Sub model: A question to naysayers.

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Genuine question:
If the old way of buying DLC will still be available-- Why do you NOT want the subscription model to exist alongside it for players who would not play otherwise?

Do Agree if you think its okay to have two payment ways.
Do Disagree if you want only the present payment way.
Do Helpful if don't care or is interested in what others say.

No strong emotions allowed here only curiosity.
Subscription is a tool of the devil. Its implementation will prove itself a serious risk to global health, peace, and security. I am, and always will be, a staunch opponent of such unethical and dangerous method of renting instead of purchasing.

• 5Haha
Reactions:
A lot of times it is mentioned that the subscription model is good for new players who dont want to buy the huge amount of DLC. This assumes that the basegame is just barebone minimum, set to bore you within the first week of play. I humbly disagree. A new player is fully satisfied with the basegame and it tonloead of features it offers. The new player dosn't need any DLC for month to come becouse of the sheer complexity the base game offers. I would dare to say that a begginer is more scared away by a game with all DLC active.

• 1Like
Reactions:
What we know from experience is that DLC model over time turns the game UI into a bloated mess by constantly adding new buttons to click. The feature creep has ruined my enjoyment of the game to a point where I no longer enjoy playing it.

The game needs a reset where they remove and streamline features, but that is not possible because the customers have paid money for the UI buttons.

One possibility would be to have a DLC circulation where they decomission the oldest DLCs and merge them into the base game.

• 2Like
Reactions:
A lot of times it is mentioned that the subscription model is good for new players who dont want to buy the huge amount of DLC. This assumes that the basegame is just barebone minimum, set to bore you within the first week of play. I humbly disagree. A new player is fully satisfied with the basegame and it tonloead of features it offers. The new player dosn't need any DLC for month to come becouse of the sheer complexity the base game offers. I would dare to say that a begginer is more scared away by a game with all DLC active.
Also it will be taboo to say, but I do wonder how much paradox is trying to turn people that decide they'll pirate the dlc after seeing the price into subscription paying customers. Yes they're not paying the full dlc price, but at least they're contributing something to your company

Reactions:
Also it will be taboo to say, but I do wonder how much paradox is trying to turn people that decide they'll pirate the dlc after seeing the price into subscription paying customers. Yes they're not paying the full dlc price, but at least they're contributing something to your company
They will still pirate since to most a subscription services for a single videogame is a collossal waste of money and a anti consumer business practice.

Reactions:
I'm sure that the recently added subscription to CK2 is a way of testing the player base to see how we'll react and if we are compliant enough to load it in the future games.

Pro-sub people here need to learn an important life skill: delayed gratification.

You don't need all the DLCs all the bells and whistles and day 1 on a game you just purchased.

If you can't afford the game. Save up and purchase it when you can, ideally in that time the game will have several patches and in a better state than day 1 purchasers who are essentially paying to beta test the game.

If we keep giving up control over the things we slave over this is what what we'll end up with.

1614277230339.png

But I wont be happy !

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
What we know from experience is that DLC model over time turns the game UI into a bloated mess by constantly adding new buttons to click. The feature creep has ruined my enjoyment of the game to a point where I no longer enjoy playing it.

The game needs a reset where they remove and streamline features, but that is not possible because the customers have paid money for the UI buttons.

One possibility would be to have a DLC circulation where they decomission the oldest DLCs and merge them into the base game.
I have no problem with a UI reset. I don't care if my buttons i payed for are here or there.

Reactions:
Its been discussed in previous pages that subscription is more economically prudent.
For whome?
Try to not derail the thread by belittling those you disagree with.
I don't think he intended to belittle people but is more concerned with the short attantion span a lot of people show these days, supported by the consumer ready no-time-for-pause attitude a lot of media is designed these days. Nonethereless I agree that to write:

..people here need to learn..
sounds arrogant. But given the context I am sure he dosn't meant to be.

• 2Like
Reactions:
For whome?

I don't think he intended to belittle people but is more concerned with the short attantion span a lot of people show these days, supported by the consumer ready no-time-for-pause attitude a lot of media is designed these days. Nonethereless I agree that to write:

sounds arrogant. But given the context I am sure he dosn't meant to be.
For everyone that hasn't been playing the game for years already, and are not sure whether they'll actually stick with it for years to come continually to justify the cost of buying the DLC packs.

A 5 bucks entry barrier to what having every pack plays like, is far less of an economic barrier than 14 (soon to be 15) separate DLC gameplay focused packs for a game you don't even know whether you'll like enough to invest that much in.

When paradox introduces a subscription to their content like this, it's not targeted at the forum goers on here that have 5000+ hours in the game already.

Reactions:
For everyone that hasn't been playing the game for years already, and are not sure whether they'll actually stick with it for years to come continually to justify the cost of buying the DLC packs.

A 5 bucks entry barrier to what having every pack plays like, is far less of an economic barrier than 14 (soon to be 15) separate DLC gameplay focused packs for a game you don't even know whether you'll like enough to invest that much in.

When paradox introduces a subscription to their content like this, it's not targeted at the forum goers on here that have 5000+ hours in the game already.
You are describing a scenario where I would start to buy the basegame at full price, play all month long and would be bored after this month. So you want to buy ALL DLC at once. This is in my opinion not what is happening in reality. I would buy this game discounted for 10 bucks and would be overwhelmed by just the complexity of the base game(my experience introducing new players). I guess beginners are challanged enought by just the basegame as of 1.30. For month. And after this you would start to buy DLC if the game still entertains you. One by one not all at once.

Reactions:
You are describing a scenario where I would start to buy the basegame at full price, play all month long and would be bored after this month. So you want to buy ALL DLC at once. This is in my opinion not what is happening in reality. I would buy this game discounted for 10 bucks and would be overwhelmed by just the complexity of the base game(my experience introducing new players). I guess beginners are challanged enought by just the basegame as of 1.30. For month. And after this you would start to buy DLC if the game still entertains you. One by one not all at once.

The base game just was (or is?) part of a humble bundle (which I think you could get it as much as 88% off). That is how they got me many years ago. Got the base and a few expansion in a humble bundle for little money. I liked it so I watched for sales and eventually caught up enjoying it while I went since I didn't want to spend full price for it.

Reactions:
Its been discussed in previous pages that subscription is more economically prudent.
Try to not derail the thread by belittling those you disagree with.

I stand by what I said. Subscription is not a good practice for us the consumers and is definitely not a better economic option.

1x payment vs constant payments its no contest.

You cant afford a payment one month or you get financial difficulty = you get nothing, no fun for you.

Granted its only £5 a month but if you cant afford the £10 plus for a DLC but can afford the monthly fee you would just wait surely and purchase outright. As said previously you don't need to purchase all the DLC and may not want it in your game. I never use the Horse Lords DLC in cK2 unless I'm playing them for example.

If people want to try out different DLC features then you can jump into Multiplayer where you can use all the DLC features for free. This has become a reality because of having separate paid DLC. Otherwise Multiplayer would be impossible due to the number of DLC packs they have to let everyone get the benefit.

No matter the company or however well intentioned they WILL over reach. If they can have a full subscription model they will do so if the benefits outweigh the costs. It wont be a dev decision it will come from above. We should always resist it or we will see EU 5 with less content so that it can be drip fed to meet a subscription model.

Reactions:
Because subscription models are something that I sign up for to use a product briefly. To see if it worth it. Then purchase it wholesale if I'm satisfied.

Paying for a subscription in the long term is just economically a poor decision from the view of the user as alain1995 pointed out.
Funny enought for us who grew up before steam existed this was the point we made to not install steam becouse you can't give the cd. Funny how times change.

But I believe subsription to be a moral desaster. I prefere to own stuff instead of paying for just using it. Practibility wise its ok and doable but I believe it a red line i don't like to cross. My steam library is full and I own all curent paradox mayor titles. But I just can't play them all at once. e.g. I havn't touched I:R for month prior to the Mauricius update. Sub and unsubbing it every other month is a micro I hoped I left behind when porting to steam.
Except some games do allow you to play offline even if you bought them through steam. You just need to be aware which are which...

Reactions: