric Pantheon, why Meridia is high deity? As far as I remember, she wasn't exactly "the daedra of Ayleids" (and it wasn't such thing, right?), but personal deity of some kings (doesn't serve them right, by the way). Abargarlas followed Molag Bal, for example, and nowhere I can remember info about them being some kind of traitors for basic ayleidish tenets.
Also, what is your approach on Amulet of Kings?
Meric Pantheon was purely a mechanical choice to make the Ayleids mesh better with the Bosmer and Altmer. At some point I may put them into their own religious group. This religion is also strictly new creation of the modern Ayleids and the only ties it has to whatever beliefs the old Ayleids held is the equal worship of Daedra and Aedra.

Meridia is considered a high god because of the kind of loose plot I’m doing with the mod where the Ayleids are trying to reclaim the glory of Umaril specifically. As there is a deep connection between Meridia and Umaril, she’s treated as high deity by them.

I haven’t thought about the Amulet of Kings. Since it’s a strictly human thing but I may add something related to it.

Last edited:
Meric Pantheon was purely a mechanical choice to make the Ayleids mesh better with the Bosmer and Altmer. At some point I may put them into their own religious group.
That's actually nice idea, of course - it was some kind of meric panteon, as far as I can remember. I refuse it as, I'm afraid, it works bad with Reformation system (which I want to use, because I love it), and also because in my opinion "reconstructed" Ayleid faith would be closer to Veloti, which are their own group.

I haven’t thought about the Amulet of Kings. Since it’s a strictly human thing but I may add something related to it.
Actually, the very description of Chim El-Adabal is "a huge Soul Gem of Ayleid origin". :)

UPD: By the way. If you need Ayleids to be good with Bosmer and Altmers, you can always add a decision for adding sympathy_mer_pantheon trait.

UPD2: Also, you can consider improve Umaril bloodline bonus to Meridia cult - as he was essentially Chosen of Meridia.

Last edited:
I finished first iteration of my religion approach.

Currently:
  • if Ayleid ruler have kingdom or empire, he/she can take a decision giving Annuel religion. Annuel religion allowing concubines (as Ayleid who take it would be quite tribalistic this days), have no head and allowing you to take elven god as a patron through common decision. Also you can take another decision instead and select a Daedra as your patron, giving access to off-map daedric options (but panteon version is weaker then full-scale cult), like Old Faith or Veloti can. If you take Elven god as patron, you also get sympathy to Meric religions (meaning it's simpler to expand in Valenwood). Taking Daedra gives you sympathy to Daedric, which can be very important if you already expand and make some daedric (say, Merida) vassals.
  • Annuel religion have following holy sites: Imperial Isle, Ada-Mantia, Pyrrahn, Falinesti and King's Heaven; as it's four Towers - Ayleids was fond of them - and a center of living god realm.
  • If Ayleid realm have 3 holy sites, they can reform a religion using common HF mechanics. I blocked doctrines that I felt working mechanically bad for EK (like Syncretic or gender ones). Attention - reformation event looks very unoptimized, at least for my notebook and large empire, and working long time.
  • Ayleids have one unique doctrine for them - Welkynd Stones. This doctrine gives defensive boost on home territory (as Welkynd Stones gives magika and restore users), +2 to Learning, and allowing you to build Great Welkynd Stone building in Shrine (Hospital) in ayleid provinces. It gives +2.5% local tax, +5% to local Morale, +5% to technology spread rate and +5 to Trade Value. This doctrine is not accessible with Temporal leadership, meaning you can not take it and be a leader of your religion.
  • Taking Welkynd Stones doctrine allows "Create Welkynd Network" decision. You must own Imperial Isle, Balfiera, King's Haven, Falinesti, Ashlands, Tagon and Ivarstead - all Towers but Numidium - and build a Great Welkynd Stone in every one of them (you can do it even if this seven provinces does not have ayleid culture). Also you must have Amulet of Kings (or, to be precise, Chim-el Adabal, central gem, but for game sake we don't differ), and be an Emperor of Tamriel. If you do, you get Divine bloodline.
What to do / problems:
1. Essentially I'm very lazy, so it's a lot of reuse. I'm using Maruhkati flag, icon and colors for the Annuel religion (because I thought it would be rare enough to meet both of this religions on same game). I'm using basegame doctrines, dirty-locking some of them (when I'm trying to just delete, game somewhy crushing). I'm really, really bad with art, so every art is robbed from EK or vanilla. The most daring is Divine bloodline, which is essentially, well, Divine one, with bonus to Nine Divines religion.
2. Game rewrite some base files from the mod. ek_religion_triggers.txt for making Annuel panteon religion, ek_patrondieties_system.txt to give them access to patrons, tamriel_landed_titles.txt to add holy sites for new religion (and also to forbid creating titular titles if lands in question is owned by your second-level vassal).
3. Texts. I was trying to make all of this work mechanically, so there is some texts missing, most daring is placeholder on the last event in the chain - Activating Welkynd Network.

Attachments

• AyleidReligion.zip
    146,5 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Ok, I made some more things.
Disclaimer: I didn't think balance, and I never do. It's story that matters, and stories aren't balanced.

• My approach is based on Laloriaran Dynar and city of Delodil, not on Umaril. Therefore, it's concentrated on "playing nice", approaching to restore Ayleid rule, but not Umaril "Kill-Alll-Mortals" the Unfeathered way, incorporating Men power structures, not just killing them all. It's better described as "Imperial aristocrats who happened to be Meric in origin". (Or, if you want, it's Imperial aristocrats are nedic people who adopted Ayleid style to live.)
  • The very point of Ayleid religion isn't, well, religion. As I wrote in event giving you Ayleid religion, "Ayleid nations never were too spiritual to begin with. Build around magical prowess and schools of magic unaccessable for anybody else, religion in modern understanding had little place in old city-states and Empire. Still, some forms of religious thought existed - Aldmeri panteon, mixed with Daedric veneration, with all kind of scholar's enlightenment, fuse in very specific ways into specific philosophy. Conflicts around different internal cults were quite usual, with cities fighting each other, and kings oppose practices of their brethren considered natural. It's hard to define Ayleidi religion today, but it's understood it was 'applied metaphysics' first, veneration in human (or even mer) understanding second. Still, our scholars and sorcerer kings fall when Empire crumbled, so it's hard to say what was real meaning of practices - and practices themselves are nearly lost."
  • So, it's built around reclaiming the glory of old days - not exactly in Thalmor way, again; there is men, ok, and that's not a divine affront. Ayleid kings were ok about ruling human subjects and even being human subjects - if there would no other way. Laloriaran Dynar was a vassal of Alessa.
  • As Ayleid starting as a small group of tribals, and quite usually vassals (I believe there is, like, one independent Ayleid realm in Interregnum bookmark?), I felt it's ok to buff them "a little" if you're playing "right way". As I said, ruler of Ayleid kingdom can adopt Ayleid religion by decision. This religion isn't exactly _good_, but it gives you access to Daedra worship (who need elven gods? still, you can follow them too, if you want), and, each some years, you'll get an event giving you some tech points (cultural, mainly) depending on the number of Ayleid ruins in your realm. Also unreformed Ayleids hates Tribal Organization and have short rule penalty triced.
  • Reformation was limited. I made Welkynd Stones doctrine mandatory, so you have one slot fixed, and banned from Temporal leadership. Ayleids were decentralized, and their empire was kind of minor kingdoms confederation, not "One to rule all" type. I also added special clause into "Charge Welkynd Network", which giving you Divine bloodline - it's now killing your current ruler. Leave your God Characters at the door indeed.
  • So, if a player want, he can play strange way: if he makes himself a Confederacy, is a king or an emperor, have his capital in Imperial City, have at least 5 Ayleid vassals in Cyrodiil, and have at least one High King title in his realm, he can reform his Confederacy into Imperial Commune (then reform commune and rebuild Potentate). It's very specific condition, so you can really safely ignore it; still, it was a story I liked to play.
It's supposed to be played with current (on the date and time of writing this) SVN version. Also I was used OP mod, but actually I don't think I'm using it a lot. You can't claim Umaril bloodline if you're Annuel after all, and if you form Ayleid empire it's block you from Cyrodiilic one, so I suppose it's just different stories behind Ayleids. Choices is good indeed. I'm playing with all DLCs, and actually can't be sure what did I use, but I believe you supposed to have Holy Fury for reformation at least.

So it goes.

Please tell me what do you think.

Attachments

• ayleid_religion.rar
    93,3 KB · Views: 20
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Ok, I made some more things.
Disclaimer: I didn't think balance, and I never do. It's story that matters, and stories aren't balanced.

• My approach is based on Laloriaran Dynar and city of Delodil, not on Umaril. Therefore, it's concentrated on "playing nice", approaching to restore Ayleid rule, but not Umaril "Kill-Alll-Mortals" the Unfeathered way, incorporating Men power structures, not just killing them all. It's better described as "Imperial aristocrats who happened to be Meric in origin". (Or, if you want, it's Imperial aristocrats are nedic people who adopted Ayleid style to live.)
  • The very point of Ayleid religion isn't, well, religion. As I wrote in event giving you Ayleid religion, "Ayleid nations never were too spiritual to begin with. Build around magical prowess and schools of magic unaccessable for anybody else, religion in modern understanding had little place in old city-states and Empire. Still, some forms of religious thought existed - Aldmeri panteon, mixed with Daedric veneration, with all kind of scholar's enlightenment, fuse in very specific ways into specific philosophy. Conflicts around different internal cults were quite usual, with cities fighting each other, and kings oppose practices of their brethren considered natural. It's hard to define Ayleidi religion today, but it's understood it was 'applied metaphysics' first, veneration in human (or even mer) understanding second. Still, our scholars and sorcerer kings fall when Empire crumbled, so it's hard to say what was real meaning of practices - and practices themselves are nearly lost."
  • So, it's built around reclaiming the glory of old days - not exactly in Thalmor way, again; there is men, ok, and that's not a divine affront. Ayleid kings were ok about ruling human subjects and even being human subjects - if there would no other way. Laloriaran Dynar was a vassal of Alessa.
  • As Ayleid starting as a small group of tribals, and quite usually vassals (I believe there is, like, one independent Ayleid realm in Interregnum bookmark?), I felt it's ok to buff them "a little" if you're playing "right way". As I said, ruler of Ayleid kingdom can adopt Ayleid religion by decision. This religion isn't exactly _good_, but it gives you access to Daedra worship (who need elven gods? still, you can follow them too, if you want), and, each some years, you'll get an event giving you some tech points (cultural, mainly) depending on the number of Ayleid ruins in your realm. Also unreformed Ayleids hates Tribal Organization and have short rule penalty triced.
  • Reformation was limited. I made Welkynd Stones doctrine mandatory, so you have one slot fixed, and banned from Temporal leadership. Ayleids were decentralized, and their empire was kind of minor kingdoms confederation, not "One to rule all" type. I also added special clause into "Charge Welkynd Network", which giving you Divine bloodline - it's now killing your current ruler. Leave your God Characters at the door indeed.
  • So, if a player want, he can play strange way: if he makes himself a Confederacy, is a king or an emperor, have his capital in Imperial City, have at least 5 Ayleid vassals in Cyrodiil, and have at least one High King title in his realm, he can reform his Confederacy into Imperial Commune (then reform commune and rebuild Potentate). It's very specific condition, so you can really safely ignore it; still, it was a story I liked to play.
It's supposed to be played with current (on the date and time of writing this) SVN version. Also I was used OP mod, but actually I don't think I'm using it a lot. You can't claim Umaril bloodline if you're Annuel after all, and if you form Ayleid empire it's block you from Cyrodiilic one, so I suppose it's just different stories behind Ayleids. Choices is good indeed. I'm playing with all DLCs, and actually can't be sure what did I use, but I believe you supposed to have Holy Fury for reformation at least.

So it goes.

Please tell me what do you think.
This is all very interesting and seems fun. I’m currently finishing up my own religion and planning on releasing it soon. After that there’ll be a few polishing updates. During that time I’ll to integrate this into the original submod and upload that separately. Good work on the religion!