• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Tyrgalon

Second Lieutenant
84 Badges
Sep 17, 2012
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Knights of Honor
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Magicka
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • For The Glory
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Magicka 2
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
There needs to be a limit on how much stress you can gain from family deaths under a certain amount of time, Im playing with a custom religion with 4 wives and a dynasty with fertile members and now and then entire brances of the family (10+ people) all die from stress because a couple of them died from something casuing a stress chain reaction.

Anyone know of a way to fix this until PDX does something about it?

• 7Haha
  • 2Like
Reactions:
Yes, the stress death chain issue needs to be addressed. There may be a way through a mod to fix this, but in game the only real way I can think of besides just being lucky and not having anyone trigger the death option for being over-stressed is to have your family hate one another. You won't lose anyone when someone dies that way. ;)

• 2Like
Reactions:
There needs to be a limit on how much stress you can gain from family deaths under a certain amount of time, Im playing with a custom religion with 4 wives and a dynasty with fertile members and now and then entire brances of the family (10+ people) all die from stress because a couple of them died from something casuing a stress chain reaction.

Anyone know of a way to fix this until PDX does something about it?
Not to stop the other members of the family dying, but if you've got a lot of friends and liked relatives, you can always keep your feasts and hunting available for when the stress party starts. If they're in your court the feast might even be enough to keep some alive.

Use befriend. I have 20-25 friends and I have 70 relatives. I get zero stress. (I'm "greedy" and I get zero stress when I give away money or titles or my friends die.)

Last edited:
Friends generate the most stress for me. Basically if your character is "nice" there's almost no way to avoid it.
The stress reduction from the Confidants perk can reduce that stress to minimal amounts. As @Drstrangelove5 said, you get enough friends and you will get zero stress, even when hit with massive stress events, because the actual stress penalty gets reduced to 0 or near 0. The chain reaction may still kill swaths of your family, but 0 * [any number of family member deaths] is still equal to 0.

People are missing the point, I am not having stress problems with my character(s).
Many in my dynasty are getting huge amounts of stress when relatives die and sometimes casuing chain reactions with entire families of parents + children all dying from stress.

I want to stop brances of my family from all dying from stress due to chain reactions of relatives dying.
This is a AI dynasty/relative problem not a player problem.

Probably the simplest way, and one fairly common to the way this game functions in general, would be to eliminate stress gains either from or to non-rulers. Non-rulers either won't or can't relieve stress in the same ways players can, and there is an inherent limit to how many rulers can exist at once. Pool characters get a health penalty to hopefully off them a little earlier than scheduled, but this takes decades to build up to a critical level for otherwise healthy characters. Also, family members of rulers tend to get courtier slots, preventing them from entering the pool and wandering off.

People are missing the point, I am not having stress problems with my character(s).
Many in my dynasty are getting huge amounts of stress when relatives die and sometimes casuing chain reactions with entire families of parents + children all dying from stress.

I want to stop brances of my family from all dying from stress due to chain reactions of relatives dying.
As a fix the AI should probably only get a fraction of the stress the player gets. The AI is largely incapable of reacting to events appropriately.

Reactions:

Technically, this is a self-solving problem. When your dynasty gets too big, you suffer from stress chain deaths, thus reducing the size of your dynasty and reducing the amount of stress chain deaths.

Granted, the entire stress mechanism is wonky in its current state. Lots of things about it don't make sense, such as the stress chain reaction that occurs on one family member's death. Many experts feel that getting married is one of the most stressful events in a person's life, yet in CK you can marry/divorce/remarry at will with no stress impact at all other than possibly from personality trait issues. So I imagine this will get tweaked over time.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Granted, the entire stress mechanism is wonky in its current state. Lots of things about it don't make sense, such as the stress chain reaction that occurs on one family member's death. Many experts feel that getting married is one of the most stressful events in a person's life, yet in CK you can marry/divorce/remarry at will with no stress impact at all other than possibly from personality trait issues. So I imagine this will get tweaked over time
Probably we should not be looking at the stress mechanic from modern human psychology perspective. I assume reasons for stress were quite different at that time, while some things were a sort of normal.

How would a modern family react to going to the central square and see one or a few people being beheaded? I guess we would take it quite differently than people at that time.

How would a person (then and nowadays) react to a battle that just turns into bloodbath, with horrible injures and a lot of people crying out? This would be a huge stress now, but it was probably some stress at that time too. Yet in ck3 our character may get 50 stress from some dying friend and would get zero stress from several battles, let alone from lost ones.

In the game timeframe probably people were also getting significant stress from other things, e.g. something related to religion or nature.

• 2Like
Reactions:

Then all I can suggest is to keep as many as possible in your court, and use your feast interaction as soon as the first death occurs that's likely to cause anything like a cascade.

This might then mitigate it as much as is possible with the tools available.
You can also try educating them for traits that reduce stress gain or increase stress loss, although this is obviously more limited than is ideal.

*Maybe* befriending them in the hope that they can make use of the traits and events that come with having a friend that lower stress will fire for them, and put them on lower values before it all starts to go wrong?

Reactions:
Stress from family members dying makes sense, but it probably shouldn't stack. I.e. if you take a family loss stress event you can't take another family loss stress event for x years.

• 4Like
Reactions:
Then all I can suggest is to keep as many as possible in your court, and use your feast interaction as soon as the first death occurs that's likely to cause anything like a cascade.

This might then mitigate it as much as is possible with the tools available.
You can also try educating them for traits that reduce stress gain or increase stress loss, although this is obviously more limited than is ideal.
This is wrong-headed IMO. Whole lines of families dying to stress grief shouldn't be happening in the first place and the solution you propose only works for the players family. Unless you mean "try this in the meantime and hopefully Paradox will fix it."

Reactions:
Odd... I don't remember this ever happening, and my dynasties grow quite large. I've just instituted concubines in my current run, so I'll be keeping a close eye on this.

• 1Like
Reactions: