• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Dutchman251

Maréchal
17 Badges
Apr 20, 2015
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
Are there productive strategies to spawn the institutions? I was trying to understand how to do so proactively, but the wiki was rather vague.

Moreover, are the strategies to spawn the institutions worth their cost? Spamming manufactories might be over the top in order to get it, for instance...

Investing in developing one province to spawn an institution is always worth it. It's about as expensive as westernization but you actually don't loose those monarch points. Rather you will get a lot of money and manpower back, strenghtening your country.

Getting institutions to spawn in your country is also always worth it. Build as many manufactories/universities as economically reasonable before the institution fires. If you get the centre of origin, you get a province modifier and probably can embrace the earliest. Once again saving you monarch points.

Lacost speaks the truth.

Manufactories are divine in their ability to make money in the first place - you should be making them if you can even if the institution was not a thing so, as far as your country size and income allowes, build them.
Universities are a bit different - they give no benefit in provinces you will never develop, but by the time the institution that relies on them comes around it's often late enough for me to run out of building slots or sensible buildings to make, at which point making universities around your country and especially your capital/provinces you'd want to develop is nice.

Using monarch points to develop and force an institution is all but a requirement for quite a few countries. However, you should typically not do this if the institution would spread naturally in due course. (i.e. if you are European, most of the time you wont develop Reneaissance, but you might as Russia or other countries far away from Italy and Netherlands, since it spreads slowly enough that the points wasted by paying the premium for not having the institution might as well have been spent on development to get you the institution instead - giving you permanent gains.) Global Trade is never worth developing for - you should have trade centers in your country where it will spawn and spread quickly. If you don't - acquire some. I would also not develop for Manufactories or Enlightenment.

Colonialism is one that a lot of countries have to develop for. If you are not a colonizer yourself, or adjacent and friendly to one you might wait so long for the institution to spread that you should just develop for it.

Printing Press - If European you should be able to get this via natural spread, or by going protestant and such. Still, if you are a distant European like Russia and you are impatient you can develop to speed it up, but it's probably a net gain to wait for the slow and steady spread instead. If you are not european, then this is yet another one you'd want to develop for.

To answer your questions - proactive strategies available depend on what country you are. It's possible to spawn Colonialism as Non-Europeans for instance - but it comes down to a dice roll if you or europeans gets it.

The one-solution-fits-all answer is the developing a province until it has it 100%, then you can either embrace it right away or it will spread via adjacency from there until you can.

Also when the reneaissance spawns you might want to get it via developing even if you'd get it relatively soon if you don't have any high development provinces. Having a high development (30+) capital helps you to get other institutions faster.

Are there productive strategies to spawn the institutions? I was trying to understand how to do so proactively, but the wiki was rather vague.

Moreover, are the strategies to spawn the institutions worth their cost? Spamming manufactories might be over the top in order to get it, for instance...
Get a small vassal next to the instritution, when they embrace, give them sprinkled land over your empire. Congrats, now you have the institution 50 years earlier.

The best part is you use less admin and diplo points even though you gave away several cores.

Specially useful for Pinting Press because that one's trash.

well...
depending on position you can use one of this tricks instead of devolping

as hindu nation:
Give goa to another nation portugal got event that giving them goa for free if its not controlled by player
bonus:You can sell them another very bad province so you can conquer goa back and still get benefits of portugal.

as african nation:
Let portugal/spain have 1 province near you and be ally of that one if possible(portugal pretty willing to ally you at first encounter usually atleast for me)

as japan(or anyone near him):
Colonize north america

How do the development strategy works? Do you have to develop all your provinces to absurd amount to get institutions to spread? To be clear, I'm not ranting about the cost but the fact that you may end up with several provinces in the 60s-80s development or more... Which is really unrealistic.

It's been said the break-even point for developing institutions vs. waiting for spread is 50 years of waiting.

How do the development strategy works? Do you have to develop all your provinces to absurd amount to get institutions to spread? To be clear, I'm not ranting about the cost but the fact that you may end up with several provinces in the 60s-80s development or more... Which is really unrealistic.

The development system is inherently absurd, as any tag in the world, from Uganda to NA natives, you can have the most developed city in the world within a couple of decades. And you will, or very nearly, because the strategy involves developing one province something like 20-25 times once the institution has spawned somewhere in the world. If you play your cards right it only takes about 2000 MP, which you can save up while waiting for the institution to spawn and get it yourself very soon after. You can watch the institution progress tick up and stop developing once it's present in the province.

Last edited:
It generally costs about 2000 MP to develop a province enough to get an institution from scratch.

So selecting a province with farmland and stacking other dev modifiers is the best way to do it. It's expensive, but it can be extremely productive.

The development system is inherently absurd, as any tag in the world, from Uganda to NA natives, you can have the most developed city in the world within a couple of decades.

You wrote one day wrong. Bumping up a 3 developement province to 30 in one day is one of the forgotten magics of the natives.

No, usually only one province with the cheapest dev cost you can go with. You want to place it around centres of trade or naturally high developement provinces so that the institution can spread fast. If you are a ROTW country you will want to create an institution hub where you develop each institution in a different neighbouring province. That way you will get a centre of power with 3-4 40+ development provinces which will spread the institutions super fast.

IMO institution spread isn't a big deal, you aren't going to be hitting MP cap anytime soon because you just spent it all. I would rather get 5% more dev cost reduction in a further away province from my other large ones.

I was actually not wandering about the development in order to get an institution, since I know how to. It's nice to know that 50 years waiting is the break-even point, though.

But with respect to the other institutions: How can I spawn colonialism and enlightenment?
On top of that, does anyone know whether the Victorian Three achievement (reach all techs 32 as a central aftrican nation) is still quite doable in this patch, or whether reverting to a westernization patch is better?

I was actually not wandering about the development in order to get an institution, since I know how to. It's nice to know that 50 years waiting is the break-even point, though.

But with respect to the other institutions: How can I spawn colonialism and enlightenment?
On top of that, does anyone know whether the Victorian Three achievement (reach all techs 32 as a central aftrican nation) is still quite doable in this patch, or whether reverting to a westernization patch is better?

Humiliate Rival CB is your god in that achievement, as you can milk plenty of monarch points with it doing early game at the cost of certain amounts of expansion. if you can keep yourself a rival that you can Humiliate CB a few times you'll make enough monarch points to develop your provinces for institutions as well as increase your development so you can expand faster.

When you want to spawn institution in your owned province, does it help to meet requirements for multiple provinces? E.g. if if the count of spawnable provinces is 1 mine and 4 elsewhere in the world, i'd expect 20% chance (1/5) but if i had 6 vs 4 elsewhere, would I get 60% chance (6/10)?

It should be, I didn't do it recently but after the additions of fetishist cults. I stayed fetishist all the way as Busoga and eventually controlled most of Africa, South American and Iberia. Most of the expansion was post-imperialist though, I preferred not to waste monarch points on coring too much. Keeping up in tech wasn't a problem once the first institutions are spawned, though it's a very interesting challenge to play. Fetishist republics are actually quite strong as they can switch cults every four years, should the situation call for it.

You don't try to spawn the institutions first, but you should definitely dev push them. It's expensive, but well worth it and practically risk free as the nations surrounding you will fall behind most of the world in tech soon enough anyway. Doesn't matter much if you're not up to par in mil tech on a global level then, especially if you don't have a coastline for Europeans to hit.

Get a small vassal next to the instritution, when they embrace, give them sprinkled land over your empire. Congrats, now you have the institution 50 years earlier.

The best part is you use less admin and diplo points even though you gave away several cores.

Specially useful for Pinting Press because that one's trash.

Care to elaborate on that one? It sounds like it could be useful, but can't you only give provinces to vassals if they're relatively close (is it same seazone?) or am I mistaken?
Daisy chaining vassal provinces to get an institution over sounds like it could be handy, but I'm struggling to think of a situation where I'd have a chain of provinces that I could give to a vassal without being close enough to the institution spawn already and where re-annexing provinces I had (or going out of my way to conquer a chain of new ones) isn't just more effort / mana than dev pushing.

You develop one province and have it spread, rarely going past the mid-30s iirc. The idea of 60-80 development provinces is certainly unrealistic, but probably not in the sense you're thinking.

Can't imagine V3 would be easier with Westernisation than it is now, institutions made it easier for backwater countries to tech up, not the reverse.
Only hard thing about V3 is how fanatical France / Spain / England / Portugal are about gold provinces in recent patches, the one piece of advice I'd give is to be very wary about taking gold provinces and / or TC regions along the coast until you're ready to go toe to toe with the colonisers, my run was almost ended by chain CBs from them after I took a coastal province near Kilwa for sea access.

The only one you can really control is Global Trade by controlling the largest trade node. The rest (except Renaissance that you should just ignore), you can influence your chances by maximizing the eligible provinces but outside of colonialism you are unlikely to have very good odds because the number of provinces eligible for Printing Press, Manufacturies, and Enlightment are likely to be quite high so your odds will never be very good.

Colonialism: If you plan to colonize, taking. Exploration and discovering the new world by 1500 and developing as many non-centres of trade coastal provinces to 12 gives you the best chance to spawn it.

Printing Press: if you aren’t in Germany, go Protestant and then develop Protestant provinces to 15.

Manufacturers and enlightenment, I just wouldn’t bother.