• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
i broke out into laughter when i saw that someone declared war on you again, i think you need to put all your efforts into haveing 200 relations with bavaria and burgundy, look on the bright side maybe you can ally with italy against tuscany (but i can't see that happening judgeing by your luck up till now).

good luck it looks like your gonna need it.

Feedback

Avindian
: I think at this point I was cordial with Tuscany, who weren't increasing their influence at all, and neutral with everyone else.

Malurous: Trying to get colonies is becoming futile, since in the converted games it seems nearly everyone (except Japan, Pegu and the Iroquois) civilises. And the Incas make up 11% of Pristina province (I'll read it all soon, I promise ;))

TugoTugo: In normal Victoria 2 Austria is huge and yet I can't remember the last time it beat a country in a war that wasn't Denmark. I have less than half the land that Austria would have, and Yugoslavia isn't particularly densely populated, unlike Czechia or Hungary. No wonder Bavaria and Tuscany are beating me in wars.

spiller68: Good to hear you're enjoying it! I did try to improve relations with Bavaria, but I get a -4 per month penalty for having cores on them. I don't think Burgundy will bother me much any more. At least, I hope they don't. They've been quiet since 1836.

Italy isn't friendly towards me at all, because I have Italian cores like Venice and Dalmatia.

Chapter 6

styriax48.jpg

Asian colonies, take two. This time it's Pegu, which is very far from being civilised and has just two brigades.

styriax49.jpg

Drat. Before I can enforce my demands on Pegu, Great Power Ming intervenes. Pegu doesn't border Ming, though, so it's a stalemate.

styriax50.jpg

Hmm.

I could use this to my advantage. That's a coalition of Burgundy, Russia, and Czechoslovakia, among others. Since it doesn't take a great deal of men to deal with hordes of Chinese invading Peru and Italy (yes, really):

styriax51.jpg

Die, Bavaria.

styriax52.jpg

This just out of the blue from Ming.

Things are looking up for Styria.

styriax53.jpg

Great success!

The warscore was 6% in my favour. I made peace with Britain, who was occupying Siena, to repay Siena's debts - this meant Britain wasn't occupying it any more, the warscore went up, and Bavaria was willing to cede Slovenia.

styriax54.jpg

Erk.

That doesn't look good, but I have sufficient troops to destroy the European rebels.

styriax55.jpg

I don't have sufficient troops to beat the South American rebels.

styriax56.jpg

I did this to make Italy go away. Now I can build another navy and sail to South America.

styriax57.jpg

Just what I need right now.

styriax58.jpg

Situation in South America a little later. Brittany has forgotten that to fight a war it needs either troops or a big, powerful ally, so nothing's happening in that regard. I can't sort out the rebels, either, as I can't get the clippers to build the ships.

styriax59.jpg

We might see a few of these yet to come.

styriax60.jpg

Hooray.

Now this is just crazy. Non-stop war for 60 more years, or until you actually get a break. But, I'm still interested in the AAR, and want to see how it continues :) . Good luck.

MrQwerty: I was working here on the assumption that "it could always get worse". It did. Good to hear you're still interested, in the next chapter I was on the verge of giving up.

sprites: The two soldier NFs on my most populated states (Croatia, two Serbia) haven't had a great deal of peace-time to work, so my brigade numbers were dwindling, and my tech was hardly perfect. I'm just a Bavarian snack.

Chapter 7​

styriax62.jpg

I had no chance.

I maintain if I build up my army I can defeat Bavaria. Thanks to Czechoslovakia, it's in three bits, too. But one of the bits has lots of soldiers in and neighbours only me.

styriax61.jpg

I don't expect anything to happen in this war.

styriax63.jpg

styriax64-1.jpg

Just when I thought I could get South America back under control… grr.

Oddly, the reactionaries all seem to be Austrian-cultured. My guess would be that the militant Serbs, Swiss and Native Americans are all nationalists rather than reactionaries.

styriax65.jpg

Bavaria is at war with a coalition including world #1 Ming, world #5 Czechoslovakia and world #7 Spain.

styriax66.jpg

But Ming ends the war fairly quickly. I won some battles, but lost some, and occupied a little territory. Bavaria's ally Great Britain was winning in South America, though.

I'll have to wait longer for Bavaria to be weakened.

styriax67.jpg

Brittany doesn't have a lot of friends, and there are three wars directed against it, including those of Czechoslovakia, Bavaria and Spain. I'm going to try and reclaim what I lost to them, marked as "Breton Styria".

styriax69.jpg

Once Czechoslovakia was finished bashing Brittany it and Russia decided to intervene on Brittany's side against me. This meant the war-score fell to practically zero, and I was forced to bow to their and Russia's demands. A massive reactionary rebellion didn't help, which cuts my army almost in half.

Irritatingly Bavaria took Bulgaria from Tuscany, and I border Bulgaria. Now, if I have to fight Bavaria, I have to fight far more troops, since their largest part has the most troops in.

The prestige loss caused me to fall to 16th place.

styriax68.jpg

Another war to fight. Fortunately I have ships and Transylvania doesn't.

It has 57 brigades. Look:

styriax70.jpg

Not a good situation.

styriax71.jpg

What?

Last edited:
Chapter 8

styriax72.jpg

Unfortunately, Dai Nam is very powerful. I'm going to save the soldiers and sail them away to Croatia, where they'll likely be killed by Transylvanians.

South America's carpeted in reactionaries again.

Here's how Styria is doing 50 years after the start, and how I've messed up the country.

styriax73.jpg

Europe. Transylvania is winning the war.

I have Epirus on my side but they don't seem to be doing very much. They're using one brigade to occupy Kosovo and the other 14 are in Athens.

styriax74.jpg

South America, a fairly hopeless situation.

styriax75.jpg

Southeast Asia, where I'm on the verge of caving in to Dai Nam's demands.

styriax76.jpg

And the budget screen. All POPs have been taxed into space since Day 1.

styriax77.jpg

The climax of the war, hopefully. I feel the Styrian army (this is all of it bar the Swiss troops and three brigades in Peru) is being pushed into the sea by Transylvanian troops. Only I haven't a flotilla of fishing ships to get them home.

styriax78.jpg

Damn.

Siebenbürgen took advantage of the fact that the Bank of Styria is now empty and unable to feed soldiers. They were swiftly annihilated in the forests of Bosnia.

Now I'm relying on 45k Epirote soldiers to repel Transylvanian troops, which is looking unlikely at best. I dispatched a stack to attempt to deal with Venetian rebels in Venice, but the rebels defeated them.

The 33,000 soldiers in Switzerland are useless, as the only way I can get them out is with military access through Bavaria or Tuscany, both of whom hate Styria.

Italy defeated the transport fleet shortly after this picture was taken, and with nowhere obvious to go, they have decided to retreat from the Adriatic to Montevideo.

styriax79.jpg

Yes!

This took a couple of years of fiercely rejecting peace treaties, putting militancy at 10 and war exhaustion at 100%. But Bavaria and Czechoslovakia decided to have another of their fights. Siebenbürgen sided with Czechoslovakia, and Bavaria took over some Transylvanian-occupied areas and handed them back to Styria.

styriax80.jpg

So soon? 72 brigades, already?

I'm sure that's fewer than five years since they signed a peace treaty. That ought to be a truce-breaker.

Czechoslovakia's joined in. Yay.

styriax81.jpg

This war is going significantly less well than the previous one. Czechoslovakia refuses to negotiate for anything less than Bosnia and Styrian Lima and now Transylvania wants Croatia, my most populated state, too.

I fear this could be the dissolution of the Styrian Republic.

Czechoslovakia is occupying the region around the capital and it's only a matter of time before the under-fed, under-paid Styrian peasants face the Transylvanian war machine.

styriax82.jpg

styriax83.jpg

Here's how the war is going in early 1893. Styrian armies in the Balkans, Austria, and Switzerland were quickly thrashed with few casualties for the Czechs and Transylvanians.

South America is yet to suffer the same fate. If it does, I will be fully occupied and the peace terms forced on me.

Dai Nam has declared war.

My current hope is to wait to 1896 when the Czech-Bavarian truce runs out and Bavaria inevitably attacks. Then Czechoslovakia might see fit to take a white peace, though it is unlikely.

I'm not happy about ceding Croatia or Bosnia, but I can live without Lima.

styriax84.jpg

The last army in Europe has been annihilated. There are six brigades left, all of which are in America.

Transylvania has added another wargoal, for part of Serbia. Should they take peace, I would be left with just Dalmatia.

styriax85.jpg

"Dear rest of the world,

Please invade me.

Best wishes, Styria"

Barring Styria inventing nuclear weapons, I would say your chances aren't very good.

Feedback

spiller68
: I enjoyed playing Styria, but I'm going to see this through to the bitter end. I am writing the last chapter at the moment.

Avindian: My thoughts too. The previous strategy of "decline every peace offer" worked out rather well. So I will do it again.

sprites: In about 1896 I was seriously considering just taking the peace offer and giving up there and then. To form Germany requires Great Power status and Bavaria-flattening or rebels, both of which are looking very unlikely even if I do escape from the war unscathed.

TugoTugo: Had I moved my capital to somewhere in Peru, I'd be drowned in a sea of immigrants, thanks to having all the reforms passed and democracy status. That would explode the military and economy, in a good way. There's no way to move one's capital in Victoria 2, so it stays Judenburg to 1936.

Chapter 9

styriax86.jpg

This is… good? I thought the words "Bavaria" and "war" were always followed by something bad. Turns out Bavaria is well on its way to becoming Germany, and all it needs is Aachen off Burgundy and some bits of Czechoslovakia.

I'm in their sphere but they don't want an alliance.

styriax87.jpg

Bavaria's done nothing Vietnam-wise and I have been attacked in South America. The war's dragged on for most of the decade. Styria will never surrender!

styriax88.jpg

Well timed, peasants. You only do this when Styria's at war (all the time).

styriax89.jpg

Bavaria is Styria's new friend; they're even helping to clean up rebels in Bolivia.

They're coming in against Czechoslovakia on my side, now that I'm in an alliance with them and in their sphere. Straightaway the warscore is down from -70% to -5.

Hopefully my resolute refusal to sign for peace has paid off.

Meanwhile I hit 2 million Austrians, which allows me to have 5 NFs.

styriax90.jpg

Bavaria wangles a white peace from Transylvania and Czechoslovakia, and after a while, Dai Nam too. I can now begin to rebuild Styria and its army from a decade or so of war.

styriax91.jpg

Tuscany's entangled with wars against Russia and Spain, so it's my turn to get my own back on them for their endless wars for Venetia.

They have had their reserves mobilised since about 1870 when they tried to reclaim their debts from Paraguay, but weren't interested in sailing to Trinidad and Tobago.

styriax92.jpg

It's for Lombardia, one of their most populous states. I haven't called in Bavaria, but I can reserve that option for when I start losing.

styriax93.jpg

Russia, Portugal, Spain and Epirus utterly crushed the Tuscan troops, and all I had to fight were Tuscan communists and reactionaries. I offered peace when another reactionary rebellion exploded across Styria.

Lombardia alone was worth 124 points, all of them industry, and has a population of one million.

I never mobilised.

styriax94.jpg

Transylvania stole Vojvodina from me. Since they're being thoroughly squished by Bavaria, I have one choice:

styriax95.jpg

Czechoslovakia came to their aid, but Great Britain, a secondary power, came to mine. Czechoslovakia could bring in Ming, which would be game over.

styriax96.jpg

I'm winning! Whee!

Hopefully Czechoslovakia will be willing to negotiate.

styriax97.jpg

The Chinese are coming!

There are 3 wars underway at the moment.

1. Bavaria vs. Ming, Czechoslovakia, Silesia, Sweden, Lithuania, Persia, and some little countries (29%)
2. Russia and Korea vs. Bavaria, Burgundy, Great Britain, and Bavaria's minions, including Styria (-7%)
3. Styria, Great Britain and others vs. Czechoslovakia and Transylvania. (22%)

None are Great Wars, sadly.

styriax98.jpg

Bavaria, as can be seen, is losing badly to a coalition of Czechoslovakia, Russia and China. Mostly China.

If I decrease relations to below zero, I can leave their SoI and hopefully prey on the corpse.

styriax99.jpg

Revenge will be mine!

Bavaria has friends like Burgundy and the British Empire.

styriax100.jpg

It's for Tirol.

Bavaria brought in Burgundy and all its German spherelings. Not GB, though, since they're helping me against Siebenbürgen.

styriax101.jpg

All of this amounts to nothing except for the fact I've just lost my big friend, as the Chinese gave up and withdrew. Sadly, they didn't enforce their demand for southern Ukraine.

The British Empire also peaced out, and I'm losing to Czechoslovakia in Judenburg despite having three times the numbers and defending in forest.

styriax102.jpg

Well, I though I might lose, but I hit on the strategy of "pile in more underfed peasants" and look, a Pyrrhic victory.

styriax103.jpg

Cunning plan. I couldn't negotiate with Transylvania since that would end the war. So I've added a free people wargoal on Czechoslovakia, Hungary in Slovakia, but I don't intend to enforce it.

I can now negotiate with Transylvania and take two regions.

styriax104.jpg

And a white peace from Czechoslovakia. The price of that is just 3 infamy. (total infamy now 18.05)

A side effect from China's invasion of Europe is 120,000 Chinese marooned in Styria.

I'm leaving for England early tomorrow morning, so you get a double update today.

Chapter 10​

styriax105.jpg

Landmark for Styria - it is the first country that I know of to allow women the right to vote.

Literacy has jumped to 41% and since 200 brigades is more than enough, all the soldier NFs have been switched for craftsman NFs. Styria is beginning its industrialisation in the early 20th century, and long-closed factories are being reopened. Accompanying this is a move in the world rankings, up to 10th. I'm still a long way from GP status - current 8th is Portugal, 1350, while Styria has 692.

The fascist party has been making gains recently and they could be the ruling the country soon. I'd rather have them than the useless conservatives, who have interventionism.

A downside is that people are leaving the country for Somalia.

styriax106.jpg

Some minor rebellions occur and Balkan Styria falls a bit under rebel control. Here's a battle between some communists and government forces, and I can't imagine why the government troops retreated after killing each communist a little more than once.

styriax107.jpg

Fascists!

I think that a fascist dictatorship would be better for the economy than a conservative-dominated democracy, so I may let them sit in Judenburg for a bit.

styriax108.jpg
(STYRIAN REVOLUTION: JUNE 20, 1921)

Here we go.

Styria is the world's first fascist dictatorship. There are two proletarian dictatorships: Malacca and Lübeck (The Hansa), both famous trading nations.

The DNSAP's economic policy is State Capitalism, which should be better in the long run than interventionism.

styriax109.jpg

The event option for this made me laugh. It's appropriate, since the men can't vote either.

Bavaria and Czechoslovakia have just decided to have another war. Bavaria wants to take Czechoslovak Brandenburg. If they do, all Bavaria needs to do is take the three Czechoslovak regions just south of Denmark, and sphere newly-independent-from-Burgundy Aachen and Styria, and then we get Germany.

styriax110.jpg

I'm happy to aid my ally Epirus, and I could get land out of this.

This will be the first test of the Styrian army (192 brigades) since the fascist takeover.

Bavaria, as shown, is destroying Czechoslovakia. They have wargoals for three of the four regions needed to form Germany. We could be seeing it in about 1930 if they sphere Aachen, Holstein, GB and Styria.

styriax111.jpg

I have to say I rather prefer being addressed as "Führer" over "President".

Styria'a military score is third in the world. I'm pleased, as it puts me up to rank 10. 9th is Tuscany.

styriax112-1.jpg

I added wargoals for Rumelia and humiliation later on.

Styria was ranked 9th during the war thanks to extra military points, but falls to 12th the next day.

Tuscany stopped being a great power and fell to 11th because of me and Epirus. Great Britain takes its place, who hold one required province for Germany, in Pomerania.

styriax113.jpg

Never seen this event before. But Styrian Empire? I don't think so.

Lübeck, found in Morocco, is currently under the control of German pan-nationalists and in Bavaria's sphere. Germany could be not far off, depending on whether Bavaria accepts the crown from the gutter.

styriax114.jpg

Sadly, the Bavarian king declined the chance to unite Greater Germany. Had he accepted, we would be seeing this:

styriax115.jpg

But it is not to be.

styriax116.jpg

It's 1930 and the game is nearing its end. I think I may have made the people angry with fascism. 75% of them want some sort of suffrage.

Tuscany enacted women's suffrage in 1931, joined by Bavaria in 1932.

styriax117.jpg

styriaxmap.jpg

styriaxmapstyria.jpg

styriax118.jpg

The End

Last edited:
Congrats on finishing! Good to see most lost land reclaimed and new gains as well in the end game.

Also, that's a full game of V2 in less than two pages and in just over a week, I'm impressed! :D