Stone Age, primitive start option?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Timurtash

Private
17 Badges
Mar 19, 2021
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris
I really want that kind of primitive start option from the beginning. Please don't say "play IR, CK, EU etc." i know those games, everyone knows. I want brief primitive play option "inside" Stellaris also that will make gestalt consciousness primitives necessary. Also this, can make "advanced empires" setting unnecessary. I just want super fast, brief Stone Age starting option for every empire. Anybody who wants that kind of content?

• 1Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
What I imagine happening every game.

An AI empire builds an oberservation post and you cannot progress past space age.
Alternatively you CAN progress past, but then so can all other primitives. (I want equal rules for players and AI where possible)

Neither of these options seem appealing, with the second one being a situation I do not want to go back to.

An AI empire builds an oberservation post and you cannot progress past space age.
Alternatively you CAN progress past, but then so can all other primitives. (I want equal rules for players and AI where possible)

Neither of these options seem appealing, with the second one being a situation I do not want to go back to.
I meant brief gameplay, i don't want to play primitive for hours too and AI empires can be activated once player reach space age. Ploblems can be solved, just want primitive start option.

Is the idea you just want a series of events where you choose your civics rather than choosing them in the empire screen? Or you just want more detailed flavor test when the game starts? Otherwise I’m not sure what this request is exactly.

Reactions:
There's a mod out there that accomplishes what you want, but the last time I saw it, it was still very much alpha. YouTuber Ep3o did a let's play video on this mod, and unfortunately his game crashed the moment he tried to send the first hyperdrive equipped ship to a nearby star. Might be worth watching his video and tracking the development of the mod if you're interested. Don't have the link to the video handy but you should be able to find it on his channel.

I really want that kind of primitive start option from the beginning. Please don't say "play IR, CK, EU etc." i know those games, everyone knows. I want brief primitive play option "inside" Stellaris also that will make gestalt consciousness primitives necessary. Also this, can make "advanced empires" setting unnecessary. I just want super fast, brief Stone Age starting option for every empire. Anybody who wants that kind of content?
That sounds like a fun game.

It also doesn't sound like this game.

Reactions:
What do you imagine that gameplay would be like?

What meaningful choices would you really have? There just isn't enough content on any one planet to fill up any playtime: there aren't even continents or anything.

I'm all for gestalt primitives though. And machine intelligence primitives, and mechanist primitives, and other primitives representing the diverse origin possibilities.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I would like a start like that. More than that though, I'd like a start that's just the start from early versions of Stellaris, before a lot of early game techs were turned into starting techs. Researching basic features like Tier 1 shields and weapons was fun and made for far more interesting early game tech options and diversity.

Primitives absolutely can progress past space age though. When they do, they take over the system they're in (including any other planets on it - even those colonized by another empire) and become a new regular empire. I usually see it happen at least once per game.

Reactions:
You actually can. It's a DLC called Dawn of Man.

But in all seriousness, maybe stoneage origin isn't such a bad idea. The back story would be that the civilization has literally been kicked back to the stone age, and they gradually gain technologies back through some event chains and progress through the ages at an unnatural speed. And it won't even be disadvantageous either, as you discover technologies that some empires won't even have in the early game. But I'm just typing out of my a$$ here.

Honestly though an origin as uplifted species by some mysterious benefactor doesn't sound half bad either.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
To be honest, if you want this idea to be seen as even a remotely viable option, you should probably write a few paragraphs about what exactly you're envisioning.

Explain what exactly you want to see, how it can be implemented with reasonable effort, what players would gain from it, and why it is something that is worth spending time on over spending time on other things.

Right now, this thread is just a very vague "Wouldn't it be cool, if...?", and you don't seem to have though it through at all.

• 6Like
Reactions:
Well, a start as a primitve (I wouldn't start in the Stone Age era, though) and than protectorate with the new vassal options could be something fun and challenging to play with a decent event chain to keep up. It delivers the player also with something like an "aged" universe without the players early game influence.

To be honest, if you want this idea to be seen as even a remotely viable option, you should probably write a few paragraphs about what exactly you're envisioning.

Explain what exactly you want to see, how it can be implemented with reasonable effort, what players would gain from it, and why it is something that is worth spending time on over spending time on other things.

Right now, this thread is just a very vague "Wouldn't it be cool, if...?", and you don't seem to have though it through at all.
Thank you. It's the most helpful comment. I will write about it.

Does it have to be stone age specifically? Because you can't go from stone age to being a spacefaring civilization in, like, 100 years of in-game time. Average game only lasts a couple hundred years.

It would be more viable if you started in the early space age (primitive space station above planet, no starting techs) and perhaps you then began receiving help from a nearby xenophile empire that's uplifting you. Sort of like the Vulcan guiding the human development in Star Trek. This would be an alternate take on the current scions origin.

I mean, the average game lasts what 500 years? (far too little for the genres its emulating) so your Neolithic civ on one planet gets, back then if we are generous, and you were right at the end of the Stone Age you might just hit bronze?

Assuming you do get into space, every other civ will have a huge tech and territory lead, I'm not seeing the fun.

Now if the game had a proper galactic life cycle, with an almost natural rise and fall of civilizations instead of a crisis inflicted end game? I could see fun in being a sleeping giant, playing slow and safe and small to be overlooked by one age's crisis, and then go pig at the trough when the crisis passes, but as it is the game's timeline is just too constrained for that kind of arc.

• 2Like
Reactions: