• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Table of Contents

Janha

Mr. Penguin
96 Badges
May 24, 2015
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Semper Fi
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Magicka
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Victoria 2
  • Sengoku
  • March of the Eagles
  • Europa Universalis IV
Story of the Little Kingdom
Wales AAR

BkHNHDRAvnqMPGQ3rJRpdqTNU1XRQegbPSY57n7U7Y2JCUxI-I79siAjGwWweDLP2ZDqHOe2iw8t05H-kIT8QHy17Wqxjl7dC5viKxW-yDMdWfUtPr3wzQnVVcJReNjTcyddjm30

Welcome to my newest AAR, Story of the Little Kingdom! We will be playing as a Welsh Petty King in the year of 1066. I will tell you more about him in the introduction part!

I will write a normal narrative story, telling everything from a third person point of view. This isn’t my first AAR ever. Some might even remember my older works, which sadly ended prematurely. I hope I can finish this AAR honorably!

I haven't really set any specific goals for this AAR, other than surviving till the end date. The personality of the character I am playing affects how I play. If my character is craven I won’t declare risky wars and if my character is kind I won’t torture prisoners under any circumstances. I hope this will create more realistic and interesting AAR!

I will be using all of the expansions up to Monks and Mystics, except the Sunset Invasion (also means that no Jade Dragon). I will also use some graphical mods. Click here if you want to know what mods I use!

I am not a native English speaker, so please forgive me if there are any typos or grammatical errors.

But without further ado, I hope you will enjoy this AAR!

Table of Contents can also be found in the threadmarks. I put every chapter in the threadmark list and in this post. Use which one you prefer!

Table of Contents:

Petty King Maredudd II Dinefwr (reigned 1066-1083):
Introduction
Chapter 1: Good Start
Chapter 2: Faithful Ally

Petty King Owain III Dinefwr (reigned 1083-1090):
Chapter 3: Child King

Petty Queen Gwen Dinefwr (reigned 1090-1108):
Chapter 4: Schemer
Chapter 5: Expansion
Chapter 6: Calming Potion

Petty King Meilyr Dinefwr (reigned 1108-1122):
Chapter 7: Charlatans
Chapter 8: "The Holy"

King Hywel Dinefwr (reigned 1122-1182):
Chapter 9: Farrier's Son
Chapter 10: Deus Vult
Chapter 11: Claims
Chapter 12: One Realm

First Quarter

Chapter 13: Half a Century
Chapter 14: Last Breath

King Conamail Dinefwr (reigned 1182-1231):
Chapter 15: Wicked Demon
Chapter 16: Iwerddon
Chapter 17: Tar and Feathers
Chapter 18: Alban
Chapter 19: Aquitanian Army

King Casnar Dinefwr (reigned 1231-1250):
Chapter 20: Suzerain
Chapter 21: Cursed Letter

King Gwrgeneu Dinefwr (reigned 1250-1253):
Chapter 22: In Hiding

King Maelcwn Dinefwr (reigned 1253-1262):
Chapter 23: Fourth of Its Kind

Second Quarter

Chapter 24: Two Nights Before Christmas

King Enfidaig Dinefwr (reigned 1262-1278):
Chapter 25: Word of an Epidemic
Chapter 26: Flagellants

King Asa Dinefwr (reigned 1278):
Chapter 27: At All Cost

Duke/King Gwrgant Dinefwr (reigned as the King 1278-1280/Never):
Chapter 28: Under His Bedroom's Balcony

King Custennin Dinefwr (reigned 1278/1280-1301):
Chapter 29: Simpleton
Chapter 30: Battle of Bloody Streams

King Uthyr Dinefwr (reigned 1301-1337):
Chapter 31: The Council of Commoners
Chapter 32: 1800 Little Silver Coins
Chapter 33: Llydaw
Chapter 34: Cockcrow

King Custennin II Dinefwr (reigned 1337-1357):
Chapter 35: Small Quirks
Chapter 36: Arymôr
Chapter 37: Session with the Council

Third Quarter

Chapter 38: The Last Battle

King Stoigniew Dinefwr (reigned 1357-1384):
Chapter 39: Fussy Lad
Chapter 40: Fourth Regent
Chapter 41: Great Humiliation War
Chapter 42: Love Affair
Chapter 43: The Vengeful
Chapter 44: Last Discontent Voices

King Harri Dinefwr (reigned 1384-1427):
Chapter 45: Unifiers and Disunifiers
Chapter 46: Wessex
Chapter 47: Quick Conflict
Chapter 48: Devil's Right Hand
Chapter 49: New Ruler of North
Chapter 50: Godsend

King Mihangel Dinefwr (reign started 1427):
Chapter 51: Battles of Alasehir
Chapter 52: Years of Peace
Chapter 53: Aelwyd, the Maid of Dorset
Chapter 54: Hermit King

Fourth Quarter

Last edited:
Looking forward to it!

Introduction
Introduction:

He is sitting quietly in his fancy wooden chair, waiting for his guest. He has no hurry, no rush to anywhere. He has an admirable patience.
Someone enters the room. No, it’s not the guest he is waiting for, but a young pretty maid. He flirts with the girl a little bit. Unfortunately for him, the maid has work to do and so she leaves. Silence fills the big room again.

This man, a 56-years-old elder with long gray hair and beard, is Petty King Maredudd, the ruler of the Petty Kingdom of Deheubarth. Maredudd is the head of the Dinefwr dynasty. Dinefwrs have ruled in Wales for ages and Maredudd won’t surely be the last.

8DgjVxxeTn8x3n-l7wFJ6ZxwJS8xOlSxZVN6kcsAYxWSyKqDEnRBffavRtEFikILBTxv0eYKydo5sdN91u5HnpRZsCA8YgZzEP4-cIPZ-nBSJ97cM-F8weHCp_cfXsy6g1S5gOtc

Finally the guest arrives. He apologises for being late and Maredudd forgives him. The gentlemen shake hands and sit down. They have a lot of work to do.
It doesn’t take long for the guest to notice how ambitious man Maredudd is. All of his plans are huge and, maybe in someone’s opinion, even little unrealistic.
The guest doesn’t dare to voice his opinion about one particular plan. Maredudd is the opposite, he is honest about everything. Some admire this trait, some don’t.

Maredudd isn’t the only ruler in the Welsh lands. The area of Wales also consists of one other duchy, Powys, and one independent county, Glamorgan. Glamorgan is de jure part of of Deheubarth, so many think it is the first province Maredudd will try to conquer.

67FlARNoHNpHy8zAeY9Tyqlxtm1JuZztwNrjQEV0VfkhVpbaDdV09gLhIGmUYk8jA6zp1L8hHfW4EDHtsbpp5tD12VC-m7cC-M8J_MVc64JeEDDis_xsGMSHdiM9aKzA-kP0QGHu

Finally the two men finish their work. They shake hands once again, and the guest collects all the documents from the table and leaves the room. Maredudd sits back on his chair and sighs. Today’s work is done and so he picks up a random book from his table and starts reading it...

Maredudd is one of the last members of his dynasty. He has only one brother, just as old as him, named Rhys and couple of distant relatives. To make sure that the distant relatives won’t cause any problems in the future, Maredudd ordered both of them to take vows and join monasteries. Now the future of the dynasty lies in Maredudd’s hands...

Last edited:
1066-1077

Maredudd is already 56 years old and still childless. Neither does he have a wife. All of the past wifes have departed this life before giving birth to any children. Yet Maredudd decides to try marriage once again. He asks the King Harald IV of Norge for his daughter’s hand in marriage. Harald gladly accepts, and so Maredudd is married to the Princess Ingegerd, who is over 30 years younger than him.

s-RaWUV-hmV_J4QO4VkkYn1yT4nYyIRvB3PRpsBOl6NlsFZPD6cLJ5smdSGz1xVNGf-gpyuPzzNGTWgfXDsk0vEzWAvqLYs4kMbGFkAZ8eZ3CvNlE1Mf54DbkAw4FkpxmvKXv1K1

The newly married couple isn’t the greatest match ever, but nevertheless they make Maredudd’s brother Rhys miss having a wife. Maredudd promises to find a wife for him. In May 1067, Maredudd informs his brother that the second daughter of King Harald, Princess Maria, will be his new wife. The Dinefwr and Yngling dynasties are really getting along well.

After the wedding, life becomes quiet again. Nothing noteworthy happens in the Petty Kingdom of Deheubarth until the January 1070. Maredudd informs with joy that his wife is finally pregnant. The Dinefwr dynasty won’t die with Maredudd.

Finally in autumn the first child of Maredudd is born. The child is a girl, and she is named Gwen. If Maredudd doesn’t get any male offspring, Gwen will eventually inherit the Petty Kingdom.

gUSgCeBKjiGXxM5757m781KaO-5iR7yowBsuj9ii_GrDPE6-oS5VeKIUDndRxEiUeI3savw3fDQm8LKzL7NijBT7Ko78-fQp1OLcmUIxRl-2UnhPNSmUvkLxgHMNXQVZ3iHWhh32

Ingegerd hasn’t only proven to be worthy in the household, but also in diplomacy. While visiting the Serene Doge Manfredo of Genoa, she had made so good impression that the Doge proposed a non-aggression pact to Maredudd. Even though Manfredo isn’t the most important person to improve relations with, Maredudd still signs the pact as a sign of friendship.

New autumn comes around and Ingegerd is pregnant again. Maredudd has never been so happy with a marriage. The child is born next spring and yet again it is a girl. She is named Gwerfyl.

1x9PakacrAGpfnuRB9UrchIlQ7Tw85nM2ziejsDgeprkAKCvRBZ0FwpPqQMKENL3fjAQZlA4-2ZNoLtYe2A7fYZXlxpZ2OD2T0H3P3lpeBj7ghUm0KjcQEQW4Fd3La9bhNODhEWf

Unfortunately not all the news are as jovial. The King Harald IV of Norge has passed away, leaving Olav III in control of the Kingdom. Maredudd feels that having the Norwegians as allies would benefit his realm. So a month after the death of Harald, he proposes an alliance to the King Olav. Luckily Olav accepts the proposal.

Sadly the Grim Reaper is never satisfied. Rhys also passes away, at the age of 63. He had been infirm for some years and his passing was unavoidable. He had only one daughter, Elen.

Only a year has passed since the alliance with Olav was signed, and the Norwegian King is already requesting Maredudd’s help. As the good man Maredudd is, he promises to help Olav with his wars against the Pomeranians and Scots.

sXduh3iFl_lwdpvkRjqaGsKvzQH7FrHgxR1ArMmGCIUrXOFdgrZHNx2gf-zzOUkWlz_aVrRof-ry8M3ThTUGYs9D2Cl3-txuDTuW3SFhDFvlJoCtKEnbMIad9MmK8FnUZt5I0A4Q

Maredudd gathers his troops as quickly as possible and starts leading them towards Scotland. While on the way, Maredudd receives bad news from home. Both his wife and younger daughter have fallen ill, former suffering from food poisoning and latter of pneumonia.

Maredudd trusts his Court Physician to be capable of healing the two, so he tries to concentrate more on the war. The Welsh army is greeted by the Norwegian army in the county of Moray. The allies tell that the Scottish army is farther north, besieging the province of Katanes. Instead of fighting the Scots in the battlefield, Maredudd decides to lay siege to the castle Tain of Ross. Later the next year, before the siege of Tain is even over, the King Malcolm III of Scotland surrenders. Welsh troops helped a little bit in the war, but the thing Maredudd is most happy about is the fact that Welsh casualties are close to non-existent.

uN2TSj2yL4h3bCcxcxIKHNXZdFFqWcGbYm7f1aLoKUbDn8GpLpIHOdjkDWGq70fvkUbOinmzyb78J7bq7t-yxDfvVD8-M9g1b3XrUZ3MDFg3qyWucq9ZdtvqbkPQgeBLmV65rl90

Unfortunately not everything goes as planned. Maredudd decides to return home through Ireland, but his army accidentally runs into a big group of Irish Fraticelli rebels. Even though the Welsh are outnumbered by the Fraticellis, they still win the fight and safely get home. Maredudd is also happy to find out that both his wife and daughter survived their diseases.

Fed up with his realm being divided in two parts because of the independent county of Glamorgan, Maredudd declares a war against the count of it, Cadwgan. As Maredudd only has about 1600 men of his own, he hires a Scottish mercenary band to help him out. Almost 2500 Scottish soldiers comes to Wales and joins the Maredudd’s army in the capital, Dyfed.

The Cadwgan’s army attacks 300 troops of Maredudd that were still preparing for the war in the province of Gwent. Luckily most of the Maredudd’s men escaped the massacre. To get his revenge, Maredudd leads his main army to Gwent where the enemy troops still are. The battle is quickly over, with Maredudd being the winner.

GdTD4MKpX-pzaNsPoQ2QXdRRnPxFjYUsFVhrAQ95jUGdKe8JIAS5_Lh0vuAZ1f2i_fB3Y6bHCn0pGOKcuQs9W1KDjQ29mQJT3-Q1sm4I7u1351cWz5KWJeWZGaNio8m_q2Y5AI7o

Not much later, Maredudd organises a second attack. His men are once again victorious and the enemy forces flee to Ireland. Maredudd sends the mercenaries home as he is running out of money, and lays siege to the castle Cardiff of Glamorgan.

While the siege is still going on, Maredudd gets news from his good ally, the King Olav of Norway. It seems like Olav has lost the war against the King of Pomerania, becoming his tributary.

Finally in November 1077, the castle of Cardiff surrenders and the Cadwgan accepts Maredudd’s demands: Count Cadwgan becomes a vassal of Maredudd.

pinit33K3GfWTHOjYDLIv3WCgI2W1lbWt69UANzoM3JmSwmzDZ0ZsghdCIhfZfheGlmap-z6Wg7SuL1lUpwRfbq_WbMPAIAxJBwEvaMOlSO0XOg_zDSm6CYxJW4cVkFvyB9q4Qpb

The Petty Kingdom of Deheubarth is now bigger than a decade ago. Some would call that a good start.

Extra Note:
- King Harold II of Godwin is still the ruler of England, so both William the Conqueror and Harald Hardrada failed with their invasions. Surprising to be honest.

A quick note here: I have written several chapters in advance but I won't be releasing all of them in the same day. To keep the update coming regularly, I won't necessary release a new chapter as soon as it is ready. I hope you guys won't mind this, I think this is best in the long-run.

A good beginning to the tale. One cannot but hope that the loathsome English are pushed back and all the ancient realm reclaimed.

A quick note here: I have written several chapters in advance but I won't be releasing all of them in the same day. To keep the update coming regularly, I won't necessary release a new chapter as soon as it is ready. I hope you guys won't mind this, I think this is best in the long-run.
I would say that is a generally good idea - best not to swamp and will allow a more regular posting.

But don't worry if the schedule gets interrupted.

Looking forward to it!
Welcome aboard, hope you will enjoy the AAR!

Subscribed!
Nice to see you here too, hope you will enjoy my writings!

A good beginning to the tale. One cannot but hope that the loathsome English are pushed back and all the ancient realm reclaimed.
I would say that is a generally good idea - best not to swamp and will allow a more regular posting.
But don't worry if the schedule gets interrupted.
Pushing the Anglo-Saxons out of Prydain (Britain) is something I consider an end game goal. Hopefully we will get that far!
Glad you agree with more regular posting. I'm on holiday so I will have a lot time to make chapters for days when I am too busy.

Hope you all liked the first chapter!

Ah Wales always a great place to play a game, good luck forming Prydain :)

I believe Whealisc (Welsh) is the Anglo-Saxon word for strangers. I think it is high time the Dinefwr push back those invaders' descendants.

I do consider this a good thing. AARs releasing updates too quickly makes it hard to keep up, and then inevitably they go on a long hiatus. Better to build up a backlog of posts and keep a good rhythm.

That is a good idea

1077-1083

The Petty Kingdom of Deheubarth is exhausted by the two past wars and so Maredudd decides to stay out of all possible conflicts for at least couple of years. That doesn’t prevent him from planning the next war though. Maredudd fires his old Chancellor and appoints a more skilled diplomat, an eunuch named Bekele, as the new one. Then he sends Bekele to the Irish county of Laigin to fabricate claim on it. Ireland is vast but divided, excellent place to expand to.

New summer rolls around with happy news: Maredudd’s wife is expecting a baby. If it will be a boy, he will become the new heir to the Petty Kingdom.
IK4RAXkoDJ_eekAlWZS2BM5MHJuNjalbkpU1zcFaYp45WSxwIFSSi7YIhyjgBeTzcKiP04gsgVY3NOehqnJMgkRMMFH6d04GcsNCAuvtsiccQMfqbDo9FXmReNsrpyFdoeGw5WSW

Unfortunately it seems like Deheubarth just cannot stay out of wars. The King Olav of Norge is asking Maredudd to aid him in the new war against Pomerania. Olav has been paying tribute to the King of Pomerania for years now and he thinks it’s time for it to end. Maredudd joins in the war, but doesn’t send any troops to help his ally. He sadly has no money to maintain a large army.

In November Ingegerd finally gives a birth to the third child. This time it is a boy! He is given the name Owain. As the first male offspring of Maredudd, he is also nominated as the new heir.
5hhH9fMDfLU_blhld02WGeI01V4o28Y6OExNGGefpsFoMIUX8jHPuj6GbTDOBinEEFUzntdvo8uSimx8ohP2rS7_8AtfdFNJ7GCqBtvELT3Ecdo8ZiM0rngATOPqtgRd2C4-NRVz

Olav’s war against the Pomeranians isn’t going well. Norwegians troops are outnumbered by the enemies and Maredudd still can’t send help as his coffers are almost empty.

In order to gain more gold, Maredudd releases his vassal’s, Count Cadwgan’s, wife and daughter from his dungeon for a little ransom. They had spent couple of years in the dungeon and it was high time to do something about them. The third prisoner, distant relative of Cadwgan, is released for free, as Cadwgan showed no interest in paying for her freedom.

Everything seemed to be going well. But then one day Maredudd started to show symptoms of some disease. First he started coughing a lot. It didn’t look like anything serious until he also got diarrhea and bad chest pain. Maredudd’s court physician is sure that he has cancer. Combined with Maredudd’s old age of 71, he isn’t expected to live long.​

pWyl0v130PE7cRbLYUoC9eDVzpnWSvVjLxZgYwH0Q67PJlt3RKlG6uZFrvkfbsw4Sel93kkL5h27vA5aehI8b_79f_OVpO0yfe9D-eEOCp_ZTqmE6XHm1FhGwFZtQHQKEMKA8c6L

Before his inevitable passing, Maredudd wanted to betroth his young son to someone from a powerful family. Soon this someone is found: Princess Effie, 4-years-old sister of the King Duncan II of Scotland. With the new engagement, Maredudd signs an alliance with Duncan.

5E8bq4n3o2a_klPCPOEXxAVUsd6VjcoZbAkY2F2FEVpk0Ss4To1jOVS9XZtblRuiVc8YBVssOZMjXrmZ9g5Lk2pwbyrXJ1RS8qQfd7x9FnnKsm9Z9smkNLxk3q_Kzol2NX_K369o

Unfortunately the Scots are at war with the Petty Kingdom of Søreyar. Maredudd promises to help Duncan in his war. This time around Maredudd has enough money to transport and maintain an army for couple of years. He gathers his men and marches to the North once again, this time to help the Scots.

While Maredudd is still on the way to Scotland, he gets news from his other ally, King Olav of Norge. His war against the Pomeranians have ended as the King of Pomerania has passed away. But the Norwegians just can’t take a breather. The Petty King of Connachta has declared a war against King Olav to make him tributary. Once again Olav requests Maredudd’s help. And as a faithful ally, Maredudd can’t say no.

Xou8iGZC2cu6-NJct9kVHC-sFlrV7zbcpRIW4X0htlsLaNBZw95Puok23xOrZS5S5s2-Mgp9hM_r85pp682_-x5ovSGiMatGIS66ny6UdL85bM3LGnNJa4em2--cznz1K-As5h6M

While besieging one of Søreyar’s castles, Maredudd gets a proposal from the King of Castille. He proposes a betrothal between Maredudd’s oldest daughter, Gwen, and his own son, Prince Ramiro. Maredudd happily accepts the proposal.

Even with Welsh troops besieging Søreyar’s castles, King Duncan surrenders to the Petty King of Søreyar and gives him one of his provinces. The war was a total letdown for both the Scots and Welsh.

tHXNSaaLX97WoV1Z8jpzPgopaaO3UR0FNkemTmYYGs_fbHQ0zKvOqD4epj5u9WtMrt1F6-Phm2Za4P5lOAFFIdj8qul1EMg8AAsq05ONUswx3GGPm8cuwRNl5fALAPYKB8Y6nTnv

Maredudd doesn’t lead his soldiers straight back home. As he was informed that the Connachta’s troops are in Norge, Maredudd decided to go lay siege to the enemy capital.

But sadly, one quiet night of the siege, Maredudd passes away in his sleep. He is found dead the next morning and a messenger is sent to Dyfed to tell about the passing. Maredudd’s only son, 4-years-old Owain, is coronated as the new King of Deheubarth.

G6m2AMKo2kPty6VO9F1zROmowttd6_nqJrIlC_8Ory1OqjcRVK-k2CEPoNQDuZsQXujk8ErXivoOkqD4dCDmNgCFnCaASdOlJYqFYKQpsQnwgxaX2WdtvjtYJBkuJFrOgYyXTgnW

Long live King Owain III!

Last edited:
A long regency ahead. Hopefully Owain will arrive at adulthood safe and unharmed.

Wales is always a fun arena to play in. Hopefully Owain survives his minority and leads Deheubarth to greatness.

It's also really strange seeing Pomerania and Connacht trying to make Norway a tributary - if anything, I would expect it to be the other way around.

A long regency ahead. Hopefully Owain will arrive at adulthood safe and unharmed.
The regency is long indeed. I think Owain's big sister would have been better option to be the next ruler as she is 8 years older.

Wales is always a fun arena to play in. Hopefully Owain survives his minority and leads Deheubarth to greatness.

It's also really strange seeing Pomerania and Connacht trying to make Norway a tributary - if anything, I would expect it to be the other way around.
I have thus far enjoyed playing in Wales, it sure is a fun area to play in!

Norge's situation is strange indeed. Norwegians haven't been doing well in this AAR.

1083-1090

With the passing of King Maredudd on 9th June 1083, big preparations are started in the capital of Deheubarth. Owain is coronated as the new King and as he is only 4 years old, the Count Caradog of Gwent is nominated as his regent. Neither the alliance with the King Duncan II of Scotland nor with the King Olav III of Norge is reinstated. The Chancellor Bekele is sent to the capital of Norge to improve the mutual relations. Owain needs allies if he wants to remain in power.

As the alliance with the King Olav isn’t temporarily in effect, Owain isn’t in war with the Connachta. The Welsh troops in Irelands are ordered to return home.

Finally after many months of improving relations, King Olav agrees to sign an alliance once again. Bekele has succeeded in his mission and he is sent to the next destination, capital of Scotland.

LPTizOTZkRgy4Mq37AE3ABSc781JMJRcc3_i58f-wYXUohz7QXufkoOIWAb-RLlP1N5f8yCT_DF2GAoYp3zS5rVewscDszEk6Mqsxk15WTEUg3UrZnATV3QRumgK2IdIKHHDz3e1

Much to the Welsh frustration, King Olav asks for the help of Deheubarth once again. In the same war, against Connachta. Welsh troops had just come home from Ireland, but they are raised and sent back to lay siege to the enemy capital. Yet again.

While the siege of Connachta is still ongoing, two letters arrive at Owain’s court. One from the King Duncan of Scotland and one from the Count Cadwgan of Glamorgan. Duncan is ready to sign an alliance, thanks to Chancellor Bekele. Cadwgan’s letter isn’t as friendly though: he demands the power of council to be increased! Cadwgan having the support of Owain’s regent, Count Caradog, the court cannot really do anything else than just accept the demand. The council is granted more power and Owain is in even weaker position than when he inherited the Petty Kingdom.

YDGVhfXemMgFpa5yCoTxQx3nHsfzANAf_4QVZdVJqOTI1kXEdqvVrvQTAu32UgqlGN_lLHMbvtnjJqQDREdtFQ1XSlDAAx3SRcOu8dvkk0GZXeCHg3EY7i2m_Wsjzw3HYxZBnTyl

With the vassals of Owain being so independent and powerful, court scheming happens all the time. One day the Mayor Taelisin of Carmarthen informs the realm that he is the new regent for Owain. The little boy, having no control or understanding of what is happening around him, doesn’t object this at all.

Meanwhile in Ireland, the siege of the castle Ros Comáin of Connachta is over. The Welsh troops raided the whole fortress. With his own castle conquered, the Petty King of Connachta agrees to a white peace with King Olav in July 1085. Welsh troops march home, this time with pride!

9AKK8SpY2MZCAxZYsKmpv74WSJPPSCiMGDKfUNl-IzjnGTE9K3NEW1CXFtJx9RdPs2a-tCJ_FRYhZalO8MDkYIEhZ960TD0r7VoE7ZK5WqGXg8U7u_yVJsiPv2SvUaHBXZQkUFI8

But King Olav just keeps getting into trouble. This time the King Duncan of Scotland, also an ally of Owain, declares a war against Olav in order to seize the province of Katanes. Fed up with the Olav’s need for help, Owain’s court decides to ditch him and join in the Scotland’s side! In rage King Olav slanders Owain as a betrayer, and even though Owain has no control over the matter, his prestige takes a big hit.

No rest for the Welsh troops: they are sent to Scotland, for the third in one decade. In Scotland the Welsh army spots Norwegian troops landing in the shores of Ross. 2000 Welsh men charge at the Norwegians, killing over 200 of them. The first battle is won. The Welsh troops keep chasing every Norwegian landing in Scotland, keeping the land clear of enemies.

gbV81lDRZ8aRhz2Er6bGT9CHpnR9a-N-wJvtLoE4Z3fruAUelY2tT52x5Bt8YY9QwdLr_3OPHF6WTFjnbEr9NX8fENkgMSAlkaJ7N6G-gKHEVTErY6U34vhJBYqo2MgYDemFRryX

Meanwhile in Dyfed, Owain’s court receives another letter. This time from the King Sancho of Aragon. Sancho reminds the court of the betrothal between Owain’s big sister Gwen, who just reached maturity, and the Prince Ramiro of Aragon. Unfortunately two things are blocking a marriage between the couple: Gwen is the heir of Owain, and the betrothal is patrilineal. Owain’s court renounces the betrothal, much to Sancho’s disappointment. A new husband is quickly found for Gwen, Prince Adalbert, second son of the current Holy Roman Emperor. This new marriage is not only matrilineal, but also a great boost to the Dinefwr’s prestige.

d4X-M4fW8SjS9WZO_VLXGhB6Dw2jfILgklaE8x6lZx6mTVjpNnkJoHMx25j2O9QO3-I4-B5qLS0s7xeBlVjroS9wqxxyt_yzBGv45Wv_1JIFPNJHR0n4jTJwTk_rL4A8J_yHLS70

Back in Scotland, the Welsh troops conquer the castle Tyrså of Katanes. And what a wonderful loot they find: Duchess of Orkey’s noble scepter! It is quickly sent to Owain, who really likes it. Whenever Owain has to be present as the King, he carries the scepter with him.

Couple of months later, In June 1088, the whole province of Katanes is under Welsh control. Unwilling to spend huge amounts of money to transport the army to Scandinavia, Owain’s court just orders the army to come back home and rest. Welsh troops are happy to hear that as they have fought for years in many different wars.

The most skilful Chancellor Bekele informs the Owain’s court that he has fabricated a claim in the county of Laigin, closest province to Deheubarth in Ireland. Bekele is praised and called back home to work with the internal diplomacy. A new chance to expand has opened with the claim.

zRe-nutMcfN7Sxd8hVANe3s2XuN_m2nTe_g4iB76nxW0H-43JldgmgarWPgTzX9mNHD7l9H4lznwQGOpaC5X2q4SrrMu6EnOqxbWqJgk3iHj-ewpplZR8UvXDIWCvgcH-iODixYt

More happy news arrive as Gwen informs that she has given birth to twins, a girl named Ffion and a boy named Meiryl. Sadly Meiryl was born sickly.

Finally after many years of war, in June 1089, King Duncan of Scotland sends a letter telling that they have won the war against Olav. Scots are grateful for Owain’s help. Welsh had chosen the victorious side!

The celebration of victory hadn’t even barely began when the cousin of Owain, Elen, the only child of late Rhys, gives birth to a boy. A bastard boy, named Mael. Not many are happy with this and so Elen is decided to marry off to foreign lands. Breton Count called Alan is willing to take her hand in marriage, and so she is married to him without any hesitation.

_GNfC6jI_0BL7eNItJDrQp3QdaSfnQ09qooeGnfwNnU8RAWwtSibsBLylml-LmaW9bGV9lRs-QbqM-tQJXoT4nDyBOE2E7LlGibOVP5BJT8U2zHaEVRojx1ApgWyixM6TMhsjFAX

Months later, one cold November morning, Owain’s mother Ingegerd is found dead in her bed. A week long mourning is declared all over the Petty Kingdom. She was very liked woman.

To strengthen the Scoto-Welsh relations even further, the King Duncan proposes a marriage between Owain’s second sister Gwerfyl and his own brother, Prince Malcolm. Owain’s court happily accepts this proposal.

In August of 1090, Count Cadwgan takes Owain to a hunting trip. He lets Owain take the first shot at a rabbit they quickly find in the forest. Owain takes the shot, and successfully kills the rabbit. With pride he turns to Cadwgan, who is aiming at him! Cadwgan whispers “I am sorry” and shoots Owain. Owain feels the arrow piercing his throat. He falls from the back of the horse and bleeds to death on the ground.

Owain passes away at the young age of 11, on the 20th day of August 1080. He had ruled for only little over seven years.

OdievBD9wURIHxHjzhHqbSMiwr3c0mmk-cdeg_WOTLDBWw055YlCFxFn8nu3CN-kDAAM4WL4Q1StdKtQ3mJllTw8SI1LTLZ_3C-AmPL7gmR9GVaCzAq1d-XLK7K5ckNba_AY9UW5

Extra Note:
- Count Cadwgan isn’t the mastermind behind the assassination! I will reveal the real plotter... in the next chapter.

Last edited:
Oh my. Regencies are dangerous but i didnt foresee that

Oh, poor boy.:(