Stop AI cheating at NORMAL Settings

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Von Thoma

Major
92 Badges
Dec 29, 2004
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Supreme Ruler 2020
  • Supreme Ruler: Cold War
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Pride of Nations
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Semper Fi
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Cities in Motion
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Commander: Conquest of the Americas
  • Deus Vult
  • East India Company
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Heir to the Throne
  • King Arthur II
  • Lost Empire - Immortals
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
and force them to use human rules.

Last game with 2.0.1 that happens in my game
... like ignoring ZOC from forts. AI armies passing left and right through them. I wasn't allowed to do that, what is good, maybe make it even more hard.
... AI didn't pay proper for their armies. Before war he had +20gp per month 100 000 reserves and 1000gp ,
I had +180gp / 300 000 men / 40000 gp reserves ,,, when war started, we bought all Mercs around us ....
AI (Rome) also, was losing near each battle ...
after 30 years I had nothing left from the surplus, but rome still was coming with the same armies again and again

STOP THAT, I am sure that code was still from that first dev team, which was unable af ...
so please remove that ...

or maybe the penalties to going into minus is too small or not working at all ????

I also had supported the rebels against rome all the time, NOTHING HAPPENS in that 30 years
PLEASE have a look

SPECIAL at that fort issue, shouldn't be that AI could move around them ...

THX

• 3Haha
  • 1Like
Reactions:
and force them to use human rules.

Last game with 2.0.1 that happens in my game
... like ignoring ZOC from forts. AI armies passing left and right through them. I wasn't allowed to do that, what is good, maybe make it even more hard.
... AI didn't pay proper for their armies. Before war he had +20gp per month 100 000 reserves and 1000gp ,
I had +180gp / 300 000 men / 40000 gp reserves ,,, when war started, we bought all Mercs around us ....
AI (Rome) also, was losing near each battle ...
after 30 years I had nothing left from the surplus, but rome still was coming with the same armies again and again

STOP THAT, I am sure that code was still from that first dev team, which was unable af ...
so please remove that ...

or maybe the penalties to going into minus is too small or not working at all ????

I also had supported the rebels against rome all the time, NOTHING HAPPENS in that 30 years
PLEASE have a look

SPECIAL at that fort issue, shouldn't be that AI could move around them ...

THX
Forts not exerting their ZoC properly or even being overrunned is an issue, but for sure not an AI cheat - it is buggy behaviour, sometimes helping the human, sometimes the AI; there are enough examples, I have seen them either way myself ( https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/i-r-fort-zoc-not-blocking-movement.1385073/ and https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...instead-of-being-forced-into-a-siege.1418119/ )

I doubt that the AI cheats with income/costs on normal. What you are describing is far from proofing anything - there could be legal moves (like reducing wages, increasing taxes, national ideas, inventions, trade), events (including the debt ones) or whatever else behind that AI performance.

We have though areas where the AI gets such extra rules to help them even on normal. For a recently hot debated one, go here:

And you are also free to dig out the battle axe vs. the advantage the AI gets, when it comes to reforming a tribe into a Monarchy or Republic :)

Reactions:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
I don't think AI cheats in normal, the only thing I don't understand is seeing an agressive AI ( For ex I have -300 opinion of them because of AE ) with 75 stability, and it is still going up

Reactions:
The A.I cheat in normal for province loyauty, when that go down that get a +30 bump, someone on reddit seen in the code ! its why rome, seleucid, maurya or egypt never falls apparts now .... not sure about other things but they probably cheat with general or governor loyautly too !

Reactions:
Since it's a post about AI, I'd like to make it slightly less accusative and with a wider scope.
Some AI behaviour is questionable. Such as AI allies not staying near larger allied armies and going off to die, constant move orders just to be quickly cancelled the very same second resulting in the Paradox AI dance (this is present in all Paradox games however) or a frustrating example in my recent game, an allied army sieging down a fort, all the way to 42% positive, just to abandon the siege for no reason to go attack an army 3 times their size, alone.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Came here because I had my suspicions. Didnt think that it would be this bad. Since achievements are not working on my Iron Man saves anyway I thought why not get rid of this AI cheat via a mod. Was faster to create one than to dig through the horrible Steam Workshop search x) Just search for "Remove ai Cheating Province Loyalty". Maybe this brings some joy back :)

Reactions:
I'm only in favor of removing the loyalty 'cheat' when it accompanies the neccesary AI improvements. The AI can't seem to reliably deal with AE and stability at the moment and suffers endless civil wars and rebellions.

Reactions:
I'm only in favor of removing the loyalty 'cheat' when it accompanies the neccesary AI improvements. The AI can't seem to reliably deal with AE and stability at the moment and suffers endless civil wars and rebellions.
Being now 80y into a game without the 'loyalty cheat', I have yet to see an AI falling apart because of it. Yes, they are more often engaged in putting down revolts, but the suceed in most cases and take the land back without probelems; sometimes the new one-province states become vassals instead or keep their full autonomy for some time. And the big empires still wage wars vs. other nations. Rome isn't really hit by it anyway (the Antagonist modifier likely compensates alot of potential trouble).

I personally like the more dynamic gameplay - and it feels a lot fairer, if for example the AIs are forced into running harsh treatment with their governors as well to get their loyalty back up again. Of course, I'm not against making the AI even better with empire managment. The question is just how to achieve that best - improving their logic to play the game better is one thing, but I'm convinced they would also profit, if e.g. the governor policy mechanics are adjusted (most important, governors being able to change their self-picked policy, if circumstances change)

On the ZOC issue, this isn't actually the AI cheating, assuming they're occupying territory around the fort. You can always leave a controlled territory in any direction, so if you're stuck at a fort that has neighbouring territory, occupying that territory will let you bypass the fort. However, this will also mean you have no retreat route - assuming the fort blocks your only exit from the region you're entering - so it will make you vulnerable to stackwipes once the territory has been re-occupied by the fort. I don't like the change, but understanding that you can use it too helps with the sensation that the AI is cheating.