• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Jaidal

General
147 Badges
Oct 4, 2008
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • BATTLETECH
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Tyranny: Gold Edition
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Empire of Sin
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Surviving Mars
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings II
  • For The Glory
  • King Arthur II
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • March of the Eagles
  • Sengoku
  • Rise of Prussia
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars Pre-Order
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
First off, I did not create this sub-mod, but I figured a thread for it would be useful in trying to update it and to post bugs with it separate from SWMH.

superskierpat has now worked to get it up to date:

UPDATE: Speak English Dammit! Version 1.0.1.1

The first update for SED has now been released.

Download here. Note that this is the full mod, not an incremental update. It replaces your current install.

Saves should be compatible.

Please report any typos, glaring localisations and etc. on this thread, I'll fix them as soon as possible. And if you wish to directly help with the mod, you can easily use Github to push desired changes into the beta version, if controversial, they will be discussed in the thread before intergration.

Changes:
General:
  • Fixed a few typos**
  • Updated all files to HIP 2014-03-08
Dynamic Naming:
  • Scandinavian and Saxon England now called Aengland*
Localisations:
  • Found forgotten localisations in new SWMH files, so added them to SED**
Hotfix:
  • Fixed .mod dependencies
* Up for debate of course
** See github for detailed list of changes

PS: I suggest to directly copy paste the SED files over the HIP files, but only if you never plan to use the normal SWMH localisations.
PPS: Reuploaded a fix for the .mod file.

Last edited:
England, Ireland, Scotland, and Egypt all need proper localizations, at least at the 1066 start date. As of now, even with SED they are Anglieterre, Eire, Alba, and Misr. I'd also recommend making the Fatimid dynasty just Fatimid, instead of Banu Fatimiyyun, because of the common usage of "Fatimid" in English. But I don't know if that is under the domain of this sub-mod.

Thanks for this thread.

As noted, k_makuria and d_blemmyes need fixing.

In addition, searching for "d_" leads to a ton of other titles. What I found:
d_alwahat
d_trakai
d_hilal
d_massufa
d_lamtuna
d_lamta
d_guddala
d_targa
d_lawata
d_soninke
d_dugula
d_chester

Most of these are Sahara tribes.

Searching for "b_" leads to even more, but barony names are less problematic because they're less visible. I don't feel like listing them, just go into the game and search "b_" in the title search screen.

Searching for "e_" leads to entries for a French Holy Roman Empire and a certain "e_germany", neither of which are localised.

Some Arab cultures have their duke titles localised as "Emirato" instead of "Emirate". The title for some Sahara/West African leaders is "RA'ÍS", probably shouldn't be.

As I've said earlier in the SWMH thread, I'd be interested on doing some serious work on the SED! sub-mod, I'd probably get into it after I finish the current ACR update.

But in the meantime, this thread is a good idea to gather ideas and discuss fixes.

My suggestions are these:
First, give a english localisation for every kingdom and most duchies, counties are less important.
Second, keeping a few of the swmh cultural names for titles could be a good idea, especially those who have an anglicized or semi-anglicized version that is sufficiently different from the english name.
Third, merging my High Kings and Consuls mod with SED!, that way we keep the idea of english words, but do not lose all the swmh immersion.

England, Ireland, Scotland, and Egypt all need proper localizations, at least at the 1066 start date. As of now, even with SED they are Anglieterre, Eire, Alba, and Misr.
I'm pretty sure that's due to the dynamic name changes in the landed_titles section of SWMH and cannot be changed until Captain Gars potentially changes things.

I'm pretty sure that's due to the dynamic name changes in the landed_titles section of SWMH and cannot be changed until Captain Gars potentially changes things.
Well it would be quite easy to include a modified version of the landed_titles files in SED! where the dynamic naming is not used (Either deleted or commented out). But isnt Alba used in vanila anyways?

Well it would be quite easy to include a modified version of the landed_titles files in SED! where the dynamic naming is not used (Either deleted or commented out). But isnt Alba used in vanila anyways?

Not sure, as I tend to avoid vanilla myself. However, I think the issue is whether or not the SWMH team agrees to that being changed in that fashion.

Last edited:
I don't see the point of SED if we're stuck with Anglieterre for England. It's exactly the kind of thing that makes me to use the submod.

Hello, two other guys and I did the Anglicized localisation files a long time ago, and Jaidal is correct that this is the main reason many realms are still in foreign language (that they are not in fact in localisation files at all, but landed_titles). This could be fixed relatively simply, and I could do it, but the problem would be every time the SWMH team change landed_titles (which would be virtually every time they update anything), they would have to do it twice in a SED! version of landed_titles. I'm not sure they would be interested in maintaining that.

I would also note that some titles that do not directly translate to King, Duke, Count, etc., such as Greek titles, I left intentionally unchanged, as this would be inaccurate.

Other things, like the Fatimids (banu Fatimiyyun) is in dynasties and would create more work for SWMH to maintain if updated.

Hello, two other guys and I did the Anglicized localisation files a long time ago, and Jaidal is correct that this is the main reason many realms are still in foreign language (that they are not in fact in localisation files at all, but landed_titles). This could be fixed relatively simply, and I could do it, but the problem would be every time the SWMH team change landed_titles (which would be virtually every time they update anything), they would have to do it twice in a SED! version of landed_titles. I'm not sure they would be interested in maintaining that.

I would also note that some titles that do not directly translate to King, Duke, Count, etc., such as Greek titles, I left intentionally unchanged, as this would be inaccurate.

Other things, like the Fatimids (banu Fatimiyyun) is in dynasties and would create more work for SWMH to maintain if updated.
In theory, it wouldn't actually be too difficult to make a small program to simply strip out all culture-specific localisation in the landed_titles file.

this part is ARKOpack's^^
but i won't maintain it myself but you can add this file to to your submod. only left consideration is the technical aspect of HIP installer to deal with that file correctly (same issue is expected with landed_titles). Meneth would clarify this if possible.

I wouldn't mind some parts of dynamic naming system left in place, though, like in Iberia where most of the titles change names between Spanish, Portuguese, Catalan, Basque, Arabic, and French depending on who's holding it. Obviously I dislike things like Anglieterre, but I think for less prominent places (generally ones where English uses the local name) it should be kept. And some titles, too, like the Greek ones and others that are used in English (i.e. Tsar, Jarl, etc.).

On the side of updates, things like Arabic titles should be renamed in this mod, too--a lot of them have good Anglicisations--Damascus instead of Dimashq, etc.