• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

KiMaSa

Colonel
7 Badges
Jun 28, 2006
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Darkest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • 500k Club
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
Stormy Seas With Only the Devil for Company...

southdakotabb49yr4.jpg

Portrait of the USS South Dakota BB-49 class. The six ships of this class were traded away at the Toronto Conference of late 1922.

In the end, the truth was that they had pushed too hard. In attempting to counter balance the strength and reach of the Royal Navy, American Diplomats had unintendedly drawn those two countries most wary of American power closer together. Great Britain and the Empire of Japan had been aligned with each other since 1902 and it was this alliance which had allowed the Japanese to successfully confront the Russian Empire in 1905 without fear of being attacked by Russia's French allies. In World War I Japan had sided with her British ally against Germany.... As had the United States... But a successful conclusion to that war did not bring all the allies closer together...

Hello and welcome to my first AAR! This is Doomsday 1.3A. Many people have said that playing the US is too easy since America starts with all the resources it needs and completely safe borders... Mexico to the South... Friendly Canada to the North... And two nice big oceans guarded by the largest navy in the world. In this game I've taken some of that security away.

Japan is allied with Britain but not necessarily Democratic. There is a pretty good chance that the US will be fighting a United Japanese/British Front as well as trying to save the world from Hitler and Stalin. So in the event of War with the Allies the US will be outnumbered and with hostiles immediately on its border.

House Rules:

1) Will go with all events leading to a break between the US and Japan. IE: "Push the Mikado"

2) Will NOT ally with either Fascist or Comintern countries.

Well I'll see where this goes and hope you all enjoy!

Post Script: I forgot to mention House Rule #3. The United States will declare war on Hitler and Mussolini at the earliest possible moment.

Also given the slight increase in tension and somewhat less certain borders I've moved one step each in the directions of '"Standing Army" "Hawk Lobby" and an "Interventionist" policy plus one more step toward intervention at the start of the game.

Last edited:
Deal or No deal.....

Chapter One, Part One: The Washington Conference.

November 21, 1921.Washington DC.

American negotiators were confident at the start of this historic conference. After all the British could ill afford a massive construction program after the severe economic drain of the Great War. And Japan had ambitious designs perhaps but not the industrial muscle to carry them all out. The United States had both the money AND the capacity to out build both nations. Armed with this simple set of facts, the US delegation could negotiate from a position of strength.

The US also had one secret hole card in its possession. This was the fact that American Intelligence had cracked Japanese diplomatic ciphers and; reading their opponent's mail, knew exactly how hard they could press in this high stakes game of diplomatic poker. Unfortunately they were not reading the British hand as well...

usapstrategy4nj4.jpg

Unbeknownst to the Americans, British representatives had secretly met with members of the Japanese delegation urging them to take a harder stance with the Americans. As a result when the US pushed for a 5-5-3 ratio vis a vis Britain and Japan, The Americans were stunned when Prince Tokugawa and the rest of the Japanese delegates walked out.

Eyeball to Eyeball

Chapter One, Part Two:

tosa41yu0.jpg

IJN Tosa: Flagship of the Japanese Combined Fleet in 1941

It should at this point be noted that Great Britain did; infact, want a successful treaty. What they did not want; however, was to sign away British naval dominance and prestige. They also hoped to humble the Americans who had pushed very hard against British opposition to allow Germany to retain at least part of the High Seas Fleet. Furthermore, by showing some support for Japan they hoped to further the security of their own Far East possessions.

In the United States, senior US Admirals began to demand loudly for a resumption of the halted naval programs. As One Admiral put it: "Let them try to keep up! They'll break themselves in the effort." Yet The British had correctly surmised that Congress desperately wanted to deal. Especially before the mid-term elections of 1922. So they began to send out feelers to Washington suggesting they could convince Japan to return to the bargaining table. Predictably Congress rose to the bait and in July 1922, talks resumed. This time in Toronto Canada.

Under the resultant Treaty of Toronto, The final balance of strength among the three main naval powers worked out to a 3-3-2 ratio. Not the parity Japan had hoped for but better than the 5-5-3 plan offered at Washington. Under the provisions, Japan would have a capital ship strength of 13 ships. The United States would have 21. And Britain would have 22. These numbers are broken down as follows:
United States:
4 Battleships Colorado class
2 Battleships California Class
3 Battleships New Mexico Class
2 Battleships Pennsylvania Class
2 Battleships Nevada Class
2 Battleships New York Class
2 Battleships Wyoming Class
2 Battleships Florida Class
2 Battleships Delaware Class

Great Britain:
4 Battlecruisers Saint George Class (G-3 Class)
1 Battlecruiser Hood Class
2 Battlecruisers Renown Class
1 Battlecruiser Tiger Class
5 Battleships Revenge Class
5 Battleships Queen Elizabeth Class
4 Battleships Iron Duke Class

Japan:
2 Battlecruisers Amagi Class (Hulls 3+4 of class... Hulls 1+2 reassigned as Aircraft Carriers.)
4 Battlecruisers Kongo Class
1 Battleship Tosa Class
2 Battleships Nagato Class
2 Battleships Ise Class
2 Battleships Fuso Class

It should be noted that of these totals only the 4 Colorado class, the G-3s, and the Japanese Tosa, Nagato, and Amagi classes represent new construction, while the Delaware class; for example, dated to 1910 and these 2 ships plus the ships of the Florida and Wyoming classes were the only battleships of the big three powers equipped with 12" guns. The G-3, Tosa and Amagi; infact, being significantly newer and larger designs than the Colorados, but The US South Dakota class which would easily have matched these ships was killed by the treaty. Senior American Naval officers were furious. As one said. "These negotiations were eyeball to eyeball and Congress blinked."

One small concession granted the US the value of which was not immediately recognized was that under the original terms, each of the Major signatories were allowed to convert two battlecruiser hulls to Aircraft Carriers. These being Courageous and Glorious in Britain, Amagi and Akagi in Japan. (The Amagi being replaced with the battleship Kaga after the 1922 Tokyo earthquake) and Lexington and Saratoga in the US. However American negotiators had managed to secure a third hull; Constellation, above and exempted from treaty limits. These three carriers would prove vital to the US in the years to come.

Last edited:
Opening Moves.

Chapter Two, Rams Among the Sheep

January 1, 1936: Situation Room The White House.

Franklin Delano Roosevelt; 32nd President of the United States, stared down the long table at his advisers. "Gentlemen... I've read your reports.... Not exactly the sort of reading to help a man sleep soundly at night is it..."

Cordell Hull pursed his lips. "Mr. President, The League of Nations has clearly seen its last gasp. My people and General Craig's..." He nodded indicating the Chief of the Army. "Agree that without immediate outside military assistance, the Italians will overrun the rest of Ethiopia in sixty days. The British and French are making their usual noise but no one is listening. The Japanese are continuing to build up in Manchuria and I believe just awaiting the slightest provocation to invade the rest of China. As for Germany... "

Roosevelt nodded. Herr Hitler had come to power through violence and terror and despite the wishful thinking of many, such men did not simply awaken to peace and reason one fine morning. "Mein Kampf." Roosevelt said with bitter humor. "Hitler has laid his plans out for everyone and yet the world waits."

"Yes sir." Hull answered.

"Which brings us to what we in the Navy..." Roosevelt turned to Secretary Swanson and Admiral Standley. "And those of you in the Army..." He looked over at Henry Stimson and General Craig. "Can do if and when all hell breaks loose."

Navy Secretary Swanson grimaced. "As you know sir, most of the fleet is obsolete. Even without Toronto I doubt the navy would have gotten much out of the previous three administrations. On the other hand we can still well handle any single opponent. In case of Plan Orange it'll be tough but we still have numerical superiority. Plan Red is dicey with the British having fleet parity to ours but we're confident we can draw them to fight on our terms and whittle them down some before going head to head... If we have to go to Case Orange/Red.... We're in serious trouble."

"Yes... The British have invited us to another disarmament conference." Roosevelt noted. "But I fear we are frightfully busy and must decline our cousins' gracious invitation. Don't worry Claude. We're going to get the Navy back on its feet as soon as possible. Secretary Stimson... General Craig? The view from the War Department.

"If I said the state of the Army was deplorable Mr. President, that would be like calling the San Francisco earthquake a slight shaking." Stimson replied. "I believe Brazil has more men under arms now sir."

"We'll remedy that as soon as we can gentlemen. But I understand that other than a lack of numbers, our equipment is also sadly lacking AND badly out of date. Until we can bring up the quality of their tools to a higher standard I'd prefer not to raise thirty new divisions with antiquated weapons that we'll need to replace and consequently retrain the men with new weapons in another year's time."

"Understood Mr. President." General Craig replied. "General Marshall tells me he has already identified a promising group of younger officers to give this army a kick start sir. Once we have the tools. These men will make sure they are used properly."

"Exactly what I wanted to hear General.... Which brings me to you Henry...." He turned to Treasury Secretary Morgenthau. "Give us the lay of the land in your neck of the woods."

""Right now we're working on continuing to expand our industrial capacity with a five percent increase planned at this time by the end of the year.

"Excellent! Once that's completed... The fleet has top priority. Anything special on your wish list Claude?" The President asked.

"I'd like to ask for thirty brand new battleships sir... But Christmas was last week and frankly I wasn't that good anyway." He smiled. "What we really need however is more carriers and some new destroyers and light cruisers. The screening forces we currently have are not only too few but woefully obsolete. Of the three types, we still need time to develop better screening units but the Fleet's new carrier... Yorktown is an excellent ship. She'll be just as capable as the three big sisters sir."

"How many carriers Claude?"

"As many as you can give us."

"General Westover.... I'm afraid that doesn't leave a whole lot for the Air Corp." Roosevelt said pursing his lips.

"That's normal for us sir." Westover replied. "Besides we need better planes, not just more of them... The P-26s and P-35s just aren't good enough today. Also we've gotten reports from Germany of a new ground attack aircraft called the Ju-87. We're hoping that in cooperation with the navy we might develop a similar or better model."

"Speaking of intelligence... What about our intelligence networks?"

"We've cast a wide net sir... Unfortunately it isn't very deep." William Friedman answered honestly. "Most of the countries we're most interested in have developed paranoia to a fine art."

"And what about foreign agents running lose in our own ranks Edgar?"

FBI chief Hoover leaned forward. "Right now there are foreign spies operating at all levels in this country. But as soon as I return to my office, 'Operation Roundup' begins and I promise sir that we'll nail every single one of those sons of bitches."

"Then get going Mr. Hoover and keep me informed." Roosevelt replied.

"Yes sir!" Director Hoover rose and left at an eager pace.

"Does anyone else have anything to add?" When no one spoke he motioned to his aide to pull his chair from the table. "In that case gentlemen, this meeting is adjourned..."

screensave1cr9.png

Feedback

Now to answer my feedback.

Cascadia: I've started but it's anyone's guess where the road will lead. I can only hope to write as well as you sir.

rcduggan: Thank's! I'm gonna need it! ;)

EmprorCoopinius: Glad you think so!

So there's our start. Any advice or suggestions from the audience?

Hrmmm. I think you summarized it pretty well in your cabinet post, Navy first, Army second, Air Corps last. The only thing I might add is wait for '38 models on light cruisers and destroyers, you can have them researched by mid '37 with the naval tech teams the US has, and they're far superior ships to the '36 models.

1936: Over there.

The Breeze

In January 1936, few could have imagined the terrible storm the next few years would bring. Even fewer could have imagined the awesome and terrible scope of that storm as it swept across the world affecting the lives of everyone on Earth forever hence. Yet traces of that storm could be seen. A breeze; if you will, heralding the tempest to come.

On March 7, 1936, German Chancellor and Fueher Adolf Hitler took his first outward steps to challenge the Western allies. In clear defiance of the Treaty of Versailles and against the advice of his generals; who believed that a swift response from the Allies... particularly France, would be forthcoming, Hitler ordered thousands of German troops into the Demilitarized Zone of the Rhineland. The Fueher's gamble paid off as the West; unwilling, to face any conflict, declined to act. As with all great tragedies, this would only be the first of many lost opportunities to turn away the coming disaster.
rhineland36wd3.jpg

German troops enter Koblenz, March 7, 1936.

Surprisingly; contrary to Secretary Hull's estimates, Ethiopia held on doggedly well past the two months predicted. Unfortunately the bravery and courage of Ethiopian soldiers would still prove insufficient in the face of the modern weapons of the Italian Army. Addis Ababa fell on April 29th and Haile Selassie went into exile as the King of Italy was proclaimed Emperor of Ethiopia.
screensave11qs2.png

In Spain, January saw the election of the Popular Front. But on July 26, a group of Army officers launched a revolt that exploded into a vicious civil war. The Republican forces soon drew direct support and aid from the Soviet Union while the Nationalists received support from Germany and Italy. For all to witness, Spain would be the rehearsal for what was to come.
screensave26sg2.png

The lines of Republican and Nationalist forces at the start of the Spanish Civil War.

In China an event was to take place that would prove a disaster for that nation's future.In early May, Chinese warlords abducted General Chiang Kaishek in Xi'an demanding a united front to counter the threat of Japanese aggression. Chiang promised this, but upon his release and return to Nanjing he went into a furious rage. Ignoring the cooler counsel of his wife, Chiang immediately issued arrest orders for the men who had abducted him, branding them as traitors to China. This rash act would plunge China into even more devastating war and ensure that Japan; when it attacked, did not confront a nation united.
screensave18lo3.png

screensave23np7.png

screensave52rv3.png

The state of China at the end of 1936.

Among the Allied nations, January 20th brought the death of King George V in Britain. He would be succeeded by Edward VIII who would abdicate the throne to his younger brother Albert; King George VI, on December 11.
georgevismpp2.jpg

King George VI.

And Finally in Japan, 1936 would see two attempted coups against the state. Starting with the abortive 2-26 coup in February that was put down. Later a second rising this time by Fascist elements would succeed in turning out the Government.
screensave47ee1.png

Up next: Homefront USA.

EmprorCoopinius said:
Hrmmm. I think you summarized it pretty well in your cabinet post, Navy first, Army second, Air Corps last. The only thing I might add is wait for '38 models on light cruisers and destroyers, you can have them researched by mid '37 with the naval tech teams the US has, and they're far superior ships to the '36 models.

Exactly so. Rest assured that it will be Brooklyns and Fletchers that I lay down. However the older ships I already have will find a use. The old Omaha and Clemson classes will have their day when and if Operation Monroe is put into action.

I'm glad I got in near the ground floor on this one, my friend.

Looks like you may have an AAR, to steal a line from a favorite movie of mine (In Harm's Way), that will turn into a "...A gut bustin', mother-lovin' Navy war!"

Outstanding!!!

Draco Rexus said:
I'm glad I got in near the ground floor on this one, my friend.

Looks like you may have an AAR, to steal a line from a favorite movie of mine (In Harm's Way), that will turn into a "...A gut bustin', mother-lovin' Navy war!"

Outstanding!!!

It looks that way! And of course let's not forget the French and Italian Fleets AND the Kriegsmarine will also most likely all be on the menu. I've played up to March 1938 and I can tell you that one major event has already happened that may make the job all the harder!

Of course when it comes to having "A gut bustin' mother-lovin' AAR... That's still you sir! And I do hope you get to keep THE ANGRY MOB TM over there (We're low budget down here... Instead of torches and pitchforks... Just a guy with a BIC lighter and a salad fork. ;) )

KiMaSa said:
Of course when it comes to having "A gut bustin' mother-lovin' AAR... That's still you sir! And I do hope you get to keep THE ANGRY MOB TM over there (We're low budget down here... Instead of torches and pitchforks... Just a guy with a BIC lighter and a salad fork. ;) )

Make that two! When there are massive carrier Battles I am never far away!

Usa 1936

36': The Home Front

In January 1936, the thoughts of the average American were far from thoughts of war in distant lands. For many Americans, their thoughts were of new factory openings and the prospect of jobs with paychecks that had real buying power. So a man who worked hard could occasionally afford a few niceties. Finally it seemed America was rising from the tumult of the Depression...

But in Washington,the man elected to lead them looked out on a troubled and uncertain future. Could he awaken his nation in time?

December 31, 1936:

"All right Henry. Let's see this little slide show that you've put together." Roosevelt said taking a puff on his cigarette. The smoke seemed to dance in the light of the projector.

"Yes Mr. President." Morgenthau replied and nodded to the projectionist. "These first two slides show our Production schedule at the start of the year."

screensave2qx1.png

screensave3qa9.png

"As you can see, almost all of our effort was aimed at upgrading our overall industrial base, minus the existing naval construction underway and the expansion of the Merchant Reserve Fleet." Morgenthau noted. "Frankly I would have preferred to expand our capacity further... But given the needs of the military and the projections laid out there just isn't enough time... Next slide... Now you can see here that we were able to lay down a second Yorktown Class ship in May. USS America should be ready for sea come January 1938. Yorktown herself commissioned at the end of September and the Navy tells me she's exceeding all expectations. In the meantime the keel for the Wasp was laid as soon as Yorktown cleared the slip. Also, the boys over at Newport News are looking into some improvements in the design... No guess as when they'll be satisfied enough to present the details to the navy but they're not sitting on their laurels. The Navy also added the new Heavy Cruiser Quincy to the fleet back in June, with the Vincennes laid down just last month."
screensave38pf9.png

"What about our research efforts?" Roosevelt asked.

"Very good The Norfolk and New York Naval Shipyards are pressing ahead with Secretary Swanson's request for new cruiser and destroyer types. The Air Corps is testing the prototypes for several new fighter planes and has begun reequipping its Interceptor squadrons, and the Army is not only busily updating its infantry formations, but are seriously pursuing Armor concepts.... They had a design called a 'Tankette' but they tell me Colonel Patton told them to and I quote: 'Take this damn toy back and bring me a real tank dammit!' And actually I'm told the wording was a little more colorful."

Roosevelt laughed. "We need to get that man a star! I trust we are endeavoring to accommodate the Colonel?"

"Yes sir. The new T4Es are coming off the line in strength. The Army plans to equip three divisions with them."

"Good! Good! What more good news do you have for us?"

"We've managed to incorporate a series of new innovations and refinements that have increased our overall productivity another five percent."

Roosevelt nodded. "Very good Henry. Keep me me informed." Roosevelt looked around at his advisers. "If you'll excuse me gentlemen... I need to have a little chat with John Q. Public!"

In Game.

Okay. Here are the in game screens for a hands on look at my tech development during 1936. Unfortunately I had some initial trouble with screensaves so I only have from April 1936...

screensave8zw7.png

screensave16bt9.png

screensave25wn5.png

screensave34qb0.png

screensave50or9.png

Pretty straight forward. Bringing up my Cruisers and Destroyers as well as my basic infantry. With the Tanks. I'm planning on using one Corps of armor If I need to launch Operation Wolfe. Also I need to start laying the foundations of my Airforce somewhere. I have B-17s so fighter development and at least a basic Close support capacity seem a good place to start. Some may ask why I'm researching Oil refining since the US is self sufficient in oil... Simple... In the long run I may need the 5% boost in industry from plastics. It's going to be a long war and I'll take any advantages I can get!

Last edited:
Why do I get the feeling that you will rush carriers to circumvent the BB restrictions? :D

trekaddict said:
Why do I get the feeling that you will rush carriers to circumvent the BB restrictions? :D

Well I plan to have 10 carriers operational by 1940. Also will need to build some CVLs soon to cover my Battleships. After the US gets geared up I'll probably build some new Battlewagons but right now I've got enough old ones for the fire support role.

Up Next: Fireside Chat!

Let us reason together....

Fireside Chat:

fdrfiresidechatmarch193og2.jpg

"My friends... Of all of our freedoms, the right to be safe in one's home is one of the most fundamental. Tonight I would like to relate a story to you. It's a very common sort of tale that happens all the time in this country...

"Picture; if you will, two neighbors. Now these two chaps aren't always the best of friends. Infact they quarrel alot. Now one fine day we find our two neighbors quarreling again. It starts; as most arguments do, over something which would seem rather small, but escalates as both parties stand in the unwavering conviction of his own rightness. Harsh words are exchanged as voices grow louder and fists are raised in the air!

Fortunately all their racket has drawn the attention of other neighbors and the authorities are called. When they arrive, the police separate the two fellows and take them each aside to listen to their stories. Tempers calm and a peaceful; if imperfect, resolution is made. Peace returns to the neighborhood...

Now that's all we wanted of our friendly neighborhood policeman. We didn't want to see anyone hurt or arrested. We just wanted to get things talked out and restore Peace.

Contrast then, this scenario....

You have just retired for the evening after a hard day's work.You are settling into a fitful sleep when suddenly you hear a crash in the living room. You get up cautiously and peer out your bedroom door to see a burglar in your home. He's big, dangerous looking and may be armed....

Fortunately your good neighbor across the street heard him breaking in and has called the police. Now when the police get there... What do you want them to do? You certainly hope they are better armed and prepared than this hulking Brigand. Most definitely you want this man out of your house! You want him gone before he gets his hands on your hard earned nest egg that you've been saving... Or worse... before he can harm you... Or your children who are asleep in the next room.

What you DON'T want is for the police to sit down with this man at YOUR kitchen table and begin negotiating with him over what he can and can't steal from you. With our neighbor we wanted peace, but here we want peace AND justice!

Justice often involves struggle and conflict, friends. Let us hope that the policeman decides that it's worth him risking his neck to protect your home, your property, your family! Let us pray that he doesn't turn to the robber and say. 'Plunder this house... Just don't rob the next one.' And neither should your neighbor sleep soundly if he did.

And so it is with the community of nations... We must never be afraid to talk peace among quarreling neighbors... But when confronted with nations that persist in acting as Thugs and Brigands, we must not shy away from possible confrontation. Peace without justice is a false peace and we cannot secure true, lasting peace by sacrificing the security of others. To do so also endangers our own safety and that of OUR children as well.

By demonstrating our resolve to deny that illusionary peace...By standing against evil wherever it lurks. We may secure TRUE lasting peace and prosperity under God!"

Last edited:
Good work my dear sir. This perfectly illustrates the Doctrine you will go if read this correctly.