• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
A

andrefortes

The "Iberian Project" is a HIP sub-mod which originally intended to fix a few issues I found when playing in the Iberian Peninsula, specifically related to characters, dynasties, titles, and a bit of culture. The mod still addresses these issues, but I also expanded it a tiny bit further.

*Made the Empire of Spain a title created only by a special decision, which when enacted grants you the trait "Imperator totius Hispaniae", but damages your relations with the Pope, the Roman Emperor in Constantinople, and the Holy Roman Emperor. There is also a similar trait for historical characters who claimed the title, such as Alfonso VI.

*Adds the Kingdom of the Visigoths (although impossible to create), respective history and dynasties.

*Overhauled localisation for Iberian cultures.

*Vanilla flags restored to vanilla Portuguese provinces, and addition of new flags to those introduced by SWMH, removing the constant and anachronistic gyronny flags.

There are two versions of this mod, one for those who use MiniSWMH, and another for those who do not. The following are the HIP modules installed during the creation of this sub-mod:
[HIP Release 2018-06-21 (Hydra6)]
EMF: Extended Mechanics & Flavor (v8.06 - 2018-06-21)
SWMH (v3.12 - 2018-06-21)
LTM (C - 2017-12-09)
CPRplus (v2.9.4 - 2018-05-02)
MiniSWMH: Performance-Friendly SWMH (v1.3.7-BETA - 2018-05-13) - OPTIONAL

Version 1.2.5

*Added decision to form the Order of Avis (both Catholic and Orthodox versions).

*Made the "d_aviscatholic" title inactive before 1175.

############################
Version 1.2.4

*Fixed history of Castillan and Leonese characters (for the second time).

*Added the Order of Avis as a vassalized Portuguese Holy Order with all Grand Masters up until HIP's latest bookmark. It currently doesn't spawn as the other Holy Orders do, so it only appears in any post-1175 bookmarks.

*Added the House de Lanhoso, a minor Portuguese noble house.

*As an extra unrelated to Iberia, fixed the Zagwe and Solomonid family trees of Ethiopia.

Version 1.2.3

*Fixed Castilian and Leonese character history. In other words, the "House de Castella" should now be completely exterminated (again).

Version 1.2.2

*Made mod compatible with Hydra6.

Version 1.2.1:

*Fixed Portuguese and Galician localisation.

Version 1.2:

*Added dynastic kings of the Suebi Kingdom of Galicia.

*Added a new government flavour (Cortes) to specific Iberian cultures.

*Fixed decision to become Emperor of Spain.

Version 1.1.1:

*Decision to become Emperor of Spain is now only available to independent kings, preventing emperors to have the decision.

*You no longer need to have either the Titular Kingdom of Galicia or the Duchy of Toledo as your personal titles. Instead, you simply need to completely control those areas.

Version 1.1:

*Made the Empire of Spain a title created only by a special decision.

*Added a new special trait, the "Imperator totius Hispaniae", which is automatically attributed to the holder of "e_spain". Much like the Augustus trait, it gets taken away if the holder loses the title. There is also a secondary similar trait, which I gave to historical individuals who claimed the title of Emperor of All Spain.

*Added a titular Kingdom of Algarve, creatable only by those who hold the Kingdom of Portugal and completley control the Duchy (Condado) of Algarve.

*Made changes to the localisation of most Iberian cultures. Removed the "Duchies", as those only came to existence after the timeframce of CK2, instead replacing them with "Counties", and made the counties "Lordships" (or at least the cultural equivalent of such). The Basque culture, however, remained unchanged.

*Restored vanilla flags for Portuguese provinces, as those are more accurate than the constant use of Gyronny, which is only part of the modern flag of those cities, and not of the coat of arms itself. Added new COA to the Portuguese provinces added by the HIP.

*Changed Trancoso to Guarda.

*Altered the barony stucture of c_lisboa.

*Added Visigothic Kings to the history of Galicia.

Version 1.0:

*Adds the Balti/Balting dynasty to the game, together with their connections to the Ostrogothic Amali and the Merovings of France.

*Removes the "House de Toledo", together with duplicate characters. The Lywigildiana clan and related families are restored, and respective characters added to the history of the Visigothic Kingdom.

*Adds a connection between the Lywigildiana clan and the family of Emperor Maurice I (despite the dubiety of the link, much like the majority of family links during this period of Iberian history). Also adds a connection between King Erwigo of the Visigoths and Pedro de Cantabria.

*Speaking of Maurice, made Pavlos his father, fixing the tiny family tree.

*Removes the "House de Castilla", distributing its members across new and pre-existing families, such as the "House de Cantabria", the "House de Branosera", the "Beni Mamduna", and the "Beni Gómez" families. The "de Lara" dynasty has also been fixed due to these changes.

*Due to the contradictory sources regarding the origins of the Vela family, two distinct "House Vela" were added to solve this issue, and to keep the family trees clean.

*Removed several characters from the "Ponce de Léon" family, adding them to the correct Vela family, while making Ponce Velaz the founder of the Ponce de Léon dynasty.

*Adds a titular (and impossible to create) Kingdom of the Visigoths, and a similar predecessor duke-level title, the "(Petty) Kingdom of the Tervings".

*Fixed title history for the Duchy-level "Condado de Castilla", and some of its counties.

*Adds members of the Amali dynasty to the title history of k_italy, such as Theoderic the Great.

*Adds King and Duke-level localisation to the Visigothic culture.

*Changes and adds localisation for the Portuguese and Galician cultures.

*Fixes issues with names in Iberian cultures.

*Removes "_Isabella", replacing it with "_Elizabeth". As a bonus, the name which follows after the underscore for all variations of Elizabeth has been standardised.

Attachments

• IBP_1.2.5.zip
    862,2 KB · Views: 173
  • IBP_MiniSWMH_1.2.5.zip
    850,3 KB · Views: 52
Last edited by a moderator:
Nice. Keep it up. ;)

When you refer to flags added by HIP, do you mean the Arkopack ones, or changes made in SWMH itself?

We have added provinces to Portugal, that are not in Vanilla. They need flags too, so flags have been made from scratch for the extra provinces

I'm not quite sure how Andrefortes can restore vanilla flags to provinces that doesn't even exist in vanilla though :)

I've discovered a potential bug: When this sub-mod is active, I saw the "amass wealth"-ambition appear twice. Once I disabled it, I only see it once. Could you look into that?

I'll try to find what's wrong. Which is odd, because the mod doesn't touch the ambition files.

We have added provinces to Portugal, that are not in Vanilla. They need flags too, so flags have been made from scratch for the extra provinces

I'm not quite sure how Andrefortes can restore vanilla flags to provinces that doesn't even exist in vanilla though :)

Not the new ones. Just to those that already existed in the vanilla game, such as Lisbon and Porto. The flags for the new provinces were made using the SVG from Wikipedia.

I've been playing in this area with this mod, and I have some suggestions about the empire creation decision.

First, because Galicia is titular, it seems weird to require it. Could the condition be changed to either you own it or nobody does?

Second, because Toledo is a duchy, I feel like it should be good enough to have it as a vassal instead of personally owning that duchy.

Also, it seems to be running fine with Hydra4.1. No crashes or obvious bugs anyway. I haven't had any issue with duplicated ambitions either.

I've been playing in this area with this mod, and I have some suggestions about the empire creation decision.

First, because Galicia is titular, it seems weird to require it. Could the condition be changed to either you own it or nobody does?

Second, because Toledo is a duchy, I feel like it should be good enough to have it as a vassal instead of personally owning that duchy.

Also, it seems to be running fine with Hydra4.1. No crashes or obvious bugs anyway. I haven't had any issue with duplicated ambitions either.

I'll see about implementing those changes. However, I would not suggest using this mod with the current version of HIP, as (apparently) there were modifications made to the files this sub-mod uses.

Version 1.1.1 has been released.

The Iberian Project is now compatible with Hydra4.1, and there is now an extra version of the mod for those who use MiniSWMH.

Does this mod include new more accurate provinces or especial events for the iberian kingdoms? :)

Rather than direct this towards andrefortes, we would appreciate that you directed it towards us. In his submod, only a minority of HIP users can benefit from changing the province setup, in the main mod, every user can benefit from it.

Which of the Iberian provinces do you think could use improvement? Our Iberian setup was done by our now-retired, Spanish SWMH devs, and the setup is by no means infallible, it could certainly use some reviewing. And if you've been following SWMH for a period of time, you would know that we make decisions, that we backtrack on all the time.

As a side note, I think HIP overestimates the extent of Islam-majority areas in the Iberian Peninsula in the year 867.

The Culture and religious setup of Iberia is actually almost entirely imported from Vanilla if i remember correctly. Both for 867 and 1066. Do you have any suggestions as to which parts of it can be changed and what do you base your suggestions upon? We like checking suggestions, before implementing them

Last edited:
Rather than direct this towards andrefortes, we would appreciate that you directed it towards us. In his submod, only a minority of HIP users can benefit from changing the province setup, in the main mod, every user can benefit from it.

Which of the Iberian provinces do you think could use improvement? Our Iberian setup was done by our now-retired, Spanish SWMH devs, and the setup is by no means infallible, it could certainly use some reviewing. And if you've been following SWMH for a period of time, you would know that we make decisions, that we backtrack on all the time.

The Culture and religious setup of Iberia is actually almost entirely imported from Vanilla if i remember correctly. Both for 867 and 1066. Do you have any suggestions as to which parts of it can be changed and what do you base your suggestions upon? We like checking suggestions, before implementing them
Actually, I have a couple of questions related to this. Are counties considered either 100% Sunni muslim or 100% Catholic? The relevance of this question is: during conversion, is there only an x% chance per month/year of conversion, or does it actually happen gradually? Is there a "hidden" Catholic population which eventually become's the county's religion when it is the majority?

We have no minorites in HIP as a whole or in SWMH specifically, so no, counties are not considered 100% Sunni or 100% Catholic. The best we can do is guesstimate to a reasonable degree, which group would be the majority in the province.

Just to pull an example, the Muslim world contains a wide variety of minorities, that we sadly can't portray, because there is no minorities. Sephardi Jews of Iberia, Mandeans of Southern Iraq, Jacobites in most Muslim provinces in Syria, Copts in every Muslim province in Egypt, the Old Yishuv Jewish community of Palestine, Nestorians in most Muslim provinces of Iraq, even in the same areas as the Mandeans, and i could keep going

Last edited:

From my knowledge on the matter which admittedly is not much arabization happened faster than islamization and primarily on urbanised areas (the south and east if I recall correctly) while intolerance towards the dhimmi only escalated towards the reign of the Almoravids in the 11th century. Furthermore the spanish wikipedia page (which I'd take with a grain of salt) cites some Richard Bulliet's 'Conversion to Islam in the Medieval Period' in saying that christians would have made up 95% of the population in the first century of islamic rule and had declined to 50% towards the 11th century.

So if I were to make an educated guess: in the 867 scenario around half the provinces should be andalusian while perhaps 20% of provinces would be muslim (both probably around the southern coast and especially in cities); In later bookmarks most provinces would be andalusian but only about 50% would be muslim, and towards the 12th century I think it would be safe to assume christians would be a large minority in most provinces but a minority nonetheless, and as such not represented in the game.