• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Strager

General
10 Badges
Jan 9, 2007
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Stellaris Sign-up
Still waiting on news of LAN multiplayer - I'd love to be able to play more than single-player up at my gaming cabin when we have LAN parties, but the multiplayer in this currently still only seems to support online play.

Reactions:
Switch and lan. obvious functions. Nah lets not do it..

Yeah, obvious for you maybe? They mentioned somewhere they did consider LAN but due to other priorities they didn't have time to impelment it properly and decided to first work on multiplayer balance and stability.

They did a step forward with bringing the game to consoles (PS & Xbox). The experiment was succesful so they might consider bringing it to Switch. Which is not easy. Games like Battle chasers which had its Switch releases pushed by a few month or Bloodstained which took a few moths to get a stable port show that developers have issues with porting games to Switch due to its specific nature (and in some cases technical downgrades).

And Triumph is not that big of a studio as you might think.

I don't think the Creator Engine is even equipped to run on Switch, so first that would need to be addressed. After that come turn times, during a normal game these can already be quite long. Just imagine what those would be like with the Switch's CPU.

IIRC there is no LAN option due to the hybrid turn system. In order for MP games to be able to switch seamlessly between Sim Turns and PBEM they needed a different solution, which became the PDX/Platform servers. And then of course like Dragon says, Triumph is a studio of about 30/35 people.

Reactions:
IIRC there is no LAN option due to the hybrid turn system. In order for MP games to be able to switch seamlessly between Sim Turns and PBEM they needed a different solution, which became the PDX/Platform servers. And then of course like Dragon says, Triumph is a studio of about 30/35 people.

Yep I didn't have time to browse through the forum, but I remember devs explaining under one thread pretty much in detail why there's no LAN in current implemetation.

I don't think the Creator Engine is even equipped to run on Switch, so first that would need to be addressed. After that come turn times, during a normal game these can already be quite long. Just imagine what those would be like with the Switch's CPU.

There was no LAN in AoW3 either, yet there was no hybrid turn in AoW3. It's a fake reason for no LAN mode. Even a LAN mode without hybrid turn would be easy to do.

My bet is on cheap piracy prevention. I am indeed very disapointed.

Reactions:
Why exactly is the Internet not acceptable for a LAN party these days?
I can't say I recall the 'fun' of trying to solve all the network issues as a major component of the enjoyment.
I was about being able to hang out with friends and do big multiplayer games, with music and munchies.
Why would the game routing data through the Internet affect that at all?

Why exactly is the Internet not acceptable for a LAN party these days?
I can't say I recall the 'fun' of trying to solve all the network issues as a major component of the enjoyment.
I was about being able to hang out with friends and do big multiplayer games, with music and munchies.
Why would the game routing data through the Internet affect that at all?
First, when you have several people on the same internet connexion, it might not give a good experience if it's not a good connexion enough. Sometimes, you don't even have internet at your disposal and still would like to play computer games with your friends. Well, now it's forbidden. Bad to board games I guess.

Second, when time will have passed, in some years, paradox will be bored to pay for this games' servers so they will shut them down. Then you won't be able to play this game in multiplayer anymore. You will even lose many functionalities because you won't even be able to log in with your account.

Age of wonders 1 and 2 lasted for two decades and I'm sure some people still play them. Age of wonders Shadow magic went out in 2003. Age of wonders was in 1999. I bet paradox's servers for this game will have shut down long before 2037.

• 1Like
Reactions: