Straw poll - what's your favorite faction these days?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
It's a small sample size, but I find it very encouraging that the most popular faction only has half again as many votes as the least popular faction. (12% vs 18% of the vote.)

That means they're all well designed and appeal to a good portion of the players.

Reactions:
That means they're all well designed and appeal to a good portion of the players.

Yep, had the same thought, and I enjoy playing all of them.

But for me it's Shakarn all the way. Not only cool looking, but they play quite well also. Wonder what will the final (?) race be in the next dlc.

Btw one could also make a poll for Secret Techs and NPC factions :)

Reactions:
I probably will- but Secret tech feels too dependent on faction. I don't know if I personally could choose a secret tech in a vacuum.

I think you could when you look at the lore, units design or mods that you prefer. Like "I like how Synthesis hacks machines" or how Prometheans "watch the worlds burn" :D

Reactions:
but Secret tech feels too dependent on faction. I don't know if I personally could choose a secret tech in a vacuum.

My favorites Psynumbra, Xenoplague and Synthesis. Which one is my number one depends on my mood, i like the three too much. Only depending of what i want would i choose one over the other. Psynumbra to make people suffer, a lot. Xenoplague to have to make people suffer, a lot, but in other ways. And Synthesis just to upload all of the people into a digital world... and make them suffer... a lot :D

I think you could when you look at the lore, units design or mods that you prefer. Like "I like how Synthesis hacks machines" or how Prometheans "watch the worlds burn" :D

This is how you really choose which ST you like more, not the one more convenient but the one that speaks more to you :)

Shakarn. Their advantages are just simply too great right now. I used to play Assembly, but man, they blew past it bad.

Reactions:
The Shakarn are DLC-limited, so that probably affects them somewhat (hard to like a race if you can't play as them because you haven't bought the DLC).

Plus they're new. I've only played 2 games with them so far, and some against. I have no idea how high they are on my list right now.

The Kir'ko are probably genuinely least popular, though. Poor bugs. They probably don't score so high on the "cool" factor. And people like familiar things more, hence Vanguard being in the lead.

Though Amazons are only 1 vote behind at time of writing, so my current theory goes that people like dinosaurs with lasers about as much as they do space marines.

Reactions:
Considering the number of votes, you can consider Amazon, Vanguard, Syndicate, Dvar and assembly to be on par. There's not enough difference to statistically matter.

Kirko are defintiely behind, and shakarn a little too. Shakarn are new so it is to be expected. Kirko, I suspect they are not as sexy as the others, and their melee tier1 unit is not the easiest to use efficiently either. But they don't seem so far behind to be afraid of anything. The distribution is surprisingly even actually, which denotes a brilliant balance between them, both aesthetically and in gameplay.

Reactions:
Amazons were the ones that caught my eye first and I've enjoyed the most playing, or rather, the faction that speaks to me the most and goes well with my preferred playstyles. Your hero commander on a Lancer, with Veteran and Decadent for extra HP (and food decrease doesn't hit Amazons that much) is sooooo much fun and Lancer defo my fav "vehicule", almost to the point I feel that it's even superior with a leveled up hero than the tier 3 dinosaur mount, you just got so much mobility and damage, and the rest you just mod to make them invincible.

My guilty pleasure are Dvar, their core unit is just the best, even if Amazon's is amazing too. That said Dvar just adds to that aggressive melee fantasy Amazons work with too, just slower and tankier, and more melee opportunity. A melee hero commander with Juggernaut is fun to watch, just bulldozing through anything the enemy thought would save them and leaving them open for any ranged you got.

Shakarn is quickly getting up there, I've not played them much but I'm really enjoying them. As already figured, I love certain melee playstyles and Shakarn with Promethean I've found is a ton of fun with their Promethean unit being melee but still has the great AoE artillery shot. Then add the fact that Shakarn gets a pretty cool and powerful tier 3 claw weapon fairly easily that has both great melee and ranged in one, which I probably wouldn't trade for any other tier 3 melee weapon I've seen. Even then the starting melee weapon isn't bad, especially if you get the reverb AoE off. Overall though Shakarn got a fair amount of great melee units or just close-quarter, then not to mention how fun Infiltrator is at using.

I could list a lot more why I like these factions, these were just some stuff, both their theme, looks and strategic play is fun. Vanguard is perhaps another guilty pleasure just cause they're rather simple and Trooper spam with jetpacks is hilarious, and the tank is amazing. They're also a very cool generic human faction look-wise, even if they heavily rely on ranged unless with a secret tech.

Syndicate and Assembly I got a bit harder to wrap my head around, I've still enjoyed them in the campaign but I've not really learned Assembly completely to get used to how they work, and Syndicate can require more thought into it and I need to play them more. Kir'ko is similar, I've only played the campaign missions with them and not really dug into them completely. Both them and Assembly I feel I should like for certain melee options, but they don't click with me yet. I probably just need to play them in normal scenario, make a commander and pick secret tech I feel I'll enjoy with them.

Still, there's no faction I downright dislike (which is amazing) and probably won't play again, each one has its moments all around, with the same for secret techs. It's both fun playing them properly with secret tech that fits, or just trying more unorthodox ones with a more mixed playstyle. Same for when making a commander and making one that really clicks with the "roleplay theme" you might be going for.

Reactions:
So far the more humane factions, yep even the assembly, are up, the filthy xeno-scum is down :)
Stellaris Xenophobe ethos celebrates this :D

But i wonder what if the game have got all non-human races? Lets say that the Star Union falls, human disappear, the non-human inherit the galaxy so we got the same game but without the Syndicate, Vanguard, Assembly and Amazon, but with new non-human factions replacing them. How would have been the game? o_O

Maybe like Fragged Empires :)