Stronger Federation Mechanic for Native Americans (First Nations)

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

hamburgertrain

First Lieutenant
63 Badges
Oct 5, 2009
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Surviving Mars
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Prison Architect
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Victoria 2
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Rome Gold
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
Hi all,

Over the next while I'm going to make a number of suggestions that I believe can improve the fun, flavour, and historical accuracy of some First Nations in Northern North America. I'm going to do this in multiple instalments, but to start off on a big one and look at the Federation mechanic.

Stronger Federations Concept
There should be a reduced in scale HRE like mechanic with members voting that eventually leads to Federations unifying. Strong alliances like the Iron Confederacy (Nehiyaw Pwat) of the Plains Cree, Assiniboine (Nakoda) and Saulteaux (Anihšināpē), the Seven Council Fires(Oceti Sakowin) of the Lakota, Nakota, Dakota, Council of Three Fires (Niswi-mishkodewin) of Ojibwe (Chippewa), Potawatami, and Ottawa (Odawa), and Six Nations Iroquois (Haudenosaunee) often presented as unified governments over time. Most of the multi province (and many OPMs) Nations like the aforementioned and the Huron were exactly that, consolidated federations.

Allowing federations to eventually lead to the incorporation of lands would be a fun and relatively easy addition that would make the diplomacy game and federation mechanic much more interesting. Also neat semi-historical events could happen.
Here are two historical examples:

Tthe Assinaboine (Nakoda) did not join their cultural brethren the Sioux (Lakota, Dakota, Nakota) in the Seven Council Fires but instead joined with the Cree (Nehiyaw), and later joined by the Saulteaux (Anishinaabe) in the Iron Confederacy (Nehiyaw-Pwat). Ever since they were referred to as the Hohe by the Seven Council Fires which means 'Rebels'​

After several Nations converted to Christianity (while also maintaining traditional beliefs in a sycretic fashion) and allied New France the Catholic Iroquois (Haudenosaunee) federated with Abenaki, Algonquin, and Huron. This occasionally meant conflict against the other Haudenosaunee in the Six Nations. Although this Federation never fully consolidated as some others did and general alliances reverted back to cultural lines, who is to say it couldn't have?
Once a federation fully consolidates I think the leading Nation should inherit the other and get some kind of permanent bonus (maybe +3 accepted cultures and +10% Tax income) in return for not being able to form or join other federations.This would players a meaningful choice between trying to balance large federations or just quickly incorporating an ally.

The diplomatic game could become interesting as Nations vie to lead the Federation, leave due to disagreements.

I imagine a federation strength bar similar to the Holy Roman Authority meter. federation strength could go up by maintaining leadership in the federation through elections, winning wars, Being the same religion, and hopefully the addition of certain semi annual ceremony events (about as common as Ramadan events) such as Potlatch ceremonies for west coast, Sun dance ceremonies for the plains, and midsummer clan councils for North Eastern Nations that could increase federations strength (or points for non federated) for a cost of various sort. As changing leadership should set strength to 0, I also see that losing wars badly (or war exhaustion) decreasing federation strength.

Thanks for reading, hope it isn't too confusing to follow. Obviously I need to flesh this out more, so I'm curious what all your thoughts and ideas are, particularly on what the reforms could look like.

Cheers!

• 6Like
Reactions:
Upvote 0