• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Agreed, first play through I want to experience as much of the game as possible - will also inform me on what various different self imposed styles could be fun/doable for later playthroughs.

I feel like the OP's suggestion may not be 'Stock' in the truest form, but I feel it keeps the general spirit of it. I think that if you wanted to run a mech with the flavor of it's original loadout, that idea keeps the mechs true to their stock character.

I don't think we will have much of a realistic option to "stay stock" if we want to be able to drop, at least not in the early game. Replacing an AC/5 with an AC/2 might take the 'Mech from "stock", but it will also put the 'Mech on the battlefield - and I assume we're not going to have the luxury to be picky enough to say that "it stays in the hangar until I can get hold of another PPC". Later in the game, sure that might be a possibility, but not starting out.

I don't think we will have much of a realistic option to "stay stock" if we want to be able to drop, at least not in the early game. Replacing an AC/5 with an AC/2 might take the 'Mech from "stock", but it will also put the 'Mech on the battlefield - and I assume we're not going to have the luxury to be picky enough to say that "it stays in the hangar until I can get hold of another PPC". Later in the game, sure that might be a possibility, but not starting out.

Exactly. Attrition in the campaign mode will force us to be creative with the tools we have at hand. While I'm also a huge fan of stock Mechs (more individual mech personality that way), I rather have a Mech cobbled together, than do a drop with an under-strength lance because I couldn't get over my focus on "stock" mechs.

Exactly. Attrition in the campaign mode will force us to be creative with the tools we have at hand. While I'm also a huge fan of stock Mechs (more individual mech personality that way), I rather have a Mech cobbled together, than do a drop with an under-strength lance because I couldn't get over my focus on "stock" mechs.
Indeed. If putting an AC/5 on a CN9-A in place of a destroyed AC/10 (and adding another LRM-10 and a ton of ammo if I have them handy) makes me able to drop a full lance, that's what I'll do. If I later get hold of another AC/10 that Cent might go in for a refit again and go back to stock, but if it's a choice between going non-stock and not dropping, I'm going non-stock. I have bills to pay! :)

I am pro-stock 'Mechs, but I am also pro-not-going-bankrupt :)

Wouldn't replacing destroyed equipment technically require the mechlab?

Wouldn't replacing destroyed equipment technically require the mechlab?

In the campaign it is the mechbay but in skirmish/out of the campaign it will be the mechlab from what I gather.

Effectively they are the same thing, just different names.

A complete play through with stock 'Mechs is something I would attempt as an achievement to unlock, after I'd already won the game several times. I've played with the manual MechLab, and it's too much fun!