• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
It might be an idea to reset some of the succession laws, when or where native dynasties were replaced by foreigners; or when (gradually) features from other cultures where adopted.

In case of the former, in the British Isles, that would mostly be Normans (and their successors); in case of the latter AFAIK (might be wrong) Scotland (at least their monarch and (part of the) nobility) did adopt Norman or even continental feudal ideas, at least from the reign of David I of Scotland (onwards).

An interesting idea, though I'm not sure how you would reset laws, except by banning certain laws for certain cultures, e.g. banning tanistry for the Normans

It's possible to limit certain succession laws for certain cultures.

However it often might suffice, if the history file would be edited (again) at the date, that this happens.

It's possible to limit certain succession laws for certain cultures.

However it often might suffice, if the history file would be edited (again) at the date, that this happens.

Right, I'll add that to the planned ideas. Do you have any information on Norman laws? Were there different Norman laws in Normandy, Norman England, Norman Ireland, Scotland, Wales, etc.? Years/counties/duchies/kingdoms/etc.?

If you do have any info that you could provide, could you post it in the format I've described in the first post?

I'll also look into limiting laws for certain cultures. Any info about this would also be a great help. I suppose banning tanistry for the Normans is already a given (if it is not already banned).

Last edited:
Last edited:
Could someone tell me what this line of code means?

Code:
                OR = {
                    culture_group = celtic
                    AND = {
                        [COLOR=#FF0000]ai = no[/COLOR]
                        NOT = {
                            OR = {
                                trait = content
                                trait = craven
                                trait = slothful
                                trait = stressed
Means that players can bypass the Celtic culture requirement if they also meet those other requirements below ai = no.

Yay! Any chance you could add my namesake's kingdom? I requested this of SWMH a little while ago, but they ignored it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_Breifne

It would just involve splitting Cabhain off from Leitrim in 1256. Creating the titular duchy of East Breifne styled "Kingdom of Breifne Ui Raghallaigh" is totally optional. The genealogy of Raghallaigh kings of East Briefne is right there. Adding Ui Raghallaighs as Cabhain-ruling vassals of the Ua Ruaircs from 1161 on is also totally optional. Cosidering the crazy history of the Ua Ruaircs vis-a-vis the kingdom of Connacht (which they occasionally ruled, and became a part of, at points after 1256) is also totally optional.

Failing your interest, if I gave you code for all of this except the Connacht stuff (which I don't care about enough at the moment), would you consider merging it?

Last edited:
Yay! Any chance you could add my namesake's kingdom? I requested this of SWMH a little while ago, but they ignored it.

It would just involve splitting Cabhain off from Leitrim in 1256. Creating the titular duchy of East Breifne styled "Kingdom of Breifne Ui Raghallaigh" is totally optional. The genealogy of Raghallaigh kings of East Briefne is right there. Adding Ui Raghallaighs as Cabhain-ruling vassals of the Ua Ruaircs from 1161 on is also totally optional. Cosidering the crazy history of the Ua Ruaircs vis-a-vis the kingdom of Connacht (which they occasionally ruled, and became a part of, at points after 1256) is also totally optional.

Failing your interest, if I gave you code for all of this except the Connacht stuff (which I don't care about enough at the moment), would you consider merging it?

Considered. You may give me the code if you wish which would be a great help if you want to see it implemented. If it does get integrated I'll be sure to give you credit for it.

Considered. You may give me the code if you wish which would be a great help if you want to see it implemented. If it does get integrated I'll be sure to give you credit for it.

Okay, added to my to do list sometime between today and tomorrow, whenever I update my own mod. Nothing like a couple more hours of staring at Editra to make going back to school again seem like relaxation.

If I may comment to this.

Please consider, that we usualy do larger updates and they usualy take some time.. and that we usualy release bugfixes only briefly after a new version is released.
And after that we work on larger updates again and take all suggestions which emerge in the meantime.

It is impossible to do minor updates every week or so, if we're working on overhauls, which take months to be completed.
Sorry, we are not supermodders who are able to keep comment and always discuss everything and it may happen that you don't even get an answer, epsecialy when the team member responsible for Ireland is recently vacant.

Sorry if it hurts you personaly, but it does not mean you are ignored ;)

Last edited:

Why does it have to be a duchy?

One question.

Should HSL be loaded earlier than HIP ?:unsure:

I'm not entirely sure what you mean, but I think the answer to your question is no, or rather it doesn't matter what way you install them (as long as you install HIP with the required modules for HSL - see the first post). The mod load order has already been determined by me in the .mod file. It will load my work on top of the HIP mod, once you start the game.

If you could somehow implement a Rota System for the Kievan Rus', I would love you forever and ever!

I'm not sure that it would be possible. The mechanics of the succession laws are hardcoded, and I certainly won't be able to make new ones. If you have any suggestions for what currently existing succession law might be the most suitable for Kievan Rus then be sure to let me know. Agnatic seniority maybe?

What have you called the Titular Kingdom of Ireland, and is it required to form the De Jure Kingdom of Ireland?

Well, at the moment it is just known as the Ríocht of Éire (hmmm, might change that to Ard Ríocht when I get the chance), the same as de jure Ireeland. Everything about it is supposed to look the same as de jure Ireland, except with no de jure land. The point was to best simulate the High King of Irelandposition as it actually was in history (with opposition and what not).

No, it is not required to create the de jure Kingdom of Ireland. Once the de jure version gets created, the titular one immediately gets destroyed, regardless of who owns the titular one and who created the de jure one. The point is the people of Ireland now recognise their de jure king.

Why does it have to be a duchy?

I think he generally meant petty kingdom, which is what it should be.